Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALGUNS.NET > Announcements and Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Announcements and Suggestions This is a place for suggestions, news and updates about the site.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:06 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezum View Post
Way, way too many acronyms for this old newbie!
there are too many multi-word terms to spell them out all the time. I am not going to take the time to type Short Barrelled Rifle instead of SBR, Any Other Weapon instead of AOW, etc.

Here is an acronym thread to help get you started, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...hlight=acronym

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 07-17-2012, 3:46 AM
In Memoriam

My suggestions: Splitting the market place into location like the cal-guns in your community section (keep getting sad seeing all the nice guns so far out of reach). Also maybe an 18+ area so we can post some videos or pictures or have discussion that are not family friendly (Not originaly my idea but thought it was a good one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutsniper687 View Post
lol I feel like going out with Jes would result in him in handcuffs, 760 would wind up on top of some chicks car while still in the wheel chair strapped down, and I would be no where to be found wondering the streets like a lost puppy trying to figure out where you guys went until i found a taco shop I called home.

Last edited by spitfirejes; 07-20-2012 at 11:21 PM..
Old 07-24-2012, 3:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Membership Cards for Contributors?

I don't know how possible this would be, but like how AAA has membership discounts with retailers, could there be a way to wheel and deal with firing ranges etc?
Old 07-30-2012, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member

If you guys need someone to bash code, let me know. It's my job
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
So suck it HK, If I wanted an $800 pistol with a crap trigger I would just go buy 2 Glocks.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfirejes View Post
My suggestions: Splitting the market place into location like the cal-guns in your community section (keep getting sad seeing all the nice guns so far out of reach). Also maybe an 18+ area so we can post some videos or pictures or have discussion that are not family friendly (Not originaly my idea but thought it was a good one)
I like this, the market place suggestion.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfirejes View Post
+1 on this idea. There were prior discussions/threads regarding this matter. Please make this happen.
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Glock Gen5 19/17/34 MOS
Old 08-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

Don't want to sound unappreciative - but I wonder if the landing page could be modified so you don't have to scroll or click down to see/access the "Enter the Forums" button.

Maybe delete the big black header text? You've got the CalGuns logo and other welcoming language.

Just an idea...
Old 08-06-2012, 10:12 PM

Honestly I find the search engine for this site very.. well... crappy. when i run searches on titles only it gives me all kinds of results that have nothing to with what I was searching for. Just my two cents, don't want to so sound unappreciative, this place is great, the amount of hours I've spent reading here these past 2 weeks is mind boggling.
Old 08-07-2012, 8:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivedabizness View Post
Don't want to sound unappreciative - but I wonder if the landing page could be modified so you don't have to scroll or click down to see/access the "Enter the Forums" button.

Maybe delete the big black header text? You've got the CalGuns logo and other welcoming language.

Just an idea...
not sure what you are talking about here. I don't need to scroll down to get tothe "enter the forums" link. And the Calguns logo itself is hot so that that you can click on that to enter the forums.

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:29 PM
CGN Contributor

Lightbulb Need for CG self-censorship and vetting process

There is a strong tendency for us law abiding firearm owners to engage in direct and detailed responses to the irrational lies and ridicule published by the progressive-statists regarding our 2nd Amendment rights. I strongly encourage CG Leadership to consider moderating and redacting posts in direct response to our enemies writings and bill texts, and suggest CG Leadership consider a vetting program for CG forum access.

- Never allow the enemy to set the agenda for discussion. It is a trap. The enemy will always create a highly complex logical fallacy equivalent to the statement/question: “Have you stopped beating your wife yet?” If they can get the public discussion to conform to their logical fallacies, they have already won. Do not use the enemy’s definitions, their words, their assumptions of facts, nor directly argue against their outrageous statements, conclusions nor proposed actions. Argue our own well-crafted and vetted positions, utilizing our own words and definitions, and our own verifiable facts. Promote our own conclusions from the facts and put forward our own calls to public and political action which supports our goals.

E.g.: There is only one type of gun: a “modern firearm”. There is only one type of firearm magazine: a “modern capacity magazine”. The second amendment clearing does not exclude modernization of firearm technology. A law should be made at both the state and federal levels that insures politicians are forced to recognize modern firearms and accessories as being protected by the 2nd Amendment. See, not a single response to the enemy’s crazy ideas; just a clear and easy to understand position for the average citizen to consume in a 5 second sound bite.

- Do not provide the enemy with technical or tactical support by getting in the weeds discussing technical details or future work-around in a public forum. The enemy is the social and political equivalent to the Borg of Star Trek. “You will all be assimilated!” All expressed ideas, thoughts and knowledge will be used against us in future battles with the ever-evolving Borg. Do not provide the enemy with the knowledge and skills to evolve their tactics to become a greater threat. Modern internet technologies are a grave threat to tactical political operations. Work to compartmentalize your communications involving potential sources of intelligence to the enemy to insure it only goes to vetted individuals.

- To further the ideas I mention here, I propose that we utilize a vetting process for general access to Calguns (probably refer to them as Membership Requirements). In order to join, or to maintain a membership, individuals must provide a combination of identification and references. NRA ID number, IDPA number, etc., plus at least two detailed references from a current vetted member, a gunshop owner, a range owner, an NRA Instructor/RSO, etc. Once a member, access to more confidential forums should be further vetted by regional CG Coordinators, based upon in-person relationships. Sure, I know this could cut down on both the advertising income and membership numbers, but it would be in the best interest of all gun owners, even the ones who might not want to bother to be vetted to participate in the forum (I couldn’t imagine anyone not willing to go through a fairly simple vetting to get access to the greatest gun owner resource in the World and reduce eavesdropping by the enemy!). A positive benift of this vetting process, especially a secondary vetting process, would be to increase the local participation in CG activities, perhaps even growing into monthly regional meetings. I offer to CG leadership to be the first to go through a vetting process, as well as to participate in a Beta control group in the creation of a good vetting process.
Old 08-13-2012, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalXD View Post
I propose that we utilize a vetting process for general access to Calguns (probably refer to them as Membership Requirements). In order to join, or to maintain a membership, individuals must provide a combination of identification and references. NRA ID number, IDPA number, etc., plus at least two detailed references from a current vetted member, a gunshop owner, a range owner, an NRA Instructor/RSO, etc.
What a terrible idea. The "vetting process" is fine as is... this is a site for Californians with general interest in firearms, which is sufficient. I own several guns, of different types, but do not belong to any national dues-paying organization. Donations to the extremely-effective CGF are what I do, but there should not be any such requirement for membership on this board. Neither firearms ownership, nor organization membership.
Old 08-21-2012, 4:28 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

In reverse order of importance.

New forum section: Home improvement, mechanical etc. Basically useful skilled non gun info.

Ability to ignore certain forum sections, specifically OFF TOPIC!

Old 08-22-2012, 7:57 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

1) As others have said: "Mark forums as read." I can do this for each individual forum, I want to do to do it for the whole set of forums with one click.

2) Custom "new posts" search that excludes certain forums.
Old 08-22-2012, 9:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krby View Post
1) As others have said: "Mark forums as read." I can do this for each individual forum, I want to do to do it for the whole set of forums with one click.
you can,

this one's a little harder.
Quote:
2) Custom "new posts" search that excludes certain forums.
it isn't in the forum software, but you can URL hack it yourself.

here is the URL for the new post search, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ew&exclude=159

if you wanted to exclude the "off-topic" section, which has the URL, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...splay.php?f=73, you can see that 73 is the forum ID and that you would add that number to the exclusion section so it would look like

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...exclude=159,73

now, save that as a bookmark and your new post search won't show you any OT posts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mark forums read.jpg (41.6 KB, 350 views)

Old 08-22-2012, 11:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
you can,

Thanks! I'm stupid. I knew that a couple of years ago when I was more active on these forums, I forgot now that I have returned.

Quote:
it isn't in the forum software, but you can URL hack it yourself.

here is the URL for the new post search, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ew&exclude=159

if you wanted to exclude the "off-topic" section, which has the URL, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...splay.php?f=73, you can see that 73 is the forum ID and that you would add that number to the exclusion section so it would look like

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...exclude=159,73

now, save that as a bookmark and your new post search won't show you any OT posts.
Awesome! I'm comfortable doing this. You rock!

I just tried this, hoping to use '91' to exclude all the marketplace forums, but that doesn't appear to work. I bet I need to include each marketplace subforum. There an "include" keyword I can use, but I think I've got about as many I want to exclude as include so I'm not sure that's net win. Off to go create the long list of excludes....

Last edited by krby; 08-22-2012 at 11:23 AM..
Old 10-08-2012, 10:12 PM

There should be different forums for different areas (counties) for Private party sales. The private party market place is too cluttered too often we see items we want but too far away. There should be a forum for guns and items sold from san Diego, Orange county, la, Sbay area and etc
Old 10-14-2012, 12:41 PM

Forgive me if people have asked for these things a hundred times:

1. In Member Services / Membership List, add a way to search for member names by typing the first few letters of a member's name, in a addition to the alphabetic listing there is now.

2. Add a way for C3's to strip out names from the local or state Roll Call threads, for a local PM list. Add a feature that will only return the names of people who have signed in, in the last 12 mo.

3. Add a way for C3's in a general area (Sacramento, Stockton, Fairfield for instance) to share membership lists for announcements.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 10-14-2012, 3:16 PM

BonnieB -
#1 - If you click on the "Members List" in the header at the top of this page, on the next page, in the header of "Calguns.net: Members List" - far right - there is a "Search Members" drop-down box (under the page number listing) where you can enter one-two-three-etc. characters of a member's name. The search will give you all names with that combination, not neccessarily the first letters only.

I can't answer your other questions, sorry.

Last edited by Pinto; 10-14-2012 at 3:19 PM..
Old 10-14-2012, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplinker View Post
I've often thought a programmed set of questions to post in the firearms section would be helpful. An automated box of required questions (rifle or pistol, location of seller, willing to ship, price or trade only, C&R eligible (y/n/uncertain)). It would probably require each firearm to be in its own post within the thread.

Then, once these are answered, every new posting has a box that lists these. It would eliminate rule breaking and make it much easier for people to size up the situation.
This is genius! The location posted in the broken down with the selection of norcal and socal and then sub divided by counties. Such as first having to pick Socal then you would pick between counties such as LA County or San Bernardino. This would just allow it to be more specific

And like others have said already, dividing the firearm sales into sub threads by would be nice just for organization, although it kind of repeats what I said above.

Last edited by ixta70; 10-14-2012 at 8:44 PM..
Old 10-14-2012, 9:54 PM

I would like to see a separate forum for AR15s. By the looks of the Centerfire Rifles forum, you would think that AR15s are the only centerfire rifle in existence.
Old 10-19-2012, 7:27 PM

Hello, I usually browse the market place. I was thinking it might be easier if the Private Firearm forum could be separated into sub-forums, such as handguns, shotguns and rifles/assault rifles.

It's somewhat difficult to browse for what you want when there are so many people selling many different items.

=).
Old 10-26-2012, 2:53 PM

I think we need to make the Private Firearm Forum into three different regions of sort as no one is postin where they are in the title .. (North, central, and south) and .. Just like Craigslist I guess and

I agree with Ringer about the sub forums as well.

“Old breed? New breed? There's not a damn bit of difference so long as it's the Marine breed.” — Lt. Gen. “Chesty” Puller

“A ship without Marines is no ship of war at all.” — Adm.David Dixon Porter, U.S. Navy, 1864
Old 10-26-2012, 5:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringer View Post
Hello, I usually browse the market place. I was thinking it might be easier if the Private Firearm forum could be separated into sub-forums, such as handguns, shotguns and rifles/assault rifles.

It's somewhat difficult to browse for what you want when there are so many people selling many different items.

=).
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHLiu11 View Post
I think we need to make the Private Firearm Forum into three different regions of sort as no one is postin where they are in the title .. (North, central, and south) and .. Just like Craigslist I guess and

I agree with Ringer about the sub forums as well.
So, you want NINE new forums:

North (handguns, shotguns and rifles)
Mid-state (handguns, shotguns and rifles)
South (handguns, shotguns and rifles)

(Or, the symmetrical Handguns (North, Mid-state, South) etc.)

I agree from the searcher's point of view, that would be nice.

Who enforces that they get used appropriately?

From an admin view, that's a nightmare.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 10-26-2012, 5:37 PM
CGN Contributor

There are quite a few veteran posters who offer really good, seasoned advise about shooting, firearm configs, optics, reloading, etc. Sage advise saves people lots of money and hassle, and I think the "Sages of Calguns" should be identified and recognized. I think it would good for both the new users and longer term calgunners if the there was a recognition badge or ranking system for users, based upon ranking of their posts. E.g.: FMJBT posts an analysis on 178 bullet loadings in the reloading forum - 90 readers of that post click on a thumbs up icon on the post, which go toward ranking FMJBT high up as a valued poster in the Reloading Forum; perhaps resulting at some time down the road in some sort of badge by his name as an "expert adviser" or "guru" in that forum/subject.

This would allow readers to "cut the wheat from the chaff" pretty quickly on a thread.
Old 10-26-2012, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
So, you want NINE new forums:

North (handguns, shotguns and rifles)
Mid-state (handguns, shotguns and rifles)
South (handguns, shotguns and rifles)

(Or, the symmetrical Handguns (North, Mid-state, South) etc.)

I agree from the searcher's point of view, that would be nice.

Who enforces that they get used appropriately?

From an admin view, that's a nightmare.

I agree and totallu understand.

I would settle for three different regions (North, Central, South) for the Private Firearm Forum

“Old breed? New breed? There's not a damn bit of difference so long as it's the Marine breed.” — Lt. Gen. “Chesty” Puller

“A ship without Marines is no ship of war at all.” — Adm.David Dixon Porter, U.S. Navy, 1864
Old 10-28-2012, 2:27 PM

Default how about semi-forced catagories in for sale forum.

lots of diff ways to list a gun or item and computers can only search text.

Have sellers at least have the option of checking maker, caliber, type of gun, etc when they list, and have buyers be able to just look in that narrow category or set alerts, etc. Also have admin have ability to classify ads.
Old 11-03-2012, 7:54 PM

A Calguns iPhone app would be great!
Old 11-23-2012, 7:22 AM
Veteran Member

Default 2 Suggestions

1) Have a "private Page" open to members only (maybe those who qualify with a certain number of posts), and not accessible to visitors, for those who love to argue about contentious/controversial subjects. It could be called Whine Country. Might keep things more civil for the majority and shine a better light...

2) How about a system whereby we can voice approval, or appreciation, of a particular post by registering (attaching) a thumbs-up or some other symbol to a member's post. Similar to the way they do it at - http://m14forum.com/forums.php It might eliminate a lot of clutter from unnecessary comments.

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."

"Is that a desert country?" "No; a fat country; fat people." "You are not fat?" "No. I'm different..."

Last edited by Gem1950; 12-01-2012 at 9:10 AM..
Old 11-23-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankensteve View Post
A Calguns iPhone app would be great!
You mean like Tapatalk?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:11 AM

Our threads get cluttered up with obsolete stuff like things for sale that have been sold.

Is it possible to let the thread originator have the power to delete threads when they are done with them?

Now, I just ask the moderators to take them down for me, but wouldn't it be less work if people could do it themselves.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 11-26-2012, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Our threads get cluttered up with obsolete stuff like things for sale that have been sold.

Is it possible to let the thread originator have the power to delete threads when they are done with them?

Now, I just ask the moderators to take them down for me, but wouldn't it be less work if people could do it themselves.
not sure why you think the forum gets cluttered with sold items. If the OP would just update the title to say SOLD and not bump it to say SOLD, the old threads would fall the bottom .

Plus, many of us prefer to be able to look at old threads to see what certain firearms were listed for. It can be used as a research tool.

Old 12-02-2012, 6:30 PM

Would it be possible to put the buying and selling into a template format? As it is now, it is very time consuming to go thru each thread. Many folks do not list where they are located in the subject title. It would be most helpful to have sales displayed in a template type format (spreadsheet) type if it is possible in VB. Imagine being able to sort the spreadsheet for type of gun and location!

I believe this would be a positive most ways around as it gets higher throughput, and more people get to find what they want faster without all of the BS...you could even clean house easier with stuff auto deleting after 60 (or whatever is decided) days.

It also seems there are too many subforums...some of which are not used much, if at all.

Last edited by scrubb; 12-02-2012 at 6:32 PM..
Old 12-06-2012, 6:34 PM

I agree with Scrubb-great suggestions.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Is there a way that we could subscribe to a user when he/she posts? I.e. DenverDuck is a mass seller, and sells alot of great items at great prices. I would like the opportunity to follow or be notified of his posts and see if I am interested in his items? That would be extremely useful for both parties.
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I love you! (some Homo)
Quote:
I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
OP you are an uninformed tool.
Go Broncos!
Go Kings Go!
Old 01-02-2013, 11:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Also, can we make an 'IBFP' Smile?
I love you! (some Homo)
Quote:
I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
OP you are an uninformed tool.
Go Broncos!
Go Kings Go!
Old 01-05-2013, 1:28 AM

Soo.. If i "hover" over a post/thread, it might show a city or location.. But doing a search of that "city or location" wont necessarily result in or display this or similar posts..

The marketplace is great.. it would be so much easier and efficient (for me at-least) if there was a "location/area" specific search or these two aspects of posting were consistent with "search results"..

I hope that makes sense.. The other forums are one thing.. but searching the Marketplace can be so tedious.. Especially since (for obvious reasons) no one really wants to ship stuff..

my 2 cents..

But thanks for all you do CG!
Old 01-05-2013, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
not sure why you think the forum gets cluttered with sold items. If the OP would just update the title to say SOLD and not bump it to say SOLD, the old threads would fall the bottom .

Plus, many of us prefer to be able to look at old threads to see what certain firearms were listed for. It can be used as a research tool.

I agree with your premiss all day.. But the Marketplace gets totally cluttered (especially doing a search) because OP's dont close, or mark as sold.. Then someone bumps a thread thats been dead for weeks or months..

It annoys the cr@p out of me on a consistent basis.. People sell their stuff and just leave the posts up..

I agree having the posts avalible is a good thing for "market value" but after a certain time im thinking market posts could be locked at least.. to prevent bumping stuff that's long gone.

Last edited by shooter5; 01-05-2013 at 1:46 AM..
Old 01-05-2013, 7:09 AM

How are we going to stay in communication with each other if the Government shuts off this website? Perhaps we need an emergency list of contacts for such happenings. Unlikely to happen, but even the best laid plans burn to the ground. Think of it as insurance.
Old 01-10-2013, 5:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Can we please have vBulletin updated to prevent an exact duplicate post written by the same person?

I was reading through a thread and found three people who each posted twice... in a row. I've given up reading some threads because of so many duplicate posts.

This free plugin for vBulletin should do the trick: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=218775

I checked and it IS compatible with calguns.net's vBulletin 3.8.7
Old 01-18-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter5 View Post
Soo.. If i "hover" over a post/thread, it might show a city or location.. But doing a search of that "city or location" wont necessarily result in or display this or similar posts..

The marketplace is great.. it would be so much easier and efficient (for me at-least) if there was a "location/area" specific search or these two aspects of posting were consistent with "search results"..

I hope that makes sense.. The other forums are one thing.. but searching the Marketplace can be so tedious.. Especially since (for obvious reasons) no one really wants to ship stuff..

my 2 cents..

But thanks for all you do CG!
Please. Marketplace is terribly inefficient and a waste of time the way it is currently set up. Finding something in norcal is like finding a lost ring in the sand.