Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:08 AM

Default Gas Can Recs?

I want to get a gas can to keep in my car. To be kept filled for emergencies and additional range.

Which cans and additional nozzles do you guys use?

How long do you keep the gas in the can before you rotate it?

How do you secure the can in your trunk/vehicle?

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2018, 7:19 AM

I would only use a NATO fuel can, good for over a year
Old 11-09-2018, 7:29 AM

Here's another question: Is it actually safe to keep a gas can, say a 5-7 gallon can, in your trunk, secured of course? I've always thought not, but does anyone here have experience to back it up that is is, in fact, safe?
Old 11-09-2018, 7:38 AM

Not a good idea.
Old 11-09-2018, 9:14 AM
Probationary Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I could see having an empty one to fill in an emergency but personally, I would not keep it in my car for so many reasons.

Instead, I try to make sure that my tank is at least half full so that if there is an emergency, I have enough to get out of the area.
Old 11-09-2018, 9:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmneal93 View Post
Here's another question: Is it actually safe to keep a gas can, say a 5-7 gallon can, in your trunk, secured of course? I've always thought not, but does anyone here have experience to back it up that is is, in fact, safe?
i wouldnt keep it in a trunk, fumes and such. roof or bed of truck is better.

a full gas can isnt really that dangerous, its when its empty that explosions tend to occur.
Old 11-09-2018, 9:44 AM

Think Pinto
Old 11-09-2018, 10:02 AM

I keep some full ones in the shop, and the tank virtually always full.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:05 AM

Old 11-09-2018, 3:01 PM

Well Amazon has the NATO cans. But it is giving me "This item cannot be shipped to your selected location" message.
Old 11-09-2018, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Religious Shooter View Post
Well Amazon has the NATO cans. But it is giving me "This item cannot be shipped to your selected location" message.
Welcome to California.
Old 11-09-2018, 3:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan275 View Post
Welcome to California.
lol, no doubt. i tried to order that bug a-salt rifle and got the same message.
Old 11-09-2018, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan275 View Post
Welcome to California.
Some people like to make the excuse they are 'still in the fight' by staying in CA, but the reality is that if you're a taxpayer and you're staying in CA you're just funding the enemy. If on the other hand if you're a net taker, please stay and 'fight' more.

CA is lost, best strat now is let it implode and rebuild.
Old 11-09-2018, 6:31 PM

I ordered a few more from Wavian a few months ago and they shipped them to CA. You might also check your local ACE Hardware as they carry them on occasion as well.
Old 11-09-2018, 7:08 PM

In general, i think carrying a can of gas in a car's trunk is a bad idea. If i wanted one for certain trips, or camping, the only one i would trust is a true NATO spec can. They don't leak, even if on their side.

I have some of these and they are the best. Wavian, Wedco, Valpro, Gelg are all quality cans. Stat away from the chinese knockoffs.

This 10L can (2.6 gallons) may be a more suitable size to carry in a trunk.
https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/GJC10

You can buy a jerry can mount. I would mount it in the center of your trunk to protect it in the event of an accident.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:06 PM

I'll second the true NATO spec steel gas cans. Having carried fuel for years on extended Baja trips as well as rotating fuel cans on the rural homestead, I am done with plastic fuel cans or anything CARB approved.

My 6 NATO spec fuel cans with normal spout for pouring are the best and worth every penny. Don't buy the fake imitation cans out there. Buy the real NATO cans.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:58 PM

Is this fuel specifically for that vehicle? If so, Have you considered maybe having a small reserve tank installed on the vehicle?
Old 11-11-2018, 9:26 AM

Any opinion on the 30 liter steel cans?
Old 11-11-2018, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedle View Post
Any opinion on the 30 liter steel cans?
Which 30L can are you referring to? The biggest jerry can I've seen is 20L. A 30L can would be close to 8 gallons. The weight of the can plus the fuel would make it quite heavy.
Old 11-11-2018, 9:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Ebay is your friend in this case

Old 11-11-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyhog View Post
Which 30L can are you referring to? The biggest jerry can I've seen is 20L. A 30L can would be close to 8 gallons. The weight of the can plus the fuel would make it quite heavy.
Sportsmans Guide has some 10, 20, and 30 liter steel cans. They are not milsurp AFAICT but they might not suck too much.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:12 AM
Libertarian Space Cowboy.
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: May have been the losing side, still not convinced it was the wrong one.

https://www.campingmaxx.com/4-used-n...an-nozzle.html
“Sometimes you can’t make an omelette without breaking a few eggs, executing the hens who laid them on trumped up charges and setting the most rebellious henhouse on fire as an example to the others.”
Old 11-11-2018, 2:24 PM
Calguns Addict

About the only gas can I would ever consider carrying inside a vehicle are the original Scepter military cans...they are actually approved for internal transport. But even then I still wouldn't carry a gas can inside a vehicle unless it as an absolute emergency and there was no other choice.

But whether you can find a source for these that will ship them in CA is a whole other question.

https://mil.sceptermilitary.com/fuel_containers/

Fighter Pilot
Old 11-11-2018, 2:27 PM

Id also stick only with milspec cans, everything else is terrible and that stupid as hell 'anti-leak' nozzle always spills my gas like mad, what the hell is this crap!
Old 11-11-2018, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedle View Post
Sportsmans Guide has some 10, 20, and 30 liter steel cans. They are not milsurp AFAICT but they might not suck too much.
I've seen these cans, but never used them myself. They are definitely Chinese, and I know the steel is thinner than the NATO cans, they have crappy welds, and they are not coated on the inside like the NATO cans, so they will rust with exposure to moisture. You can see the mixed reviews on Sportsman's Guide.

The OP asked about a can to carry in his trunk. If he was looking for a can to keep in the shed, I'm sure they would be adequate. For hard use, or carrying in a trunk, I wouldn't trust them. True NATO spec cans are the only ones I would trust to carry in a trunk.

I bought my cans from this site, and sometimes they have free shipping. These are high quality cans that are proven to function properly and stand up to years of service- the 4-pack of 20L cans is $169.99 and the good spouts are about $25. I think you get what you pay for when it comes to these cans.
https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/GJC20K4
Old 11-11-2018, 2:41 PM

The ones shown in the picture are dated 2002. Whether you receive pre-2008 cans is not clear. It may be worth the premium price to have pre-ban cans, but I've never heard of anybody having an issue. For roughly the same money, I would rather have new cans. Sometimes this place has sales and free shipping, so you have to check periodically- https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/GJC20K4
Old 11-11-2018, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
About the only gas can I would ever consider carrying inside a vehicle are the original Scepter military cans...they are actually approved for internal transport. But even then I still wouldn't carry a gas can inside a vehicle unless it as an absolute emergency and there was no other choice.

But whether you can find a source for these that will ship them in CA is a whole other question.

The Scepter MFCs have great reviews, but never bought any myself. Costco and other places sell Scepter plastic cans, but they are not the same as the Military Fuel Containers. True MFCs are very pricey, even used, and I believe the gasket is different for diesel and gasoline. They also make a water container, which looks the same, not sure if it is a different color or just doesn't say "fuel" on it. When I was researching Jerry cans, I think new Scepter MFCs were about $100 each.
I think they are made in Canada, and not only tough to get in California, but anywhere in the US.
Old 11-11-2018, 2:49 PM
Veteran Member

Here's additional info on gas cans in the state of California.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1471243
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 11-11-2018, 3:16 PM

Rotopax?

WTB: Colt Detective Special, AMT Hardballer, all-INOX Beretta 92FS, Tikka T3 Sporter, pre-64 Winchester Model 70, HK MP5-A5 22LR

Cashback options for your Brownells, Cabelas, eBay, Amazon purchases..
Ebates Referral - $10 for you and $10 for me.
Active Junky (AJ) Referral - $10 for you and $10 for me.
Swagbucks too!
Old 11-12-2018, 8:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post

Scepter gas cans are awesome. But I thought they stopped selling to civilians

Old 11-12-2018, 8:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Or you could go stainless

http://www.sandparts.com/Stainless-S...g_p_72224.html

Old 11-12-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I've seen these cans, but never used them myself. They are definitely Chinese, and I know the steel is thinner than the NATO cans, they have crappy welds, and they are not coated on the inside like the NATO cans, so they will rust with exposure to moisture. You can see the mixed reviews on Sportsman's Guide.

The OP asked about a can to carry in his trunk. If he was looking for a can to keep in the shed, I'm sure they would be adequate. For hard use, or carrying in a trunk, I wouldn't trust them. True NATO spec cans are the only ones I would trust to carry in a trunk.

I bought my cans from this site, and sometimes they have free shipping. These are high quality cans that are proven to function properly and stand up to years of service- the 4-pack of 20L cans is $169.99 and the good spouts are about $25. I think you get what you pay for when it comes to these cans.
I just store fuel in my shop to supplement the full tank I keep in the car. I guess it's conceivable I'd carry one with me but the only times I've ever done this was in the back of a pickup or on a trailer with off road vehicles.
Old 11-12-2018, 2:36 PM

Quote:

+1 on these. I have three 20l and one 10l. They're green but I painted the handles red for easy ID. Also got the nozzles sold by them.
Old 11-12-2018, 2:42 PM

You don't want to carry a can of gas around in your trunk.
CRPA Member
Old 11-12-2018, 2:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Scepter Military fuel cans are not sold commercially in the U.S.
There are a couple guys in Canada that will ship them to you at around $100 each, hard to get.
Not a good idea to carry a full fuel can around enclosed in the truck of your car OP.
For home storage, these work great, highest quality metal NATO cans, you just have to paint them red. I just masked off the top (handles and nozzle area) and painted the rest red.

Set of four cans $156 free shipping

https://deutscheoptik.com/20-liter-j...t-of-four.html

Last edited by VictorFranko; 11-12-2018 at 4:25 PM..
Old 11-12-2018, 3:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFranko View Post
Scepter Military fuel cans are not sold in the U.S.
There are a couple guys in Canada that will ship them to you at around $100 each, hard to get.
depends on how much you want em:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Scepte...jJmZ:rk:2:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scepter-Mil...33L~:rk:1:pf:0
Old 11-12-2018, 4:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Let me rephrase that: Scepter Military fuel cans are not sold "commercially" in the U.S.
Old 11-12-2018, 5:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Full gas can(s) on the outside of the vehicle only!

At the local flea market the other day a seller had several GI Scepter cans for sale. Probably from Ft. Bragg. Shoulda bought them for you folks stuck in occupied territory!

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Old 11-13-2018, 3:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smle-man View Post
Full gas can(s) on the outside of the vehicle only!

At the local flea market the other day a seller had several GI Scepter cans for sale. Probably from Ft. Bragg. Shoulda bought them for you folks stuck in occupied territory!
its a DOT thing, not a CA thing. a couple years ago i tried to ship them to NV or ID and could not due to import requirements from Canada where they are made.
Old 11-13-2018, 4:47 PM

I wouldn’t keep a filled gas can inside a vehicle (trunk or passenger compartment) except for a very short time.

Some off-roaders keep 5-gallon jerricans attached to their vehicles, but outside, where (1) any escaping gases can’t accumulate, and (2) any leaking liquid doesn’t collect in the trunk/cabin.