Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 02-10-2012, 7:00 PM

Default need help with a A2 front sight

hello everybody , i have a CMMG AR-15 .22LR M4 Upper Assembly with Front Sight Post, i want to take the front sight post to install a longer hand guard my problem is that i think the front sight post pins are fake or welded because they wont come out, and i just want the front sight out, any help would be very appreciated
Old 02-10-2012, 7:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you can't get it off with a punch and a hammer and you do t plan on reusing it try cutting it off with a die grinder or dremel.
Old 02-10-2012, 7:30 PM

AR front sights have tapered pins. They will only come out one way. I'm not sure which side. You might search ARF.com for tips.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

They go in right to left ("right" and "left" are with respect to a gun aiming away from you). To get them out, you need to tap from the left.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:39 AM

I don't know about the .22 lr uppers, but on the 5.56 upper I had those pins were set with a press at the manufacturer. Lay a piece of leather or a thick blanket on some concrete to protect the finish, place the upper on the concrete for a rigid foundation and use a punch and hammer to bang those suckers out. When I called BCM they told me to use a mallet, if that did not work they offered to remove them for free. Try your manufacturer and see what they recommend.