Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 11-08-2018, 2:07 PM

Default ear protection

i've been getting by with some cheapo muffs from ebay. 28 nrr for $10 and it's suited me fine to get started in shooting. it actually works quite well but there's a part of me that wonders if i'm missing out on 'good' ear pro.
what do you use after trying others?
do electronic muffs neutralize all noise? if so, how do you have a conversation/hear the ro?

fwiw, i prefer the over the ear type cuz they're just easier to use consistently. i've had times when i didn't quite get a good seal with the foam plugs and i don't know that until a shot goes off
Old 11-08-2018, 2:28 PM
Veteran Member

Buy the best ear protection you can afford. Earring lose is not reversible. For outdoors GOOD earmuffs work pretty good. But for indoor shooting i suggest a supplement like plugs and the muffs.
Four years ago I spent some serious cash for some SportEars by Axil.They have 4 setting and a volume control as well. I can hear a conversation yet when a shot goes off it instantly blocks the noise. I have had mine for 4 years and i love them.
The model I bought was not cheap. The pair set me back $2400 but it was well worth it. Good luck in your research.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2018, 2:39 PM
Veteran Member

I have been using Howard Leights for 7 years. Very good for price. $50 on Amazon.
Electronics allow voice levels to pass through to you.
I also use Surefire sonic defenders ear plugs at times. Way better than foam IMO.

No need for me to double up using both types at the same time, but can be done.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 11-08-2018, 2:43 PM

Tag
Old 11-08-2018, 2:51 PM

I recently purchased MSA Sordin Pros with gel cups. Owned the HL's before.

The sordins are great. Really comfortable wearing all day for a match and noise reduction is good to me. I still double up when shooting indoors. My only regret was getting the over the head version vs the behind the head/neck. I have a big ole' grape and I have to put them on a certain wait to make sure they seal.
Old 11-08-2018, 2:53 PM
Veteran Member

The best ear protection around are those "cheap" disposable foam inserts.

Buy a gross from 3M. All the fancy more expensive ones are less reliable for NRR.
Old 11-08-2018, 2:57 PM

Default Learned the Hard Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blademan21 View Post
Buy the best ear protection you can afford. Earring lose is not reversible. For outdoors GOOD earmuffs work pretty good. But for indoor shooting i suggest a supplement like plugs and the muffs.
Four years ago I spent some serious cash for some SportEars by Axil.They have 4 setting and a volume control as well. I can hear a conversation yet when a shot goes off it instantly blocks the noise. I have had mine for 4 years and i love them.
The model I bought was not cheap. The pair set me back $2400 but it was well worth it. Good luck in your research.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well stated. I learned the hard way. Now I can't even hear my wife so well. Where can I get a set of SportEars????
Old 11-08-2018, 3:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtlaw View Post
Well stated. I learned the hard way. Now I can't even hear my wife so well. Where can I get a set of SportEars????
Axil Custom Plugs has a web. Just Google the name and be prepared for sticker shock. Everything has gone up in 5 years.They can be used as a hearing ad and be worn all day or used only when at the range. Just don't wear them in the shower. When I bought mine my wife could no longer whisper behind my back.
Old 11-08-2018, 3:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

just get the highest NRR rated protection you can find. 3M plugs usually get you about 30, add a headset and youre at 40ish approximately. that will bring the sound of a gunshot (140 db) down to safer levels.

the big thing though is to use the plugs properly. i cant tell you how many times i have had to show people how to get them fitted correctly.
Old 11-08-2018, 3:18 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Moscow, Democratic People's Republik of Kaliforniazakstan

The Peltor Sport Tacs are pretty comfy and provide clearance for cheek welds. I specifically got the 300 series. I do recommend that you upgrade it by also getting a cushioned head band from US Tactical Sewing.
Old 11-08-2018, 3:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYT View Post
just get the highest NRR rated protection you can find. 3M plugs usually get you about 30, add a headset and youre at 40ish approximately. that will bring the sound of a gunshot (140 db) down to safer levels.

the big thing though is to use the plugs properly. i cant tell you how many times i have had to show people how to get them fitted correctly.
So true, not many people know to roll them for inserting and to lift the ear canal open.
Old 11-08-2018, 3:30 PM
Veteran Member

Hearing loss is permanent. Don't cheap out on it.

Use GOOD foam earplugs. I use 3M 32(?) NRR. I look for the highest NRR I can get.

I mostly shoot indoors, so that means I double-up on hearing protection. I use those foam earplugs + Howard Leight Impact Sport earpro at 23(?) NRR. They're electronic, so they're supposed to allow normal conversation etc, but cut-off gun shots. However, they don't work perfectly.

The "Best" hearing protection for you isn't necessarily the most expensive. Test out which is best for you. I would however, start with GOOD foam earplugs and learn how to use them. You can't just put them in. You have to know how to roll em. I usually bring at least 3 plugs with me each time since there is always one side that won't seal correctly.

Another thing to consider is what eye protection you're using. Some glasses designs won't allow the rubber to seal correctly on the ear muffs. Both my wife and I use ESS Crossbows which have thin arms so as not to break the seal.

Speaking as a life-long tinnitus sufferer, protect your hearing, it's the only one you've got.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 11-08-2018, 3:33 PM

Howard Leights for many years....
Old 11-08-2018, 3:51 PM

I usually double up whether indoors or outdoors. I buy a 50 box of the foamies at Harbor Freight & Tool for $8, and use Howard Leights on top. The microphones work really well, and I can hear conversations even with the foamies in.

Another nice thing about using both is I don't need to jam the foamies in as far so it's a bit more comfortable.
Old 11-08-2018, 4:16 PM

the foam plugs i referenced above are actually really good 30nrr and if sealed correctly are quieter than my muffs. yes, i know how to roll them up and insert to get a good seal. but doing that multiple times a session got tiresome and i did mess up a couple times hence the muffs which are easy peasy. one thing i don't like about the muffs is how sweaty i get around the ears during the summer.

for actual protection, are we targeting 27-30 ish nrr as good? if so, mine are fine but i may still look for some slimmer profile replacements and keep these as loaners.
Old 11-08-2018, 4:20 PM

any thoughts on these walkers? comparable to the howard leights on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0WEFQ8...3-7541b2e57237
Old 11-08-2018, 4:22 PM

tangentially, do all soldiers come back deaf??
Old 11-08-2018, 4:30 PM

make sure it has a VERY fast response time - your ears can get some damage quickly with the sort of dBA exposure in an indoor range.

I prefer 3M classic plus, and 30+ dB earmuffs (old fashioned) over them.
Old 11-08-2018, 4:31 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Moscow, Democratic People's Republik of Kaliforniazakstan

The issues with square profile earpros like the HL and Walkers are that they are square and offer minimal protection when the batteries die. If you have a smaller head, they tend to not seal well. Plus not as comfy.
Old 11-08-2018, 4:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by code_blue View Post
The issues with square profile earpros like the HL and Walkers are that they are square and offer minimal protection when the batteries die. If you have a smaller head, they tend to not seal well. Plus not as comfy.
Batteries have nothing to do with the NRR.

The batteries only power the microphone and speaker system. The mic and speakers only have a certain decibel range and can't transmit sound louder than a certain level, a gunshot is above that level so it comes through as a pop compressed to the level of the microphone and speaker system. The same applies as to why you don't need ear pro to watch gun videos on your phone.
Old 11-08-2018, 4:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkthree View Post
tangentially, do all soldiers come back deaf??
Almost all, not from guns or bombs, but mainly equipment and vehicles. All my hearing loss is from riding in CH 47 helicopters in Afghanistan. Once spent over an hour in one without ear pro.
Old 11-08-2018, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heydeck52 View Post
I recently purchased MSA Sordin Pros with gel cups. Owned the HL's before.

The sordins are great. Really comfortable wearing all day for a match and noise reduction is good to me. I still double up when shooting indoors. My only regret was getting the over the head version vs the behind the head/neck. I have a big ole' grape and I have to put them on a certain wait to make sure they seal.
^^^^^^This.
I have a giant dome as well. Bought the Sordins with the gel cups and behind the neck band a couple of years ago. Love them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2018, 6:38 PM

For some reason i thought these electronic muffs acted like music headphones with active noise cancelling. Anyone try those for shooting?

Ill look into those sordin pros too
Old 11-08-2018, 7:09 PM
Calguns Addict

MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X and Peltor Comtac III's are widely regarded as two of the best sets on the market. But there's new stuff coming out all the time. Safariland just released their Liberator HP's a short while ago and I hear they're good but don't have any direct experience with them.

Do note that electronic protection can leave you a bit disappointed. There seems to be an ever so slight lag on most electronic muffs and that lag can be enough to make things uncomfortable...even dangerous. I'm a fan of doubling up with electronics even outdoors. Put in some plugs, pop the muffs on and turn them up all the way and you're good to go.

BTW, I've used Pro Ear Gold, Howard Leight Sport and my current set is the MSA Sordins. The MSA's are my favorite so far. YMMV

Whatever you get, make absolutely sure they are capable of using the gel cups and get a set. The gel cups are infinitely more comfortable and do a better job of sealing...especially around glasses. I would not buy a pair of electronics that were not capable of accepting gel cups.

Fighter Pilot

Last edited by L84CABO; 11-08-2018 at 7:12 PM..
Old 11-08-2018, 7:26 PM

Quote:
any thoughts on these walkers? comparable to the howard leights on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0WEFQ8...3-7541b2e57237
I have had Howard Leights for many years. They still work but have gotten quieter (people’s voices) . I bought a pair of Walkers this Year. They are a little more comfortable and are much louder (people’s voices) than the HL. One time I left the power on and the next Time I used them I had to put batteries in them.
I use them over my Sport Ears or roll ups.

The power of Gun free Zones https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=hnBWa_xJz6A

In California we're called "Wacko right-wing gun toting nut jobs with an arsenal" most other states just call us People.
Old 11-08-2018, 9:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
For some reason i thought these electronic muffs acted like music headphones with active noise cancelling. Anyone try those for shooting?

Ill look into those sordin pros too
No, that would be a terrible idea. Noise canceling headphones actually pump more noise into your ears. They trick your ears into thinking they eliminate noise by attenuation of ambient frequency, but they offer very little decibel reduction if any.

Some high end monitors used by sound techs and musicians do offer nominal protection, but not nearly enough to be used for firearms.
Old 11-09-2018, 7:21 AM

I use electronics. If i'm indoors, I double up with earplugs as well. My hearing is already damaged and getting worse, so I do what I can to protect what I got left.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnamonBear723 View Post
I use electronics. If i'm indoors, I double up with earplugs as well. My hearing is already damaged and getting worse, so I do what I can to protect what I got left.

Not sure if you experience this or not, but my ears have gotten more and more sensitive as I’ve gotten older and hearing gets worse.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 11-09-2018, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Oh, one more thing. Don’t discount even a 3 dB NRR increase as minimal. It’s a huge difference.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 11-09-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDizzle View Post
No, that would be a terrible idea. Noise canceling headphones actually pump more noise into your ears. They trick your ears into thinking they eliminate noise by attenuation of ambient frequency, but they offer very little decibel reduction if any.

Some high end monitors used by sound techs and musicians do offer nominal protection, but not nearly enough to be used for firearms.

good to know.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
i've been getting by with some cheapo muffs from ebay. 28 nrr for $10 and it's suited me fine to get started in shooting. it actually works quite well but there's a part of me that wonders if i'm missing out on 'good' ear pro.
what do you use after trying others?
do electronic muffs neutralize all noise? if so, how do you have a conversation/hear the ro?

fwiw, i prefer the over the ear type cuz they're just easier to use consistently. i've had times when i didn't quite get a good seal with the foam plugs and i don't know that until a shot goes off
No, they do not neutralize all noise. The electronics are NOT like the noise canceling technology you find in headphones. What the electronics in shooting muffs do is amplify outside sounds (like talking) so you can hear what's going on around you even though you are wearing the muffs. Then, when a very loud noise occurs, like a gunshot, the electronics instantly lower the intensity of the gunshot to a reasonable level (or in cheaper muffs, completely turn off the speakers).

There are two types of electronic muffs. The cheaper ones cut off all sound from the speakers when a shot occurs. So, when holding a conversation with someone during gunshots, the sound from the speakers is completely shut off when a gunshot occurs making it difficult to hold a conversation. The good electronic muffs don't just shut everything off, they keep the speakers active but lower loud sounds to a much lower level, thus keeping what you're hearing through the speakers uninterrupted. That's the way to go.

I've had a pair of these for years and they work really well:

https://www.amazon.com/Peltor-97451-...ltor+ear+muffs

And I more recently got a pair of MSR Sordins which I like a lot. Both, though, are a tight fit on my extra large bean (one of the tribulations of a huge brain ) and I may get myself a set of Sordins with the band that goes around the back.

Another muff I'm tempted to try are those from Pro Ear.

http://proears.com

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's tried both the Sardines (darn spell checker!) and Pro Ear. Pros/cons of each.

I'm not sure, but I think the Howard Leight electronic muffs cut all sound when a shot occurs. Maybe they've improved their electronics, though.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Old 11-09-2018, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

I have sensitive hearing and have been thru dozens of headmuffs. The best ive found, By Far, are the Clearamour. They are amazing, read the reviews. $15 bucks @ amazon right now. You cant go wrong

For slimline, the Pro fo Sho are a close second, and cheap too
Old 11-09-2018, 1:20 PM
Veteran Member

I have always used Howard Leights for indoor and outdoor. I find them very effective though slightly uncomfortable (but tolerable).
This week I was out in the woods shooting a couple AR15s but discovered that I had left my muffs at home. I found some plugs in my shooting bag that I had never used: Surefire EP4 Sonic Defenders. I guess I had bought them as back-ups and forgot about them."
I plugged them in and was surprised at how comfortable and effective they are.
I still prefer the electronic muffs because I like to be able to hear people and critters around me in the woods.
Old 11-09-2018, 8:05 PM
Veteran Member

I got the gel cups for my HL's and what a difference. Noisefighters. Can wear glasses with them.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

I was using plugs for a long time. My uncle knew I was a shooter so he got me bags of plugs from his work. He was laid off about 4 years ago. I ran through the rest of the plugs and decided to go electronic. I bought the Peltor 500. It connects to my phone via Bluetooth so I can listen to music. Prior to owning them, I would have to put plugs on then my headphones over. It wasn’t ideal but I was content for a long time.

I’ve been using the Peltor for about eight months. It does the job. At times when I have the volume up to converse easier and a large caliber goes off, I would hear a loud crack and it will startle me. I don’t know if this is a common thing due to being a first-time electronic owners.
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Marlin 1894C
Colt Python
Colt Series 70
Sig Sauer P228
HK USP9c
Old 11-09-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
I got the gel cups for my HL's and what a difference. Noisefighters. Can wear glasses with them.
Using gel cups here from NF as well with my Walker Razors ($40 on Amazon). I double up and use 3M foam earplugs with the Razors indoor and outdoor.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:15 PM

I've got the MSA Sordin Pro behind-the-neck set and they are ideal for someone - like a range officer who needs all-day long comfort and the best in sound rendition. I'm sure glad I threw down for mine. I can easily wear pretty much whatever kind of hat that I want with these..

That said, my Howard Leight "impact sport" muffs do an excellent job and I keep a pair for a loner set and for unplanned shooting where I don't have anything better. You'll need to double up with either at indoor ranges. The main difference is the sound quality. With my Sordin Pro's, I can tell which direction that sounds are coming from far better than just "left or right" ear.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:02 AM

I recently purchased a set of Peltor (passive) muffs ($20 at Walmart), and had a chance to use them at the range yesterday.

I doubled up with foam plugs while shooting my G17 and my friend's .45 Glock. The difference between plugs only and doubled up was amazing. I actually shot better since the shot noise did not make me flinch.

Not only was shooting more fun, but at 70 years old, I want my hearing to stay as good as it is.
-P
Old 11-10-2018, 8:25 PM

I use Howard Leight Impact Pro outside. Add foam plugs with them indoors. Very happy.
Old 11-10-2018, 9:03 PM

Another vote for Howard Leights, but IMO, I think any electronic ear pro is going to be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk