Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 07-16-2018, 6:09 PM

Default Aftermarket Shotgun Magazine Followers

Have any of you spent the extra cash to " upgrade " your stock magazine followers for " increased " reliability???

I've seen several on you tube. The metal followers (aluminum) seems the most expensive at around $21.00, followed by the S&J at $12.00 to $14.00 a pop.

Those from Wilsons (Scattergun Technologies) seems the least expensive at around $6.99.

Are these worth investing on or are these nothing but gimmicks meant to pry cash from the unwitting?

Your thoughts, please.
Old 07-16-2018, 7:08 PM

IMHO it is most likely a gimmick of you're running a stock tube. I have never had a problem with stock tubes however with mag extensions added on I have found the follower and new springs with the kits are a must. My experience is limited to the Mossberg 590 & 590A1 with extensions and the 500 is of coure stock tubes. Other than that my opinion is even more than less than unhelpful I suppose. The kits I run are the SJ Hardware kits. <---I can't speak highly enough of them.
Old 07-16-2018, 7:47 PM
Gravity Sucks
CGN Contributor

I’ve had the GG&G red follower in my 870P and it made it much easier for me to check for empty magazine just by touch. It is also said to help with reliability but I think that’s just a sales gimmick.

Short of a broken extractor being shoved into the mag tube which then causes problems, not much can go wrong. If that happens, the mag follower is least of your worries.

RIP SGT Mark Allen RLTW! I love you brother. ‘Til Valhall’...
Old 07-17-2018, 7:43 AM

I use them for 3 reasons, color (visual recognition, I like the orange ones), feel (tactile recognition), they’re precision cut and truly round (lessens the chance of a jam in the magazine tube).

I use the SBE followers JD sells on his website in all my tactically improved shotguns, https://tacticalgunsling.com/t/shotg...extension-kits

Hope that helps,
Mac

http://i68.tinypic.com/a45y0h.jpg
Old 07-17-2018, 8:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I have seen a stock high visibility mag stop get soft.... the shooter had used some solvent that made the plastic mushy...

When the gun was left loaded, the plug deformed and blocked the spring from pushing shells back out of the tube.....

-

If your stock on has not rusted, they seem to work fine.... If your gun is a fighting gun/ self defense gun, I would not ever have a plastic version

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson

- If the Democrats thought for one seconds that Illegals were voting republican, You'd see the Border Wall from Space! - Abe Lincoln
Old 07-17-2018, 10:21 AM

When I had an 870 I had the Vang Comp follower with a Wolf spring. Personally I really liked the fit and function of that combination. Seemed to slide smoother, the edges are designed to catch debris that accumulate in the tube, and you can tell by feel whether you still have shells in the magazine.

Was there anything wrong with the factory set up? Yes and no. I found the stock spring to be pretty weak. I don't really trust Remington's plastic (or metal) so for longevity with the heavier spring I bought the follower. The follower was also heavier and required the new spring anyways. Probably would have been just fine had I left it, but I was much happier with the more positive feeding.

To me a pump shotgun is supposed to be bomb proof so little cheap components that jeopardize that are better off being replaced with more durable ones. $20 is nothing in the gun world.

Last edited by Thanatos2203; 07-17-2018 at 10:24 AM..
Old 07-17-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos2203 View Post

Was there anything wrong with the factory set up? Yes and no. I found the stock spring to be pretty weak..............

To me a pump shotgun is supposed to be bomb proof so little cheap components that jeopardize that are better off being replaced with more durable ones. $20 is nothing in the gun world.
I bought a Remington 870 Field Security Combo last year for a good price ($409.00 out the door, inclusive of tax!). More and more, I find that I really don't need the long barrel as I don't hunt. The piece is deployed more for home security than anything else, the 18.5 inch barrel always attached.

I agree with what you said....." a pump shotgun is supposed to be bomb proof "......more so when used for home/personal protection.

I do find the stock orange magazine follower quite flimsy for my liking and wanted to upgrade it for sometime. I was just surprised at some of the prices of the aftermarket followers. Maybe I'll start off with the Wilson brand.....they are the cheapest.........so am I, I like 'em cheap.
Old 07-17-2018, 3:01 PM

S&j with the tail in my 870 and 930. It didnt work in my M4
Old 07-17-2018, 6:15 PM

No problems with the factory plastic follower in my 30+ year old wingmaster.
Old 07-17-2018, 7:04 PM

Really only needed if your loading twos or quads. The reduced friction should help there. Even then it's not a game changer.
Old 07-18-2018, 7:44 AM
Calguns Addict

I've upgraded my follower on my Benelli m4 but only to stay in compliance with 922R requirements (a requirement when making modifications to imported shotguns). Otherwise I probably wouldn't ever mess with the follower...unless I just wanted one that was higher visibility to better tell when the magazine is empty.

Fighter Pilot
Old 07-18-2018, 6:19 PM

Oopppps, I did it......money down the drain..... I just ordered from S&J their " Type 3 " follower, the green colored one. Cost me a hefty $22.00 total.