Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 07-16-2018, 7:02 PM

Default Mossberg 930, legal to enlarge loading port?

This might sound funny BUT my concern is with the location of the factory engraving of the:
-manufacture
-state
-country
-model

Those engravings are right where people commonly file away to make loading easier/faster/more reliable.

NOTE, the actual numeric serial number is on the side of the receiver out of the way.

So, even though this is super common modification, I'm wondering if it is legal to remove some of those engravings if any because I at some point will want to do this "loading port mod" to mine.

In the very least, the model # will have to go.
Old 07-16-2018, 7:48 PM
Gravity Sucks
CGN Contributor

Never a good idea to remove factory engravings. You’ll be asking for trouble. Leave it alone.

RIP SGT Mark Allen RLTW! I love you brother. ‘Til Valhall’...
Old 07-16-2018, 8:24 PM
Veteran Member

I wonder if you have it rengraved elsewhere on the receiver is it ok?
Old 07-17-2018, 8:35 AM

Interesting question. My initial thought is who cares, as in - what if I decided to have the whole firearm custom engraved. My further thought is that if I was an LEO or LEO agency, I think i'd be most concerned with the serial number, because that would call up the make model and owner for ID purposes.

If I was searching for something, i don't think I wouldn't be able to identify a gun if it had certain Manuf. data removed. I mean I'd still be able to say it was a Mossberg semi-auto 12ga, with serial number XXX-XXXX registered to John Doe, right?

Would a criminal case be hindered by the fact that I can't show that the model is a 930? I mean, couldn't the prosecution call a Mossberg factory tech to testify that this was in fact a Mossberg 930, if needed?

Also, wouldn't there be a question of intent? I don't know if anyone would be able to prove that the intent was to deface for the purpose of making the gun unidentifiable, if the modification can clearly be presented as a performance modification..
Old 07-17-2018, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Might be a better question in the general guns forum. More people dealing with these kinds of issues with different builds.
Old 07-17-2018, 9:57 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan in SD View Post
This might sound funny BUT my concern is with the location of the factory engraving of the:
-manufacture
-state
-country
-model

Those engravings are right where people commonly file away to make loading easier/faster/more reliable.

NOTE, the actual numeric serial number is on the side of the receiver out of the way.

So, even though this is super common modification, I'm wondering if it is legal to remove some of those engravings if any because I at some point will want to do this "loading port mod" to mine.

In the very least, the model # will have to go.
Removing those markings would run afoul CA laws. [PC 23900]

Penal Code 23900
Any person who changes, alters, removes, or obliterates the name of the maker, model, manufacturer’s number, or other mark of identification, including any distinguishing number or mark assigned by the Department of Justice, on any pistol, revolver, or any other firearm, without first having secured written permission from the department to make that change, alteration, or removal shall be punished by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 07-18-2018, 7:57 AM

[QUOTE=MissiontoMars;21890052] I think i'd be most concerned with the serial number, because that would call up the make model and owner for ID purposes.

QUOTE]

I question whether the SN alone is sufficient since SNs might (are?) assigned within model and brand. When you register a firearm you include all 3 - mfg, model, and SN.
ELR - anything shorter is point blank.

Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA) Facilitator
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 07-18-2018, 7:02 PM

Hmf!

CA at it again!