Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-17-2013, 2:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Default RUGER LCP

I've been looking for a Ruger LCP. Plenty online, even have an FFL willing to work with me out of state to convert it.

The local FFL who I went to for singleshot exemptions has gone out of business and I do not want to drive to the Bay Area or LA for it.

How are these guns converted for SSE? Anyone here fondled one in single shot configuration? I ask this because based on the reading that I've done, Ruger does not sell LCP barrels, if you have trouble with yours, you ship your gun to them, they replace it and send it back. You don't get your old barrel back either.

Does the magazine release need to be removed? Does the magazine need to be modified to 0 rounds?

The way I've seen singleshot exempt pistols is that the feed lips of an old/worn barrel are extended so the gun cannot reload itself and an extension to the barrel is welded to make it 10+. Easy to do on a Glock or 1911 barrel, which are easily available.

Last edited by FNH5-7; 01-30-2013 at 7:51 PM..
Old 01-17-2013, 2:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Yes you need to modify the mag to zero rounds.

Yes you need a long enough barrel. Meaning the shop most likely buys an LCP to cannibalize and then welds on an extension, and then hopes to sell enough to recover the cost of the first LCP(which wouldn't be too difficult since it's not that expensive).
Old 01-17-2013, 3:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I love my LCP. It weighs practically nothing, is super accurate, and points well in your hand.
Old 01-17-2013, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
Meaning the shop most likely buys an LCP to cannibalize and then welds on an extension, and then hopes to sell enough to recover the cost of the first LCP(which wouldn't be too difficult since it's not that expensive).
I've heard the same thing - shop buys a pistol for the sole purpose of modifying the barrel when the manufacture doesn't sell the barrel separate and/or there are no aftermarket ones available.
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.” - Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle
Old 01-22-2013, 9:25 AM

I have an 07 FFL and can fabricate parts in my machine shop to make this gun legal for SSE. AND I will make a new barrel so you can use the original after transfer. Will need the handgun for about 2 weeks. I would send it to your FFL in SSE configuration so they can start the transfer right away. If they pay me for the parts, they can keep them. If you/they want to return the parts to me, the cost is reasonable since I can reuse them; a deposit would be required. Detailed instructions are included on how to convert back to standard configuration and send the parts back to me. Send me an email if interested.
Old 01-22-2013, 9:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Toby, that's great news. Be sure to get this info in the SSE sticky.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Einstein View Post
I've heard the same thing - shop buys a pistol for the sole purpose of modifying the barrel when the manufacture doesn't sell the barrel separate and/or there are no aftermarket ones available.
This is correct. It adds up if you want to have multiple barrels around for popular guns (that have no other way of obtaining appropriate barrel length).
Old 01-22-2013, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt-45 View Post
I've been looking for a Ruger LCP. Plenty online, even have an FFL willing to work with me out of state to convert it.

The local FFL who I went to for singleshot exemptions has gone out of business and I do not want to drive to the Bay Area or LA for it.

How are these guns converted for SSE? Anyone here fondled one in single shot configuration? I ask this because based on the reading that I've done, Ruger does not sell LCP barrels, if you have trouble with yours, you ship your gun to them, they replace it and send it back. You don't get your old barrel back either.

Does the magazine release need to be removed? Does the magazine need to be modified to 0 rounds?

The way I've seen singleshot exempt pistols is that the feed lips of an old/worn barrel are extended so the gun cannot reload itself and an extension to the barrel is welded to make it 10+. Easy to do on a Glock or 1911 barrel, which are easily available.
I know the shop you're speaking off and I'm bummed they're going out of business. I believe PRK does SSE, but I'm not sure. I sent an email last month to SSE an XD-S and still haven't received a reply so I said screw it and went and had my SSE done at EBR Works in Thousand Oaks. We definitely need another SSE shop in Fresno County but a lot of the dealers are just too afraid to do it .

Old 01-23-2013, 4:47 PM

Great question, Colt-45 and even a better answer by Toby! I just spoke with him, very knowledgeable and a great asset to this thread and website, I hope we can do business soon.
Old 01-23-2013, 6:02 PM

If your on Fresno, PRK sells the SSE LCP, $403.78 OTD, I bought my fourth one from them three weeks ago, man I need to go pick it up ! They normally stock them. Give them a call and if they got it you can DROS it tomorrow.

Also Spencer's? On 41 out towards Hwy 145 also stocks the SSE LCP, their $379 before fees, so it would be about $30 more OTD over PRK since they are $349 before fees.

Sucks that WTP isn't an option any more, Ryan was $379 on the LCP before fees.

The dealer will install a dummy mag, and also swap out the barrel with a longer one that meets the single shot min length limit, its about 7" or so, you buy the gun in this configuration, after the ten day wait you take possession of the gun In this config by physically walking out of the store with the gun, then you legally own it, and you then go back in the store trade the dealer the SSE parts for the standard parts, and you now have a normal LCP.

Last edited by brianm767; 01-23-2013 at 6:18 PM..
Old 01-25-2013, 2:31 PM
Calguns Addict

What makes the Ruger worth the SSE exemption ?
Old 01-25-2013, 4:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
I didn't SSE mine so I don't really know what that is all about but I can say that it's a great little pistol. Very reliable and compact. I pocket carry it and no one ever notices. I hardly notice when I'm carrying it. It's a little hard to put a ton of rounds through in one session because it really does kick a lot. But that's to be expected from a super light little pistol. It's my only 380, but I'll never sell it. Just a nice little piece to have IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...
Old 01-25-2013, 5:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby's Tactical View Post
I have an 07 FFL and can fabricate parts in my machine shop to make this gun legal for SSE. AND I will make a new barrel so you can use the original after transfer. Will need the handgun for about 2 weeks. I would send it to your FFL in SSE configuration so they can start the transfer right away. If they pay me for the parts, they can keep them. If you/they want to return the parts to me, the cost is reasonable since I can reuse them; a deposit would be required. Detailed instructions are included on how to convert back to standard configuration and send the parts back to me. Send me an email if interested.
Thanks alot for your offer, I visited an FFL that was new to me today and found out they do SSE for RUGER LCP for an additional $50. That's a reasonable price for me considering 1. it's in Fresno and 2. Most guys wanted $100!!

Hope this thread can get you some business from guys that don't have an FFL like mine nearby.

Quote:
It's the best pocket pistol IMO, Ruger did a great job with it. I will be applying for CCW this summer and for guys like me that don't have much meat to conceal weapons in, this is the perfect gun. If I was fat or if winter was year round around here, I'd love to carry a 1911 all the time like the old timers do. I'm not a fan of 380, I wish one in that exact same size was available but in 9mm. The LC9 is the same size as my Kahr CW9 so I need something smaller.
Old 01-25-2013, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Size, weight, reliability, only other guns in its size and weight is the Kahr Cali P380, S&W Bodyguard or the original LCP by Keltek, and even with the SSE markup, the LCP is still $200 dollars cheaper than the P380, $150-$200 than the BG, and much better quality than the Keltek.

Picked up my fourth one today from PRK , I'm not a huge laser fan on a belley gun, but I got two CT LCP lasers for much less than the price of one, so I'm going to install it, gave the other to my son.

Did I mention size and weight? it's lighter than my P380 I had, it's thinner, and it has very smooth edges and lines , it won't get hung up on any thing in your pocket, it barely weighs more than a large key chain set, you forget it's in your pocket.

Last edited by brianm767; 01-25-2013 at 7:13 PM..
Old 01-25-2013, 7:43 PM

Not sure what the big deal is here... I have one of these little guns and I love it!

Never had to do any SSE.... it has been checked and added to my CCW by my local Police department, No problem.

I purchased mine through TORO Arms in Woodland . He takes in Law Enforcement trade ins and resells them. You can purchase one "Used" and not have to worry about the SSE ....
Old 01-25-2013, 11:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighter4cage View Post
Not sure what the big deal is here... I have one of these little guns and I love it!

Never had to do any SSE.... it has been checked and added to my CCW by my local Police department, No problem.

I purchased mine through TORO Arms in Woodland . He takes in Law Enforcement trade ins and resells them. You can purchase one "Used" and not have to worry about the SSE ....
Was it a consignment? Im no expert but i've been told in the past that even used guns sold by FFL's are subject to the roster.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbay View Post
I love my LCP. It weighs practically nothing, is super accurate, and points well in your hand.
I still have mine. I carried it every second i was awake in my shorts pockets around the house in Texas. It was great in that when wearing sweat pants or basketball type shorts since it didn't weigh anything, especially in an apartment and people knocking on the door or just going out to get the groceries or walk the dogs.

It always had a weird trigger bounce that would feel like it bruised the bone on my trigger finger after you fired each shot. I then got the S&W Bodyguard and like it a lot better. I'll probably be selling my 2 LCP's before i move to Utah but im keeping my Texas Coyote edition i got signed by Rick Perry! Funny how such a cheap gun became a collector piece for me. Damn i miss being free
Old 01-28-2013, 9:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Anyone here know what the price of 15 round LCP rebuild kits was before the scare?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

I actually made the barrel for that gun.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Quote:
Was it a consignment? Im no expert but i've been told in the past that even used guns sold by FFL's are subject to the roster.
Consignment, PPT, and C&R are exempt.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:14 PM
Calguns Addict

I figured that would be an option. Should be no problem for people who know how to work metal, especially with such a small barrel.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I figured that would be an option. Should be no problem for people who know how to work metal, especially with such a small barrel.
Not as easy as you might think. There's a lot of angles and the lock up area that has to be just right or it won't work right or chamber a round.

Patrick Henry.
Old 01-29-2013, 4:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Here's the way they look in SSE form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 01-30-2013, 7:54 PM
Calguns Addict

^^ thanks alot for the pic!

I think i got lucky and found one with laser for 389.99 SHIPPED. For some reason even these are being gauged! Ive seen them as high as 475+shipping.

Sent my payment yestarday and the dealer raised the price on them today. Hopefully my price is still honored when my payment is received.
Old 01-30-2013, 8:20 PM

I've seen them as high as $500 at Gun Shows... and that was PRE-crisis.
Old 01-31-2013, 3:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel80 View Post
I've seen them as high as $500 at Gun Shows... and that was PRE-crisis.
Right now I've seen some without laser for $400! They want $500 for the "rare" green one.
Old 01-31-2013, 3:54 PM
Veteran Member

Somebody just recently sold their LCP with laser in the classifieds for $400! Wish I would've seen that deal.
Old 02-12-2013, 6:07 PM
Calguns Addict

I managed to get one for $360 with laser nIb.

These things are awsome. Very well built, puts the Keltecs to shame. The P380's and PF9's I've handled look like the toy guns I used to get at the supermarket when I was a kid, plastic is sloppy and cheap.
Old 04-03-2013, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
Here's the way they look in SSE form

lol looks like its missing the flag that says BANG