Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member

Question The FNH 5.7 why so much $$$$$$

No offense to the sellers but the prices of these semi autos seem ludicrous, in comparison to other high end semi autos, up to $2500 is anyone buying these. The ammo alone is hard to come by and its like $50 a box. And now I'm seeing so many come up for sale recently. With the market flooded, are they now really worth that much.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:25 PM

They're not exactly inexpensive new, either. I wouldn't mind owning one, but there's no way I'd pay what people are asking for them. Even at $1,000 I'd have to think twice.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by battleship View Post
No offense to the sellers but the prices of these semi autos seem ludicrous, in comparison to other high end semi autos, up to $2500 is anyone buying these. The ammo alone is hard to come by and its like $50 a box. And now I'm seeing so many come up for sale recently. With the market flooded, are they now really worth that much.
It is worth what you will pay for it! saying that hell no would I pay 2500 and people are stupid trying to make a buck. this whole frenzey is gonna mess the market up for a long long time if not forever.

I have one and felt 1200 was fair so i paid it. I feel 40$ per box is the most I will pay so I bought 900 rounds at 40 a box. I wont pay 45 or a penny more

Remember the saiga S12 frenzey a few months back? some jack A at ar15 said he heard the ATF was gonna bann the S12 so people went nutz buying them all up prices got high I sen 1000 for a 300 dollar gun. after it was found to be all BS and no bann what did the price stay at? I know 700$ you know why cuz they seen what we would pay for them and left the price jacked.

same thing is gonna happen again with everything gun,lol you have guys selling Pmags 50-60 each. how is that making magpul feel? there will be no more 12$ pmags. but if you know where to look the are 30 -35 all day long

wow that was one long rant I am sorry
the 5.7 is a super fun gun to shoot and if you have 2500 bucks and want it who cares get it.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

"A fool and his money are soon parted."
Old 02-26-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
It's not a gun you see available everyday at a LGS and its been on my list to add to my collection for a long time now. With a $2500 price tag, it's going to stay on my list for a while. I think I Remember seeing one on here for $1100 or $1200 w/ few mags and ammo back in October, didn't last long.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:00 AM
Calguns Addict

I paid $1100 plus DROS/tax for mine with a light for it new and a case of ammo for $19/50 round box. Glad I got mine when I did now. When I bought it and the ammo I was not sure that I was doing the right thing price wise and thought I might wait or get used for less.. Looks like I did the right thing.
Old 02-27-2013, 1:38 AM

I have one and like it. I bought it back in '05 I think, when the rumors that the state was going to ban it were floating around. I think I paid like 1,000, if I remember correctly and that was on the high end of prices back then. All that said, it is ridiculous at 2,000. Hell, it is almost impossible to find ammo for it right now.

I won't be selling it though right now. The reason is that I do like it, but even if I didn't, I wouldn't want to sell it for 2,000, nor would I want to sell it cheaper so that some prick can flip it and feed the current frenzy. If I sell it, it'll happen when things calm down and the market price is more reasonable for buyers. I believe in not taking advantage of people nor adding to the causes of such a mess, especially when the situation is triggered by political adversaries.
Old 02-27-2013, 1:54 AM

It's probably expensive the same reason some Nike shoes are expensive. Very little to do with build quality or materials, and almost everything to do with simply making them rare and thereby "cool." ;-)

(Nobody in their right mind would pay $300 for some shoes, unless they are a good pair of boots or something that will last a decade or more of heavy year-round use on all types of terrain and in all types of weather.)

Are you a member?
Old 02-27-2013, 5:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I think its due to several factors.

One is that it ships with a factory stock 20 round magazine. If you live in a rights-hostile state like MD or Colorado, the clock is ticking to get one before it becomes banned on account of its "high capacity" magazines.

Two, the 5-7 is the modern day "Tec-9"; because it shoots a round designed to defeat body armor, its aforementioned magazine and its use by the Ft. Hood shooter, liberal politicians demonize it; and the more a gun is panned by the government and media, the more popular it is. If Obama took the podium and said the Beretta 92FS was a military handgun too dangerous for civilian ownership, you'd see them go for $2000 on Gunbroker too.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 02-27-2013, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTauron View Post
Two, the 5-7 is the modern day "Tec-9"; because it shoots a round designed to defeat body armor, its aforementioned magazine and its use by the Ft. Hood shooter, liberal politicians demonize it
I have to disagree with you a bit on this one...The 5.7 isn't designed to defeat body armor any more than many other rounds. It just so happens that it has the potential for rifle-like velocities which of course can defeat kevlar vests and what-not if the round is not neutered...which it became thanks to the ban scare of '05.
Old 02-27-2013, 4:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo View Post
I have to disagree with you a bit on this one...The 5.7 isn't designed to defeat body armor any more than many other rounds. It just so happens that it has the potential for rifle-like velocities which of course can defeat kevlar vests and what-not if the round is not neutered...which it became thanks to the ban scare of '05.
The original specs' for the 5.7 x 28 round it shoots was to defeat body armor. The FiveseveN and its P/S90 counterpart were built to defeat body armor which would stop regular 9mmx19 NATO. The high-velocity ammunition capable of doing so is prohibited for civil sale like every other Armor piercing round.

Facts of course never stop the anti's.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 02-27-2013, 6:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Useless gun and useless caliber. If we could buy real AP pistol rounds 9mm or 7.62 tok poke way bigger holes.
Old 02-27-2013, 6:27 PM
Janitors Mop
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Capitalism... Supply and demand. I couldn't tell you the last time I walked into a gun shop and found one in the display case.
Old 02-27-2013, 6:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
Useless gun and useless caliber. If we could buy real AP pistol rounds 9mm or 7.62 tok poke way bigger holes.
The Ft Hood incident stands in disagreement with this post. In the right hands, a .22LR can and has been used to deadly effect.

Old 02-27-2013, 7:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

FN designed the 5.7 family as NATO pilot PDWs so pilots with the right ammo (SS190) can engage and defeat enemy's who may have body armor.

I have a 5.7 and they are nice, with the second best trigger after a 1911. Retail is a grand with no stock right now. At SHOT FN indicated late 1st quarter or early 2nd quarter for new stock.
Old 02-27-2013, 7:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

maybe this ? - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ghlight=fn+5.7

i threw a new one on gun broker at a start of .99 and it sold for $2525 + shipping , had a 10 rounder and 2 20's .

2 weeks ago

i did not set the price , the people did .
Old 02-27-2013, 7:16 PM

Pretty sure it's the gun that killed Lincoln, Kennedy, Cobain, and ended WWII, hence the high price.
I think I would go with a Telecaster. The bolt on neck would be the strongest to deal with terrorist zombies. I know most folks will say Strat, but I think the trem system is unreliable.
I mean, who needs to dive bomb when SHTF? That only happens in movies.
CERTIFIABLE RIMFIRE JUNKIE.

Alpinestars Track Pants for sale!
Old 02-27-2013, 7:21 PM
Calguns Addict

ALL the people screwing people are constantly looking for cheap stuff. They don't understand the damage they are causing. If they seriously think companies wont see guns selling used for 1.5 to 2x more then they are charging. Then the companys raise the prices because people will pay it.They are fools plain and simple.

As a buseness owner I would charge more for my product if I knew people were buying it for reselling ONLY for a profit and were not a store front/ sales establishment.
Old 02-28-2013, 4:26 AM
Banned

One must pay for Tacticoolness. Oh wait! not with that gun sorry carry on.....
Old 02-28-2013, 9:39 AM

It certainly is too rich for my blood.
Old 02-28-2013, 9:46 AM
Veteran Member

Because it's on the ban radar, and folks think they won't be for sale in the near future.

Well, the two old guys I know that bought them, that was their reasoning.
They aren't really shooters or collectors, but the hype attracted them to the 5.7
Old 02-28-2013, 9:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'd buy one. But I do have to say it looks like ***...
Old 03-03-2013, 1:44 PM

I sold My 5.7 last month for $2,600 with 550 rounds and a couple extra mags.
Its a solid gun but when i noticed the price of ammo for it double from $20 a box to $40+ that was it for me. The ammo is going to get super hard to find and when the ***** hits the fan it will be a cool paper weight at best.
Old 03-03-2013, 2:23 PM
Veteran Member

Anything fn/sig/hk, they are just gonna charge an arm n leg at regular uninflated prices. That's just how the maker does work....Is it really worth that much? Not in my book. You would have to be in love with the gun/brand to spend that much imo. And ammo, not the cheapest either especially since us lowly peasants can't touch the so called copkiller armorpiercing 5.7 boolits....as if 556/308 was not nearly as Evil as the tiny 5.7's....Though If I had a chance to pick one up at a screaming deal, I'd do just becuz it's like a novelty gun, but only if I lived in a Free country bcuz 10rds or less in a 5.7 completely handicapps it's full potential.

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 03-03-2013, 6:31 PM

The fn 5.7 is one of the only guns I know of that has been named specifically for banning 3 times. It's advantages are obvious. High capacity, high velocity rounds that with the right ammo can penetrate armor. Even the ones that don't will cause great soft tissue damage because the tumbling effect the rounds usually have. Plus the recoil is almost non existent so follow up shots can be sent down field faster more effectively. Easy to use and manipulate good trigger.
Some with adjustable sights. NOT A NOVELTY GUN....the folks at FORT HOOD can attest to that. As far as the price goes. Yes much of it is inflated... but then again FN I have heard is debating on stopping importation of the gun because of liability issues. SO that be said....what is the fair price on unobtanium. AMMO though is another story. That situation should get better in the long run.