Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-08-2012, 7:32 PM

Default Another evil black rifle is born

Yup, I can now say I'm on the centerfire rifle bandwagon. Picked up a S&W M&P 15 stripped lower from Turner's on 11/30; ordered up and installed a CMMG LPK, a FAB AG-43 pistol grip, and a generic 6 position stock for now. (will likely upgrade the stock at a later date) Today I drove down to San Diego and picked up a S&W M&P Sport 16" upper from calgunner Franksclerk; got a sweet deal on the upper with a Magpul MBUS rear sight. Without further adieu, gratuitous gun pron:

For clarification sake, yes, there is an installed magazine lock on this rifle, (specifically, a Bullet Button) and the magazine is a factory-blocked 10/20 mag. (made by ASC - boy I hope these things aren't crap, but given that they were cheap and at Turner's, they probably are)

I'll post some decent photos once I stop being lazy and get out the camera; for now, cell phone pictures will have to do.

Question to add: what do you all think about the Magpul MOE handguard? For $30, it seems like a functional and comfortable upgrade.

Last edited by Gatotsu77; 12-09-2012 at 12:29 PM..
Old 12-08-2012, 7:39 PM
Calguns Addict

I have a 10-round ASC magazine and it runs well.

The best part of the M&P15 Sport is the barrel
Old 12-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Man View Post
I have a 10-round ASC magazine and it runs well.

The best part of the M&P15 Sport is the barrel
I just bought a 10 pack of ASC rebuilds from Cope's to make into 10/30's... 69.99 with free shipping (79.99 total due to "rebuild" fee"). Even with the dollar per mag fee for rebuilds I am ten bucks cheaper than PSA. I hope they run well.
Old 12-08-2012, 8:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

doubletap

Last edited by BigfootHunter; 12-08-2012 at 8:42 PM..
Old 12-08-2012, 8:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Nice job, I am a big fan of the MOE, i like the shape much better than the stock round/ovate hand guards.

Also, if I was looking to set up a new rifle (not that you need to change all of this right away and if that's a commercial spec stock it won't work) Botach has a smoking deal on their fleabay store right now for a foliage green Tango Down BG16 Pistol Grip, Vltor Mil Spec IMod Modstock and a MK46 Battlegrip Foregrip all for $69 HERE

Not sure if you know anything about BOTACH, but some folks have had issues with backorders in the past (I haven't the few times I've ordered), but the page says there are more than 10 in stock there. YMMV.

Last edited by BigfootHunter; 12-08-2012 at 8:41 PM..
Old 12-08-2012, 8:40 PM
Veteran Member

Congrats on your new rifle. I'm not a magpul guy, but if you like it go for it.
Old 12-08-2012, 8:47 PM
Veteran Member

I like the Magpul mid-length handguard better than the Omega X rail I have.
Old 12-08-2012, 8:50 PM
Calguns Addict

You forgot "evil" in your description, but nice gun anyway!

I don't always save the world, but when I do, it's in 24 hours or less...
Old 12-08-2012, 9:30 PM

Looks pretty hot.
Old 12-08-2012, 9:55 PM
Veteran Member

Congrats...

I like the Magpul hg, it will be on my next AR.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:15 PM

Damn... you seem to be right BigfootHunter. The Amazon page I picked up the stock/buffer tube/buffer from stated that it was mil-spec; the website gm-gear.com says it is a commercial-spec tube/stock. Serves me right for not doing my homework before spending money. Oh well, it'll work for now. (I actually wanted an A2 stock honestly, but didn't find one I was willing to spend money on)

The MOE handguard looks aesthetically pleasing, but I have yet to actually hold a weapon equipped with one. I'll have to drop by Turner's and fondle a couple rifles to see what's up. I will say, I'm very satisfied with the pistol grip I selected; very comfortable, just about a perfect fit for my hand. (my hands aren't HUGE, but I do have long fingers)
Old 12-09-2012, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatotsu77 View Post
Damn... you seem to be right BigfootHunter. The Amazon page I picked up the stock/buffer tube/buffer from stated that it was mil-spec; the website gm-gear.com says it is a commercial-spec tube/stock. Serves me right for not doing my homework before spending money. Oh well, it'll work for now. (I actually wanted an A2 stock honestly, but didn't find one I was willing to spend money on)

The MOE handguard looks aesthetically pleasing, but I have yet to actually hold a weapon equipped with one. I'll have to drop by Turner's and fondle a couple rifles to see what's up. I will say, I'm very satisfied with the pistol grip I selected; very comfortable, just about a perfect fit for my hand. (my hands aren't HUGE, but I do have long fingers)
If you are not going rail or tube, the Magpul HG is a nice option. Looks and feels way better IMO and they are priced well.

Robert
Old 12-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Congrats
Old 12-08-2012, 11:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I wasn't saying whether or not your buffer tube was commercial or milspec, i was just saying that stock I linked was milspec only. The main difference between commercial/milspec is the threads on the tube, if they're proud of the tube (thicker than the tube) most likely mil spec, if they're cut INTO the tube (same diameter as the tube) then it's probably commercial.

I may have an extra Stag A2 stock and spacer around here somewhere (no tube, spring or buffer though), pm me if you're interested. I ended up going with an A1 size Cavalry Arms C1 buttstock on a lightweight build with the MOE hand guard.

Here's the rifle:

(Before people go of their rocker, yes it's a 10/30 Pmag)
Old 12-09-2012, 1:57 AM

Big congrats! I have a M&P 15 sport as well... I love Magpul... Can't go wrong with it.. Heres my rifle with Magpul doo-dads

Old 12-09-2012, 8:33 AM

Actual, the threads are exactly the same dia and pitch. Commercial is a larger tube and has the slanted rear - commercial stock will go over a mil spec tube way to loose, but a mil stock will not side on a commercial tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfootHunter View Post
The main difference between commercial/milspec is the threads on the tube, if they're proud of the tube (thicker than the tube) most likely mil spec, if they're cut INTO the tube (same diameter as the tube) then it's probably commercial.
)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

D.I.Y. Barricade simulator using RRS tripod.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:28 PM

It looks like I may make it to the range this evening to test out the rifle; I'll definitely update with a range report.

Also, fixed the title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firerescuebatt07 View Post
Big congrats! I have a M&P 15 sport as well... I love Magpul... Can't go wrong with it.. Heres my rifle with Magpul doo-dads
That looks pretty slick! How firmly does that MVG lock into the handguard? Any wobble detectable while shooting?

Last edited by Gatotsu77; 12-09-2012 at 12:30 PM..
Old 12-09-2012, 3:14 PM

Quote:
It looks like I may make it to the range this evening to test out the rifle; I'll definitely update with a range report.

Also, fixed the title.

That looks pretty slick! How firmly does that MVG lock into the handguard? Any wobble detectable while shooting?
it does not move at all... very stable and strong... I have zero issues with any of my magpul furniture. I let my brother in law hold it and he fell in love with the mvg... he has the traditional thin long fore grip and was shocked at how comfy the stubby mvg was...
Old 12-09-2012, 1:20 PM

Hey Bigfoot you ever run that rifle gripless? With the A2 Stock and Brake looks like all it needs is the removal of the front grip and slipping on the grip wrap... Looks like a nice rifle that will work great both as a bullet button AND a featureless!
Old 12-09-2012, 1:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yeah, incidentally since the picture was taken (about a year ago), I removed the grip and added a wrap, so I do run featureless now. I do like it better, even without the wrap, without the forward grip. Just seemed unecessary IMHO.

To address the earlier question on the MOE Forward Grip and how solid it is, once you tighten the screw down, it's rock solid on the handguard.
Old 12-09-2012, 1:34 PM

nice, keeping it light, that's my own personal preference. I'm also in the market to get a backup AR with the A4 sight. The only thing on you rifle that I'm not a big fan of is the MAGPUL plastic BUIS, otherwise, nice rifle. Have fun with it.

Last edited by TreeHugger; 12-09-2012 at 1:39 PM..
Old 12-09-2012, 2:03 PM

I have a magpul MOE on my bullet button build and it's rock solid. I run my AK featureless with grip wrap, I think AKs are better suited to featureless builds.
Old 12-09-2012, 3:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Another good thing about the MVG is that it can be cut down even stubbier if you want or an angle if you want a hand stop of sorts.
Old 12-09-2012, 3:32 PM
Veteran Member

Looks like a pretty sweet build!
I cant wait to get my second build under way. Slowly getting parts for it.

"Between your faith and my Glock 9mm I'll take the Glock."
- Arnold Schawarzenegger (End of Days)
Old 12-09-2012, 8:23 PM

I decided to attach my Vortex Sparc this afternoon after prepping the rifle for the range; took it down to Field Time Target & Training in Stanton. I've gotta say, I love this rifle. Ran flawlessly with the range reloads, Federal XM193, and PMC .223 - only put 65 rounds down range this evening, but I'm thinking I may go back tomorrow and spend more quality time getting to know my rifle.

Thank you for the opinions on the MOE handguard and MVG; I think I'll be asking for those for Christmas. Now to find myself a nice affordable source of ammo... (outside of reloading, for the time being anyway)
Old 12-10-2012, 1:14 AM

I do have a bit of an odd question for you all, and I don't want the responses to turn into a pissing contest. I have been using CorrosionX as my firearm lubricant for a few years, and have had no problems with it until now; as the bolt in my AR started to warm up, this stuff really started to stink. (burned the nostrils) What lubricant do you use on your AR15 and what do you like/dislike most about it? I remember having read good things about Slip2000 some while back, but I'm interested in other opinions as well.
Old 12-10-2012, 1:59 AM

Quote:
I do have a bit of an odd question for you all, and I don't want the responses to turn into a pissing contest. I have been using CorrosionX as my firearm lubricant for a few years, and have had no problems with it until now; as the bolt in my AR started to warm up, this stuff really started to stink. (burned the nostrils) What lubricant do you use on your AR15 and what do you like/dislike most about it? I remember having read good things about Slip2000 some while back, but I'm interested in other opinions as well.
I use clp... most guys will say clp or frog lube