Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:13 PM

Default Was Skye the lion taken by poaching?

I got this petition by email the other day.

I don't know whether the hunter in question took this lion lawfully.
So, I have been reluctant to sign the petition without getting all the
facts. I would only sign the petition if I were convinced the lion
was poached.

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/take...tID=2687646096

Do you remember Cecil? He was the lion that American dentist Walter Palmer shot in cold blood near Hwange National Park in Zimbabwe. When the world learned of Cecil's death, they were rightfully enraged. The lion was one of the most famous in Zimbabwe, if not Africa, and he had grown up wild but used to being in the presence of humans.

Well, now a similar tragedy has come to Zimbabwe's southern neighbor. This time the lion's name is Skye. Skye was one of the most beloved lions in South Africa's famed Kruger National Park (KNP). He was not only a pride leader but he was a father to very young cubs. But none of that mattered to a big game hunter who paid around $75,000 to take his life.

Skye has been missing for about a week. The day he disappeared a hunter on the adjacent Umbabat Private Nature Reserve (UPNR) shot and killed a male lion that authorities believe to be Skye. If the lion had stayed within KNP he would have been safe. Animals in the national park are fully protected and have grown used to relative up-close contact with humans.

Unfortunately, hunting is allowed within UPNR. Previously, the two properties were separated by a fence, but because the environment was under stress, officials agreed to take it down so that animals would be able to feed in a far less concentrated area.

But now that the fence is gone, feckless hunters and safari guides can take advantage. In fact, according to some accounts, the hunter in question did just that. Similar to what happened to Cecil, Skye was lured out of his refuge and killed.

Authorities know who this lion killer is and they should act now to investigate and prosecute Skye's killer. Please sign the petition and demand justice for Skye.
"The Left wants to divide, disarm and CONQUER you. More than ISIS, the Taliban, Nazi Germany, China, North Korea and Marxist Russia combined, The Left is the single greatest enemy of Liberty and the American Way."
Old 06-21-2018, 12:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Anti hunting garbage. Even reading the screed, they donít have the balls to say it was poached. Lions are free to leave the preserves, and when they do, they can be legally shot.

Baiting predators is the way itís done in Africa, and thereís nothing underhanded about it.

Disclaimer, I have never been to Africa, but did some research when the Bambi freaks went nuts over Cecil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
My transvestite analogy stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXXX
Old 06-21-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
Anti hunting garbage. Even reading the screed, they don’t have the balls to say it was poached. Lions are free to leave the preserves, and when they do, they can be legally shot.

Baiting predators is the way it’s done in Africa, and there’s nothing underhanded about it.

Disclaimer, I have never been to Africa, but did some research when the Bambi freaks went nuts over Cecil.
No, I will not sign this petition. I trust the game wardens and wildlife biologists in Africa will do their job correctly. I think the biggest threat to lions are Maasai boys who are told it is a requirement to kill a lion with a spear to become a man. That along with the increase of farming in Africa and too many Sub-Saharan tribal people in Africa from overpopulating. Wild animals are losing much habitat to people there. Overpopulation of native people, not the lawful hunter's gun, is the single greatest weapon against wildlife. Civilization and agriculture has disrupted the natural lives, feeding, migration and breeding of African animals. Africa is not nearly as wild and virgin as she was 100 years ago. I've never been to Africa myself but I am familiar with safari and hunting writings as by O'Connor and Capstick as well as the studies of the !Kung bushmen from geography classes in school. The !Kung hunt giraffes with poison arrows and will follow the wounded animals for days.
"The Left wants to divide, disarm and CONQUER you. More than ISIS, the Taliban, Nazi Germany, China, North Korea and Marxist Russia combined, The Left is the single greatest enemy of Liberty and the American Way."

Last edited by DonaldBabbett; 06-21-2018 at 12:52 PM..
Old 08-01-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldBabbett View Post
No, I will not sign this petition. I trust the game wardens and wildlife biologists in Africa will do their job correctly. I think the biggest threat to lions are Maasai boys who are told it is a requirement to kill a lion with a spear to become a man. That along with the increase of farming in Africa and too many Sub-Saharan tribal people in Africa from overpopulating. Wild animals are losing much habitat to people there. Overpopulation of native people, not the lawful hunter's gun, is the single greatest weapon against wildlife. Civilization and agriculture has disrupted the natural lives, feeding, migration and breeding of African animals. Africa is not nearly as wild and virgin as she was 100 years ago. I've never been to Africa myself but I am familiar with safari and hunting writings as by O'Connor and Capstick as well as the studies of the !Kung bushmen from geography classes in school. The !Kung hunt giraffes with poison arrows and will follow the wounded animals for days.
I was under the impression the Maasai people no longer send each young man out to slay a lion by spear but now go out in larger groups to kill one lion so as not to damage the lion population.

I bought a Maasai lion spear in a thrift shop in Cody Wyoming of all places and wanted to find out what it actually was so I did some internet searching and that's some of what I found for what it's worth.

I also read that it had to be a female lion as they are the main hunters in the pride.

Hell of a way to prove ones manhood.
Old 08-01-2018, 5:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Red face