Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 07-06-2011, 1:02 PM

Default Jammed take down pins on my HK MR556A1

I finally had a chance to fieldstrip my MR556. It all went fine except that I had to take a hammer to pound out the take down pins and then to pound it back in but it won't go all the way back in. Any suggestions? I have never had that kind of problem with a takedown pin before and I don't want to scratch up my rifle. So, I don't want to pound the cr** out of the pins just to get them back in the rifle. thanks.
Old 07-06-2011, 1:23 PM

Have you tried cocking the hammer back before putting the upper back on? I've never heard anything about it one way or the other, but I do it every time. I had really tight takedown pins at first (not an HK) and this helped take some tension off. I had to use a punch the first couple times to get the upper off, but they loosened up over time with repeated use.

Last edited by Z.1; 07-06-2011 at 1:25 PM..
Old 07-06-2011, 1:31 PM
Veteran Member

You really don't want to force it. Look through the hole, is it obstructed even a little bit? Try to wiggle it into place. On my PTR the pins are pretty tight. I think HK spec just uses close tolerances with their pins.
Old 07-06-2011, 1:33 PM

I suggest getting some aftermarket take down pins. You know, the kind where you can remove them by hand? I have some and it feels good not to have to beat the crap out of her when I need to break her down.
Old 07-06-2011, 1:46 PM
Calguns Addict

put a little lube on them.
Old 07-06-2011, 1:49 PM
Banned

use a bigger hammer
Old 07-06-2011, 1:55 PM

Is it a real tight fit between the upper and lower? Have you tired compressing them while pushing the pins? The fit on my upper and lower is real tight to the point I need to break it over my leg sometimes, the pins are real tight on it. May be completely wrong, just a thought
Old 07-06-2011, 1:56 PM
Veteran Member

Send it here, I'll do it and send the pins back to you.
Old 07-06-2011, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANTyRAiD View Post
I suggest getting some aftermarket take down pins. You know, the kind where you can remove them by hand? I have some and it feels good not to have to beat the crap out of her when I need to break her down.
Can you refer me to a website that sells these? I have never seen them before. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2011, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd1584 View Post
put a little lube on them.
that's the first thing I did.
Old 07-06-2011, 4:36 PM
Veteran Member

use your rifle more, it's still in the break in period.
Old 07-06-2011, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro3k2 View Post
use your rifle more, it's still in the break in period.
I have to get the pins back in first to do that.
Old 07-06-2011, 6:16 PM
Veteran Member

Use lube on the pins while they are out! SPS (sticky pin syndrome) prevention.
I have an RFB that had tight take down pins at first.
Lube always helps if she's too tight.
None of my AR rifles/pistols have "SPS" though.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 07-06-2011, 6:27 PM

The takedown pins on the MR556A1 have a detent that pops out to lock them in place. You should have gotten the little red tool kit that comes with the MR556A1, use one of the smaller allen wrenches to depress the spring loaded end of the detent, and your takedown pins will slide in like butter. You should *NOT* have to hammer anything on that gun.

Lemme google this for ya brosef. Taken from this site: http://www.tactical-life.com/online/...och-mr556a1/2/

"Further contributing to the rifle’s accuracy are the uniquely tight tolerances between the upper and lower receiver, which results in absolutely no play or flex between the two parts. This was achieved through a rather ingenious method in which the standard AR front and rear takedown pins each have a spring loaded ball bearing at the front. These ball bearings press against the upper receiver to the point that they cannot be removed to disassemble the rifle without a special tool, which is conveniently stored inside the six-position telescoping stock. The tool is also needed to push the takedown pins back in to reassemble the rifle."

They include instruction manuals for a reason.

Last edited by dirtyJ; 07-06-2011 at 6:31 PM..
Old 07-06-2011, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyJ View Post
The takedown pins on the MR556A1 have a detent that pops out to lock them in place. You should have gotten the little red tool kit that comes with the MR556A1, use one of the smaller allen wrenches to depress the spring loaded end of the detent, and your takedown pins will slide in like butter. You should *NOT* have to hammer anything on that gun.

Lemme google this for ya brosef. Taken from this site: http://www.tactical-life.com/online/...och-mr556a1/2/

"Further contributing to the rifle’s accuracy are the uniquely tight tolerances between the upper and lower receiver, which results in absolutely no play or flex between the two parts. This was achieved through a rather ingenious method in which the standard AR front and rear takedown pins each have a spring loaded ball bearing at the front. These ball bearings press against the upper receiver to the point that they cannot be removed to disassemble the rifle without a special tool, which is conveniently stored inside the six-position telescoping stock. The tool is also needed to push the takedown pins back in to reassemble the rifle."

Ahhhhh!
Old 07-06-2011, 6:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiescanlearn View Post
I have to get the pins back in first to do that.
Your rifle isn't broken in yet, keep moving the pins and the parts will wear in. If you have to do so with a hammer then so be it. After 1k rounds and a normally cleaning routine you should be able to push those pins in with your hands. This is like people buying 2500 dollar 1911 and complaining how it locks up during break in.
Old 07-06-2011, 7:11 PM
Veteran Member

Lighten up, Pyro.

See posts 14&15, he gets it, this isn't a break-in issue.
Old 07-06-2011, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro3k2 View Post
Your rifle isn't broken in yet, keep moving the pins and the parts will wear in. If you have to do so with a hammer then so be it. After 1k rounds and a normally cleaning routine you should be able to push those pins in with your hands. This is like people buying 2500 dollar 1911 and complaining how it locks up during break in.
You should never be able to push those pins in by hand, they're designed to always need a tool.
Old 07-06-2011, 8:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You should never be able to push those pins in by hand, they're designed to always need a tool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killshot44 View Post
Lighten up, Pyro.

See posts 14&15, he gets it, this isn't a break-in issue.
Quote:

It appears through my ignorance and the assumtion that the HK push pins are the same as every other AR that I have made a fool of myself. My apologies to all and everyone who reads this in the future. (this guys an ***)
Old 07-07-2011, 2:54 AM

Quote:
I did use the tool to remove the pins, but I had problems moving them from the beginning. Then when I tried to put them back, I originally did use the tool but the wouldn't budge at all. That's when I pulled out the hammer. Now it's just jammed. So is it bad to fire the rifle with the pins only 3/4 of the way through?
Old 07-07-2011, 10:42 AM

On page 9 of the HK MR556A1 operator's manual states 'Both the pivot pin and the rear takedown pins are special precision "target rifle" pins. For disassembly and reassembly, a center detent in the shaft of the pin must be engaged under pressure and held to move the pins back and forth. DO NOT FORCE THE PINS. Forcing the pins could damage the rifle and such damage is not covered under the HK warranty. Contact HK Customer Service with any questions (TEL: 706-568-1906, EMAIL: cs@heckler-koch-us.com)"

I do not own a HKMR556, but have had one on order since April 2010. For a $3000 rifle, I am disappointed in the takedown pins. First thing, I am going to do is replace them.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." - Quote from Robert E. Howard, Conan in "Tower of the Elephant"

Last edited by BitterOldMan; 07-07-2011 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: Corrected e-mail address for HKcustomer service
Old 07-07-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiescanlearn View Post
Can you refer me to a website that sells these? I have never seen them before. Thanks.

Yankee Hill, these are rock solid. (full set)
http://www.riflegear.com/p-356-yanke...n-pin-set.aspx

Rear extended takedown pin. (few different options)
http://www.riflegear.com/p-739-exten...edown-pin.aspx

Both work great.
Old 07-07-2011, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitterOldMan View Post
On page 9 of the HK MR556A1 operator's manual states 'Both the pivot pin and the rear takedown pins are special precision "target rifle" pins. For disassembly and reassembly, a center detent in the shaft of the pin must be engaged under pressure and held to move the pins back and forth. DO NOT FORCE THE PINS. Forcing the pins could damage the rifle and such damage is not covered under the HK warranty. Contact HK Customer Service with any questions (TEL: 706-568-1906, EMAIL: cs@heckler-koch-us.com)"

I do not own a HKMR556, but have had one on order since April 2010. For a $3000 rifle, I am disappointed in the takedown pins. First thing, I am going to do is replace them.
Problem solved. I took it to an AR friendly gunsmith and had the pins replaced with user friendly ones.

If you want to get you MR556 I can send you a link to a dealer that I bought it from for $2640.