Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 07-21-2018, 8:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Default The thrill is gone

Not long ago i did not go a week without buying ammo or looking at my next gun at a gun store.
All the BS going on and regulations in CA have made my hobbies collecting and shooting less fun. I no longer go to gun stores and i will only shoot what i reload. Not a penny will go to the state from me. I still have guns and will shoot but the rest of it no.
My main interest was collecting old military rifles and thanks to the UN etc that market has dried up. No more cheap surplus ammo.I will not pay a fee next year to buy ammo and no more DROS & sales tax money from me.
Old 07-21-2018, 8:34 AM

inb4 "get checked out for low T" comment
Old 07-21-2018, 8:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Don’t feel bed bIker, I haven’t scooped up any food in probably 6 mts but then again a 20’ container will last a long time.
Arms I’m still seeking a few surplus rifles and S&W 610

“Silence makes cowards out of the best of men” –Abraham Lincoln

🇺🇸 ⚔️ 🦅

Wounded Knee is the prime example of why the Second Amendment exists, and why we shouldn’t be in such a hurry to surrender our Right to Bear Arms.
Without the Second Amendment we have no way to defend ourselves and our families.
Old 07-21-2018, 8:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm waiting on our move to Arizona to purchase anything else. Can't wait to see how it feels to live in a free state.
Old 07-21-2018, 8:59 AM
Veteran Member

That’s the whole goal of CA politics. To make it hard for you to enjoy your hobby. Regulate the firearms business out of existence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2018, 9:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I feel the same way. Too bad our state of CA is being flushed down the toilet in many different ways.
Old 07-21-2018, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTABIKER View Post
Not long ago i did not go a week without buying ammo or looking at my next gun at a gun store.
All the BS going on and regulations in CA have made my hobbies collecting and shooting less fun. I no longer go to gun stores and i will only shoot what i reload. Not a penny will go to the state from me. I still have guns and will shoot but the rest of it no.
My main interest was collecting old military rifles and thanks to the UN etc that market has dried up. No more cheap surplus ammo.I will not pay a fee next year to buy ammo and no more DROS & sales tax money from me.
I hear and feel you. 33 firearms, 30,000+ in ammo, plenty of holsters, scopes, magazines and other accessories. Last rifle I purchased was before registration. Last handgun 6 months ago. Last ammo purchase, before internet purchases stopped.

I too shoot less, a lot less. a decade ago I would shoot weekly. Today I may get out 2-4 times a year.

I look over the marketplace, Turners adds, Gun Broker adds but see nothing I want or am willing to overpay for.

I too am shooting only what I reload. Using the same brass over and over.
What I am shooting is more .22LR. I have a rifle in .22LR in all actions and conversions for my pistols.
Old 07-21-2018, 9:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I understand. I haven't DROS'ed a firearm since a buying frenzy late 2013.
I haven't shot factory ammo since last year, only reloads, then I'm careful to pick up the brass. All my EBR's are featureless. I don't want to have any interaction with this state government. I've owned, traded, bought & sold guns for the last 50 years and expect to always be a gun owner. That said I'm ready to thin the herd. Just haven't figured out how to go about it.
CRPA Member

....."He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance."

Declaration of Independence, 1776
Old 07-21-2018, 9:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yup, same here, zero firearm-related purchases in CA since 2017. Not going to buy boring old guns. Just gonna use up what ammo I have in CA before finally cutting the cord.

My purchases in NV, however, has picked up the slack. Let NV enjoy my sales tax money.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 07-21-2018, 9:32 AM

Quote:
i will only shoot what i reload.

No more cheap surplus ammo.I will not pay a fee next year to buy ammo and no more DROS & sales tax money from me.
The problem is not about the "thrill" it's all about you being committed to "load" ammo for your rifles

Stop complaining and buy more components

Last edited by OpenSightsOnly; 07-21-2018 at 9:34 AM.. Reason: can't type lol
Old 07-21-2018, 9:37 AM
Veteran Member

I get ya notabiker. There used to be great ranges, and great gunshows to go visit..today nothing. It seems like the only gun related things I've bought the past few years are parts to keep me from going to jail. I still get out a few times a year, but at that rate, I'll never run out of hoarded ammo.
Old 07-21-2018, 9:44 AM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Califpatriot

inb4 "get checked out for low T" comment

Quote:
BIKER

I hear you, and! I have the cure:

Gitcherself a .44 Special whirlenpopper. Not a .44 Mag in which you can expel Specials, but a dedicated, .44-Special chambering, and handload a 250 grain LSWC or LFN to 1000 fps and go HAVE SOME FUN!

That, and/or work up a good .41 Magnum cast bo0lit load for a Marlin lever carbine. All that heavy, obsolete milsurp has tainted your mind! son.

Go out and shoot something fun!

I mostly jest with you, but with some sincerity. It's just a phase you're going through. Yes, you may be shooting less number of rounds, but the quality of your shooting will not be diminished; on the contrary, it will be enhanced.

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked
Old 07-21-2018, 9:47 AM

I don't shoot as much either, but there are a few firearms that I am still interested in purchasing down the road, but it's so off the radar that I don't forsee any issues acquiring them. I'd like to have a higher end double-barrel shotgun, and maybe a Sharps and a real Colt SAA, but that's about it.

I'm thinking about taking up model railroading. It's something that I have always been interested in. I'm sure California will find a way to f**k that up too however.
“Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpation” - James Madison, 1788

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Don't worry scro!" - Dr. Lexus
Old 07-21-2018, 9:52 AM

I stopped buying when they started registering long guns. I have enough of everything else to last me as long as I live, so no more money for C. I, like you have just lost the feeling. Sure there are still items that I would like to have, but I won't be buying anything here. I truly feel bad for those who have no other choice but to live here. I know its not going to get any better and lets face it as great as these small battles won are, its a very long long road back to anything close to 1988.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:01 AM
Calguns Addict

OP, you and others like you are doing exactly what the gungrabbers want you to do; stop buying guns and ammo. Thats exactly the whole intent behind these rediculous laws, to harrass, intimidate, and make it as difficult as possible for law abiding citizens to buy guns and ammo. I guess they are winning.

Don't argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I don't respond to posts/posters that aren't worth responding to.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:03 AM
Calguns Addict

I have not been shooting in at least 6 months which is the longest time I have ever gone since I started when I was in grammar school. This is mostly because I have been taking care of my dad who is very close to dying now. I have to drive in to see him at least every other day. Also it is too hot for me to sit out in the sun shooting as I do not handle the heat like I did when younger. Then there is the cost as I have had some very large bills come in which makes the money tight on a small fixed income.

However after my dad passes(not in a hurry) and I get the bills paid I want to hit the range often as I once did and maybe even get to go hunt. I would also like to buy a 6.5X300W and reloading stuff for myself. I would also like to buy/build hunting rifles for my grandchildren. I have time since they are 3 and 7 months old. I already got them 22RF rifles.

I agree the state continues to make as many hurtles and obstacles for buying firearms/ammo as they can to discourage people from doing so.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Pile it high and deep - reloading supplies and .22LR. I agree with no extra $ going into state coffers. I am going to buy one of Glock Store SS80 Glock 42 80% frames for my place in NV.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:12 AM
Calguns Addict

I polish and ride my motorcycle more now. I still like my guns, reloading and shooting once a month with my C&R buddies.
Got my first and only AR about six months ago [ S&W M&P 15 } from a calguner . Spent time and money accessorizing to my taste and did all the legal featureless mods
I have three 223 rifles with scopes that i reload for. that and my 1911 will be my focus in the future. I do not reload 45ACP cuzz i got plenty but i do save the brass just in case
CA native
F CA
Old 07-21-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air View Post
I don't shoot as much either, but there are a few firearms that I am still interested in purchasing down the road, but it's so off the radar that I don't forsee any issues acquiring them. I'd like to have a higher end double-barrel shotgun, and maybe a Sharps and a real Colt SAA, but that's about it.

I'm thinking about taking up model railroading. It's something that I have always been interested in. I'm sure California will find a way to f**k that up too however.

Right now I'm building model armor but I have a grip of HO railroad stuff. Just don't have the room to set it all up right now.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:25 AM
Calguns Addict

I've been shooting for over 50 years; I've had several phases where other things took precedence in my life and shooting firearms took the back burner for years at a time. The restrictions that California puts on us can certainly dampen enthusiasm.

Sometimes exploring different aspects of shooting which you have not done much of can help; perhaps try some long range precision rifle shooting, or trap shooting, or get ahold of a nice old Smith or Colt revolver and work on shooting them better, or get a Glock if you are a 1911 guy and vice versa to make yourself a well-rounded shooter.

What also can help bring you back is when you have a good friend or relative that takes an interest in shooting and you can spend some time sharing the hobby with them and teaching what you have learned so that the American tradition of firearm ownership and marksmanship stays alive. I refuse to let the anti-gun crowd win by destroying our gun culture.

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"
Old 07-21-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:

Let me share and idea that’s a “WHOLE LOTTA FUN”... I’m 55, my son is 19, and we go and do pistol competitions! We do “Action Pistol”, “Steel Challenge”, IDPA, etc... Find a nearby club and get with some like minded folks... you’ll get back in the spirit and you’ll meet a lot of nice people!

Old 07-21-2018, 1:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i maybe just decided to stop following bs gun laws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).
Old 07-21-2018, 2:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcav View Post
OP, you and others like you are doing exactly what the gungrabbers want you to do; stop buying guns and ammo. Thats exactly the whole intent behind these rediculous laws, to harrass, intimidate, and make it as difficult as possible for law abiding citizens to buy guns and ammo. I guess they are winning.

Sad to say!

Threads like these are hard to read.

Shooting and training are still fun.....maybe buying and collecting are tedious.

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

“Criminals, tyrants and terrorists don’t do background checks.” — Judge Roger Benitez, 4/23/2020
Old 07-21-2018, 2:16 PM
Veteran Member

I didn’t ever see shooting as ‘thrilling’...it’s a hobby about precision, control, consistency. At least as far as target shooting goes. I was never in it for the thrills, my days of being an adrenaline junkie are over, I find shooting and especially reloading relaxing.

I try not to get too hung up on the laws, if you pay attention it’s not just gun laws, there are all kinds of BS laws the democrats pass in this state.

I try to look forward to taking my kids out. I have a cricket 22 ready for them already. They’re about a year or two shy of shooting age.
Old 07-21-2018, 2:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
Sad to say!

Threads like these are hard to read.

Shooting and training are still fun.....maybe buying and collecting are tedious.
Well i guess being what CA gun laws are, if you don't have a nice little reserve by now then youre doing it wrong.

Don't argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I don't respond to posts/posters that aren't worth responding to.
Old 07-21-2018, 2:56 PM
Veteran Member

My biggest issue is open to public ranges are so far away from Brentwood and Oakley these days ie Livermore and Manteca what with the Mt Diablo area range closed for almost 4 years now. TOOO hot at Manteca in the summer, and don't care for Vasco road driving. Richmond used to be ok but too many attitude issues there now. Of course the new laws and regs are plenty bad enuff by themselves.

Psalm 1
Old 07-21-2018, 4:10 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

I feel you. This is exactly what the politicians want. And they're succeeding. I'm riding my bicycle now a lot more than I used to. I'm going to give them as little money as possible until I leave.
Old 07-21-2018, 4:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcav View Post
OP, you and others like you are doing exactly what the gungrabbers want you to do; stop buying guns and ammo.
This pretty much says it all. I don't shoot all that much but I'm still buying as many guns as I can afford, and since ammo is more available and cheaper than it has been in the past few years, I'm buying more ammo from local shops. Better for me and better for them.

MLC, First 3

Last edited by golfish; 07-21-2018 at 6:28 PM..
Old 07-21-2018, 5:04 PM
Calguns Addict

It makes sense because anything legal there now may be deemed illegal when Newsom takes the reigns.. At least anything semi auto... C&R or not...
Old 07-22-2018, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinwoodland View Post
I'm waiting on our move to Arizona to purchase anything else. Can't wait to see how it feels to live in a free state.
Before I moved, I bought very few guns for the last few years, just a couple of Les Baer 1911s. No ammo either since I stocked up in Obama's first term. I rarely went shooting since the leftists shut down my gun club. It is safe to say that my enthusiasm was stunted a bit, it just wasn't fun to be a CA gunowner. Plus I was just plain angry on a daily basis that I had to live in CA.

Now that I'm out, my apathy for all that is firearms is gone, it is now fun again. Of course everything denied to me before is now at my reach. But more importantly is the fact that firearms, like conservative political thought, is not an evil, forbidden idea or topic. The big crushing weight heaped on the CA gunowner's shoulders disappeared, a big relief replaced that feeling. Plus as a conservative thinker, I am no longer a pariah.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
Old 07-22-2018, 7:20 AM
Calguns Addict

I’m actually thinking about acquiring MORE rifles I have to keep in pieces and assemble on the side of the road across the state line. F-it.
Old 07-22-2018, 7:32 AM

I feel you too. I’ve thinned my herd and am continuing to do so. I’m only keeping the most valuable stuff. I’m tired of having to live my life like a part-time legal clerk. I have enough ammo to last me a looong time. That’s good enough for me.

RIP SGT Mark Allen RLTW! I love you brother. ‘Til Valhall’...
Old 07-22-2018, 8:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I like that when I don't buy guns and ammo in CA, they get no tax $. I want to starve CA of tax $.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlesnake_nm View Post
10/4 . Ranger pm'd me. I will chill on replying to insults with my own insults. Thanks for the heads up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD427 View Post
In addition to all of the above, please note that it is illegal for you to offer an "Assault Weapon" for sale while you are in California, even if the weapon is restricted to sale out of the state.
Old 07-22-2018, 8:34 AM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
oddball

I was just plain angry on a daily basis that I had to live in CA.

Now that I'm out, my apathy for all that is firearms is gone, it is now fun again. Of course everything denied to me before is now at my reach. But more importantly is the fact that firearms, like conservative political thought, is not an evil, forbidden idea or topic. The big crushing weight heaped on the CA gunowner's shoulders disappeared, a big relief replaced that feeling. Plus as a conservative thinker, I am no longer a pariah.

This is music to my ears, my friend. Music.

Thanks for your post.

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked
Old 07-22-2018, 9:00 AM

I've bought more firearms in the past 12 months than I did in the prior 5 years. Anything with a decent (or not so decent) price that struck my fancy. Bought a bazillion rounds of ammo in 2017. Bought reloading sets (2 complete, Dillon and RCBS), and I shoot about once every 2 weeks.
Screw this state...I'm staying and enjoying my shooting sports.
Old 07-22-2018, 9:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Don't leave the kitty behind! You will love AZ. My mother and stepfather moved their in February after living in SoCal for close to 30 years. They are having a great time.
Old 07-22-2018, 9:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Default The thrill is gone

I understand completely. My last year or so living in Ca., I rarely shot or bought anything new, and I’m a huge firearm enthusiast. My action pistol range (USI) got shut down, Chabot got shut down, Richmond got way more crowded for action pistol matches and the public line got kind of ridiculous. Livermore got way crowded and was just plain boring shooting only a bullseye target at 1 round every X many seconds and ro’s constantly breathing down everyone’s neck. It’s a nice clean range and I like the club and had shot there since the early 90’s but it just got too restrictive and boring.

Since moving out of state, I have bought over 20 new firearms for my collection, I conceal carry 7 days a week from the time I get up until the time I go to bed. I train twice a month with a force on force training company. Next month we are doing a shooting through barriers class where we will be engaging targets through vehicle glass. I recreationally shoot at least once a week at one of the two private ranges I belong to where you can do anything you want except shoot explosives or incendiaries so long as you’re safe. No RO’s, just basic common sense rules. Long range rifle with permanent steel from 100 yards all the way out to 1 mile. Many pistol bays with plate racks, gongs, poppers etc. I do lots of transition drills from AR to side arm, and tons of handgun drills. Super fun.
I take my kid to the .22 only bay and burn up 500+ rounds on steel every time. She LOVES it.

Also hit a few gun shows during the year where I’ve found some old gems, paid for them, showed them I was a resident, and took them home. Some really cool older handguns I’ve had on the radar for years but was unable to locate in Ca because of the roster.

My shooting and collecting have been totally reinvigorated. Don’t give up. Even if you don’t plan on moving, just put it on hiatus and do some other stuff and hopefully it’ll come back to you. If you are planning on moving oos, then know that the shooting sports and firearm culture is very much alive, active, and vigorously defended in free America.

Old 07-22-2018, 9:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by major burnout View Post
I like that when I don't buy guns and ammo in CA, they get no tax $. I want to starve CA of tax $.
Hahahaha, good luck with that. "Starve CA of tax $", thats pretty much delusional at this point.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The goal of Excremento is to wear you down. Apparently in this case it has worked.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:

The feeling is amazing. I lived in Utah for about 2 years. It was just incredible. I picked up a lightly used Walther PPQ 5inch for $365 with Cabela's discounts. Think about that.

I was in a gun store in New Mexico and came across a 6in Colt Python. Bought it and had it shipped to my gun store in Utah. No problems.

SBR and Silencers no problem. Buy it send in for your tax stamp when you receive you stamp go pick up your Silencer.

Shooting at the range. Shoot as fast as you want. Nobody give a ****.

I joined a range for $65 for the year(that probably 2 range trips in CA). You go anytime you want and shoot for as long as you want. They even supplied the targets.