Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:27 AM

Question Barrel length vs gauge.

Is there any logical reason for field 12 ga. guns to be offered only in 28" barrels by many gun makers while the similar model might only come with a 26" barrel in 20 ga.?

Why does a 20 need a shorter barrel in the field?
"The Left wants to divide, disarm and CONQUER you. More than ISIS, the Taliban, Nazi Germany, China, North Korea and Marxist Russia combined, The Left is the single greatest enemy of Liberty and the American Way."
Old 07-16-2018, 5:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Based on my understanding (and the link below seems to confirm it), on a average 12 gauge load, after traveling 28 inches of barrel length, the velocity of the projectile will not increase (the powder is all used up).

For a 20 gauge, that length shortens to 26" for maximum projectile velocity

Link: https://www.outdoorlife.com/how-to-c...-barrel-length

Ultimately, pick the barrel length that swings and feels the best for you.
Old 07-16-2018, 8:40 AM

The shorter barrels make for a quicker swing in the field and at skeet. Some like the longer trap guns.

In spite of his lack of honesty, morals, ethics, and class, Donald was the better candidate at the time.

Only witches fear witch hunts, cast insults and dismiss real news reporting.

Yes, the FBI investigates crimes and the guilty go to jail. Thank goodness.
Old 07-16-2018, 9:15 AM

For hunting I like my 26”. For sporting clays I like my 30”. I’ve shoot 34” on trap with great success. It’s all about the gun swing to me and not the sight picture like some say for them.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:45 AM

28" Bbl. is an efficient compromise... like a 4" service pistol.

Long/short enough... for everything, and great for most things.

Both my 12 and 20 Ga. Wingmasters sport 2-3/4" 28" MOD Bbls, and have shot everything for decades with them. No complaints or reason to change.

Did add an 18" CYL Mossberg 870 Bbl. for the 12 Ga. - for social work.

GR

(I think, therefore I am armed.)

-- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman --
Old 07-16-2018, 10:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Size Matters...
Old 07-16-2018, 11:16 AM

Shotgun barrel length changes with the tides as to what is best for whatever.

Used to be, Skeet guns all had 26" bbls. My newer Browning Citori .410 has 32" bbls. Most guys buying O/U Shotguns for clays are going to 32" bbls. My Browning Citori XT has 30" bbls. Wish I'd gotten 32's. I shoot skeet with that gun as well and the longer barrels seem to swing nicer. Can't tell by my scores.

Most field guns have 28" bbls as that is considered to be the best compromise. Used to be Upland Guns with mod and full barrels were 28" and guns with IC and Mod barrels were 26". Now everything has Removable Choke Tubes so that is no longer a consideration.

Gauge has nothing to do with it. Now it's all personal preference.

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com
Old 07-16-2018, 7:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
I have shotguns in every gauge - break-open and pumps; the majority are 28" (including a 4 gauge skeet set) with my trap guns ranging from 30" to 34". IMO, barrel length has zero practical effect on velocity and everything to do with balance. I'm not even convinced of value of these long trap barrels.
I was gonna say balance. Lighter frame on 20's. Barrels lighter too, but not proportionally. A field (particularly one well suited for upland hunting) gun typically balances between the hands while a trap gun can be forward weight biased as it doesn't move much and can help keep the gun moving. Higher end clay guns can get away with longer barrels while maintaining a "neutral" balance since they can be of lighter construction (stronger steel), but cost more than most anyone would pay for a field gun.

#Blackolivesmatter

Last edited by JagerDog; 07-16-2018 at 7:45 PM..
Old 07-17-2018, 11:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Barrel length is determined by how far you will be shooting.
In skeet you don't need much of a barrel.
For jump shooting quail and pheasants you need more length because you get multiple shots.
For ducks and geese you need even more length because ducks are shot at farther distances.
Trap is shot at longer distances than skeet hence the longer barrels.
20 gauges use less length because 45 yard shots on geese with 7/8 ounce just isn't as practical as a guy using 3-1/2 12 gauge loads.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 07-18-2018, 1:43 AM

I shoot everything better with a 26” barrel.
Old 07-18-2018, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandimal View Post
28" Bbl. is an efficient compromise... like a 4" service pistol.

Long/short enough... for everything, and great for most things.

Both my 12 and 20 Ga. Wingmasters sport 2-3/4" 28" MOD Bbls, and have shot everything for decades with them. No complaints or reason to change.

Did add an 18" CYL Mossberg 870 Bbl. for the 12 Ga. - for social work.

GR
Pretty much agree with this.^^^
Old 07-18-2018, 7:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldBabbett View Post
...Why does a 20 need a shorter barrel in the field?
I'm guessing guys that buy 20g guns are looking for a lighter gun and shorter barrels make the gun a bit lighter.
Old 07-19-2018, 6:11 AM

Using the right tool for the job, its pretty much all personal preference. The majority of the time, your pointing a shotgun vs aiming. What swings & points better for you & your intended purpose? Try pointing at something with your arm halfway vs fully extended.

My pumps & autos are 28s. My O/U has 32s. I held a 20ga O/U recently, and the 28s felt perfect.
Old 07-19-2018, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrendo Revolver View Post
I shoot everything better with a 26 barrel.
The new model Benelli Nova field 20 pump guns only come in 26 and 24 inch barrels.

I would only buy the 26" in the pump 20. This would be used for doves as well as grouse, pheasant and quail. Doves and quail zoom a mile a minute so the snappiness of the shorter barrel might make sense here.

However, one can get a Beretta Silver Pigeon I over/under 20 ga. in 26, 28 and 30 inch barrels.

I probably go for the Beretta 26" still for extra snap on fast birds. Skeet barrels are shorter due to fast targets at close range.

Sometimes our barrel length selections are limited as to what the gun makers offer in certain models and gauges.
"The Left wants to divide, disarm and CONQUER you. More than ISIS, the Taliban, Nazi Germany, China, North Korea and Marxist Russia combined, The Left is the single greatest enemy of Liberty and the American Way."
Old 07-19-2018, 8:21 AM
Calguns Addict

I think 20's come with shorter barrels simply because the majority of users are kids and smaller adults. To keep the weight light and the balance correct, they use shorter barrels.

My big complaint is the dearth of 20 ga aftermarket longer barrels for most makes.

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue! - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 07-19-2018, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldBabbett
Doves and quail zoom a mile a minute so the snappiness of the shorter barrel might make sense here.
You’re showing your ignorance again. Two totally different styles of shooting.
Old 07-19-2018, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrendo Revolver View Post
You’re showing your ignorance again. Two totally different styles of shooting.
I don't know. I am just guessing. I never claimed to be a big know-it-all.

If you have a more logical reason for the Benelli Nova 20 ga. pump's being offered in a barrel length no longer than 26" by the factory in Italy then I would like to hear it, please.

Even more mysterious, who needs a shotgun w/ a 24" barrel in a sporting setting?

That is why I posted this thread to begin with. I was asking. I don't know myself.

I am smart enough to know that doves can fly 45 to 60 mph by having read a book or two.

Does a Benelli Nova 20-gauge w/ 26" barrel not make sense for mourning or Eurasian doves at a dove stand? Is it totally useless for walk-up pheasant hunts with a dog? Does it flunk totally when put to the test in any quail scenario? Why does Benelli Nova interest me? European craftsmanship, an Italian work of art, at Mossberg cheap prices and the rave reviews it enjoys over YouTube plus renowned pump reliability. Those guns look tough as nails.

Last edited by DonaldBabbett; 07-19-2018 at 9:58 AM..
Old 07-19-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
Shotgun barrel length changes with the tides as to what is best for whatever.

Used to be, Skeet guns all had 26" bbls. My newer Browning Citori .410 has 32" bbls. Most guys buying O/U Shotguns for clays are going to 32" bbls. My Browning Citori XT has 30" bbls. Wish I'd gotten 32's. I shoot skeet with that gun as well and the longer barrels seem to swing nicer. Can't tell by my scores.

Most field guns have 28" bbls as that is considered to be the best compromise. Used to be Upland Guns with mod and full barrels were 28" and guns with IC and Mod barrels were 26". Now everything has Removable Choke Tubes so that is no longer a consideration.

Gauge has nothing to do with it. Now it's all personal preference.

Randy
If it's a Benelli Nova then GAUGE does have something to do with it because in a 20 gauge Nova, 26 inches is long as you will get out of the box, son.

You want a 28" Nova?.... then you will have to step up to a 12 ga.

I personally prefer a 20 so my shoulder doesn't get bruised at a dove stand. But if you want a 28" Nova 20 ga. then you are SOL.

If nobody believes me please see the Benelli site for details.

You will have to consult a custom gunsmith if you want a LONGER Nova 20. But it's probably not worth the money and trouble on a gun so cheap.

People, Benelli is the new big player in scatterguns. You have to think outside the Big Green and Yellow Box from Ilion, New York.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:57 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

OP and his new 200 Gauge

Old 07-19-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldBabbett View Post
If it's a Benelli Nova then GAUGE does have something to do with it because in a 20 gauge Nova, 26 inches is long as you will get out of the box, son.

You want a 28" Nova?.... then you will have to step up to a 12 ga.

I personally prefer a 20 so my shoulder doesn't get bruised at a dove stand. But if you want a 28" Nova 20 ga. then you are SOL.

If nobody believes me please see the Benelli site for details.

You will have to consult a custom gunsmith if you want a LONGER Nova 20. But it's probably not worth the money and trouble on a gun so cheap.

People, Benelli is the new big player in scatterguns. You have to think outside the Big Green and Yellow Box from Ilion, New York.
I'm sorry boy, but in that case it was Benelli's Corporate Preference not your's. Gauge has nothing to do with barrel length they could easily make a 28" bbl 20 ga if they wanted. My 20 ga Citori had 28" M/F barrels.

My A5 had IC, M, and F barrels that are 26, 28". I sold the Full Choked barrel 20 years ago cuz I don't shoot ducks..

My friends new Perrazzi is a 3 barrel set with 20,28, 410 barrels. All are 32"

He paid $53,000 for it and had to wait 2 years to get it. He ordered it that way. He also got two sets of triggers, single and a double for hunting. It's even got his initials inlaid in gold on the receiver. He's not married so he can buy this type of stuff. He also shoots it 2-3 days a week.

Benelli takes custom orders as well. you can get anything you want if you are willing to pay for it. Catalogs are for people who don't know sales reps.

Did you know that,,, boy?

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com
Old 07-19-2018, 1:10 PM

Wouldn't that be like a 00000 gauge?

The smaller the number the bigger the gauge; 20g is bigger than 28, 16g is bigger than 20, 10g is bigger than 12...

How far do they go past 0000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
OP and his new 200 Gauge

Old 07-19-2018, 1:14 PM

Found reference for gauge

An n-gauge diameter means that a ball of lead (density 11.34 g/cm3 or 0.4097 lb/in3) with that diameter has a mass equal to 1/n part of the mass of the international avoirdupois pound (approx. 454 grams), that is, that n such lead balls could be cast from a pound weight of lead. Therefore, an n-gauge shotgun or n-bore rifle has a bore diameter (in inches) of approximately

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauge_(firearms)