Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 04-23-2016, 10:15 PM

I taught my son when he was six, he's almost twenty nine now. Lives out in Idaho with a sweet girl friend and a modest collection of WWII firearms, and can out shoot me on his good days.
Old 05-31-2016, 2:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy joe View Post
Does she need safety glasses and shooting glasses?
Prescription eyeglasses, then shooting glasses on top to prevent breaking expensive prescription glasses. But I took them out again and let her get away without the extra glasses. All children's glasses are polycarbonate, the extra layer was too awkward.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 05-31-2016, 2:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I visited my friend's property again, they were having a BBQ, so I took the Daisys. His daughter was happy shooting it too (she has a .22, but it would have been too loud, and too many other kids around). And another teen girl was having fun with them too.

This time they were able to (mostly) cock the levers themselves and I found two large cans (Bush's beans) that were steel from the BBQ refuse. I actually managed to punch a BB INTO the can (!!)

The cans were MUCH MUCH more enjoyable for them than tiny holes in paper. The sound of the Plink! and the feedback of the can falling off a fence really made them more fun.

Surprisingly, even Mom got in on the action for a shot or two and helped set them up and was trying to get them to hold the gun properly.

However, they kept forgetting the muzzle. Mostly they were good, but still need some direction. And when I was downrange setting up the can, I saw one of them aiming past me at one of the cans!!! So we still have quite a bit of work there!

To do for next time ...

Cut down, or make replacement stocks (easy, they are wood ... trace them on a piece of wood and cut them out, I think).

Bring a small funnel since filling these daisies with BBS (there is a gate on the barrel near the muzzle, flip open a door and try filling bbs one at a time or risk losing half your BBs) is a PITA!!

Buy another Red Ryder as a loaner. When the other kids showed, up there was too much fighting over which of my girls should give up and share their BB gun. I'd rather spend $30 and end that source of stress.... plus, you know, I need one too right?

I think I'll hang onto any similar sized cans to use as targets and maybe paint them white or yellow or something, so they are easier to aim at. I guess I'll have to find a recipe that calls for beans! LOL!

Oh and I was quite amazed at their ability to actually hit the cans, distance was maybe 10 yards-ish. I didn't even need to coach them on aiming!

Fun time for sure!

Old 05-31-2016, 3:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Some pics ... and before anyone else mentions it, yes, the kid on the other log is sort of in front of the firing line. My bad on this, we corrected it soon after I noticed. Though to be fair he sort of just showed up and sat there, the "range" was very ad-hoc.

Mom got into the action

I mostly don't need to help with cocking ... mostly

Needs some more guidance on stance, though admittedly, the shooting platform/log was really really short. Also, I really need to cut down the stocks so they can hold them properly. They have a tendency also to grab the stock around the cocking lever, instead of putting their hands through it.

Last edited by Lead Waster; 05-31-2016 at 3:14 PM..
Old 05-31-2016, 7:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Very very cool!! Must make dad very happy they are enjoying it.

NRA Patron Member
CRPA 5 yr Member

"...which from their verbosity, their endless tautologies, their involutions of case within case, and parenthesis within parenthesis, and their multiplied efforts at certainty by saids and aforesaids, by ors and by ands, to make them more plain, do really render them more perplexed and incomprehensible, not only to common readers, but to lawyers themselves. " - Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-31-2016, 7:31 PM
<-- Airplane pic !!!!
CGN Contributor

Talking

When I was that age, I was shooting out the barn windows. Just saying.

Old 05-31-2016, 8:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeusa View Post
When I was that age, I was shooting out the barn windows. Just saying.

Must have been pretty cool to have a barn to shoot out of.

NRA Patron Member
CRPA 5 yr Member

"...which from their verbosity, their endless tautologies, their involutions of case within case, and parenthesis within parenthesis, and their multiplied efforts at certainty by saids and aforesaids, by ors and by ands, to make them more plain, do really render them more perplexed and incomprehensible, not only to common readers, but to lawyers themselves. " - Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-07-2016, 3:56 AM

You got a wonderful backyard to tech them shooting.
Old 06-09-2016, 3:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Oh, I wish. THat's my friends place. I can set up cans in my backyard, but I have a fence that would need protection. Even then I'd have to set up cans at only 10 yards or so, but enough for BBs.

At his place, we can actually shoot rifles off the porch ... he has 34 acres in the hills. Technically if he could find the right spot, he could make a nice 100-200 yard rifle range!

Old 06-09-2016, 9:00 PM

way fun. Great job. One thing though, that young man is way too far forward, past the 180 plane. Back up and stay safe. Especially since you said they tend to muzzle everything. Don't want them muzzling the boy!
Also, looks like they are getting better at holding correctly. Looking at the first pic from the first time out, it does not look like the gun is too big, it looks like she just needs to bring the support hand back further and let the strong hand wrap around the stock a little.
I'm going to start another thread for
your best targets for fun shooting some great ideas here, lets see what others have got for ideas.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:03 PM
CGSSA Associate

Love the Red Ryders best gun to learn your dope.......I shoot mine everyday.......can't get the sniper out of me��
Old 06-26-2016, 1:09 PM

Daisy's buck bb rifle has a short stock . Only $20 at Walmart .