Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 08-31-2013, 9:43 AM

Default HELP W/ 1x4 SCOPE

HEY GUYS
I HAVE A EOTECH AND MAGNIFIER ON ONE OF MY AR'S I GOT ANOTHER AR I WOULD LIKE TO PUT A 1x4 SCOPE ON TRYING TO STAY AROUND $300 + or - ANY KNOWLEDGE ON THESE OR SOMETHING IN IN THESE PRICE RANGE.

NIKON M223
NIKON MONARCH
BURRIS TAC30
LEOPOLD MARK AR
LEOPOLD VX2
LEOPOLD VX HOG
LEATHERWOOD CMR

AND THEN AROUND $200

MILLETT DMS
LEOPOLD VX1
PRIMARY ARMS

APPRECIATE ANY HELP
Old 08-31-2013, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

Not on your list but you should look at the Mueller SpeedShot 1-4x. Comes in around 249.

Great combination of a REALLY bright red dot with the plus of having up to 4x zoom for those longer shots.

Great review here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvMfbYwED1k

Plenty of other great reviews on youtube as well.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Hilux CMR.
Outstanding glass for the price. SWFA sometimes promos them for 300 with a mount
Old 08-31-2013, 7:24 PM
Veteran Member

Default HELP W/ 1x4 SCOPE

quit shouting.

i had a leupold mark AR 1.5-4x, got a good package deal for the scope and an ADM cantilever mount from midwest industries, IIRC. it was nice, i guess, but it didn't exactly thrill me.

i wanted a bit more magnification, so i eventually sold it to a friend and switched to a nikon M-223 2-8x (kept the mount, though). but i was never unhappy with the leupy -- nice, clean glass, and i didn't have to pay for features i didn't want.
“Keep it up, America, keep telling your youth that mud and danger are fit only for intellectual pigs. Keep on saying that only the stupid are fit to sacrifice, that America must be defended by the low-brow and enjoyed by the high-brow. Keep vaunting head over heart, and soon the head will arrive at the complete folly of any kind of fight and meekly surrender the treasure to the first bandit with enough heart to demand it.” (Robert Leckie)

Last edited by strongpoint; 09-01-2013 at 7:03 AM..
Old 08-31-2013, 7:39 PM
Veteran Member

CMR 1-4x scope as well. good value scope, nice horseshoe reticule,

Old 08-31-2013, 9:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I have a VX hog (VX1 with hog reticle) on a 45 Colt lever. Very clear. The VXR is nice, but more $.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 08-31-2013, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

Leatherwood CMR is IMHO the best combo of performance/capability and quality in the $300 price range. The glass on these blows away everything else in the same price bracket. The CMR has one of the better designs out there for BDC/rangefinding reticles as well.
Old 09-01-2013, 6:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

I'm partial to 1-4x scopes with a true 1x. Some people are comfortable with using 1.2x or even 1.5x magnification for both eyes open CQB drills but I'm not and find it both distracting and annoying. The Burris TAC30 1-4x24 and unlighted, Nikon M223 1-4x20 and Weaver V3 1-3x20 have true 1x magnification, the rest on your list may or may not, a few I know for sure do not. The TAC30, M223, and V3 are very well made products with excellent glass (especially the M223) that should hold up very-very well.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

Last edited by sholling; 09-01-2013 at 6:44 AM..
Old 09-02-2013, 7:56 AM

Primary Arms has a 1-6x coming out in the next 60 days for $249. Looks interesting.
Old 09-02-2013, 9:10 AM

I'm using Burris Mtac. Love it. Great glass, illumination works even in bright daylight, solid construction, great reticle (imho). A little pricier than what your looking for but I bet the Tac30 will suit your needs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-02-2013, 3:05 PM

The only 2 I have direct experience with on your list are the Leupold Mark AR and Leatherwood CMR. I'm currently running the Mark AR mod1 on my AR right now and am admittedly luke warm on it. It's very light (which is mainly why I bought it) and the tac knobs are nice but the reticle is kind of on the "meh" side for my tastes and the "eye box" (if I'm using that term correctly) is frankly terrible -- you really have to have your eye positioned "just so" on this scope to avoid that "black out" effect, much more so than on any other scope I've ever owned. The actual clarity of the glass, though, seems quite good.

The CMR I only had for a very short time. Bought it off Midway and shortly after mounting it, noticed a spec on the inside of the lens. Ended up sending it back for a refund. It did otherwise seem to be a quality scope -- felt real solid and the glass was amazingly clear (except for that spec -- I think I just got a bad one which happens sometimes). I liked the reticle as well, although the illumination (I got the green one which was probably a mistake) would easily wash out against similar colored backgrounds (like trees & bushes) in normal daylight.

I've looked at (and through) the Burris TAC30 quite a few times in local gun stores in the past. It seems like a good scope for it's price point. My only two issues with it, and the reason I ultimately didn't buy one, was that it's on the large side for a scope with it's magnification, and also, I just couldn't get into that reticle. I've read quite a few reviews, though, where people swear by the reticle and they say that BDC in there is spot on for whatever load it's calibrated for (55 grain, I think).

You might want to also consider the Bushnell PCL line of scopes. I believe those are coming in under $300.00 and seem to be loaded with features. The Optics Planet guy started a thread here some months back and he gave it a nice review:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...=736670&page=2
Old 09-03-2013, 2:47 AM

Default Tac 30 or Mtac

MTAC.....is about $328 shipped on Ebay
Old 09-03-2013, 6:41 AM
Veteran Member

I bought at 1-4x24 scope from Primary arms and so far I really dig it. I bought it for my LR308 as a means of experimenting with optics types. As I said, I like it quite a bit for the price, but eventually I will upgrade to something a little higher quality.

PS: If you go with Prmary Arms, I highly recommend adding the butler creek flip up lens covers. I didn't and the stocks one are terrible.
Old 09-03-2013, 7:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Just a pet peeve, but its not 1x4. 1x4 would be 1x power by 4mm objective lens. That isn't correct. It would be something like a 1x to 4x by 24mm objective. I know that is particular, but its just a pet peeve of my own.

That said, check out the Primary Arms 1-4x and see if you even like the format first. They are cheap, and now they are making a couple hundred dollar 1-6x with a .223 reticle. If you want a bit better glass, Leupold Mark AR or Leatherwood CMR are both great scopes for the money.

A couple more for the money that I've heard great things about but I can't honestly vouch myself are the Bushnell ARoptics 1-4x24. It has a LOT of features for the money. FFP, Drop reticle, really clear glass, throw lever, and too many goodies to list. The Weaver Kaspa scopes are getting really good reviews too. Make sure you look at the extreme tactical scopes or whatever the better ones are called. Good luck.
Old 09-03-2013, 7:26 AM

I have a TAC30 with German #4 reticle on my AR and find it to be a very nice scope. I mounted mine in the Burris PEPR QD mount and it has made for a solid setup.
Old 09-05-2013, 8:09 AM

I have put 1000's of rounds under Nikon's M-223 1-4 Point Blank Reticle. From the range, carbine competition's to hog hunting and no complints. This 1-4 scope is so easy to set up, dial it in for 100 yards and you are still bangin 10 in steel plates at 200 yards. For CQB stages of comp. I dial it down to 1X and still have excellent FOV to make quick concise shots. Check it out, it is right in your price range too.

http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/bm...tml?sort=3&o=3
Old 09-05-2013, 9:24 AM
Veteran Member

I have the Nikon M-233 w/Point Blank reticle and my wife has the Leopold Mark AR. The Nikon is a vastly superior scope, larger field of view, brighter image, and clearer image. The turrets an the Nikon are better too, no tools required.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:20 AM

Thanks MJ, The M-223 1-4 Point Blank Reticle is one of my favorite Nikon scopes! I have banged mine around pretty good and still dead on!
Old 09-06-2013, 3:36 AM
Veteran Member

The leupold vx-r patrol has outstanding glass. Though not a true 1x if you shoot with both eyes opemed its not a problem. The biggest problem with any magnified optic true 1x or not is its very hard to pick up the reticule in non traditional shooting position. This is where the vxr patrol with the fire dot shines since its parallax free just point the dot at what you want to hit and pull the trigger. Also if a 1.25x bothers you just turn on the dot and close the front lens cover. There are a lot of reviews saying the vxr patrols dot isnt day light visable or is to dim. I can personally tell you those claims are faulse. The biggest down fall of the patrol is the non locking turrets especially on a dedicated cqb rig. For a spr or dmr rifle that may play a cqb roll if you had to it will do just fine. Targets out to 100- 500m is where this scope will shine. Bitach tactical has them on sale for 499 free shipping no tax and 10% off summer special so it comes to @ 449.00

Palmetto State Armory Suppliers revealed

"If it ain't stock, it don't belong on your Glock"

Last edited by Munny$hot; 09-06-2013 at 3:38 AM..
Old 09-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Bushnell AR Optic 1-4x 24mm Throw Down PCL

I just ordered one this morning with the Nikon mount. It was $280 and the mount was $80 at cabelas and they had a coupon for $5 shipping if you spend $100. I have the 2-7 rimfire and it is a pretty good scope for the money. Cant wait to get this one.
Old 09-24-2013, 4:42 PM

Thanks to everyone for your opinions I ended up going with the Nikon m223
Old 09-25-2013, 5:45 AM

Hockey, I think you will be very happy with your choice. Make sure you post some pics and a range report when you get a chance. Did you go with the M-223 AR Mount too ?
Old 09-28-2013, 2:10 PM

Not sure if 1-3 magnifies enough for you, but the weaver v3 is supposed to be a true 1x and runs around $150. No illumination though. Has lived up to all my expectations, especially for the price.