Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:16 AM

Also, I had trouble with the 300 JHP feeding in my rifle...
Anyone else have this problem? I think I need to modify my mags a bit or something as when I had a ftf to round would be jammed against the top of the mag well/bottom of the feed ramp, still perfectly horizontal. I am not sure how, but it seems the rounds needs to tip up more somehow on its own before the bolt starts pushing it forward. The other two bullets(both ballistic tips) I tested fed perfect every time.

For 15 things YOU CAN DO to improve our 2nd A RKBA so we can: pass "Shall Issue" Right-to-Carry; repeal the CA AWB; and pass a CA con. RKBA amendment, go to: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...416#post842416

CA-NRA: http://www.calnra.com/
Old 02-20-2013, 9:28 PM

I have the exact same problem when I try to run the 300 Rem JHP through my SOCOM. I get the first round jammed against the front lip of the magazine.

If I fumble with it, I can get it to load and the rest of the mag cycles without an issue. But, that first round almost always jams.
Old 02-23-2013, 9:07 AM

after fiddling with my mags a bit it seems that the problems is with the follower leaning forward when the bolt pushes on the rim of that first round.
I don't know if it is going to be an acceptable solution but I removed the spring and bent it at each level so that the spring is curved twords the rear of the mag. After reassembling the mag the front end of the follower is more resistant to tipping downward. I haven't tested the mag out yet but I will post an update as soon as I do. I also don't know if this will have any ill effects on the life or function of the spring but it seemed to be simple fix to me at the time.... we will see.

edit: I only bent about a half dozen or so loops of the spring at the top end until the spring approched a 90deg curve at the top end, I just wanted to add as much pressure to the front end of the follower as possible without ruining the overall function of the mag.

For 15 things YOU CAN DO to improve our 2nd A RKBA so we can: pass "Shall Issue" Right-to-Carry; repeal the CA AWB; and pass a CA con. RKBA amendment, go to: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...416#post842416

CA-NRA: http://www.calnra.com/

Last edited by Noah; 02-23-2013 at 9:11 AM..
Old 08-05-2013, 7:44 PM

Has anyone tried loading up, Hornady MonoFlex Bullets 250 Grain Flex Tip Expanding Boat Tail Lead-Free Box of 50 in the 458?? Alot cheaper than, Barnes Tipped Triple-Shock X Bullets. I was thinking about ordering up some for the awesome lead-free condor hunting zones N o hunting condors with lead ammo. But if someone has tired them what is a good starting point for load data. Thanks
Old 08-09-2013, 8:35 AM

In reply to question on mag & feeding difficulties with the 458 Socom:

Lancer magazines work better than 100% polymer mags like PMAGs- PMAGs tend to bulge in center of mag, especially if even a little warm (~75degrees). Won't fit into mag well.

Feeding issues: had trouble, rounds were hitting on front inner edge of the mag. Slowed down the forward motion & would short-stroke the feed.

Solved by filling down the front lip of the mag's. Opened it up a bit - no more feed issues.
Old 12-08-2014, 6:52 PM
Calguns Addict

ammo at http://www.northgeorgiareloading.com/

radical firearms is making 458 soccom uppers,/rifles at $300 less than RRA
http://www.radicalfirearms.com/aboutus.asp

got an upper on order, (have wanted one for 4 years now), getting my other ducks in a row, to start loading my own, (starline brass is backordered til the 19th), looking for bullets now

Spyder

"You guys need to take more drugs. Then you can TASTE the sound, and HEAR the light!"
Old 12-09-2014, 5:15 AM
CGN Contributor

I am about to test some missouri bullets. Very reasonable price with the hi tek coating on them. Just got done with some lil gun and H4198 testing with the berrys bullets which are the cheapest plated/jacketed out there right now. Will post the results as soon as I get a free moment.
Also check out http://458socomforums.com/
Lots of good people who will help you get stuff sorted out.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:57 AM

be careful on the radical firearms, PTG reamers are reverse engineered and are not to the actual cartridge specs. It makes reloading a bit tougher.

If you want a complete upper in a few days, check out tromix, if im not mistaken, he is the one who worked with marty and helped design the round.

For reloading, get the RCBS diues over the hornady, also the LEE 458 socom FCD is awesome.

What bullets are you looking to shoot?
http://www.outlawstatebullets.com/4.html has some

I tested the hornady FTX and my rifle didnt like it too much at 100 so i changed to the 405 remy and im doing 1 inch at 100. starline brass and h110 powder.
Old 11-05-2015, 6:32 AM

Since this is an old thread and there still is not much data that I can find, are there any updates on pet loads? I almost ordered a 458 yesterday for hog hunting but the lack of info on the reloading data has stopped me for now. Bullets and powder seem more available now but this is uncharted waters for me, and I have to reload. You can shoot a 50 BMG a lot cheaper than a 458 Socom. It may change but was thinking of starting with the 325 gr FTX bullets first because we had shot them in a 45-70 and they were awesome.
Old 11-05-2015, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1105 View Post
Since this is an old thread and there still is not much data that I can find, are there any updates on pet loads? I almost ordered a 458 yesterday for hog hunting but the lack of info on the reloading data has stopped me for now. Bullets and powder seem more available now but this is uncharted waters for me, and I have to reload. You can shoot a 50 BMG a lot cheaper than a 458 Socom. It may change but was thinking of starting with the 325 gr FTX bullets first because we had shot them in a 45-70 and they were awesome.
And just wanted to add that of all the threads I could find this was the best one, it was just old.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:22 AM

Default 458 newbie

So maybe I've gone about this the wrong way, but I chose the gun first and am now looking at reloading (yes, ammo cost was a consideration before purchasing, but I want to reload for more than just $ reasons). I bought the Wilson Combat kit and finished my build this summer; have only used a few boxes of SBR ammo so far. I have a military & law enforcement background so, although I'm not a complete "gun nut," I am familiar with various guns and shooting applications. I've never invested in reloading before since bulk ammo (for plinking/volume training) is pretty cheap for my other guns and I can save the more expensive "good stuff" for real-world use. Now that I have the SOCOM I want the freedom to make my own loads, differentiate loads between hunting and tactical application and hopefully pay less than $3 per round. I saw an old forum post from 2008 that recommended the following set-up, I'm wondering if this is still a good start or would you recommend any changes?

- single stage press (I want to control each step)
- Hornady 458 SOCOM dies
- starline brass
- Remington 300 gr HP bullets (maybe for short/medium range tactical, thinking TTSX for hunting that needs longer range accuracy)
- Imperial case sizing wax
- CCI 350 primers
- H110 powder (what load? I've heard 35 gr is a good start, also heard 35 gr is max)
- Teppo Jutsu 458 SOCOM case gauge (necessary, or just nice to have?)
- Lyman reloader's manual (does latest edition have 458 SOCOM info?)

Christmas is almost here, so I'm hoping to start my trek into the reloading world soon. I would appreciate any feedback!
Old 12-17-2015, 11:38 AM

Start with a reloading book. That will answer 50% of the questions u asked and the other 50% are personal preference.

Once you finished reading the entire reloading book, read the sticky's on this forum, "realoding 101" would be good start.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=108907

Then and only then can you become a Padowan.

But seriously, read a reloading book end to end. Then maybe a attend a reloading clinic near your home (there are many), and then read the stickys if ur still not sure of the basics. Its not hard to reload good ammo, the problem is that its easy to blow urself up in the process.
Old 12-17-2015, 6:46 PM

I would use a Tromix case gauge., I have both, with this cartridge it is must in my opinion.

I prefer the Redding sizing die better than the Hornady, I have Hornady, Lee and Redding.

If you are in the bay area I can show you the ropes.

Do you have a mid length or carbine length upper?

Would suggest Lil'Gun over H110, which I find picker especially with mid length.

Speer or Hornady 300 HPs also are good bullet choices including hunting. TTSX is a great bullet for hunting but a costy for shooting paper.

Good luck
Ruggy

Last edited by ruggyh; 12-17-2015 at 6:54 PM..
Old 12-26-2015, 4:03 AM

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm a bit of a researcher at heart, so I will take the advice above, buy a Reloader manual and read it through before starting (I saw that Lyman has a dedicated AR reloading manual that has specific info for 458 SOCOM, so I may get/read that one too).
Old 12-26-2015, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggyh View Post
I would use a Tromix case gauge., I have both, with this cartridge it is must in my opinion.

I prefer the Redding sizing die better than the Hornady, I have Hornady, Lee and Redding.

If you are in the bay area I can show you the ropes.

Do you have a mid length or carbine length upper?

Would suggest Lil'Gun over H110, which I find picker especially with mid length.

Speer or Hornady 300 HPs also are good bullet choices including hunting. TTSX is a great bullet for hunting but a costy for shooting paper.

Good luck
Ruggy
OP,

I'm using SBR case gauges, Redding Dies, and 458SOCOM forum for additional information. I'm using bullet manufacturer's load data. If you can't find the data you need, contact the powder or bullet maker. They may have tested it, but never got around to publishing it on paper.

The bullets I use can interchange with my 45-70 Government. I plan to shoot some cast lead I bought, just to try it out. I'm keeping the Velocity down to reduce excessive leading in the bore.
Old 12-27-2015, 3:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have the SBR and Tromix but only use the Tromix. That cut away Tromix is the bomb.
Old 03-11-2016, 3:40 PM

My 458 will be arriving next week (carbine gas system), just put in an order to add this cartridge to my reload list.
Redding dies + Lee FCD
Satern 458 Funnel
Barns 300gn TTSX
Starline Brass

Will be using a Redding T7 press. Already have a bunch of H110 as I use it for 44mag and 475 Linebaugh. Found CCI350's in stock at a local hardware store of all places, picked up 3k. Interestingly, they also stock SBR 458 ammo! Already have the Tromix gauge. I also load for 45-70 and have plenty of 325gn FTX laying around, but I want to play with the 300gn TTSX. Glad I found this thread, subscribed and I will add my data as it comes.
Old 05-08-2016, 6:49 AM

Found what seems to be a magical load for my 14.7" Wilson Combat RT;

Barnes 300gr TTSX
28.0gr Lil'Gun
CCI350
2.250" COL (1.690" ogive using Hornady comparator)

1770 FPS average.

10 rounds at 50 yards, EOTech EXPS2-0 bean bag up front.

I shouldn't say I found this load but read many reports where this load just works. This is the best load I've tested so far.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:03 AM

nice. have anyone load lehigh bullet ?

plinking steel soon

Last edited by Dave626; 05-10-2016 at 4:11 PM..
Old 08-07-2016, 8:56 PM

Default Load Data for 140 grain Arx polycase bullets

I am trying to find load for the 140 grain arx bullet. I have not been successful at all.
Old 08-08-2016, 4:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Find some comparable data with light bullets. Try to use even data (for example, all cast/gc, or all barnes, or all jacketed with same bullet type, all plated, etc)

Pick that one bullet type, selecting the lightest possible. This will likely be plated or jacketed. If your load data has pressure information, great! select recommended loads with the pressure that's as equal as possible.

Now pull up excel and plot the loads, charge weight vs bullet weight. You will likely end up with a linear line. If you use Hodgdon data, the line will be 100% perfect linear.

Extrapolate to 140 grain. That gives you a charge weight. Evaluate. does the number "sound about right"? If so, move to the next step: Next, evaluate your powder. Is it sensitive to underloading? if not, back off 5% and work up a load. Are you loading H110? make a dummy. When you charge the case, measure via caliper how much space is between the bullet base and the top of the powder. If you are near 100% load density, back off a couple percent and work up a load. If you are quite empty, consider seating the bullet deeper, if you can't then re-evaluate the powder.

You get the warmest fuzzies when you extrapolate a load for a powder that is listed primarily for light-for-caliber bullets for the cartridge, end up near 100% load density, extrapolated from a fairly linear curve.

Common sense trumps all. And if at any point you feel quite uncomfortable, stop and re-evaluate.

You'll be fine.
Old 08-14-2016, 1:48 PM

Such a variance in powder charge. According to the new Lyman:
325 FTX
COAL 2.145
H110 starting charge 26g, max 28g
People on here and the 458 forum using 34-36g H110 with a shorter COAL (2.140). How can this be safe? What do you think about the Lyman numbers? This is published load data from a reputable source.
Old 08-14-2016, 2:17 PM
Calguns Addict

not sure.

http://www.reloadammo.com/458-socom.htm

This guide suggests 34.6 is VERY HOT for a 300 grain bullet, then says .2 grains less is OK for a 15% heavier bullet. Construction and material don't really change the head scratching when the weight is almost 20% over.

Are you really concerned? And are you really committed to making that bullet work with H110?

Do this:

Measure 28 grains, then measure the distance between teh powder level and the base of the bullet. then dump in enough powder to reach the base of the bullet and weigh that charge.

Somewhere in there is what makes sense, your job will be to compare those numbers with what people are doing.

If the 28 grain charge has a mile and a half to reach teh base of the bullet, I wouldn't care what the lyman guide says, I wouldn't load it. Not without either the most powerful primer I can find or fond first hand experience with H110 and 458 socom
Old 08-14-2016, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilivwith4girls View Post
Such a variance in powder charge. According to the new Lyman:
325 FTX
COAL 2.145
H110 starting charge 26g, max 28g
People on here and the 458 forum using 34-36g H110 with a shorter COAL (2.140). How can this be safe? What do you think about the Lyman numbers? This is published load data from a reputable source.
26-28 sounds good. Lyman data is very suspect- 32 grains marks brass in my guns.

I use 27.5 when I loaded these, I had mixed results depending on upper I was using.

What length gas tube are you using, typically mid-length guns don't function well with H110.

You will find Lil'Gun much more forgiving in the 458 SOCOM.

The guys are on 458 SOCOM forum are very experienced - I would you suggest go there.

Good luck and be safe
Ruggy
Old 08-14-2016, 4:20 PM

325 ftx with Lil gun 29gr. U can try start working from 27gr. 29gr Lil gun with 325 ftx got me 1" moa at 100yds.
Old 08-14-2016, 4:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggyh View Post
26-28 sounds good. Lyman data is very suspect- 32 grains marks brass in my guns.

I use 27.5 when I loaded these, I had mixed results depending on upper I was using.

What length gas tube are you using, typically mid-length guns don't function well with H110.

You will find Lil'Gun much more forgiving in the 458 SOCOM.

The guys are on 458 SOCOM forum are very experienced - I would you suggest go there.

Good luck and be safe
Ruggy
Brass marking is usually a timing issue not a pressure issue. I've solved it with a heavier buffer. A stiffer buffer spring can also help.

Seems like all the loads that work really well in my rifle chew up my brass with a milspec 5.56 setup

Last edited by Paul_R; 08-14-2016 at 7:59 PM..
Old 08-15-2016, 6:23 AM

You should not need to use the heavy spring for light bullets in 458 SOCOM.

Even the 405 typically function fine with standard spring- don't try to make the gun something its not - no hot rodding required.

Timing is directly related to pressure and gas volume.

Suggest anyone who is serious about 458 SOCOM cheeck the 458 SOCOM forum site- great information- Marty post there often.

Good luck and be safe
Ruggy
Old 08-15-2016, 7:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I got that info directly from the 458 SOCOM forum.

Timing is only concerned with pressure at the gas port, which can be way off spec without over pressurizing the case depending on the powder, barrel, type gas system, ect. What "should be" often ain't what is and fixing a problem doesn't necessarily mean trying to make the round something it isn't.

It's important to remember that this round was developed for the military. A lot of military brass gets chewed up with perfectly safe operating pressures and not just with 458 SOCOM. They don't care, the brass stays on the battlefield. It us civilian reloaders that have a problem with chewed up brass. Especially really expensive brass...

Last edited by Paul_R; 08-15-2016 at 9:09 AM..
Old 09-02-2016, 4:14 PM

just a head up, Cabelas having the 325gr FTX bullet (not loaded round) for $0.47 after discount and free shipping

Old 10-09-2016, 10:22 AM

Howdy All,
Write me in as a new Socom owner and reloader... Currently I have 300 and 405gn hardcast to play with, IMR4198 and Federal Magnum Match Primers. Seams i have already purchased the wrong primers based on being thin, but I wouldn't think an issue with the blunt slugs I'll be loading. I still may exchange them.
Data is slim on these rounds but looks like 30gn is a good starting point all around, and for the moment I will just be doing some reading.

just wanted to say Hi! I am in NorCal as I see some others are as well.
Old 10-10-2016, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
Howdy All,
Write me in as a new Socom owner and reloader... Currently I have 300 and 405gn hardcast to play with, IMR4198 and Federal Magnum Match Primers. Seams i have already purchased the wrong primers based on being thin, but I wouldn't think an issue with the blunt slugs I'll be loading. I still may exchange them.
Data is slim on these rounds but looks like 30gn is a good starting point all around, and for the moment I will just be doing some reading.

Only commenting on the primers, its not that the Federal cups are thin or softer than say the CCI's 350's (only primer I will use for 458S), its the primer compound is more sensitive and can be detonated by shock. This can and has lead to slam fire issues.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
Howdy All,

I've got some CCI or Winchester primers I can trade you for some of those Federals. PM me if you're interested. I'm in Elk Grove.
Old 11-10-2016, 3:36 PM

50 yards

i will try 100 yards next visit.

Old 11-28-2016, 9:49 PM

Tag
Old 06-26-2018, 4:45 AM

Default Berry's 350 plated issue

Hiah.. New member here..

This is a trickypicky round to load for sure.. Regarding the COAL on the load data posted at the top of the thread*, I don't see how that could work. Berry's plated 350 gr flat nose can't be 2.085 or even anything close to that. The round will not go into battery and hard jams into the rifling. Despite the comments on MidwayUSA regarding the cannelure being for 45-70 govt only, you have to seat these to the cannelure in order for them to even cycle.

IMR 4198, 34 gr,
Berry's Plated 350 Gr (flat nose, they only make one)
COAL 2.085 (no way) If it is seated and or crimped to the cannelure, it is more like 1.975.. Significant difference. At this COAL, they will sit a few thou off the rifling and the action cycles like a swiss watch and you won't have any mag feeding issues either.
Old 06-26-2018, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstewart View Post
Found what seems to be a magical load for my 14.7" Wilson Combat RT;

Barnes 300gr TTSX
28.0gr Lil'Gun
CCI350
2.250" COL (1.690" ogive using Hornady comparator)

1770 FPS average.

10 rounds at 50 yards, EOTech EXPS2-0 bean bag up front.

I shouldn't say I found this load but read many reports where this load just works. This is the best load I've tested so far.
Yep I use the same bullet/ powder/ primer combo and have virtually same (or better ) results. I am using a 16 in BlackRain upper with Rock River lower and nice trigger. Now I am tweaking around with slight changes in OAL, and .5 gr increments either way of 28 gr Lilgun. BTW no crimp, very slight bell at mouth. Note: I am "cheating" with a 1x4 Accupoint scope and bagged at front. This is my current favorite rifle, yes rainbow trajectory, but great sub 175 yd hunting round.
'I own the guns I own because I acknowledge mankind's shortcomings instead of pretending like they don't exist. There are evil men in this world and there just may be a time when I need to do the unthinkable to protect me or my family,'
Joshua Boston

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics, is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." Plato
Old 07-03-2018, 7:27 AM

Seems like this is the most information dense thread out there on 458 socom reloading, that being said has anyone reloaded any Missouri HiTek coated bullets or have any load data on them?

(on a side note, what bullet suppliers are you guys using?)
Old 07-10-2018, 7:50 PM

Guys, I have a little issue with the round not chambering all the way it seems like the bolt is about an 1/8" 1/4" from closing, any idea what I did wrong?

Barrel is a 16" BCA
using hornady dies
cases length at 1.572 +/- 0.001
OAL at 2.02"
Old 07-10-2018, 8:45 PM

Did you test your completed cartridges in a cartridge case gauge?
Old 07-10-2018, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift View Post
Did you test your completed cartridges in a cartridge case gauge?
I have not, would the tromix case gauge work with the BCA barrel?

sized cases will chamber fine but once I load and seat the bullet the bolt wont fully close.