Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-18-2018, 4:11 PM
To be or not to be
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy43 View Post
I am in the market to purchase a new centerfire pistol/revolver. Due to my age (70) and physical issues I am wanting to purchase a pistol/revolver that has low recoil. I do have a Bersa Thunder that I find is hard for me to manage the recoil. I am considering a 357 revolver (will shoot only 38 spl ammo), a 9mm or a .45 acp.

Cost is not really an issue but not wanting to spend crazy $$$ either. I prefer hammer fired but not necessary. Thanks in advance for any advice and comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy43 View Post
I am leaning towards the GP100 or SP101, just something I like about revolvers and their weight although still haven't decided yet.
Lots of good advice already but no mention of the S&W Model 327 TRR8 chambered for .357 Mag/.38 Spl.
It's on the roster and features an 8 shot cylinder and has a removable light rail. The light is forward of the cylinder gap so I'd be careful about putting hands/fingers on light while shooting. Alternatively you could mount a light switch behind the cylinder.

It comes out of their Performance Center and may be more pricey but it will be top notch. My LGS has one for $1289. I've seen them go for less than $1000 on CalGuns.

Stainless steel cylinder and barrel (5") on scandium frame finished in matte black chambered for .357 Mag/.38 Spl
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...model-327-trr8
If you end up seriously considering a 9mm or 45 pistol make sure you are able to rack the slide comfortably. I've found the SA 1911 Target Loaded in 9mm to be the easiest to rack. The CZs are pretty stiff.

Good luck to you!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Last edited by iambic; 01-19-2018 at 10:43 AM..
Old 01-18-2018, 9:29 PM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

My softest shooting semi is the Beretta M9 (92FS) Its a pu$$sycat, just the easiest, and accurate, too.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:03 PM

Izzy43--- I have a 4" Ruger GP100 and a 6" S&W 686; my best shooter.
.38Spcl in either of them is quite mild, as both guns are quite hefty.
I haven't yet shot a Ruger SP101, but I REALLY like the way it feels in my hand.
A little lighter than the GP100, so it'll have a bit more recoil, but I doubt it would be bad.

Good luck!
Old 01-18-2018, 10:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 559BearDown View Post
A Ruger GP 100 will make shooting .38 special a piece of cake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarosa View Post
As an older guy myself I have come to really appreciate older K frame S&W revolvers. A 4 or 6 inch barrel helps with recoil. You can load them light as you need, or load them heavy for defense. A Model 10, 13, 14, 15 or 19 would be perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
My softest shooting semi is the Beretta M9 (92FS) Its a pu$$sycat, just the easiest, and accurate, too.
For a revolver, a .357 frame with .38 special loads is probably your best bet. My wife has arthritis in her hands and has trouble racking the slide on most of my semi auto pistols. She shoots my .357 Model 66 with no issues.

The only semi auto that she enjoys shooting is my Beretta 92F in 9mm. It’s a heavy steel frame and the springs aren’t as stiff as my Glock 19, or my S&W M&P pistols.

The .380 round in most pistols is much snappier than most 9mm rounds because most .380 pistols are smaller. I have fired .380 thru a CZ that wasn’t too bad.

OP, find a range that rents revolvers in .38/.357 and give them a try with .38 loads and see how you like them. There are some excellent .38 loads for home defense out there. Also, try out a Beretta 92 pistol. Very reliable pistol and easier to manipulate than a lot of the new striker fire pistols. I’m not familiar enough to comment on the CZ pistols in 9mm.

Maybe you can link up with a CalGunner nearby for assistance also.

*** Update ***

When I’m in California, I’m just down the hill from you in San Jacinto. We might be able to meet at the Beaumont Indoor Range and you could shoot a few of my guns to see which ones would work for you. I’ll be in Arizona for at least another week.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor

Last edited by Ron-Solo; 01-18-2018 at 10:22 PM..
Old 01-18-2018, 10:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yep.. and the weight will help with recoil.. and it will last forever.. lol
"Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Theodore Roosevelt

Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA, Guardian Front Sight
Old 01-19-2018, 2:49 AM

I have a LCR-X 3" and shoot my brothers GP100 quite often. I would go with a Smith and Wesson with 8 rounds of 38 special. I would spend the extra cash for 2-3 more round capacity. LCR model line is great for carrying but 5 rounds is not enough for home defense. GP100 is a brick and not worth it for light loads.

I would buy
https://www.turners.com/smith-and-we...8-357mag-10737

If that is to much I would just go with a rock island M206.
Old 01-19-2018, 7:55 AM

As many have said, a .357mag like the Ruger GP100 shooting .38spec is probably the lightest. However, if you want a pistol, the Sig P238 is good as well.

The downside to the GP100 is the gun's weight.

Rent a couple or borrow from friends.
Old 01-19-2018, 8:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOdessa View Post
You may want to look at Ruger SP101 .327 Fed Magnum (05773). From what you are describing, this may work for you just fine as range toy/self defense gun with low recoil. it is on the roster.

I was going to suggest this as well. You can shoot 32 H&R ammo in it or even .32 acp but you have to eject the cases one at a time with a dowel or pencil.
Old 01-19-2018, 9:51 AM

Not sure I'd buy a 327 considering the ammo issues. Seems to me 38 special is a no brainer from the standpoint of ammo availability.

I have several 38 cal revolvers.
4" GP100
5" 627PC
4"(?) 19-3
2" 442 j frame

While I love my smiths, the ruger gets the most action. Chews up whatever you feed it and recoils the lightest. It's also kind of in a "beater" category compared to the others so I don't mind as much carrying it around in a holster and giving it "character."
Old 01-19-2018, 10:02 AM

If you live in LA, I can take you to a range (that I'm a member at) with a wide range of rental guns. I also have several Glocks you could try.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ora Serrata View Post
HK USP. Hammer fired, can be bought in 9mm or .45, and has a recoil reduction system utilizing a buffer. Lot's a deals in the CG marketplace for nice condition used ones.

+1 on the Sig P238. The thing has little recoil and is a great carry gun!
I was going to suggest a full-sized H&K USP in 9mm as well if you are worried about recoil and want a hammer fired autoloader (.45 USP has light recoil as well, with just a bit more compared to a 9mm). The USP 9mm is the lightest recoil gun that I personally own. I would probably look into full-sized steel framed 9mm as well.

I'm not a revolver guy and have extremely limited experience with them so others can recommend there.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:01 AM

357, 45 and even the 9mm. Why even consider these if you are recoil sensitive? Since you indicate a fondness for a revolver and it will be for range play and nightstand duty I'd suggest the heaviest gun you can handle OR a 22cal pistol. I think it is S&W that makes a nice looking 10? round revolver. IMHO using the 22. you'll be able to put more lead into the bad guy in the middle of the night than you will with the 357. Plus you won't be blind from the flash of the 357 and have blood running out of your ears from the 1 boooom! Not a revolver but easy and fun is the Browning Buckmark 22. OK let the naysayers begin
Old 01-20-2018, 9:29 AM

Quote:
^^^^THIS^^^^
/thread

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams

Last edited by navydad2010; 01-20-2018 at 10:20 AM..
Old 01-28-2018, 10:06 PM

If you want to go with a revolver, choose one you can rent, and make sure the double action trigger pull isn't a problem for you. When my Dad handed me his S&W 637 for the first time my reaction was "what the hell is wrong with this thing?" And I'm not 70. No such issues with any DA/SA pistols on the long and heave first trigger pull.

If you don't like recoil, want a revolver, (and don't mind spending $$& on ammo) maybe a 327 federal magnum would be a good choice?