Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 10-22-2015, 5:53 AM
CGN Contributor

Ferrum, when did you start the process? I'm in the process of doing my Arizona permit. If Amador is taking a year or so it won't work for me. Most likely moving to AZ in 1.5 years.
Old 10-22-2015, 8:45 PM
Janitors Mop
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1957 View Post
Ferrum, when did you start the process? I'm in the process of doing my Arizona permit. If Amador is taking a year or so it won't work for me. Most likely moving to AZ in 1.5 years.
I turned mine application in April. I'll update start to finish times, as soon as the permit hits my mailbox.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:34 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrum View Post
I turned mine application in April. I'll update start to finish times, as soon as the permit hits my mailbox.

So it looks like nine months or so for you. I wonder if knowing a few sheriffs there personally if I could get it done faster.
Old 11-13-2015, 2:10 PM
CGN Contributor

How much are the fees for Amador? Do they require you qualify with all guns on the permit? Can my wife's gun be on my permit? The sheriffs website is horrible. Half the links on the ccw page don't work. I'm planning on turning in my application next Friday. Can you have more than three guns?
Old 11-13-2015, 2:47 PM

I don't remember the exact cost of the initial CCW application but the renewal fee is $57 and valid for 2 years . You have to re-qualify every 2 years with the guns listed on your permit . The CCW qualification class I have used only allows you to qualify with 2 weapons but I am not sure if this is the rule of the particular instructor I used or the Sheriff.
Old 12-28-2015, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6buu View Post
Had my appointment this morning. Everything went well. Live scan happened Serial Numbers verified, money paid. Now it is 3 1/2 month wait for DOJ. As soon as Erin gets the Letter from Sacramento (DOJ) she will issue my permit. Looking at January 15th. 8 Months after my initial application went it.
Done Deal. Permit arrived in today's mail. Post marked the 22nd and I picked up mail on Thursday.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:44 PM
Janitors Mop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1957 View Post
How much are the fees for Amador? Do they require you qualify with all guns on the permit? Can my wife's gun be on my permit? The sheriffs website is horrible. Half the links on the ccw page don't work. I'm planning on turning in my application next Friday. Can you have more than three guns?
No more than three guns and I am not 100% sure about a gun registered to your wife?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker2020 View Post
I don't remember the exact cost of the initial CCW application but the renewal fee is $57 and valid for 2 years . You have to re-qualify every 2 years with the guns listed on your permit . The CCW qualification class I have used only allows you to qualify with 2 weapons but I am not sure if this is the rule of the particular instructor I used or the Sheriff.
I'm going to say your instructor. I did three guns in my class and listed all three on the permit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6buu View Post
Done Deal. Permit arrived in today's mail. Post marked the 22nd and I picked up mail on Thursday.
Still waiting....
Old 01-08-2016, 8:00 PM

Quote:
No more than three guns and I am not 100% sure about a gun registered to your wife?

I'm going to say your instructor. I did three guns in my class and listed all three on the permit.

Still waiting....
3 weeks before I was told it would be here. That's a good sign.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2016, 10:36 PM
Janitors Mop

Got mine today. I will update the time frames next week.

One thing I did notice, which I think I'm going to write a clarification letter about, is there is a blanket restriction on the permit about being in school zones. I understand the legislation and understand that that legislation has an exception that makes concealed carry legal when the school district allows or grants permission.

So, if the school district allows concealed carry, is the opportunity to carry at a school nullified by the restriction on the permit? I'm going to ask...
Old 01-17-2016, 7:41 AM
CGN Contributor

Congrats!!!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2016, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Got mine today.

I will update the time frames next week.

One thing I did notice, which I think I'm going to write a clarification letter about, is there is a blanket restriction on the permit about being in school zones. I understand the legislation and understand that that legislation has an exception that makes concealed carry legal when the school district allows or grants permission.

So, if the school district allows concealed carry, is the opportunity to carry at a school nullified by the restriction on the permit? I'm going to ask...
Congrats!

Did I understand correctly, that you picked it up on a Saturday?

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 01-28-2016, 11:30 AM
Janitors Mop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockN'Roll View Post
Did I understand correctly, that you picked it up on a Saturday?
Yes, I received it Saturday, via US Mail. When they get the results of the live scan, the SO mails it out.

Recap:
4-23-15 Initial App
8-25-15 Call for SO acknowledging app
10-21-15 Live scan and interview
1-16-16 Received permit via US Mail

Total time, 8 months and 24 days.

Thoughts...

This is the second county I have had a CCW in, the previous being Sacramento (initial and 2 renewals there). Pro's and Con's list below, when compared to Sacramento County.

Pro's for Amador:
- Easy application process. They essentially let you know that once you apply, you will get a permit, as long as you have a clean back ground.
- Laid back interview process.
- Generally always someone available to answer questions, if you call.
- No appointment necessary for permit modifications, they can be done over the counter.
- Renewals are over the counter if the appropriate paperwork is complete.

Con's for Amador:
- Time frame. I want to say my initial app with Sac was real close to half of the time. Understandably, Amador is a small county and doesn't have the resources Sac does, but almost 9 months is a drag.
- Unless you call, you won't know where you are at in the process. There is no other way to get an update on status and the communication is pretty one way.

All in all a pleasant process, just requires a lot of patience. Hats off the the Sheriff for his issuance policy and ease of getting a permit.

On a final note, most permits come with a list of restrictions. One of them has to do with SB707... The statement essentially says that you may not carry at schools and university grounds. In my opinion, this nullifies carry in those districts that giver permission for concealed carry. I will be following up for clarification on this issue.
Old 11-28-2016, 5:32 PM

Anyone have recent application info in Amamdor County? I've got a buddy getting ready to apply there
Old 11-23-2020, 9:27 AM

Default Amador County First-Time CCW License Process Timeline

1. July 11, 2020 - received the required 8-hour training
2. July 15, 2020 - submitted all required forms to sheriff's office
3. October 16, 2020 - received letter from the Sheriff's office indicating I was tentatively approved, and to call and make an appointment at the Sheriff's office to provide a training certificate, submit to fingerprinting and pay the fee
4. November 5, 2020 - provided proof of training, LiveScan fingerprinted and paid fees. There was no interview, just a conversation of carry do's and dont's.
5. November 21, 2020 - received CCW certificate in the mail

Total time from request to certificate: 129 days