Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 08-23-2014, 9:36 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG of MP View Post
As long as I am picking on Merced County, the bottom of their CCW page includes an FAQ including this little bit of helpful info:

• Is a CCW permit issued in Merced County valid in other states? No

I guess I missed the legislation that gave Merced the right to decide what other states will and will not honor.
That's a pretty vacuous complaint. Merced has no legal authority to grant CCW in other states, nor does any state have such cross-border authority. Perhaps they want to protect their licensees from the erroneous conclusion apparently reached by the Pennsylvania licensee who strayed into New Jersey and who is now being prosecuted.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 08-23-2014, 9:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
That's a pretty vacuous complaint. Merced has no legal authority to grant CCW in other states, nor does any state have such cross-border authority. Perhaps they want to protect their licensees from the erroneous conclusion apparently reached by the Pennsylvania licensee who strayed into New Jersey and who is now being prosecuted.
Well, to be fair, he's correct in that the license isn't *necessarily* invalid in other states, but the Sheriff probably doesn't want people to make assumptions (or be "at fault" for an incident out of California).

It seems to me that, if another state's laws recognize a valid home-state carry license, then a California license would be valid for carry in that jurisdiction (subject to state and local conditions/restrictions).

But, importantly, if the California license issuing authority placed a written time/place/manner restriction on the California license saying that the license is valid only in California, then it's possible that the license would NOT be valid outside of the state in jurisdictions that predicate its recognition on the license being valid. (However, where laws require only that a person possess a home-state license, it might be perfectly fine.)

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Thx all. I was just getting bored waiting for the Peruta intervention decision and the Pantano SCOTUS cert deadline and was wondering what other pro-RKBA cases were moving forward. Sounds like nothing at this point.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Moving forward, yes. Moving slowly as with most litigation, yes. But not "not moving".

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 08-23-2014, 1:53 PM

Vacuous???? Did you really have to insult me with such a tag for pointing out the hubris of those who should not be so? Thanks.
District of Columbia vs. Heller
Old 01-01-2015, 10:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Moving forward, yes. Moving slowly as with most litigation, yes. But not "not moving".

-Brandon
It's been 4 months since last update. Any news in Lu?
Old 01-01-2015, 10:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
It's been 4 months since last update. Any news in Lu?
You can sign up for alerts on the court of appeal website.

-Brandon

Old 01-01-2015, 4:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
You can sign up for alerts on the court of appeal website.

-Brandon
Thx.

I've tried emailing you, but haven't heard back and you haven't posted in the Merced Co thread so I don't know if you've see post #451 at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...352767&page=12

Looks like the time is ripe for someone at CGF to go over w/the new sheriff CGF's model CCW policy.