Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 08-28-2014, 11:32 PM

Default Airgun transfer in CA, responsibilities?

I'm going to be selling a .177 pellet air gun. Are there any laws I should be careful to be compliant with in CA? Should I handle it like a firearm, with a transfer form and recording buyer's ID?

Should I take one look at the thicket of red tape I'm heading for and run screaming for the hills?

Any feedback will be much appreciated.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:37 PM

Like black powder guns, I don't think there are any restrictions on selling a pellet/BB gun. But what do I know- I'm just a guy on the interwebs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
Here's my analogy that anybody on calguns can understand:
Hunters = law abiding gun owners
Poachers = school shooters
See how big the difference is?
Old 08-28-2014, 11:43 PM

Sell it.

Smile.

Take the money and run.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:45 PM

not talking about the OP, but it's so sad that the people of California even need to ask about the legality of selling a pellet gun. holy ****.
Old 08-29-2014, 1:37 AM
Veteran Member

Well I mean this is CA and people want to cover their ***. When you say pellet are these the plastic ones or lead pellets? I'm just imagining you selling to a little kid and the parents decide to sue if harm comes from it.
Old 08-29-2014, 1:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have my kid's Red Ryder in my truck box. It's loaded with BB's. I wonder now if that's legal. Seriously.

Old 08-29-2014, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SoCal Gunner View Post
Well I mean this is CA and people want to cover their ***. When you say pellet are these the plastic ones or lead pellets? I'm just imagining you selling to a little kid and the parents decide to sue if harm comes from it.
a pellet is a lead projectile, BB's are the copper or whatever and the plastic ones are airsoft.
Old 08-29-2014, 7:39 AM
retired Goon

CA restrictions...
Can not sell to a minor (person under the age of 18). [PC 19910]

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 08-29-2014, 9:14 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by testcode View Post
I'm going to be selling a .177 pellet air gun. Are there any laws I should be careful to be compliant with in CA? Should I handle it like a firearm, with a transfer form and recording buyer's ID?

Should I take one look at the thicket of red tape I'm heading for and run screaming for the hills?

Any feedback will be much appreciated.
You might take one look at google...

You might also think of the "thicket of red tape" when you buy one at your local sporting goods store...

Read Quiet's post above this.

Unbelievable, as well as a waste of bandwidth.

If I could live my life all over,
It wouldn't matter anyway,
'Cause I never could stay sober
On the Corpus Christi Bay. Robert Earl Keene

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain
Old 08-29-2014, 11:17 AM

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Yes, the regulatory atmosphere in CA is complex, lots of people don't know the difference between air guns and firearms, and you can't be too careful. I'm doing my due diligence, knowing the law is my responsibility.

I know selling a pellet gun is legal, or at least I'm 99% sure. I do not know if some weird laws have been passed I don't know about, or if there are record keeping requirements. This is why I turned to the Calguns brain trust.

Google was not much help regarding transfers, mostly it pulled up the fictional 'CA bill 1984', which was a prank.

The only regulation I've learned of with air gun sales is age restriction. I'd follow that if there were no such law, it's just common sense. I'll also record the buyer's ID just in case something bad happens and someone comes looking for liability money.

This is about a lead pellet firing match gun, the IZH-46m. Being a single shot breech loader with no magazine, and being about as fast to operate as a black powder gun, it's not very threatening, but CA is a magical land where anything can happen.

While checking this out I found a Calguns thread regarding plinking in one's backyard with an air gun in CA. There were examples of cops being called, and there are city and county ordinances that ban discharge of any weapon, lead or plastic projectile, air or spring powered, in that area. Knowing federal and state law is not enough. The person telling the story didn't get arrested, he was lucky.

Out here, at least in or near the big cities, just showing knowledge of firearms laws is enough to make you a social pariah and cause otherwise civil folks to call you a 'murderer' who 'shoots up the neighborhood' (actual quotes said to me). This is always followed up with 'Sooo, how many guns do you own?', and there's no good answer. If you say zero, you're a liar, if you give a number, you're a 'psycho gun nut'. It is a 100% polarized issue and an adult discussion is simply not possible. This is the environment I live in, you bet I am going to be careful.

In the rest of the state, it's more sane. I've been in a rural farm supply store and seen a really nice display of Daisy air gun products, directed at teaching young people responsible safe shooting - there's even bb rifles with pink furniture for the young ladies. Clearly a different atmosphere prevails out there, though the many state laws still apply.

Last edited by testcode; 08-29-2014 at 11:27 AM..
Old 08-29-2014, 11:38 AM

testcode, I feel your pain.
You are wise to seek such answers prior. As you are aware, many aspects of life in Statist California can be rife with problems. I use an adult air rifle to clean out the ground squirrels in our fruit tree orchard, located on several acres of an unincorporated section of ******** county. I must however, be very careful to never let any of the neighbors observe this, as some might become very excited and yelling "man with a gun". Dealing with the response would likely be very unpleasant at minimum.
Old 08-29-2014, 1:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoThreeOneSix View Post
not talking about the OP, but it's so sad that the people of California even need to ask about the legality of selling a pellet gun. holy ****.
Californians,,,,,
Old 08-29-2014, 3:36 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I can understand someone owning a single shot pellet gun for target shooting, however there is no way people have any need to own one of these military style multi pellet fully semi-automatic assault air guns. They are scary weapons of war and have no business in our neighborhoods.
Old 08-29-2014, 4:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
a pellet is a lead projectile, BB's are the copper or whatever and the plastic ones are airsoft.
BBs are copper plated steel. Easy to pick up with a magnet after they spill on the floor. Just make sure who you sell it to is over 18 and has a IQ high enough not to hurt themselves with it.
Old 08-29-2014, 4:45 PM

Quote:
You can find 6mm bbs for Airsoft in metal, usually aluminum.
Old 08-29-2014, 5:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

+1 for they have to be over 18. That's all I've ever seen, but yeah, I feel you on the paranoia.

My boys shoot Airsoft in the house with the blinds closed... It's a shame really that it's come to this.

BSA Scoutmaster
CGN Contributor
NRA Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither. (paraphrased) - Benjamin Franklin
Old 08-31-2014, 4:56 PM

Maybe check for any extra county or municipal codes for your area. Other than that, it's legal to sell to anyone over 18. You can even ship them across state lines without any hassle provided it's to a place that is legal to own airguns. Pretty much any liberal stronghold will have restrictions. E.G. San Francisco, Sacramento, Los Angeles, New York City, New Jersey, Illinois, and Massachusetts are just some examples off the top of my head. I have purchased, and sold air rifles online a few times.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:08 AM

Default Bobby

I hope that Bobby's comment was tongue in cheek. Otherwise it's such a ridiculous statement that it doesnb't deserve to be aired.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

here's an interesting link about how federal law has prevented our wonderful California legistlature from regulating bb and pellet guns like they do airsoft:

http://www.beemans.net/airguns_prote..._state_reg.htm

Which I found the link for in this:

http://fullyautomaticairgun.blogspot.com/
Old 10-06-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post

You might also think of the "thicket of red tape" when you buy one at your local sporting goods store...

Why so much vitriol? If you don't want to answer the OP's question, then don't answer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINGEDSWORD View Post
I hope that Bobby's comment was tongue in cheek. Otherwise it's such a ridiculous statement that it doesnb't deserve to be aired.
Seriously? Can't you tell when someone is being facetious?
Old 10-07-2014, 4:38 AM

Default You a wise guy, Bobby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I can understand someone owning a single shot pellet gun for target shooting, however there is no way people have any need to own one of these military style multi pellet fully semi-automatic assault air guns. They are scary weapons of war and have no business in our neighborhoods.
I have to admit you got me on this. Made me laugh. Then get embarrassed at self as so gullible

I will watch out for you, Bobby R.

Last edited by MachineGuntongue; 10-07-2014 at 4:41 AM.. Reason: Haha! At least not only one fooled by strong writing skills? Bobby appears to be very persuasive. High Impact satire!
Old 10-07-2014, 7:56 AM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by testcode View Post
Out here, at least in or near the big cities, just showing knowledge of firearms laws is enough to make you a social pariah and cause otherwise civil folks to call you a 'murderer' who 'shoots up the neighborhood' (actual quotes said to me). This is always followed up with 'Sooo, how many guns do you own?', and there's no good answer. If you say zero, you're a liar, if you give a number, you're a 'psycho gun nut'. It is a 100% polarized issue and an adult discussion is simply not possible. This is the environment I live in, you bet I am going to be careful.

In the rest of the state, it's more sane. I've been in a rural farm supply store and seen a really nice display of Daisy air gun products, directed at teaching young people responsible safe shooting - there's even bb rifles with pink furniture for the young ladies. Clearly a different atmosphere prevails out there, though the many state laws still apply.
It is truly shameful what much of this state has become. I am 52 years old and spent the first 23 years of my life in suburban southern California. Back then, things were quite different. BB guns and .22 rifles were rites of passage for young people and nobody wet their pants and called 911 if they saw some kids walking down the street carrying rifles. In fact, 911 didn't even exist then.

I friend who still lives there tells me it is now illegal to shoot a BB gun at a cardboard box in the back yard. Sad.

I have been in rural Nor Cal for nearly 30 years. No restrictions on shooting or openly carrying where I live. Everyone owns firearms. There is no stigma associated with gun ownership. I can shoot in my yard. I can go for a walk with a rifle slung over my shoulder. Waterfowl and upland hunters abound.

Yes, the TSC store has a big Daisy airgun display right by the checkout. They don't sell firearms, but there is a gun store right next door and 3 more within a mile.

I know it isn't much consolation for you people stuck in the nanny enclaves, but there are places where California still exists.
Old 10-07-2014, 7:58 AM
AKA Gurth Brooks
CGN Contributor

Just for kicks.. when you do sell the gun and the buyer hands you the cash, just start cackling like crazy and then run away like the sky is falling. Then leave him a neutral feedback saying he was awkward and kept giving you a frightening gaze like he wanted to eat your face.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

“I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.” - Clint Eastwood
Old 10-07-2014, 8:51 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meety Peety View Post
Just for kicks.. when you do sell the gun and the buyer hands you the cash, just start cackling like crazy and then run away like the sky is falling. Then leave him a neutral feedback saying he was awkward and kept giving you a frightening gaze like he wanted to eat your face.
Only after having "Goodbye Horses" start blasting on your cellphone and blaming the buyer for it.
Old 10-16-2014, 4:38 PM

Not a problem, just make sure they are 18. Other than that, you can sell locally or ship with no problems.
Old 12-08-2014, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishootforblood View Post
What has happened to my country.
You mean the "People's Republic of California"? Been heading this way for a while.
Old 12-08-2014, 8:32 PM
CGSSA Leader

Remind the buyer that if he's not careful he can put an eye out.
Old 12-09-2014, 1:09 AM

Bought my Benjamin Marauder off Amazon . Found the package delivered sitting on my porch the next day ....
Old 12-09-2014, 2:00 AM
Veteran Member

Anytime I go to Big 5 I always look at the display knifes. If someone asks if I need help, I ask them what the wait period is on knifes are in Ca. Their reactions always Crack me up.
Old 12-09-2014, 9:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post

Waste of a bandwidth is replying to something with rude comments when the question has already been answered. That is if you are truly concerned about bandwidth, which I bet you weren't. You just wanted to pour more salt into a wound.