Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 07-30-2012, 9:25 AM
Banned

Default Can I open carry in my frontyard?

My frontyard faces the street. I live in LA county. Can I carry my loaded gun in a holster in the open on my property?

1hd
Old 07-30-2012, 9:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Yes but expect a visit when the neighbors call the police or sheriff. Expect to see guns drawn, because the call will no doubt go out as a "man with a gun". It is also legal to carry concealed on your property or place of business, so that may be a better way to go. The less attention you draw to yourself the better off you are.
Old 07-30-2012, 9:36 AM

Yes, you will draw a SWAT team in LA county. If your front yard is not fenced, then it's an area where you're in legal limbo as to your property rights -- i.e. People can walk across your front yard. In this unfenced area, if you happen to be in a school zone, you risk prosecution under the GFSZ laws.

Worst case, the police tell you to lie prone, you refuse, and they shoot you 100 times.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt (1759-1806)
Old 07-30-2012, 9:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHotDog View Post
My frontyard faces the street. I live in LA county. Can I carry my loaded gun in a holster in the open on my property?

1hd

Absolutely........there really is no better way to tell all the s&^%heads in your neighborhood that you have guns......The little rascals always have such a hard time deciding what house to burg next…….This is a big help.

Stand by for lots of conflicting info that may or may not get your into trouble.

The real answer is “it depends”…..

It depends on fences, gates, locks, access, and on and on and on…

I think it’s a terrible idea even if you work out all the legal points.
Old 07-30-2012, 9:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejake View Post
Yes, you will draw a SWAT team in LA county. If your front yard is not fenced, then it's an area where you're in legal limbo as to your property rights -- i.e. People can walk across your front yard. In this unfenced area, if you happen to be in a school zone, you risk prosecution under the GFSZ laws.

Worst case, the police tell you to lie prone, you refuse, and they shoot you 100 times.
Just for carrying a gun on my own property? Surely you jest.

And yes my frontyard is not fenced. I am not in a GFSZ.

So I have no gun rights and no property rights. There is no castle doctrine in California that I know of. Sooooo, what rights do I have to protect my family? Do I have I right to jump in front of a bullet intended for my kids? Do I have a right to call the cops before someone touches my kids or wife? Tell me SOMETHING reassuring....

Last edited by OneHotDog; 07-30-2012 at 10:01 AM..
Old 07-30-2012, 10:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

If it is not fenced, it is open to the public, you will be arrested for illegal UOC.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:03 AM

What they could get you for is carrying a loaded firearm in a public place, and yes I realize that your yard is your property. There have been cases of people getting charged while standing in their own driveway with a loaded gun, and in LA you DEFINITELY will if the cops know about it.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:

So I have no gun rights and no property rights. There is no castle doctrine in California that I know of. Sooooo, what rights do I have to protect my family? Do I have I right to jump in front of a bullet intended for my kids? Do I have a right to call the cops before someone touches my kids or wife? Tell me SOMETHING reassuring....

You my friend; have found a home here on Cal Guns "Off Topic"......
Old 07-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
If it is not fenced, it is open to the public, you will be arrested for illegal UOC.
So, open carry on my property is illegal. Nice.

I hate this cesspool called California.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
So, open carry on my property is illegal. Nice.

I hate this cesspool called California.
No, that was the answer to your OP. Things would be different with a fenced property, or inside your home.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:22 AM

you might want to read the wiki article of GFSZ's -- it has nothing to do with school zone signs -- it's 1000 feet. You cannot sling a dead cat in LA County and not hit a GFSZ. And 1000 ft from what -- school perimeter? not defined.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Gun_Free_School_Zones

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt (1759-1806)
Old 07-30-2012, 10:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

It should also be mentioned that you were referring to a handgun being holstered. Open carry of long guns has not been outlawed (yet) and would be legal if you were not in a GFSZ
Old 07-30-2012, 10:28 AM

Back yard is fine as long as it's fenced in and in your house is fine. You could build a fence in the front yard and carry, but that's still iffy IMO.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:47 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

And the long answer to this FAQ is at the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Un...oncealed_Carry

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:49 AM

Last edited by killathrilla; 01-06-2013 at 10:00 AM..
Old 07-30-2012, 10:52 AM
Calguns Addict

I've said it once, and I'll say it again......I don't know, can you ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
watching this state and country operate is like watching a water park burn down. doesn't make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama
Team 6 showed up in choppers, it was so cash. Lit his house with red dots like it had a rash. Navy SEALs dashed inside his house, left their heads spinning...then flew off in the night screaming "Duh, WINNING!"
Old 07-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Walled Gardens folks. Wall up your house and property.. Good way to keep goblins, street types, and salesmen at bay.
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Calguns Addict

25850. (a) A person is guilty of carrying a loaded firearm when the
person carries a loaded firearm on the person or in a vehicle while
in any public place or on any public street in an incorporated city
or in any public place or on any public street in a prohibited area
of unincorporated territory.

Seems pretty simple. I see nothing that says your yard has to have a fence, nor is your front yard a public place. Yes it is open, and people may pass through neighbors may take a short cut across your driveway, but it is not a public place.

Yes California does have a Castle Doctrine law and has had for well over 100 years, read PC section 198.5.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Case law says 'have a fence stay out of jail'.

People v Strider

http://blogs.findlaw.com/california_...o-b204571.html
False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
-- Cesare Beccaria http://www.a-human-right.com/
Old 07-30-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post

Seems pretty simple. I see nothing that says your yard has to have a fence, nor is your front yard a public place. Yes it is open, and people may pass through neighbors may take a short cut across your driveway, but it is not a public place.

Yes California does have a Castle Doctrine law and has had for well over 100 years, read PC section 198.5.
It's been opined, by which authority I can't remember, that it is still considered a "public place" if it is publicly accessible, regardless of property lines. I believe you'll find that information in the FAQ page Librarian posted.

ETA: Liberty1 beat me to the punch.

Last edited by killmime1234; 07-30-2012 at 11:09 AM..
Old 07-30-2012, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:

Sorry, but the calguns wiki link above stands in direct opposition to your statement.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty1 View Post
Case law says 'have a fence stay out of jail'.

People v Strider

http://blogs.findlaw.com/california_...o-b204571.html
Not really applicable to the situation, as the defendant did not own or live at the property, and basically ran from the police, at a known gang house where there had been previous shootings.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Sorry, but the calguns wiki link above stands in direct opposition to your statement.
I'll stick with the quoted law from the penal code, which shows no requirement to have a fence around your property.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Not really applicable to the situation, as the defendant did not own or live at the property, and basically ran from the police, at a known gang house where there had been previous shootings.
Yeah, but the problem is, the cops can't distinguish a property owner from any other random open carry citizen. So they have to assume the OC is illegal. Fence or no fence. I am guessing.

Well, whatever the law says, its so vague, I don't know how anyone can defend their property and family without running afoul of the law. This is just a pathetic situation.

BTW, in case you haven't guessed yet, I am completely new to carrying guns for self-defense. Up to now, I've only done target shooting for pleasure and never actively attempted to protect anything (even myself!).
Old 07-30-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I'll stick with the quoted law from the penal code, which shows no requirement to have a fence around your property.
Have fun in the lockup!
Old 07-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Wow, some of you sure are bursting to expose your ignorance (and I don't mean the OP, although he seemed initially reluctant to believe the advice given "Surely you jest?").

It has been said over and over again that common sense isn't very commmon sense in California and the exemplar of that is that your property can still be public property. At least, that's the way the courts here see it. Doesn't matter if you don't like it, doesn't matter if your dictionary says different, anywhere the public has access, it does not matter who owns it, can be treated as public property. The only way to be safe is behind a locked, or at least lockable, barrier. (fence with lockable gate, your front (or garage) door or where ever else you can ban public acccess).

And p5Ret, try looking up People v. Overturf and the court case a while back involving one of our members, Theseus. Play silly games and ignore case law, win stupid prizes.

All opinions expressed here are my own unless I say otherwise.
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

Last edited by Glock22Fan; 07-30-2012 at 11:37 AM..
Old 07-30-2012, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by OneHotDog

OP, I will not get into the legal debate already discussed here because others are moiré qualified and articulate.

I will say this though. Try not to get sucked into the negative attitude that is too often on display here on Cal Guns.

California is not perfect and there are many laws that should not exist or need changing; but it's not as bad as some will lead you to believe. We have pretty good laws that allow you to protect yourself in your home and there are exceptions that allow you to bring your gun into your yard or even a "true" public space if need be.

If you hear you kids cry for help and some guy is attacking them with a shovel in your yard, blaze away.

If your neighbor is getting beaten to death in the street, you are good to go protecting him / her.

Just because you cannot walk around your front yard with a gun does not mean all is lost.

Don’t get sucked into the negative. It will just blind you to the positive and make you one more angry gun owner.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

"I think"

...deliberately testing your neighbors and the law regarding your 2A rights is a step in the wrong direction. Know your rights and exercise them, but be careful to not impose them onto others who have rights as well.

This kind of "publicity" is very much to blame, when the attention it gains turns into legislation against your (our) rights.

A.W.D.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

You have missed many points in your assumptions. First and foremost UOC of a handgun in this situation is now illegal. (there are many exemptions)

You also need to understand trespass laws. Even in the country, without posting or fencing, a property may be private but the assumption of public access is what the courts would look at. Without signs or fencing the public can assume ones property is accessible until the private property owner orders them to leave. 200 acres of land is no different than a city lot.

CA law will always consider under current law, unposted or un fenced property to be publicly accessible thus, creating your inability to openly carry a handgun in these areas where shooting is prohibited and short of an LTC. Posting and fencing is a game changer. You now have private, inaccessible property.

You MAY still openly carry a long gun, except in a GFSZ
Old 07-30-2012, 1:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejake View Post

I don't know why people insist on combining two seperate and distinct laws.

GFSZ law has nothing to do with the "public area" which is an unfenced front yard.

The "public area" reference has to do with the law against having a loaded firearm in an incorporated city, or in a prohibited area of unincorporated territory.

They do not apply to each other.

I live in unicorporated Kern County. I can legally carry a loaded firearm (openly or concealed) on my own front lawn. It wouldn't matter one bit if I lived right across the street for an elementary school.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 07-30-2012, 1:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
However, on his own property he can carry concealed, he just can't carry loaded.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 07-30-2012, 1:31 PM
Calguns Addict

So if my front yard is a "public place" as some have suggested, and I lived in the city of Palo Alto, it would be a crime for me to smoke in my front yard? they have a no smoking in public place ordinance their definition of a public place seem to be pretty much in line with what all the lawyers here are saying. Pretty interesting good thing I don't smoke or feel the need to draw unwanted attention to myself by carrying a loaded gun in my front yard, not that anyone could see me as my closest neighbor is about 100 yards away.

Easiest way to stay out of trouble, having learned from an older brother who couldn't stay out of trouble is to not draw attention to yourself in the first place. Kind of what I said in the first post I made in this thread.
Old 07-30-2012, 1:45 PM

Quote:

nope, he does not. on the bright side you can have guns inside..... Sucks that we do not have a castle doctrine......
As another member pointed out, you may not want thugs to know that you have guns as this may put targets on your home.
Old 07-30-2012, 1:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
So if my front yard is a "public place" as some have suggested, and I lived in the city of Palo Alto, it would be a crime for me to smoke in my front yard? they have a no smoking in public place ordinance their definition of a public place seem to be pretty much in line with what all the lawyers here are saying. Pretty interesting good thing I don't smoke or feel the need to draw unwanted attention to myself by carrying a loaded gun in my front yard, not that anyone could see me as my closest neighbor is about 100 yards away.

Easiest way to stay out of trouble, having learned from an older brother who couldn't stay out of trouble is to not draw attention to yourself in the first place. Kind of what I said in the first post I made in this thread.
I can't seem them citing fro smoking in your yard(but who knows, this is CA).....now citing/arresting you for public intoxication in your own yard?(happens all the time I'm sure).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
watching this state and country operate is like watching a water park burn down. doesn't make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama
Team 6 showed up in choppers, it was so cash. Lit his house with red dots like it had a rash. Navy SEALs dashed inside his house, left their heads spinning...then flew off in the night screaming "Duh, WINNING!"
Old 07-30-2012, 1:51 PM

Quote:
It seems simple enough. However, case law will further define terms such as "public place" ect. If you want to keep your gun rights, you should take the advice given by Calguns and informed Calgunners like Librarian.

Interpreting the penal code yourself without any case law to support your opinion is a good way to get yourself in trouble. The LEO, DA, and/or judge does not care about your interpretation of the law.
Old 07-30-2012, 1:54 PM

Quote:
I agree. Why push the envelope? Do you NEED to carry a gun in your front yard? Are you there for hours, exposed to drive-by shootings?

Just carry concealed on your property if you honestly want protection. I've done it when I was concerned about retaliation, but no one would have EVER known I had a condition 1 weapon on me.

If you want to draw negative attention and make your neighbors unfriendly and doubt your intentions, go ahead and show off that pistol. Might as well carry a sign on a stick as well, cause I'd take that as a cry for attention if my neighbors did that.
Old 07-30-2012, 2:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

These threads come up all the time. I have to always ask, if you had an attorney, what answer do you think your attorney would recommend you do for your own best interest?

Most probably that while perhaps you might think you are in a position to argue about it in court, your attorney might tell you that it is slippery, you could be arrested anyway and put in jail and have to post bond, you could lose a criminal court case on a myriad of reasons, and it will cost you a lot of money either way even if you won. Is it worth it? Sure we all need test cases, cases that go further to test the law and liberty. Do you want to be and even can you be that person?

...and as mentioned, people concealed carry on their property all the time and no one is the wiser. Quasi public access on private owned property is tricky to carry loaded on and LE in most urban\suburban areas will have an arrest first policy. Open carry in today's society brings in a lot of issues from the unwashed masses. Yes - it shouldn't be this way, but it is the state of things.

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 07-30-2012, 2:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcore View Post
I agree. Why push the envelope? Do you NEED to carry a gun in your front yard? Are you there for hours, exposed to drive-by shootings?

Just carry concealed on your property if you honestly want protection. I've done it when I was concerned about retaliation, but no one would have EVER known I had a condition 1 weapon on me.

If you want to draw negative attention and make your neighbors unfriendly and doubt your intentions, go ahead and show off that pistol. Might as well carry a sign on a stick as well, cause I'd take that as a cry for attention if my neighbors did that.
Yeah, but if my property is considered a public area according to case law, carrying concealed is also not an option. The bottomline is that you cannot be outside in a public area and carry a firearm without a LTC.

This goes back to my question that I posted over at the LTC discussion forum. No permit, no carry, no protection.

Okay, you say "OP, if a bad guy accosts you or your family, just go in the house and get your firearm". Hey, no problem, except my firearms are locked and the ammo is locked and they in two different locations. (I have small curious children that wanna grab and touch everything. So I'm safety conscious, and not just because this cesspool called California requires me to be. I don't want my children hurt.) Meanwhile, the bad guys have already hurt my kids or wife.

I'll risk the unlawful concealed carry on my property if I have to though.
Old 07-30-2012, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but if my property is considered a public area according to case law, carrying concealed is also not an option. The bottomline is that you cannot be outside in a public area and carry a firearm without a LTC.

This goes back to my question that I posted over at the LTC discussion forum. No permit, no carry, no protection.

Okay, you say "OP, if a bad guy accosts you or your family, just go in the house and get your firearm". Hey, no problem, except my firearms are locked and the ammo is locked and they in two different locations. (I have small curious children that wanna grab and touch everything. So I'm safety conscious, and not just because this cesspool called California requires me to be. I don't want my children hurt.) Meanwhile, the bad guys have already hurt my kids or wife.

I'll risk the unlawful concealed carry on my property if I have to though.
OP, you are confusing "public access" and "public property".
Old 07-30-2012, 2:59 PM

First, why would you get arrested for a concealed carry on your own property? Only if you were drawing attention, right? No police officer would make contact with you unprovoked.

If someone confronts you on the lawn and you don't make some effort to retreat before drawing your weapon, it's a sign of aggression. That's how the police and judge will look at it. It doesn't matter AT ALL how you view it. They make the decisions. Don't be the guy that makes law more strict because he wanted to see how far he could push the grey area of the laws.

If you need to be outside and carry a gun while your children play, move to a different area. Saying "it costs a lot to move" isn't valid either, because nothing is worth more than family.