Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 02-27-2008, 7:30 PM

Default Sentry G2215 safe for $219 at Turners any good?

Here are the specs:
Model G2215

Is this decent for this price range?

I don't want to get a big, permanent safe yet, as I will no doubt move eventually from where I live now. Plus I'm upstairs, so weight is a consideration.

If this isn't that good, any others for not much more than this one?
Old 02-27-2008, 8:21 PM

Wondering that myself. The old standard you get what you pay for probably applies. But, I guess anything is better than nothing. I might swing by tomorrow and check it out.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobT2K View Post
Here are the specs:
Model G2215

Is this decent for this price range?

I don't want to get a big, permanent safe yet, as I will no doubt move eventually from where I live now. Plus I'm upstairs, so weight is a consideration.

If this isn't that good, any others for not much more than this one?
Yes that is a good price. I paid $279.00 for mine from walmart online. Really nice entry level cheap safe. You'lkl get a nice safe for what you pay for
Old 02-27-2008, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikidklown View Post
Yes that is a good price. I paid $279.00 for mine from walmart online. Really nice entry level cheap safe. You'lkl get a nice safe for what you pay for
I'd save up for somthing with more room, it says it holds 10...but in reality it holds 5 maybe 6 snuggly. How many guns do you have now? Take that number and at least double it and look for a safe or safes with that ammount of storage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Not everyone is so smart.
We need people who work at McDonalds too you know...
Old 02-28-2008, 6:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Bought one today, Turners has 41 left for 13 stores so they won't last., granted it is small 5 scoped rifles at best.
Old 02-29-2008, 9:44 AM

I would look closely at the specs! If they are the same as a few years ago, the safe isn't very "safe". When I last checked, the safe did not even have re-lockers! That's where spring-loaded steel bolts lock the door solid if a thief tries to open it by bashing in the lock. If not, all a person has to do is smack the lock with a sledge hammer and the door pops open. The interior looked like it had fire protection, but turned out it was just drywall and offered no fire protection at all. On a minor but noteworthy point, the damn thing was made in China. I will buy import merchandise, but always prefer to buy "Made In USA" when possible. Again, when I last checked, the American made safes offered so much more bang for the buck.

As a former deputy sheriff, let me ask you to think about how you will feel if one day you come home and your "safe" is wide open and your firearms are gone. These "bargain" safes are in my opinion, a joke and so easy to get in to, that you are almost asking to be a victim. I speak from firsthand knowledge and from seeing the sick look on the faces of citizens over and over again that had the very thing happen to them. Spare me the comment "any safe can be broken into". Yes, that is true. But the difference is these can be gotten into by a kid with a hammer. A quality safe will require a lot more effort to penetrate. The bottom line is this: Isn't your piece of mind and the protection of your firearms (investment) worth the extra couple hundred bucks?

Last edited by Bill92869; 02-29-2008 at 9:56 AM.. Reason: add a comment
Old 02-29-2008, 10:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill92869 View Post
I would look closely at the specs! If they are the same as a few years ago, the safe isn't very "safe". When I last checked, the safe did not even have re-lockers! That's where spring-loaded steel bolts lock the door solid if a thief tries to open it by bashing in the lock. If not, all a person has to do is smack the lock with a sledge hammer and the door pops open. The interior looked like it had fire protection, but turned out it was just drywall and offered no fire protection at all. On a minor but noteworthy point, the damn thing was made in China. I will buy import merchandise, but always prefer to buy "Made In USA" when possible. Again, when I last checked, the American made safes offered so much more bang for the buck.

As a former deputy sheriff, let me ask you to think about how you will feel if one day you come home and your "safe" is wide open and your firearms are gone. These "bargain" safes are in my opinion, a joke and so easy to get in to, that you are almost asking to be a victim. I speak from firsthand knowledge and from seeing the sick look on the faces of citizens over and over again that had the very thing happen to them. Spare me the comment "any safe can be broken into". Yes, that is true. But the difference is these can be gotten into by a kid with a hammer. A quality safe will require a lot more effort to penetrate. The bottom line is this: Isn't your piece of mind and the protection of your firearms (investment) worth the extra couple hundred bucks?
It'd still make me feel better then if I came home one day and all my firearms that were in their factory cases were gone. Keeps it out of the casual smash and grabbers as well as any kids/friends that come over. I couldn't afford a sturdy safe, so I got the sentry 14 gun model and bolted it to the wall.

I think buyers just have to realize how much protection it really offers. I'd also think it'd make a much easier insurance claim. Saying, "they broke into my safe," instead of, "they took the boxes."
Old 02-29-2008, 11:03 AM

At the risk of starting a pissing contest, I have to say it is ridiculous to imply you cannot afford a quality safe, but you can spend to money to purchase gun after gun with no difficulty.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:09 AM

It's on the DOJ's approved list, it has to be good!
Old 02-29-2008, 6:02 PM

Uncertain if your post is in jest or serious, but no matter. I'm sure the DOJ criteria is based mostly if not totally on keeping the firearms out of the hands of children, and not preventing theft by burglers.
Old 02-29-2008, 8:00 PM
low94noma

Quote:
Uncertain if your post is in jest or serious, but no matter. I'm sure the DOJ criteria is based mostly if not totally on keeping the firearms out of the hands of children, and not preventing theft by burglers.
I would just be worried about 2 guys carrying my babies out of the house and hacking up the safe later....Looks like a nice safe to keep the kiddies out of though....
Old 03-01-2008, 2:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
At the risk of starting a pissing contest, I have to say it is ridiculous to imply you cannot afford a quality safe, but you can spend to money to purchase gun after gun with no difficulty.
I'll agree. Same concept in another hobby of mine, with people buying thousand dollar cameras with lenses worth hundreds or thousands and then cheaping out with a 20 dollar tripod.

Unfortunately, my budget hasn't been big enough to purchase any guns since the safe.
Old 03-19-2008, 9:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moulton View Post
I'd save up for somthing with more room, it says it holds 10...but in reality it holds 5 maybe 6 snuggly. How many guns do you have now? Take that number and at least double it and look for a safe or safes with that ammount of storage.
Probably the way you put your rifles, mine holds 10. 3 of those scoped. 2 rilfles on the left side, 2 on the right and 6 at the rear.