Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-02-2018, 6:12 PM

Default Stop The Bleed, Bleeding Control Class

We have a thread in the Sacramento Chapter sub-forum (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1442105), but I wanted to start one here to get a little more exposure.

What is Stop The Bleed? https://www.bleedingcontrol.org

"Stop The Bleed is a national awareness campaign and a call to action. Stop The Bleed is intended to cultivate grassroots efforts that encourage bystanders to become trained, equipped and empowered to help in a bleeding emergency before professional help arrives. Stop The Bleed partners with local instructors, to offer a no cost bleeding control class".

I had first heard of the Stop The Bleed classes on Thunder Ranch's Instagram. I did a little research and it looked like a good way to get some basic training for a bleeding emergency. It didn't require a lot of time (classes are usually an hour and a half) and the price was right (free). So I went to https://cms.bleedingcontrol.org/Class/Search to locate a class close to me.

From the classes I looked at online, the capacity of the class can vary from 8 to 30 students (my class had a capacity of 20, but there were only 6 of us). Some classes are walk-in, but most require registration. My class allowed online registration, but some may require it by telephone or email. The classes list the name of the instructor and they all appeared to be taught by doctors, or nurses (my class was given by a trauma surgeon and one of his residents). I'm not sure of the requirements to be a Stop The Bleed instructor, but it appears they want someone who has real life experience. It was great having someone who had "been there, done that" give the class. Instead of someone just reading from the training manual.

The class is a combination of a PowerPoint presentation and a hands on period. During the PowerPoint and through out the class, the instructor augmented the training material with his personal experience of what has worked, what hasn't and also shared some dang good stories. All the time, happy to answer any questions we had. The last 30 minutes of the class were hands on. We practiced applying tourniquets to ourselves and others. We also practiced packing wounds with gauze, on a hemorrhage control trainer (basically a fake leg/thigh). This is also a great time to ask any questions that may not have been answered earlier. I had taken pen and paper to class for notes, but the information proved easy to retain and I only jotted a few things down.

After completing the class, I am way more prepared to provide assistance in a bleeding emergency. I really can't say enough good things about the class and recommend it to anyone who doesn't already possess the skills. To get the full benefit of the training, you will need to purchase some items and have them on hand. Since the class, I have purchased tourniquets, gauze, etc and I'm making sure that my home, vehicles and shooting bag are equipped with the required items. Will I ever need the stuff? I want to think positive, so I hope it's a total waste of money and I never need any of it. But, it'll be the best money I've every wasted. Also, taking the class has caused me to want to gain even more knowledge, so I've started to search for more in depth training.

I hope others also find the class of interest and attend one. If you have attended one, it would be great to hear your thoughts on the class.

Last edited by FZJ Cruiser; 07-02-2018 at 6:47 PM..
Old 07-02-2018, 8:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Interesting. Nice price too.
Old 07-03-2018, 5:08 AM

Great write up. Going to a class next week, will share my thoughts afterwards.

WTB SKS
Winchester Model 12, 1200 or 1300
older 870 Wingmasters in 12 or 20 gauge in SoCal/IE
Old 07-05-2018, 3:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I recently retired from my position working in a public elementary school district. One of my last official actions was writing a letter to my supervisor and the school board suggesting the purchase of Stop the Bleed kits for every classroom.

Currently the classrooms have 'emergency bags' that are woefully inadequate. Some Band Aids, gauze pads and adhesive tape. Everything is long-expired.

At around $50 for the basic STB kits and free training, the entire district could be set up for under $5K. Literally pennies in the grand scheme of things, and it could save a life.
Old 07-05-2018, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
I recently retired from my position working in a public elementary school district. One of my last official actions was writing a letter to my supervisor and the school board suggesting the purchase of Stop the Bleed kits for every classroom.

Currently the classrooms have 'emergency bags' that are woefully inadequate. Some Band Aids, gauze pads and adhesive tape. Everything is long-expired.

At around $50 for the basic STB kits and free training, the entire district could be set up for under $5K. Literally pennies in the grand scheme of things, and it could save a life.
I heard that in Red Bluff one of the bars did a fundraiser to buy those kits for all the police cars recently.
Old 07-05-2018, 3:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalkid View Post
I heard that in Red Bluff one of the bars did a fundraiser to buy those kits for all the police cars recently.
Good to know.

It just seems like a simple thing to have on hand, and at minimal cost.

Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any available classes anywhere near here.

Don't you have a medical background? Any thoughts on becoming an instructor?
Old 07-05-2018, 3:27 PM

Here are some dates for the classes in the San Diego area held at Scrips La Jolla.

Classes are free and start at 1300

858.626.6362 Call for a reservation

I took the class in June and it's the best hour you will ever spend!
Old 07-05-2018, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMang_89 View Post
Great write up. Going to a class next week, will share my thoughts afterwards.
Thanks! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the class.

Quote:

It would be great if more schools would take your advice. For the cost, it's an absolute bargain.

Quote:
Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any available classes anywhere near here.
Earlier this year, Enloe Medical Center in Chico had some classes. Anyone in the area could give them a call to see when their next class will be. The telephone number they have listed for the Stop The Bleed program is (530)-332-6745. Or if you're part of a group, you can contact them at https://enloeplanetree.wufoo.com/forms/q19v9i8b14md3ib/ to host a class.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:22 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

Be sure to wear basic BSI.....
Old 07-15-2018, 12:07 PM

I'm going to one in Upland next Monday, cuz ya never know...

Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. - James Madison
Old 07-15-2018, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

Tag
Old 07-15-2018, 6:31 PM
Calguns Addict

not to snarky, but what do they teach beyond "putting the white stuff on the red stuff" method to staunch or slow the flow? Packing and pressure is kinda common sense.
IMO you should study first aid and get a little wider range of info. If only to reduce the "duh??? " factor.

Sent using a long string and 2 Dixie cups
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 07-15-2018, 7:21 PM

The wife and I took the class at Fresno Community regional medical center, the lecture was presented by the head of the trauma surgery department. Highly recommend it. Definitely made us stock up on quick clot and CAT tourniquets!
Old 07-15-2018, 7:33 PM

The wife and I took the class at Fresno Community regional medical center, the lecture was presented by the head of the trauma surgery department. Highly recommend it. Definitely made us stock up on quick clot and CAT tourniquets!