Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2017, 11:03 PM
GunMan0808 GunMan0808 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 168
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default Can I use a 80% to build a AR pistol? [ HOW TO info ]

If i can, will i need those silly fin wraps and muzzle brakes like the rifle versions?

What gives?
Old 03-08-2017, 11:07 PM
Quiet's Avatar
Quiet Quiet is offline
retired Goon
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Bernardino County
Posts: 22,509
iTrader: 10 / 100%

2017 AR style pistol master thread

First issue... (making a CA legal AR style pistol)

The handgun needs to be made into a dimensionally compliant bolt-action single-shot pistol or a dimensionally compliant break-top/open single-shot pistol.

Because the firearm can never had been semi-auto prior to creation, you will most likely need to build your own upper, instead of buying an existing upper and modifying it. This is because existing uppers are typically test fired by the manufacturer as a semi-auto.

In addition to installing a 0 round mag/sled that can not be removed without disassembling the firearm's action or a 0 round mag/sled that is permanently attached to the firearm or a solid magazine, the following must be done depending on the type of upper...

If the AR style pistol normally operates via direct impingement, then:
1. Do not install a gas tube.
2. Do not install a gas block or plug the gas block.
This makes it a straight pull bolt-action single-shot.

If the AR style pistol normally operates via gas-piston, then:
1. Do not install a gas piston.
2. Do not install a gas block or plug the gas block.
This makes it a straight pull bolt-action single-shot.

If the AR style pistol normally operates via blowback, then:
1. Install a dowel in the buffer tube, which prevents the buffer from moving.
^ For rimfire blowback... install a limiter/black behind the bolt carrier group, in order to prevent it from cycling.
This makes it a break-top/open single-shot.

The upper will also need a minimum 6" barrel length and the handgun will need a minimum 10.5" overall length.

Second issue... (conversion from exempt handgun to unsafe handgun)

Because of definition changes relating to CA's "home built firearm" laws, it may no longer be legal to convert a dimensionally compliant bolt-action single-shot pistol or dimensionally complaint break-top single-shot pistol into a semi-auto pistol.
{wait and see, while lawyers do battle}

Third issue... (required markings)

In order to register it or transfer it, it must be properly engraved/marked.

Markings must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch.
Markings must use Roman letters (A, B, C, etc.) and Arabic numerals (1, 2, 3, etc).

Markings must include: [all this complies with Federal requirements]
1) Serial Numbers (can not be just a name, must contain numerals)*
2) Model
3) Caliber
4) Manufacturer's name
5) City & State where the Manufacturer is located

Since you made the receiver, you are the manufacturer.
So, your name (first & last) and city/state needs to be engraved on it.

If you do not properly mark/engrave the firearm before 07-01-2018, then you must apply to CA DOJ BOF for the required markings for home built firearms. [PC 29180(b)]

Starting 01-01-2019, possession of a home built firearm without identifying information will be illegal. [PC 29180(f)]
In addition, it will also be illegal to transfer home built firearms, unless it is to surrender them to law enforcement. [PC 29180(d)]

This only applies to AR style pistol made before 2017...
The finalized CA DOJ assault weapons regulations have described Firearm Manufactured By Unlicensed Subject (FMBUS) and what is needed for them to be registered as assault weapons.
FMBUS equates to any "home built (80%)" firearm and requires a CA DOJ issued identification number in order to be registered.
In order to obtain the CA DOJ identification number for assault weapons registration of a "home built" firearm, you must complete the following:
1. Apply to CA DOJ for an identification number.
2. Once you receive the CA DOJ identification number, you must engrave it onto the firearm.
3. After you engrave it, you must submit proof of compliance to CA DOJ.
4. After CA DOJ accepts your proof of compliance, you can now register your "home built" firearm as an assault weapon (last day to so being 06-30-2018).

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 08-09-2017 at 5:18 PM..
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 4:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host., the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.