Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:10 AM

Default 870 - Hogue vs. Magpul

I told myself that I wasn't going to tacticool my 870 with Magpul stuff, but after seeing some vids and looking at pics, I decided to pick up the stock & forend to see what the hype was all about. I figured if I didn't like it, I could always sell it pretty easily.

I have the Hogue set, and also a spare 12" LOP stock (which I only used for 20 seconds before realizing it's way too small for me... I'm 6'4"). The Hogue stock felt good, a tad long but still very comfortable. I really like the soft rubber feel of the forend, which makes gripping and holding it feel good. The stock also feels good, and the recoil pad is very soft like a LimbSaver pad. BTW, I noticed the Hogue 12" LOP stock recoil pad feels a little harder than the full size Hogue stock recoil pad.

I like the clean look of the 870 with the Hogue parts, keeping the shotgun simple & classy looking.

Today I received both the Magpul SGA stock and forend, and decided to try them out. First thing I noticed on the stock was that the recoil pad was very soft, just like the Hogue recoil pad and similar to a LimbSaver pad. Feels really good on my shoulder. The next thing I noticed was the grip angle feels more comfortable with the Magpul stock compared to the classic/Hogue stock. What I also noticed and didn't like was the rough plastic texture on the stock. The forend was nice looking, but because of the smooth plastic surface it felt slippery to me, especially compared to the soft rubber Hogue fore end I had gotten used to.

I had some rubber grip tape strips that I was able to cut out for the stock grip and forend. This made a huge difference with how the stock and forend now feels when I grab them. It had a good grip, softer feeling compared to the plastic, but no where near as soft as the Hogue parts. It also didn't feel like the 870 would slip out from my hands, and it kept the 870 slim with the Magpul furniture.

Yes, I know I covered the holes up on the forend, but I was lazy tonight and I'll cut them out later this week.

Overall, I actually now like using the Magpul stock and forend on the 870. Well, I mainly like the stock due to the grip angle, and also the adjustability of the LOP, as I found the perfect length between a full size factory/Hogue stock and the 12" LOP stock. Also, changing out the spacers takes a minute to do and doesn't require removing the stock, so it's fast & easy to do.

I would say, for me, the perfect setup would be to use the Hogue forend and the Magpul SGA stock, but it would look a little weird so I'm fine with using the Magpul forend now after I put the rubber grip tape onto it.

And yes, I do feel tacticool now

Old 02-13-2013, 12:17 AM

Looks good I like the rubber tape idea - so where did you get the tape from ?

FOR SALE ! MAGPUL GRIP - MAGPUL STOCK - MAGPUL RVG : CLICK HERE ! : https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1637308
Old 02-13-2013, 12:30 AM

I was thinking the same thing you mentioned the magpul butt stock and magpul forend would be a nice set up.
Old 02-13-2013, 5:45 AM

I have the magpul stock and hogue forened on both my 870's...I don't think it looks weird at all....After using 870's for the last 27 years this is a great setup....Now if they could only make the stock for my 100 tac4...dreams

Tony P.
Old 02-13-2013, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatersLOVEme : ) View Post
Looks good I like the rubber tape idea - so where did you get the tape from ?
+1

I would like to put some on the forend of my 590.

-Ruskie
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed - where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-Hon. Alex Kozinski (Silvera v Lockyer, 2003)
Old 02-13-2013, 9:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatersLOVEme : )
so where did you get the tape from ?

guntape.com

Found them on Amazon and bought some strips from them. I've since bought some sheets from them for other projects. Shipping was fast and only took a couple of days to receive.

The rubber feels exactly like the texture & softness as Talon grips, which I have on a Glock 19. The adhesive is very strong & sticky but will peel off without any residue from a plastic piece, just like the Talon rubber grips.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

It's all about what the owner feels he likes. What I may like another person might not so grats on getting something you feel comfortable with. I myself have the Hogue forend and an ATI buttstock with pistol grip. I feel very comfortable with it and the Hogue forend allowed me to add the SideSadle. I do like the grip tape idea though. I might just look into that.

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 02-13-2013, 3:45 PM

Very nice!

Here's mine:

Old 02-13-2013, 5:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

the adjustable LOP on the Magpul is a very nice feature for a non-telescopic stock.

thanks for the write-up.
Old 02-13-2013, 5:46 PM

Nice! Got the same setup but also added on the cheek riser. I really like the idea of the gun tape. May have to do that also.
Old 02-13-2013, 6:35 PM
Veteran Member

Nice USM very nice. Did ya have to tap the gun to mount the Picatinny?

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 02-13-2013, 6:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by negolien View Post

+1 to this; very nice USM0083.
Old 02-13-2013, 6:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Does the ammo carrier of the hogue fit the Magpul stock at all?
Old 02-13-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt-45 View Post
Does the ammo carrier of the hogue fit the Magpul stock at all?

The ammo carrier for the stock will fit, but it's stretched out a lot on the Magpul stock and doesn't really look right on there. Plus, the plastic on the stock is smooth so the ammo carrier will slide around on you unless you stretch the end of it over the rubber recoil pad to keep it from sliding on you.
Old 02-14-2013, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by negolien View Post
It's a Mesa Tactical Saddle Rail with the intergrated 6 shell carrier.

With the 3/4" cheek piece my eye is now perfectly aligned to the mini dot.