Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 07-27-2014, 6:38 PM

Default Airsoft new law

Has anyone out there heard anything about California passing a law the all airsoft sold in 2015 has to be made of clear plastic and metal airsoft guns will no longer be sold? Any truth to
Old 07-27-2014, 6:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Have you been talking to an airsoft salesman?
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 07-27-2014, 6:50 PM
Calguns Addict

I would tend to not believe this one. Although this is Ca.
Old 07-27-2014, 7:22 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otisb View Post
Has anyone out there heard anything about California passing a law the all airsoft sold in 2015 has to be made of clear plastic and metal airsoft guns will no longer be sold? Any truth to
Never heard of it.

There is currently a bill (SB199) working it's way through the CA legislature that would modify existing CA laws concerning imitation firearms, but it does not have any provisions that would mandate what you are asking about.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 07-27-2014, 7:26 PM

never heard of it either... do you have any more info about it?
Old 07-27-2014, 7:40 PM
Calguns Addict

In related news, I love my new Weihrauch .22 HW95L! Highly recommended!
Old 07-27-2014, 10:40 PM

Look up "SB 199".
Old 07-27-2014, 10:48 PM

i'm not a lawyer nor very smart but it seems say that they just can't be sold to minors. it doesn't say anything about not being able to posses or use.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:20 PM

Yeah I haven't heard of this. Cite sources OP?
Old 07-27-2014, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member

See Ron
You did ask. They were only following your instructions. Next time be a bit more careful in how you phrase your posts. If you give people a straight line like that, this is about the level of response you are bound to get. Just be glad you didn't post "Date this rifle"... Those pictures are usually very disturbing.

-Mb
Old 08-07-2014, 11:54 AM

It is SB 199 and you are affected if you have a 6mm or 8mm air gun. Basically, they will be banned unless they are painted various colors to indicate they are air guns. Regular 4.5mm air guns are exempted from this bill, for now. See link below.

http://nramemberscouncils.com/legs.s...b199&year=2014
Old 08-07-2014, 1:36 PM

Excuse the ignorance but what does amended mean?

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...201320140SB199

So whats the present status of SB199?
Old 08-07-2014, 1:42 PM

Basically, "amended" means changed. Text was either added, deleted, or changed in some form.

The mark-ups reflect the changes, but do not necessarily reflect when those changes were made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed-Citizen View Post
Excuse the ignorance but what does amended mean?

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...201320140SB199

So whats the present status of SB199?
Old 08-07-2014, 2:23 PM

SB199 is still pending a vote of approval by the state assembly and approval by the governor. It has not become law. It is working its way through the political process in Sacramento. You guys should be writing your state assemblymen and state senators for a no vote on SB199.

Last edited by ptalar; 08-07-2014 at 3:15 PM..
Old 08-09-2014, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptalar View Post
SB199 is still pending a vote of approval by the state assembly and approval by the governor. It has not become law. It is working its way through the political process in Sacramento. You guys should be writing your state assemblymen and state senators for a no vote on SB199.
http://assembly.ca.gov/assemblymembers

This is what I wrote to my local assembly member:

"Dear <insert name>, I'm writing to you concerning SB199 "BB device" bill. According to the latest amendment, the bill will specifically ban 6mm and 10mm BB/pellet devices that resemble firearms in color and appearance. While the bill has good intentions in preventing accidental shootings, it's really badly written and does not recognize the reality that the gun industry has already been selling real firearms in pink, purple, and white for years to attract women buyers. From the police officer's perspective, there is no way to distinguish someone holding a pink-colored airsoft gun versus another holding a pink colored real firearm. Please feel free to visit your local Turner's sportsmen store and ask to see pink guns.

This bill, if it becomes law, will simply infringe on the freedoms of airsoft players and push airsoft manufacturers to make airsoft guns of a different caliber to dodge the law. Forcing all BB/pellet guns to abide by toy-like colors scheme is also very dangerous because adult air rifles are powerful hunting weapons that are legal to hunt deer in many States, and should absolutely NOT look like a toy gun.

I believe that ultimately, to prevent tragic incidents of children being accidentally shot while playing with air soft guns, is making the parents legally responsible. If the parents should choose to purchase realistic looking airsoft guns for their children and allow them to play without direct adult supervision, then the parents should be held liable for any negative consequences.

A responsible parent who allows their children to play with realistic (firearm) looking airsoft guns should teach their children proper safety, keeping the airsoft guns in LOCKED CABINETS (same as firearms) at home to prevent unattended access, and only allow their under-age children to play under direct adult supervision.

Thank you for your consideration,"

Last edited by momopi; 08-09-2014 at 9:57 AM..
Old 08-09-2014, 10:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

They already made up their minds...but doesn't hurt to try.
Old 08-09-2014, 6:16 PM

This is true. It's a bill created because of the kid the police shot carrying an airsoft ak-47.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/24/justic...le-boy-killed/
Old 08-09-2014, 10:01 PM

they dont want people to have firearms. If you remove the "toy" guns it lessens the chances that kids will grow up and have real ones. This started in the 70's when toy guns were pretty real looking..and you rarely had a cop shoot a kid..if ever..then the cops went all SWAT on us and now even a orange cap gun can get a kid shot...shoot first, then shoot again and then ask questions..when youre dead...the new cop mentality...
Old 08-15-2014, 9:17 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

^Yup, the cap guns even had toy bullets. You remove the bullet from the shell, then insert paper cap and assemble. You then load the rounds in the cap gun.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvs762 View Post
they dont want people to have firearms. If you remove the "toy" guns it lessens the chances that kids will grow up and have real ones. This started in the 70's when toy guns were pretty real looking..and you rarely had a cop shoot a kid..if ever..then the cops went all SWAT on us and now even a orange cap gun can get a kid shot...shoot first, then shoot again and then ask questions..when youre dead...the new cop mentality...
Haha I remember when I was like 5 (born in the 80's) My parents bought me a Rambo watergun and it was the sweetest watergun ever. It was a M16 with a box mag and you put the water in the box max and it was electric. Supersoaker had nothing on this thing, it even had a bipod. But you can't find anything cool like that anymore in a toystore. Haha well fastforward to now and I'm in the army and I've qualified on the M16 and M249, most of my firearms safety training has been in the military though, if only everyone were required to serve in the military maybe everyone will be a little more gunsmart, well maybe not everyone...

You'd think that parents will teach their kids about guns even since if your under 18 you can't buy an airsoft gun without your parents. =/
Old 08-30-2014, 3:45 PM

What what I can see, the bill now only requires the muzzle and the trigger guard to be orange? and the pistol grip to be wrapped with orange electrical tape?

Not too bad
Old 08-30-2014, 4:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

10 round mags and bullet buttons

Coming soon
Old 08-30-2014, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenSoul View Post
10 round mags and bullet buttons

Coming soon
Dont forget Microstamping.
Old 08-30-2014, 4:16 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Yes, and if they wanted to, they can sell guns with these color mods and a can of black paint or replacement parts that were black, if they so choose.

From a personal ownership perspective, nothing is banned.

So SB199 is worthless.
Old 08-30-2014, 4:21 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper781 View Post
Yes, and if they wanted to, they can sell guns with these color mods and a can of black paint or replacement parts that were black, if they so choose.

So SB199 is worthless.
Worthless? This made everyone up on the hill happy, pat each other's backs, high fives all around and felt like they did something good for the children.

Oh Wait...yup, pretty much worthless.
Old 08-30-2014, 6:24 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper781 View Post

So SB199 is worthless.
Keep in mind...
It is already illegal in CA to change the colorization of "imitation firearms". [PC 20150(a)]

Penal Code 20150
(a) Any person who changes, alters, removes, or obliterates any coloration or markings that are required by any applicable state or federal law or regulation, for any imitation firearm, or any device described in subdivision (b) of Section 16700, in a way that makes the imitation firearm or device look more like a firearm, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(b) This section does not apply to a manufacturer, importer, or distributor of imitation firearms.
(c) This section does not apply to lawful use in theatrical productions, including motion pictures, television, and stage productions.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).