Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 06-10-2017, 1:10 AM

Default How do you clean powder measure hopper?

My powder measure on my RCBS Pro 2000 has become hard to see when the powder is getting low. The green plastic hopper that holds the powder has become stained over the years. I never leave any powder in it, and always empty it when done reloading. I have wiped it out, but has not helped much.
Don't want to do anything that would contaminate my powder after cleaning. Does anyone have a suggestions?
Old 06-10-2017, 1:15 AM

I might try denatured alcohol. It'll evaporate almost completely (if not completely) and is a decent solvent. I haven't tried to clean mine, but now that you mention it, it's pretty stained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns." -Unknown (possibly Tim Moen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allhailflintlocks View Post
Gun owners need to be the new illegals - undocumented firearm possessors if you will.
Legislator "logic":
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezrat View Post
Before long, the Feds via A.D.A. will probably require manufacturers to include Braille markings to accommodate blind shooters.....
Old 06-10-2017, 1:29 AM
Banned

I always empty mine immediately after use as the powder will mess up the hopper tube if left in overnight. My cleaning method involves tapping on the cast body while I move the rotor a couple times to get all the kernels out. All that's left is graphite. Eventually the tube gets too hard to see through. If a chemical-type flush and scrub doesn't work well enough then I install a new tube and start all over again.
Old 06-10-2017, 6:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've never been able to clean one up. The stain seems to work its way into the plastic. You will probably have to contact RCBS directly for a replacement. For that matter, their customer service is usually pretty good, and they may have a cleaning suggestion, too.
Old 06-10-2017, 6:13 AM
Bring back the Lions.
CGN Contributor

They will send you a new one no questions asked. The real trick is installing the new one. May as well ask for some small primer plug assemblies and the little plastic thingies(detent, part 186265) for the primer feed while you are on the line. Always good to have spares.

Last edited by TKM; 06-10-2017 at 6:17 AM..
Old 06-10-2017, 6:22 AM
Veteran Member

Don't use alcohol. Plastic tends to fog when you put denatured alcohol on it.
Old 06-10-2017, 6:49 AM

Replace it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2017, 7:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Replace it or just look down from the top to check the level.
Old 06-10-2017, 7:07 AM
Veteran Member

Try WD-40 then glass cleaner to rid of the WD-40
Old 06-10-2017, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Windex and a paper shop towel wrapped around a dowel.

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 06-10-2017, 2:21 PM

Hard to see through?
You can stand up and stretch occasionally and check it then
or
have a back light
or
get, if it fits, a Dillon low powder sensor
or
make your own that fits the hopper and applies a constant weight to the powder column.
I clean the hopper with soapy water (and let air dry and not rinse off the soapy water) or with Hornady One-Shot Cleaner and Dry Lube (obviously, NOT case lube), but those won't clean if the "dirt" has penetrated (i.e., the cheap polystyrene plastic has discolored with age).
Then, if the "dirt" is graphite, it is preventing static cling causing a bunch of powder kernels sticking to the hopper.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal1911 View Post
My powder measure on my RCBS Pro 2000 has become hard to see when the powder is getting low. The green plastic hopper that holds the powder has become stained over the years. I never leave any powder in it, and always empty it when done reloading. I have wiped it out, but has not helped much.
Don't want to do anything that would contaminate my powder after cleaning. Does anyone have a suggestions?
Leave it alone. Just wipe it out and carry on. Is what I do and never leave powder in it for more than a few hours at a time. Contact RCBS, Maybe they have a part you can use.

OR you could just MOD it...

If you get a replacement part, cut out a rectangular window at the bottom of the cylinder portion and insert a clear plastic tube up against it. Now you will have a crystal clear window to look through and when it gets messed up, just cut out another piece and replace it. Hold it in place with a small piece of tape on either side. Be sure to buy a piece that is a little bit wider than your dropper container. Maybe an inch or two larger in diameter.

Maybe something like this:
http://www.cleartecpackaging.com/cle...tic-tubes.html Then you can cut off about a 1.5" section, cut a slit down one side so you can squeeze it together to make it fit inside, then slide it down. If I had this issue with no way to get the hopper replaced I would do this.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

Last edited by stilly; 06-11-2017 at 11:57 AM..
Old 06-14-2017, 6:30 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I just emailed RCBS Customer Service, asking for cleaning methods they recommend. Would be great if they would send a replacement hopper. We shall see. They do have really good customer service, on par with Springfield. Just an FYI- I always empty the hopper once I am done reloading, and wipe it out too. I guess I just reload too much. I would bet I have reloaded at least 50K or more!
Old 06-15-2017, 6:44 PM

RCBS Customer service replied to my email and are sending a replacement powder measure hopper. "it is in the mail". Great Customer Service!
Old 06-15-2017, 10:02 PM

Flitz or Nu-Finish with a buff ball attached to a drill....

Been doing it for years.
Old 06-16-2017, 7:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
RCBS Customer service replied to my email and are sending a replacement powder measure hopper. "it is in the mail". Great Customer Service!
Great!
Old 06-16-2017, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Let us know how the "replacing" part goes.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
Let us know how the "replacing" part goes.
Yeah, I was thinking about this and I thought it was all one piece. But maybe that green cylinder is screwed on and not perm attached.

Old 06-20-2017, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
Yeah, I was thinking about this and I thought it was all one piece. But maybe that green cylinder is screwed on and not perm attached.
According to the RCBS video on how to replace them, they are just a press fit and take a pretty good whap on the bench to get on and off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EF_aPMj6sY
Old 06-20-2017, 11:15 AM
CGN Contributor

Not hard to get off or back on with a bit of care.
Old 06-20-2017, 1:15 PM
Veteran Member

Once you get your new hopper, you might want to line the inside with a clear plastic sheet protector. That way, if/when it becomes discolored, you simply replace the liner.

Most double base pistol powders high in nitroglycerin content will eventually eat away and embed the graphite into the RCBS hopper. The same happens with Hornady hoppers and Mec shotshell bottles. With RCBS and Hornady, you can do the sheet protector trick, with the Mec bottles, you simply buy another bottle or use a 1 or 2 liter soda bottle trimmed properly because the thread on the powder and shot bottles are the same as with soda bottles.
Old 06-21-2017, 9:41 AM
CGN Contributor

Another option is the Sinclair bottle adapter. I use it on mine. I can put a 1lb bottle straight onto the adapter, or use nalgene style plastic ones. they dont scar up, and you can put a plug in the bottom to fill them in use. Easy to store the extra powder in-between switches too. When my original hoppers wore out i went that direction.

http://item.brownells.com/groups/sin...ters/index.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Once you get your new hopper, you might want to line the inside with a clear plastic sheet protector. That way, if/when it becomes discolored, you simply replace the liner.

Most double base pistol powders high in nitroglycerin content will eventually eat away and embed the graphite into the RCBS hopper. The same happens with Hornady hoppers and Mec shotshell bottles. With RCBS and Hornady, you can do the sheet protector trick, with the Mec bottles, you simply buy another bottle or use a 1 or 2 liter soda bottle trimmed properly because the thread on the powder and shot bottles are the same as with soda bottles.
Old 06-21-2017, 9:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post

THAT is a good idea. Kinda like a JT RIP-OFF for the goggles on motorcross. Several layers of plastic goggle covers so when the top gets muddy you just rip it off and there is another layer or two still underneath.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
THAT is a good idea. Kinda like a JT RIP-OFF for the goggles on motorcross. Several layers of plastic goggle covers so when the top gets muddy you just rip it off and there is another layer or two still underneath.
When my kids and I volunteered at the Hangtown Motocross races, I noticed a bunch of transparent plastic sheets at the bottom of the big jump. I then figured out that they were tearoffs from the rider's visors and they all tore them off in the middle of a 65 foot jump (I guess that's the one place on the course where they don't have to do anything else)
Old 06-22-2017, 2:49 AM

>Briancnelson: Another option is the Sinclair bottle adapter. I use it on mine. I can put a 1lb bottle straight onto the adapter, or use nalgene style plastic ones. they dont scar up, and you can put a plug in the bottom to fill them in use. Easy to store the extra powder in-between switches too. When my original hoppers wore out i went that direction.

Wondering:
1) How did your hoppers wear out? I've got several 30 year old powder measures and the hoppers are still fine (discolored slightly, but working the same as day 1).
2) Why would someone who is freaked out because their hopper has "turned color" want to use an opaque "hopper" bottle?
I think the idea has merit, but not for someone suffering OCD about their hopper turning slightly brown.
Nope, they should get cut-crystal leaded glass hoppers.
Old 08-03-2017, 6:12 PM

RCBS sent me a replacement hopper. Great customer service. The plastic hopper is pressed in, took a little twisting back and forth before it came out. Pushed the replacement in by hand, the put upside down and tapped it lightly until it seated.
Nollj- The hopper did not wear out, just got hard to see how much powder was remaining in the hopper, got very dark. I do not want to load any rounds with low or without any powder which would lead to squib loads.