Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 08-07-2018, 7:41 AM

Default Bugging out - a thought problem

Here is a scecnario for those of you in urban/suburban areas. This post is from the greater Los Angeles basin.

Some sort of natural disaster has struck. Perhaps it is the big 'quake, the 8.0 monster. Utilities are out. Water and gas mains severed throughout the area. Electrical transmission lines are down. Many of the roads are heavily damaged; bridges and overpasses destroyed.

You have been mildly prepped, you have water and food for a few weeks, perhaps a month. However the stores are out and resupply is just not keeping up with demand. It does not matter how much money you have, there is no water left to purchase. Food? Very little getting in to feed the millions in LA/Orange County. So now the roving bands are moving about and with the intent to take everything possible. Law enforcement and National Guard are doing their best to preserve order but can not get the job done.

So, you have reached the decision to get out. HOW? To where? Unless you have a vehichle with 4wd you are limited to a pitiful few routes out of this hellhole.

What will you do?
Old 08-07-2018, 7:44 AM

steal a boat?
Old 08-07-2018, 7:50 AM

become a member of the roving bands?
Old 08-07-2018, 8:17 AM
Calguns Addict

If you are bugging out, you better have a place to bug out to.
Old 08-07-2018, 8:23 AM
Calguns Addict

If " law enforcement and the National Guard" are still out there doing anything useful you might be very careful about being seen with ANY long gun and so that concealable handguns ( that you trust and have practice with) in your bug-out bags or wherever might be a choice people should consider.

Yeah I know it stinks, but that rifle or shotgun you've gotten really good at shooting might get you killed if you're seen with carrying it around.

But to answer your question even the four wheel drive dirt roads and shortcuts will be jammed up with people trying to get away from any bad event that's lasted a while.

I've always thought along the lines that someone mentioned above... Maybe get a two person kayak and loaded up with fishing gear, the smallest water desalinator you can find, to make the sea water drinkable and supplies...

then learn to enjoy sushi that you make yourself without rice.

Of course that opens you up to Pirates but that's a subject for another thread.

Last edited by sealocan; 08-07-2018 at 8:27 AM..
Old 08-07-2018, 8:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You can hardly drive through there on a normal day. So you're not bugging anywhere IMO. Be ready to tough it out with your neighbors.
Old 08-07-2018, 8:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Plan on surviving for 30 days. By then, things will be on the mend or most of the people will be gone or dead. Then you can contend with whoever's left.
Old 08-07-2018, 8:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Just remember that when you attempt to bug Out those of us in Out are fully prepared to defend what is ours.

SERIOUSLY, Unless you have a pre established and supplied destination and a Helicopter to get you there you will not be welcome in Out.

You will be better off prepping enough to shelter in place for 30 days and aid can reach you.

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 08-07-2018, 9:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
Just remember that when you attempt to bug Out those of us in Out are fully prepared to defend what is ours.

SERIOUSLY, Unless you have a pre established and supplied destination and a Helicopter to get you there you will not be welcome in Out.

You will be better off prepping enough to shelter in place for 30 days and aid can reach you.
That's the crux of the problem. I used to have a bugout spot but he moved to Wyoming. If I bugged out, no one was gonna stop me from getting there. I'd wait until night and forcibly remove any roadblocks if needed. I can imagine many people dying in these sort of situations.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:00 AM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Nope. Nowhere to go. And for all of those outside LA forget about stopping the hoards. Trust me . You aren't going to mow down thousands of women and children seeing help.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

The greater LA area would be a mosh pit without the music IMO.
You'd be better off running to the Mex border and start trading for necessities. Cartels will buy or sell anything, so don't go empty handed.

Don't underestimate the abilities of us "Northern California Rednecks" to repel boarders.
Since the OP is talking about a BIG quake I will do all I can to help should that happen. Hopefully laws will still affect behaviors.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --

Last edited by FeuerFrei; 08-07-2018 at 11:00 AM..
Old 08-07-2018, 11:55 AM

For something like a 8mag earthquake I'm staying home or camping in the back yard. An earthquake is a local event. Unless you have a place ready to go and you have a bike to get there, stay. Roads may be gone, cars will be stuck, panic, stupid people will be out in force not the best time to travel. There will be water and food deliveries, not right away but in a few weeks for sure.

Now if economy tanks to 0, zombies escape from the labs and start infecting people, or LA gets nuked, then you run for the hills.

Be prepared.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL.BAR View Post
Nope. Nowhere to go. And for all of those outside LA forget about stopping the hoards. Trust me . You aren't going to mow down thousands of women and children seeing help.
thousands of women and children seeing help will never make it this far.

Urbanites will kill their own when the food runs out. (just look how they act on Black Friday or during a riot) By the time anyone gets to me they will have blood on their hands and the choice of them or mine will be easy.

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

A big Earthquake 8+ will rip California open especially from San Diego to the Bay Area, you could head into the desert towards Arizona and Nevada but the military will be staging there and also by sea. Best is to plan for 90 days hunkered down and wait it out, defending what you must and keeping a low profile.

Fire is a big problem, it was in 1906, my grandfather told stories about it, have a plan for fire, so your supplies don't go up in smoke.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 08-07-2018, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Have you been to this site yet? Everyone that lives in CA should be fully aware of what they need to do in the event of an earthquake.

https://www.ready.gov/earthquakes?gc...RoCkDsQAvD_BwE

"Bugging out" is a neckbeard term for evacuating. An 8.0 quake that devastates critical infrastructure will make evacuating, "bugging out" very difficult.

The #1 thing I would worry about is fire. After a major quake there is always some amount of fire. If the quake is catastrophic then an enormous firestorm could develop and wipe everything out. The government simply wont be able to respond to everything and will most likely prioritize evacuating as many people as possible and pulling them out of the rubble. Watermains will probably be so damaged that the fire dept wont be able to fight the fires even if they wanted to. Not to mention how will firefighters move if the bridges, roads, and firehouses are severely damaged? How many firefighters will even show up?

If there are evacuation routes they will be controlled by the government most likely National Guard and they are going to take away any firearms or weapons you possess. There will probably be martial law and curfew. You might have to try and make it out on foot. Also any kind of shelter or refugee camp is going to confiscate weapons as well.

You will be extremely lucky if you make it out alive with a single strand of clothing on your back. If you do survive the initial earthquake you still have to survive the inevitable firestorm and then the looters and mobs, after that you still have to deal with thirst and starvation. I suggest not living anywhere near a big city like LA or the SF Bay Area.

Preparing for an earthquake is the same as it has always been, plan an evacuation route to friends or family outside of town, have important personal documents and medications packed up and ready to go and at least a weeks worth of water. Nothing really new here. Bonus points if you have an emergency radio, fire extinguisher, generator and flashlight with extra batteries.

If I ever have to evacuate with no idea of when I'll be back, I'll try to dig as deep a hole as I have time for and bury anything of value such as firearms, ammo, etc. Stuff that I wont be able to take with me but dont want to get destroyed in a fire or looted.
Disclaimer: The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.

Last edited by lightcav; 08-07-2018 at 1:24 PM..
Old 08-07-2018, 1:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ69 View Post
If you are bugging out, you better have a place to bug out to.

I'm headin' to KAN-tuck-eee!
Old 08-07-2018, 4:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalman View Post
Here is a scecnario for those of you in urban/suburban areas. This post is from the greater Los Angeles basin.

Some sort of natural disaster has struck. Perhaps it is the big 'quake, the 8.0 monster. Utilities are out. Water and gas mains severed throughout the area. Electrical transmission lines are down. Many of the roads are heavily damaged; bridges and overpasses destroyed.

You have been mildly prepped, you have water and food for a few weeks, perhaps a month. However the stores are out and resupply is just not keeping up with demand. It does not matter how much money you have, there is no water left to purchase. Food? Very little getting in to feed the millions in LA/Orange County. So now the roving bands are moving about and with the intent to take everything possible. Law enforcement and National Guard are doing their best to preserve order but can not get the job done.

So, you have reached the decision to get out. HOW? To where? Unless you have a vehichle with 4wd you are limited to a pitiful few routes out of this hellhole.

What will you do?
Check calguns on my mobile phone with the roaming hoards?
Old 08-07-2018, 4:46 PM

Quote:

What will you do?
Kick myself for not prepping adequately. Suffer and die along with the rest of the population.

Doesn't really matter that it's LA or some other big city. Even if you're in a small city or town, if you only have 30 days of food prepared and a gigantic SHTF happens, you're gonna starve after 30 days. There's not enough deer in the woods for you to hunt and eat when there's thousands of other people all trying to eat the same deer. And you can't grow food in 30 days, agriculture doesn't work like that.
Old 08-07-2018, 5:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO hunter View Post
Kick myself for not prepping adequately. Suffer and die along with the rest of the population.

Doesn't really matter that it's LA or some other big city. Even if you're in a small city or town, if you only have 30 days of food prepared and a gigantic SHTF happens, you're gonna starve after 30 days. There's not enough deer in the woods for you to hunt and eat when there's thousands of other people all trying to eat the same deer. And you can't grow food in 30 days, agriculture doesn't work like that.
Yeah, pretty much this.

The people that MIGHT survive are the ones that are self-sufficient and ALREADY living off the land in an isolated location.

Everyone else is gonna die. Some sooner than others.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you can't confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

Old 08-07-2018, 5:12 PM

Getting out of town will be hard no matter what you drive unless its a dirtbike or motorcycle.Those lonely in the hills roads or forest that are narrow will have some city mall shopper stuck in the range rover because they never been off road,etc.

Like mentioned look when a signal light goes out the back up it creates?or when certain roads are closed the back ups and traffci jams it puts elsewhere.
Old 08-07-2018, 6:08 PM

Getting out to where? Try going up to the mountains with what you can carry (add a 15lb weight to simulate rifle and ammo), and see how you do for a few days. Now think about doing that with 10,000-300,000 other people all trying to scratch a living from the same hills... it simply isn't going to happen.
You are far better off trying to stock and fortify your own place or somewhere very close by. If you can survive 3 months there a lot will have sorted itself out off the reservation.
Old 08-07-2018, 6:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsk9 View Post
Getting out to where? Try going up to the mountains with what you can carry (add a 15lb weight to simulate rifle and ammo), and see how you do for a few days. Now think about doing that with 10,000-300,000 other people all trying to scratch a living from the same hills... it simply isn't going to happen.
You are far better off trying to stock and fortify your own place or somewhere very close by. If you can survive 3 months there a lot will have sorted itself out off the reservation.
Sheltering in place or "bugging in" as the neckbeards call it, might not be viable if a big fire sweeps through burning everything in its path. Which is highly likely in a drought prone tinder box state like CA. Out of control fires are pretty much inevitable if there is a massive earthquake or the government is overwhelmed in some way be it financial insolvency, natural disaster, uprising or any combination of shtf scenarios.
Disclaimer: The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.
Old 08-07-2018, 6:33 PM

IMO You stated you had about a month's supply of food and water. If you have one you can have three months supply. If a fire wipes out your place then join the masses lining up for FEMA camps. People were still living in FEMA trailers in New Orleans as of 2015, and Hurricane Katrina was in 2005. You are kidding yourself if you think you're going anywhere even in a 4x4. You are kidding yourself if you think that you can carry enough to sustain yourself (and family) for very long. If you're truly that worried then move somewhere that allows you be more self sufficient, or buy a pack mule.

Last edited by chsk9; 08-07-2018 at 8:09 PM..
Old 08-07-2018, 11:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Bug in. gather family and friends near you. Learn to work together, who you can trust.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:07 AM

San Andreas fault: Locked, Loaded & Ready to Roll!:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...504-story.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzYU...ature=youtu.be

The San Andreas fault is about to crack - here's what will happen when it does:

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/Opinion...6741462974519/

Earthquake fault runs through Rodeo Drive and Beverly Hills' shopping district, California geologists say!:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...htmlstory.html

But San Andreas pales in comparison to the Cascadia Subduction Zone quake which is long overdue too and will devastate the Pacific Northwest coast and could set off the northern San Andreas as well:

The Really Big One:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...really-big-one

Scientists predict a 9.2 quake for the Cascadia Subduction Zone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jB6G08Qgmg

And the 100 foot fissure that recently opened up by the Yellowstone supervolcano as well:

Dangerous 100 foot fissure opens by Yellowstone supervolcano
:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUi5XWWPF8E

It’s all about friction – new theory explains Yellowstone supervolcano’s power:

https://www.rt.com/usa/434381-yellow...ion-explosion/
Quote:

What will you do?

Last edited by JusticeQuest; 08-08-2018 at 10:52 PM..
Old 08-08-2018, 12:32 AM

The Prepared Mind: Bug Out or Bunker In:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d94PDSaRYRg

Quote:

Old 08-08-2018, 12:41 AM

The Prepared Mind: 'Head for the Hills!':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_5DRZeN6XQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsk9 View Post

Last edited by JusticeQuest; 08-08-2018 at 12:43 AM..
Old 08-08-2018, 3:33 PM

With all the broken gas pipes there will be fire all over LA and surrounding! I remember at least one fire that resulted from a broken gas pipe in the middle of the street after the Northridge quake hit and San Andreas is expected to be 44 times more powerful than Northridge was! It will be like the 'Escape from New York' movie but in LA with the thousands of armed gang members that we have here as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcav View Post
Have you been to this site yet? Everyone that lives in CA should be fully aware of what they need to do in the event of an earthquake.

https://www.ready.gov/earthquakes?gc...RoCkDsQAvD_BwE

"Bugging out" is a neckbeard term for evacuating. An 8.0 quake that devastates critical infrastructure will make evacuating, "bugging out" very difficult.

The #1 thing I would worry about is fire. After a major quake there is always some amount of fire. If the quake is catastrophic then an enormous firestorm could develop and wipe everything out. The government simply wont be able to respond to everything and will most likely prioritize evacuating as many people as possible and pulling them out of the rubble. Watermains will probably be so damaged that the fire dept wont be able to fight the fires even if they wanted to. Not to mention how will firefighters move if the bridges, roads, and firehouses are severely damaged? How many firefighters will even show up?

If there are evacuation routes they will be controlled by the government most likely National Guard and they are going to take away any firearms or weapons you possess. There will probably be martial law and curfew. You might have to try and make it out on foot. Also any kind of shelter or refugee camp is going to confiscate weapons as well.

You will be extremely lucky if you make it out alive with a single strand of clothing on your back. If you do survive the initial earthquake you still have to survive the inevitable firestorm and then the looters and mobs, after that you still have to deal with thirst and starvation. I suggest not living anywhere near a big city like LA or the SF Bay Area.

Preparing for an earthquake is the same as it has always been, plan an evacuation route to friends or family outside of town, have important personal documents and medications packed up and ready to go and at least a weeks worth of water. Nothing really new here. Bonus points if you have an emergency radio, fire extinguisher, generator and flashlight with extra batteries.

If I ever have to evacuate with no idea of when I'll be back, I'll try to dig as deep a hole as I have time for and bury anything of value such as firearms, ammo, etc. Stuff that I wont be able to take with me but dont want to get destroyed in a fire or looted.
Old 08-08-2018, 4:15 PM

Doomsday Prep for the Super-Rich:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...the-super-rich

Listen to what was mentioned about the super-rich not trusting their security forces in the following Keiser Report broadcast:

Keiser Report: The Apocalypse is Coming?
:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmy0N6kP3Qk

David Stockman: Coming Financial Armageddon 2018:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0mbaVCIkRg

Gold prices to jump after US loses trade war & its debt bubble blows – Peter Schiff to RT:

https://www.rt.com/business/435381-g...-peter-schiff/

Bankrupt America: Bankruptcy Soars As The Country Grapples With An Unprecedented Debt Problem:

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/a...d-debt-problem

‎10 financial experts predict when coming financial collapse will happen from 2019 to 2020:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znh6jwniQy4

Last edited by JusticeQuest; 08-10-2018 at 12:19 AM..
Old 08-08-2018, 4:49 PM

If you're not prepared for an earthquake then you're definitely not prepared to "bug out".
Old 08-08-2018, 8:04 PM
CGSSA Leader

I think you all are overestimating the aftermath of even a large earthquake...

Worst-case estimates are for ~7% of structures to be unusable afterward, and call it 350K people displaced. That's no picnic but it's not Armageddon either. You're going to see curfews, pockets of martial law, train and shiploads of relief supplies, and people in tent cities for probably up to two years. You're not going to see the zombie apocalypse.

Lots of people are going to be "bugging out" in E+2 to 6 weeks, as soon as they've identified family outside the area or some other place to take long-term shelter. You'll have plenty of opportunity to do so. Your key decision is not whether to bounce immediately or dig in, but rather some time afterward whether you have enough assets to protect to make it worth waiting out the reconstruction. 90+% will stay.

Having said all that, keep 30 days worth of preps minimum. Water is the big one. Don't forget to lay in prescription drugs if you need them, and make a portable electronic copy of ALL documents. You may be in the unlucky 7% who cannot return to your home.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 08-08-2018, 9:47 PM

Dependent on the severity of the disaster, i could see LEO bailing out (aka Louisiana flood disaster) keep in mind they have family too, and human nature typically prioritizes family 1st.
National guard "might" get a bit trigger happy, and the roving bands can really raise muck.
I 4 one doubt it would ever get that bad, but since humans can only live for 3 days w/o water, the animal instinct can and will take over.
Old 08-09-2018, 5:34 AM

I had a "discussion" about this problem on another forum with someone who I suspect was a troll. I pointed out that every major, and in fact, every road into and out of the Los Angeles and Inland empire area crossed a major fault, and in the event of a big earthquake all the roads would become unusable. His reply was that would never happen, as roads and overpasses were built to take that kind of damage.
Plan for the worst, and hope for the best. I am in agreement with others here. If a big one hits, your best bet is to hunker down for at least a while.
Old 08-09-2018, 8:15 AM
Vendor/Retailer

A number of these posts seem to assume a zombie apocalypse where a major disaster will affect the entire world. The OP was not talking about a TEOTWAWKI event. If the big earthquake hits, whoever survives has the potential to head east to a place that wasn't affected and check into a hotel. The question is how to get there.
Old 08-09-2018, 8:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Kraft View Post
A number of these posts seem to assume a zombie apocalypse where a major disaster will affect the entire world. The OP was not talking about a TEOTWAWKI event. If the big earthquake hits, whoever survives has the potential to head east to a place that wasn't affected and check into a hotel. The question is how to get there.
I wonder exactly how far "East" you would need to go to find enough hotel rooms to house all of LA county.

A quake big enough to bring down the freeway overpasses and stop food flowing into LA will quickly feel like a zombie apocalypse. How long do you think your neighbors will go hungry before they decide to take your food? Or eat you?

Last edited by 71MUSTY; 08-09-2018 at 8:20 AM..
Old 08-09-2018, 8:54 AM

I recently flew in to SNA where I happened to get a window seat. We were rerouted south and entered the OC above San Clemente and followed the I5 North to the airport. The density of the people and structures is not fathomable. There is no way anyone is evacuating anywhere. Ocean on one side and the Mountains on the other with chaos in between.
Old 08-09-2018, 9:18 AM

Quote:
I wonder exactly how far "East" you would need to go to find enough hotel rooms to house all of LA county.

A quake big enough to bring down the freeway overpasses and stop food flowing into LA will quickly feel like a zombie apocalypse. How long do you think your neighbors will go hungry before they decide to take your food? Or eat you?
In 94 overpasses came down, we just camped in the front yard one day and after clean up moved back inside. No zombie feeling there, just had to get used to daily aftershocks
Old 08-09-2018, 9:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi762 View Post
In 94 overpasses came down, we just camped in the front yard one day and after clean up moved back inside. No zombie feeling there, just had to get used to daily aftershocks
Isnt "the big one" supposed to be, umm, "really big"? At least exponentially bigger than '89 or '94. Its highly likely there will be significantly more damage that will hobble efforts by first responders to put out any large fires that get going. If there is one thing Californians should fear more than a big earthquake, its a big fire. Think of broken gas mains, downed power lines, broken water mains, crazy cholos starting fires.

Sure, a 6.7 or 6.9 like the Northridge and Loma Prieta quakes, no problemo, childs play. The "big one" is supposed to be an 8.0 god forbid 9.0. You arent going to be laughing that off BBQing in your front yard. If a big fire goes unchecked because everyone is just trying to evacuate and dig out of the rubble, you are going to be the one being BBQ'd.

The 1906 quake was 7.9. 80% of SF was destroyed. Sure, the buildings and infrastructure were different back then. But the fire is what really did a lot of the damage, 90% of the damage was from the fire. How are first responders going to evacuate, rescue people and fight any massive fires all at the same time when critical infastructure has been destroyed?

5.0, 6.0 heck even 7.0 are not going to cause a zombie apocalypse. But an 8.0 is a completely different animal. And a 9.0, well, you probably wont survive it anyway so thinking about what to do after that might not even be practical.

Last edited by lightcav; 08-09-2018 at 10:01 AM..
Old 08-09-2018, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

Observations;
Fires are burning huge swaths of CA land right now. Notice the smokey air we are breathing and we're discussing EQ grande.
Cities are full of close packed combustible fuels of every kind. Our govt can't even put out forrest fires. Think about that when you're talking "somebody will come to help" in a disaster. Unknown who, when, what type & where first. State could triage your city and black tag it. Unrecoverable, not enough resources available. Sorry.
I recommend people adjust their plans to cover as many real world emergencies as possible.
The only thing you can count on in a disaster is that people will die.

Sent using a long string and 2 Dixie cups
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 08-09-2018, 12:22 PM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcav View Post
Isnt "the big one" supposed to be, umm, "really big"? At least exponentially bigger than '89 or '94. Its highly likely there will be significantly more damage that will hobble efforts by first responders to put out any large fires that get going. If there is one thing Californians should fear more than a big earthquake, its a big fire. Think of broken gas mains, downed power lines, broken water mains, crazy cholos starting fires.

Sure, a 6.7 or 6.9 like the Northridge and Loma Prieta quakes, no problemo, childs play. The "big one" is supposed to be an 8.0 god forbid 9.0. You arent going to be laughing that off BBQing in your front yard. If a big fire goes unchecked because everyone is just trying to evacuate and dig out of the rubble, you are going to be the one being BBQ'd.

The 1906 quake was 7.9. 80% of SF was destroyed. Sure, the buildings and infrastructure were different back then. But the fire is what really did a lot of the damage, 90% of the damage was from the fire. How are first responders going to evacuate, rescue people and fight any massive fires all at the same time when critical infastructure has been destroyed?

5.0, 6.0 heck even 7.0 are not going to cause a zombie apocalypse. But an 8.0 is a completely different animal. And a 9.0, well, you probably wont survive it anyway so thinking about what to do after that might not even be practical.
Don't let the numbers make you fatalistic.

First of all, there are no faults in SoCal large enough to support a 9.0 earthquake. About a low 8.0 is the maximum.

Second, local shaking intensity can only get so high. As a result, the practical difference between an 8.2 and a 6.5 is the duration of shaking and the affected area. Christchurch, NZ, suffered a particularly deadly earthquake that was only a 6.3, but it happened to be extremely shallow and in a terribly unlucky place -- this earthquake killed 185 people, while the 7.1 earthquake that preceded it by two years killed no one.

Third, fighting fires is completely different between urban and forest environments. For starters, there are far more people in the city and access already exists. Quite a different scenario from not being able to spot the fire and having to ship resources to it from hundreds of miles away.

Now let's talk about San Francisco 1906. Not analogous to what we have today. The fires started due to gas line ruptures but were exacerbated by truly idiotic firefighting practices that literally blew embers all over the city. Hey, it was 1906, they had no experience and no proper equipment, it happens... but we're a little smarter. Even so the total scale of the fire was under 500 city blocks. You could chop that out any LA suburb and never miss it.

Even so, the 1906 earthquake and fire was unusually deadly, still the deadliest disaster in California history, killing an estimated 0.7% of the population... Yep under one percent. I like those odds.

I guess another assumption that needs to be clarified is whether, after the disaster, the LA area would be restored, or whether the rest of the world would abandon it to its fate. Ha! The result would be the greatest real estate buying opportunity of the century. OF COURSE it'll be rebuilt.

It's also quite typical of LA folks to think the world revolves around them, but it isn't so. This is not the only metropolis threatened by a large earthquake, and many have been hit. There's Tohoku (2011) and Kobe (1995), Santiago (2010), Taiwan (1999) -- none of them a picnic, but all of them quite survivable. About the upper bound of bad outcomes would be modeled by Sichuan (2008), but our building codes are better, infrastructure is better, response is better in every way. That one exceeded the predicted upper limit for an LA earthquake in terms of displaced persons by a full order of magnitude.

And yet, no zombie uprisings.

So the bottom line is that even a record California earthquake will not mean the end of Southern California. There may be districts or suburbs where the devastation is extreme, and woe to those who happen to live there... but overall, it's highly survivable. Especially if you take some basic precautions.

The situation is much worse for Seattle, for what it's worth.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.

Last edited by as_rocketman; 08-09-2018 at 12:24 PM..