Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

Default Where do you stand in a shooting bay?

I realized the other day that I stand much further rearward in a shooting bay than most people seem to do.

Which do you prefer:

1: "belly to the bar" so the brass hits the guy next to you?

2: "muzzle over the table" so the brass bounces off the wall and lands on your neck?

My range mixes .22LR pistol shooters and AR Pistol shooters and 30-06 rifle shooters, so sometimes being a bit further back helps avoid muzzle blast as well.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:49 PM

2: I pickup my brass for reloading. Pistol brass heat doesn’t bother my skin. Rifle brass on the other hand...
Old 01-18-2018, 12:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I stand pretty close to the counter...the brass hits the divider. I would collect brass if I was a member and had all day lol. That hour goes by so damn fast I just shoot as much as possible....I need to get a membership someplace
CGN CONTRIBUTOR
Old 01-18-2018, 1:24 PM
Veteran Member

Default Where do you stand in a shooting bay?

I stand far enough in at my indoor range so if a wingnut discharges a round perpendicular it either hits the armor steel divider and frags said wingnut, or would pass behind me. Fortunately where I shoot there aren't any wingnuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2018, 1:52 PM

I stand as close as I would to a standing-only bar with a drink. Arms out are over the table, waist is near but back a few inches from the bar. Distance to place the gun down on the surface without having to step forward or back, only lowering my arms.
Old 01-18-2018, 1:59 PM
Veteran Member

The reason I noticed is, due to my height, if I extend the pistol all the way out and take an "aggressive forward bend" at the waist such that the pistol is over the table... my *** is basically sticking out the back of the shooting booth.
Old 01-18-2018, 2:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I’d like to stand near the good looking woman to show how good I am with my gun.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 01-18-2018, 2:17 PM

I stand somewhere in the middle. My brass hits the divider and bounces back into my bay.
Old 01-18-2018, 2:24 PM
Veteran Member

I like consistency, so I stand touching, or very near to, the front table.

The brass doesn't hit anyone.

-

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017
Old 01-18-2018, 2:43 PM

I usually stand close to the table, and my brass (which I do not retrieve) ejects into the next lane. I don't like it bouncing around, popping into my bag or into a hoodie or something. I'd hate for a case to be discovered outside the range by a precious California snowflake.

I have moved back in the bay when there is someone next to me on my right. I usually go to the range during the week in the late a.m. Seems not so busy then.
Old 01-18-2018, 2:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If I am shooting to impress my non-gun friends I lean into the table for extra support

Can't do it with my gun buddies they will always call me out for cheating!
Old 01-18-2018, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeexposure View Post
I usually stand close to the table, and my brass (which I do not retrieve) ejects into the next lane. I don't like it bouncing around, popping into my bag or into a hoodie or something. I'd hate for a case to be discovered outside the range by a precious California snowflake.

I have moved back in the bay when there is someone next to me on my right. I usually go to the range during the week in the late a.m. Seems not so busy then.
Funny you should mention about a hoodie....a friend of mine (really) went to the range with me. The next day he had to fly out of LAX. Needless to say when TSA found a 45acp shell in his hoodie, it caused him some grief.
Old 01-18-2018, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROKS View Post
I’d like to stand near the good looking woman to show how good I am with my gun.
Me too! But they usually end up laughing at my “prowess “.
Old 01-18-2018, 5:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Either to the far right or far left to establish needed swing clearance -

Depends on which way I'm curving the bullet...
Old 01-18-2018, 5:51 PM

Pistol is over the table, no reason to crowd it. Depending on the range, I may stand further back if I am doing holster work.
Old 01-18-2018, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARDude View Post
Needless to say when TSA found a 45acp shell in his hoodie, it caused him some grief.
TSA in Nashville didn’t care that my rollaboard had a handful of 50BMG cases in it...
Old 01-18-2018, 9:26 PM

My brass lands back in the box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-18-2018, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARDude View Post
Funny you should mention about a hoodie....a friend of mine (really) went to the range with me. The next day he had to fly out of LAX. Needless to say when TSA found a 45acp shell in his hoodie, it caused him some grief.

I had a similar story in mind when I wrote that.

The range officer at an indoor range I used to shoot at experienced the same thing. A shell in the hoodie going through TSA is NOT a good thing!
Old 01-18-2018, 9:57 PM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

I think it is less about where you stand and more about where the muzzle is.

Personally I would prefer that the guy next to me doesnt have his muzzle so far back that a little turn and squeeze of a trigger will place a round in my arms, or if something happens to his gun I don't get hit with shrapnel. But I mostly shoot outdoor with no dividers.

Especially painful when the guy standing back and shooting a revolver with a mistimed cylinder. Not only do you get his with the Shockwave of gasses but you get slivers of his bullets sticking in your neck and face. I would rather it be my hands...

As for touching the table, I see a lot of people propping their knee or shin against the table for stability, some lean onto the table with all of their weight, and some just lay their gut onto the table, all to make it easier to stabilize. I think it makes for a horrible practice. Might as well have a seat and lay your arms onto the bench. Doesn't help learn stability and proper (comfortable and productive) stance at all.

At indoor ranges I don't concern myself with where my brass is going (over the divider, etc) unless I am specifically diagnosing ejection problems or tunning ejection patterns. If I am outdoor, and I know my gun ejects 3 o'clock I will take pauses and let shooters on my right have uninterrupted trigger time and I will shoot when they stop or reload. However, if someone comes and squeezes between me and the shooter on my right and starts pushing my stuff around, the 3 o'clock ejection gun will be running continously. I don't like rude people.

My rule of thumb is muzzle forward of anyone on my sides, no bracing against the table or dividers.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:21 PM
<-- Airplane pic !!!!
CGN Contributor

Away from the fat guys.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:00 PM

As a fellow BFG, my big tummy is right next to the table. I don't let it touch, but it's right on it. Fully extended and leaning forward, my arms are way past the firing line. Since I always try to get speed-reload practice in, I make sure I am as far forward as possible to minimize damage to others if I happen to have a vertical ND. Sometimes I've worried about being shot by other shooters in the arms/hands because of how far forward I am.

One of the last times I shot, a neighbor asked if I was shooting handloads because the rounds out of my G26 were blowing lead/copper shrapnel toward him (and my own arms are just covered with frags). I figured it most likely has to do with how far forward I position myself. I always use double ear-pro, so muzzle blasts from being forward aren't so much of an issue, unless they are shooting braked 7.62x54r or .308s then it feels like a simultaneous slap in the face and a punch to each ear.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:18 PM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitruc View Post
Fully extended and leaning forward, my arms are way past the firing line. Since I always try to get speed-reload practice in, I make sure I am as far forward as possible to minimize damage to others if I happen to have a vertical ND.
Yup, ^^^^, far more important than where the brass lands and where you butt is...

So far every indoor range I have been to I see the bullet holes in the walls and ceiling pretty close to the tables. If those shooters were standing back, those holes would be in the dividers.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitruc View Post
Since I always try to get speed-reload practice in, I make sure I am as far forward as possible to minimize damage to others if I happen to have a vertical ND. Sometimes I've worried about being shot by other shooters in the arms/hands because of how far forward I am.
If you are doing combat reloads with your hands that far forward, are you dropping empty mags past the bench and onto the floor in the firing lane?

Personally I don't like doing combat reloads at the range as I am worried about dropping a mag off the bench.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:58 AM

Pistol Indoors: Far right and last lane of firing line. Standing near the left side facing the target just ever slightly forward so brass hits side wall and lands next to me for later collection.

Rifle Indoors: Far right and last lane of firing line. Standing in the middle with the AR muzzle about a foot from the table edge. Brass ejects 3 o’clock lands on floor for later collection.

Outdoors: The same; I try to take the far right and last lane so I bother no one.
Occassionally, hot brass or steel casing will fly my way from the shooter to my left, but i don’t mind the distraction. It helps me train. At the end of each set, I collect all the brass landing adjacent to me from the shooter to my left and mine as well.
Old 01-19-2018, 1:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMR View Post
2: I pickup my brass for reloading. Pistol brass heat doesn’t bother my skin. Rifle brass on the other hand...
Ditto, me too. Plus I like to be at the far right side so that my brass stays with me ... and so does the brass from the guy to my left! If you are at the left side, your brass flies into the middle of the room and other people might sweep it forwards.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 01-19-2018, 2:26 PM

I holster draw at my indoor range so i give myself enough space to feel comfortable
Old 01-20-2018, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Scholar View Post
If you are doing combat reloads with your hands that far forward, are you dropping empty mags past the bench and onto the floor in the firing lane?

Personally I don't like doing combat reloads at the range as I am worried about dropping a mag off the bench.
I always bring it "into my workspace", about 1 foot in front of my face without obscuring my view of the target. The mag-drop happens in between being fully extended and in my workspace. Sometimes my mag will drop off the table in front of me. I just use the brass broom to get it back to me if necessary. I also bring like 10 mags to the range with me so temporarily losing one or two isn't a big deal.
Old 01-20-2018, 3:33 PM

I’m more concerned where people’s lead flys than where their brass lands.
Old 01-20-2018, 3:57 PM

Good question, every indoor range are difference so I just stood where my ejected shell does not flies to the next booth. That's it, it's simple.
Old 01-20-2018, 5:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I go off hours and get on the far left or right, which ever is furthest away from the next person.

People bother me when I'm trying to concentrate. If someone stands behind me to watch a couple rounds from the .32 Tomcat right back into their face makes them skurry away.
Old 01-21-2018, 3:50 PM

I prefer to make it rain brass on my neighbor.
Old 01-21-2018, 4:15 PM

In the middle, within easy reach of whatever I am shooting.