Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 12-13-2009, 7:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default .308 Reloading with Sabots like Accelerators

Back in the 70s I can remember my brother having a box of Accelerators for his 30-06. I have been reading up on using the modern equivilent in reloading. Here is a company offering the sabots: http://www.sabotreloadingpro.com/ From the reading that I've done in other places, it seems that results vary widely. I did come accross a thread where it was stated that it is extremely important to get the runout out of the reload before using it. Here is an example: http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/...tricity-Gauges

Has anyone SUCCESSFULLY reloaded using sabots? What is the best that i can expect for grouping at 100yds?

I searched and Google searched "accelerator" + "sabot" but found nothing. My apologize if this thread is a duplicat
Old 12-14-2009, 5:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

BTT
Old 12-14-2009, 3:53 PM

I have not handloaded sabot highpower ammunition.
There is nothing wrong with keeping runout out of your handloads though.

I say go for it Chop.
Do you have a chronograph?
Now is the time to have one, you'll be playing in chamber-pressure Spooksville with this -- I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Cheers
Tinker
Old 12-14-2009, 3:58 PM

Also, get some photos up of your setup and of your targets -- with chrono data!!

Cheers
Tinker
Old 12-15-2009, 7:57 PM

http://www.eabco.com/reload02.html.

My "accuracy" was dismal. And FYI >>>Do Not fire the sabots through any form of "muzzle brake/ flash suppressor"... The saobots can bloom in the muzzle device and create havoc.

Giv'em a try, you might have better luck than I.
Old 12-16-2009, 1:59 PM

I won't be fiddling with 30 caliber handloads for a little while.
The next work I'll be doing with the .308 is to run my 180gr/2800fpsMV hunting loads at various distances between 100-400 yards so I can set up a ballistic chart for that rifle and load.

I have some factory 30-30 accelerator ammunition here.
Never ran it through a 30-30 rifle, but from time to time I come across them and think about sabot ammo for the highpower rifles.

Sabots + flash suppressors (or other muzzle accessories) can equal big trouble for sure!!

Lots of things to consider on the approach to a sub-caliber highpower rifle load.
Rifling twist rate is definitely one of them.
Have you experimented with overall length of the cartridge (seating depth) yet?
You might find something there to help with accuracy.
Have you taken a casting of your chamber?
It's good to know what the throat and leade of your barrel look like before you go very far with load development on a project like this.

Cheers
Tinker
Old 12-17-2009, 5:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.tinkerer View Post
I won't be fiddling with 30 caliber handloads for a little while.
The next work I'll be doing with the .308 is to run my 180gr/2800fpsMV hunting loads at various distances between 100-400 yards so I can set up a ballistic chart for that rifle and load.

I have some factory 30-30 accelerator ammunition here.
Never ran it through a 30-30 rifle, but from time to time I come across them and think about sabot ammo for the highpower rifles.

Sabots + flash suppressors (or other muzzle accessories) can equal big trouble for sure!!

Lots of things to consider on the approach to a sub-caliber highpower rifle load.
Rifling twist rate is definitely one of them.
Have you experimented with overall length of the cartridge (seating depth) yet?
You might find something there to help with accuracy.
Have you taken a casting of your chamber?
It's good to know what the throat and leade of your barrel look like before you go very far with load development on a project like this.

Cheers
Tinker
Just getting started with exploring the idea. Was not sure if it even viable for anything less than minute-of-barn door accuracy. I was hoping that others had tried it and could offer do's and don'ts, load data, and results. No sense reinventing the wheel if someone else has already travelled this road.
Old 12-17-2009, 6:54 AM

keeps the rifling off the bullet thats a plus 1.

I dunno, I've never been much for guns. I mean, sure, we have the usual gun by the door, another near the TV, one in the kitchen, and another in the bedroom...and several others laying around. For the most part though, we keep our home free of guns. We are peace loving folks.
Old 12-18-2009, 6:46 AM

Robert-

Quote:
Originally Posted by r08ert209cali View Post
keeps the rifling off the bullet thats a plus 1.

Couple things on that comment.
First, the engraving of the barrel's rifling doesn't in any way damage or diminish the effectiveness/accuracy of a properly constructed and fit-for-caliber bullet.
Next, unless one were to track down and collect the sabot, they're still leaving an engraved-with-rifling object in the field, and that kind of thing wouldn't likely be missed by the crew sent out there to collect such things.

Cheers
Tinker
Old 12-18-2009, 6:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.tinkerer View Post
Robert-
Couple things on that comment.
First, the engraving of the barrel's rifling doesn't in any way damage or diminish the effectiveness/accuracy of a properly constructed and fit-for-caliber bullet.
Next, unless one were to track down and collect the sabot, they're still leaving an engraved-with-rifling object in the field, and that kind of thing wouldn't likely be missed by the crew sent out there to collect such things.
Cheers
Tinker
This got me thinking. Assuming that accuracy is where it needs to be and you have been shooting the sabots for 20 rnds. Now "...the crew..." finds #21 sabot in the field and retains it to match to the rifle. If said rifle has a regular jacketed bullet fired from it after #21 is fired, wouldn't it be impossible at that point to match #21 sabot to that barrel?

My thought process is that 20 plastic sabots will leave deposits in the barrel that will affect #21 sabot. The jacketed bullet will destroy the pattern created by the 21 sabots. Thoughts?
Old 12-18-2009, 10:29 AM

One (or a thousand) jacketed bullets won't change the ballistic fingerprint of a barrel enough to screw with the results of a professional 'match-making' effort.

The best way to keep oneself out of that kind of trouble is to stay out of trouble.

Cheers
Tinker