Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 12-14-2017, 5:37 PM

Got a kick back for a MPX pistol and MCX pistol. The error message shows I did not select all the features shown in my photos. Interestingly they did not mention the feature I'm missing. The only box left to check was the 2nd handgrip.

So I resubmitted with the second hand grip. I received an email saying that my submission was confirmed for 1 out of my 2 pistols.

Now I can't see any transactions in CFARS or reference my submissions. Is that the case with everyone else?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2017, 5:50 PM

Yea if u read the regulations fir second handgrip, they siding it as any area allowing the shooter to rest their hand... I had to check it on every one of my ar pistols

Mudcamper, I see what ur saying... I called a few months ago and the nice lady on the phone told me they would automatically correct it on their end... I don’t believe that one minute, but she pretty much told me I can call and update the afs once we receive the serial number. Which will probably do no good either
Old 12-20-2017, 10:07 AM

I had a few more:

> One photo shall depict the firearm from the end of the barrel to the end of the stock if it is a long gun or the point furthest from the end of the barrel if it is a pistol.

2 of these. I interpreted this as meaning an angled photo; they apparently wanted top-down photos (but they accepted a few angled ones for others)

> Based on the photos provided, the model of your firearm is SIG556. Please correct your application to reflect SIG556 as your model number.

I'd entered the full model, 'SIG556 Classic', rather than just the receiver model.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somefred View Post
I had a few more:

> One photo shall depict the firearm from the end of the barrel to the end of the stock if it is a long gun or the point furthest from the end of the barrel if it is a pistol.

2 of these. I interpreted this as meaning an angled photo; they apparently wanted top-down photos (but they accepted a few angled ones for.

Glad to hear I was not the only one who though this, I though maybe they wanted a good view of the muzzle device.
Old 12-20-2017, 4:59 PM

If you want the enemy to know your weapons register!

Old 12-20-2017, 7:22 PM

^^Bugger off Spammer!

Oh..and spell check for the win!

Old 01-10-2018, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

I'm trying to CFARS a FAL that's built upon a Century Arms International receiver that has no caliber marking upon the receiver or barrel. I got a bounceback for that they need a picture of the caliber, but there is no marking for the caliber anywhere on the gun. Should I just write back in the comments there is no caliber stamp and take as "MULTI"?
Old 01-23-2018, 1:45 AM

I received this for my Scar 17

Please submit a clear photo of your firearm (from stock to barrel) laying down on a flat surface with a tape measure above it. Measure while rifle is in the shortest possible configuration, in which it will fire (stock should be collapsed and folded). Refer to CCR, title 11, section 5471(x)
Old 01-23-2018, 6:44 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy93 View Post
Yea if u read the regulations fir second handgrip, they siding it as any area allowing the shooter to rest their hand... I had to check it on every one of my ar pistols

Mudcamper, I see what ur saying... I called a few months ago and the nice lady on the phone told me they would automatically correct it on their end... I don’t believe that one minute, but she pretty much told me I can call and update the afs once we receive the serial number. Which will probably do no good either
Interesting...it's like they are forcing you to admit you have an AOW and probably will use that to bust you later if you don't have the tax stamp..

better apply for that AOW paperwork if they are forcing this!

See number 8 (which DOJ is forcing you to say Yes on):
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/hgflowchart.pdf
phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Amazon Links Posted May be Paid Links
Old 01-23-2018, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugimports View Post
Interesting...it's like they are forcing you to admit you have an AOW and probably will use that to bust you later if you don't have the tax stamp..

better apply for that AOW paperwork if they are forcing this!

See number 8 (which DOJ is forcing you to say Yes on):
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/hgflowchart.pdf
No, DOj is asking about a “second hand grip” not a “forward vertical grip”

They have two different definitons according to the new regs.

Doj defines second handgrip as anywhere else that allows the shooter to place their second hand on the pistol.
Old 01-23-2018, 7:44 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:

Doj defines second handgrip as anywhere else that allows the shooter to place their second hand on the pistol.
Ah - so the flowchart needs to be updated..or is that second handgrip equivalent to barrel shroud in the existing flowchart?
phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Amazon Links Posted May be Paid Links
Old 01-23-2018, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugimports View Post
Ah - so the flowchart needs to be updated..or is that second handgrip equivalent to barrel shroud in the existing flowchart?
Neither, second hand grip is a new term that means nothing lol

It was created due to lack of informed knowledge of features and definitions by whoever wrote the regulations.

The wooden handguard on an ak pistol or the rail on an AR pistol both fall under the description of “second hand grip” but not really barrel shroud (although ar pistol rail might be a barrel shroud)

Theoretically it makes the gun an “other firearm” since it means the gun can fire with two hands removing the gun out of the pistol definition

Last edited by caliguy93; 01-23-2018 at 8:04 AM..
Old 01-23-2018, 8:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Neither, second hand grip is a new term that means nothing lol

It was created due to lack of informed knowledge of features and definitions by whoever wrote the regulations.

The wooden handguard on an ak pistol or the rail on an AR pistol both fall under the description of “second hand grip” but not really barrel shroud (although ar pistol rail might be a barrel shroud)

Theoretically it makes the gun an “other firearm” since it means the gun can fire with two hands removing the gun out of the pistol definition

Excramento will find a “common sense” solution like “you have to keep one hand behind your back if the pistol has a magazine outside the primary handgrip”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2018, 8:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasdidt14 View Post
I received this for my Scar 17

Please submit a clear photo of your firearm (from stock to barrel) laying down on a flat surface with a tape measure above it. Measure while rifle is in the shortest possible configuration, in which it will fire (stock should be collapsed and folded). Refer to CCR, title 11, section 5471(x)

They saw the hinge on the buttstock. Take a picture from the other side with the tape measure and put in the notes the buttstock is internally pinned and does not fold. I had to note that on an H&K and and on an MPX pinned telescoping buttstock. After registration is complete you may be able to unpin it if the OAL is at least 26”.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:

Emphasis added that the "Second Handgrip" refers to Pistols.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazydave View Post
Emphasis added that the "Second Handgrip" refers to Pistols.
Yea because pistol is still defined as being capable of being concealed. The only definition we know of that removes it out of that definition is if it’s above a certain length and I can’t remember if it’s 21” or 26”
Old 01-23-2018, 4:51 PM

Here's a new one for me on my PTR-91.

Quote:
Please resubmit a photo of the bullet button taken from underneath to show if the paddle is functional or disabled. If you need to upload multiple photos, you may use the "hunting license" and "military orders" options.
Old 01-26-2018, 3:46 PM

Well after 6 months, I have officially received submission confirmation emails for all 29 of my assault weapons
Old 01-26-2018, 3:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Well after 6 months, I have officially received submission confirmation emails for all 29 of my assault weapons
6 months is a long time. Was it in one registration attempt? Or, did you have to go back and "fix" things with DOJ?

"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." - Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
"Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack." -Stanze
Old 01-26-2018, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanze View Post
6 months is a long time. Was it in one registration attempt? Or, did you have to go back and "fix" things with DOJ?
This whole thread is a list of my rejections
Old 01-27-2018, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Glad you got it worked out. We started at the same time but none were done back in October.

What I've noticed is off your submissions are vanilla ARs sand AKs, they process goes pretty fast. My buddy got everything done within a matter of weeks.

Things that are more "exotic" seem to take quite a bit longer.
Old 01-28-2018, 8:20 PM

Re-submitted everything again for twenty guns; man, this whole process sucks. The stupidity of taking multiple pictures is beyond comprehension. I still cannot believe the one on the PTR-91 asking for a photo the disabled paddle. How would they be able to tell?!? Now they are doing things on purpose

Last edited by veeklog; 01-28-2018 at 8:23 PM..
Old 01-28-2018, 8:33 PM

For HK/PTR type with BB installed paddle release will be loosed, take a photo with paddle release position forward toward the front of the muzzle.
Old 01-28-2018, 8:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeklog View Post
Re-submitted everything again for twenty guns;
Can you explain how to enter multiple guns/forms and only pay $15 for all?
The CRIS website "instructions" mention moving things from View cart to Pending cart then back again for checkout?
The form would not clear out photo attachments. Maybe a browser issue on my end. Edge vs Chrome vs Explorer ?

FYI for new filers don't use anything other than letters, numbers and spaces anywhere in the form. Well except slashes seem OK in the date acquired.
Old 01-28-2018, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_romeo_XV View Post
The CRIS website "instructions" mention moving things from View cart to Pending cart then back again for checkout?
The form would not clear out photo attachments. Maybe a browser issue on my end. Edge vs Chrome vs Explorer ?

FYI for new filers don't use anything other than letters, numbers and spaces anywhere in the form. Well except slashes seem OK in the date acquired.
I did them all at once and just paid for them; it was a awful PITA.
Old 01-28-2018, 8:54 PM

Quote:
When your guns are approved, do they send you an e-mail that everything has been approved or does it show up in the CFAR system as approved? This whole thing is confusing until they send you a rejection e-mail.
Old 01-28-2018, 9:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
When your guns are approved, do they send you an e-mail that everything has been approved or does it show up in the CFAR system as approved? This whole thing is confusing until they send you a rejection e-mail.

When approved you get a letter listing the firearms by model and serial number. If they haven’t be approved they show up as in process, unless they have questions and/or directions to modify your submission, which will come in an email that you need to answer in your CFAR account. If you fail to respond to the questions within 30 days, you’ll get a rejection letter (I think because I never had an application for failure to answer questions).

Old 01-29-2018, 5:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_romeo_XV View Post

Log on once and register all the firearms you intend to with out logging out, then check out.
If you logout and check back in the register another firearm, you get stuck paying another $15.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

If everything looks to be good to go, they send what is basically a "pre-approval" email. From my experience, and from what I've seen here, you dont get this email until all the discrepancies in rejection submissions have been fixed.

It says something like:

"The California Department of Justice has received your electronic AB 1135/SB 880 Assault Weapon Registration and will begin processing your submission. You will be notified of the results via U.S. Mail. "

After getting that email, the next thing that should happen would be your physical letter arriving in the mail in the coming weeks.

EDIT: The CFARS status really isnt worth much. When you first submit, the status initially says "In Progress" If they reject something and it needs to be fixed, the status will say, "Incomplete". Once you go back and fixed the issue, it will go back to "In Progress" .. Even after you receive the physical letter, it will still say "In Progress".

Last edited by Crazed_SS; 01-30-2018 at 1:00 PM..
Old 02-09-2018, 3:32 PM

Well 6 months later and over 80 corrections, I finnaly have my AW registration letter for all 29 firearms... 3 pages long
Old 02-09-2018, 4:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Well 6 months later and over 80 corrections, I finnaly have my AW registration letter for all 29 firearms... 3 pages long

That one huge book of docs your going to keep with you.

Old 02-09-2018, 6:37 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
You were the first and I am sure they had a heart attack when you submitted so many on the first day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 02-09-2018, 7:34 PM

Yet another reason to move to TX

Old 02-09-2018, 11:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

From another thread I posted in. This link should be read (quick read) to get a idea where I am coming from...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...9&postcount=35

Today, I log into CFARS to check progress of the two rifles I registered on Jan 31, one is a WASR 10/63 and the other one is a typical AR platform rifle built up from a Anderson AM-15 stripped lower. Click CRIS transaction history and both rifles are "in progress". I click the top box with the serial# for the WASR and check my application for the WASR, looks OK. I go back and click the AM-15 serial# in bottom box to look at the application and WTF, the application is for the WASR...

I was logged in CFARS from my Dell laptop running Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge browser...

I log out and boot up my desktop and log into CFARS and check CRIS transaction history. Click top box with serial# for WASR, application looks OK. I go back and click the AM-15 serial# in bottom box and now I see the application for the AM-15. This is the correct information so I printed it, again...

The desktop is a Lenovo running Windows 7 and Internet Explorer browser. This is the computer I used to submit the AW application...

This is weird so I try the Dell laptop again but this time I use Internet Explorer 11 browser. I log into CFARS and check CRIS transaction history. I click the serial# for the WASR in top box and now the application for the AM-15 is on the monitor. I go back and click the AM-15 serial# in the bottom box and I see the application for the AM-15 again...

My next step is to log into CFARS from a friends computer to see how things look. God only knows what the folks at the DOJ are looking at...

The only e-mail contact from the DOJ is the credit card receipt...

What a mess...

iTrader Feedback Link
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1885547
Old 02-10-2018, 8:11 AM

Shrunk my tavor and aug down to 26” OAL now that I have my registration letter!!!! Now to get that bullet button post modification regulation tossed out!!
Old 02-10-2018, 8:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Shrunk my tavor and aug down to 26” OAL now that I have my registration letter!!!! Now to get that bullet button post modification regulation tossed out!!

Did the same to my Tavor and MPX. That sure felt good. It the B.B. reg gets tossed, SB880 with be the biggest backfire on the Progs.

Old 02-10-2018, 3:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
Did the same to my Tavor and MPX. That sure felt good. It the B.B. reg gets tossed, SB880 with be the biggest backfire on the Progs.

It's already backfired to a certain extent. There are now a lot more standard magazine releases on SACF rifles due to going featureless, additionally anyone that has gone fixed magazine with ejection port loaders are reloading much faster than using a bullet button.
Old 02-10-2018, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bulletBarney View Post
From another thread I posted in. This link should be read (quick read) to get a idea where I am coming from...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...9&postcount=35

I was logged in CFARS from my Dell laptop running Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge browser...
The Edge browser gave me a lot of problems. DOJ told me to use chrome or firefox
Old 02-10-2018, 5:56 PM
Veteran Member

^^^^^ This. Edge gave me all kinds of problems.
Tried Chrome and it worked OK.
Old 02-10-2018, 7:23 PM

Once u submit a registration for the new BB AW BS law for a rifle before the deadline, if there are any errors within the application, can one continue to correct the mistakes going by the initial registration submission date, until everything r correct, where DOJ cannot say that it's now past the deadline, too late, too bad?