Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:27 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Question SOT, cans and featureless builds.

Being a SOT, I have an integrally suppressed, non-SBR .300 BLK upper coming in several months. The question is whether this would be usable in a featureless AR build? Would a can be defined as a flash hider? Thoughts?

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Serving you from Prescott, AZ

Last edited by EBR Works; 10-10-2012 at 1:19 AM..
Old 10-10-2012, 12:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Pretty sure that will be a no go, but who am I to say so
Old 10-10-2012, 2:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Gonna say no.

If you look at the process the CADOJ would use to test for flash suppression you will see that they use the statement "particular feature or deviced". They don't say muzzle brake, flash hider etc. It could be argued that a can is just a different type of device that is screwed onto a barrel. But in this case I see yours is internal so it may fall under a "particular feature".

In SB23 Final Statement of Reasons (FSOR) you can see earlier writings of the law. At a point they made it clear its not what the device is called but if it actually does suppress flash, if so then it is a flash suppressor. (Notice FSOR is not the law, but it is a good reference)

Is a can a feature or device that suppresses flash? The CADOJ might say yes.
But who really knows. On a featureless its always best to err on the side of caution...

Quote:
Hunt v. Lockyer Declaration of DOJ Special Agent Ignatius Chinn

7. Accordingly, DOJ determines whether a particular feature or device is a flash suppressor as defined in section 978.20(b) by inspecting the device, reviewing material regarding the device provided by the manufacturer or otherwise, and/or consulting with ATF. In particular, DOJ determines whether a particular device is a flash suppressor under the regulatory definition by following a step-by-step analysis. In nearly all instances to date, DOJ has been able to determine that the device in question is a flash suppressor in the initial stage of the analysis, without needing to proceed further in the determination process.

8. The first step is determination of whether the device in question is designed or intended to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter's field of vision. The assigned Firearms Division personnel examine the device and review material produced by the manufacturer of the device to see what the manufacturer has said publicly about its designed or intended uses for the device. Manufacturer materials reviewed can include brochures and packaging provided with the device, advertising materials, websites, and point-of-sale or other marketing materials. If it is determined that the device in question was designed or intended to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter's field of vision, then the device is determined to be a flash suppressor, and the inquiry is at an end.

9. If however, it is determined that the device in question was not designed or intended to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter's field of vision, then the analysis proceeds to a determination of whether the device nonetheless functions to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter's field of vision. If it is determined that the device in question does not function to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter's field of vision, then the device is determined not to be a flash suppressor, and the inquiry is at an end.

10. If, however, at this stage, Firearms Division personnel were unable to determine whether a particular device functions to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter's field of vision based on inspection of the device, they would consult with ATF.
Old 10-10-2012, 5:20 AM
Vendor/Retailer

How is an integral barrel a flash suppressor? Wouldn't it be argued that a regular crowned barrel is a flash suppressor because it redirects the flash away from the shooters field of vision by going straight out the barrel?

The truth is the state has no clue what a flash suppressor is.
Old 10-10-2012, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post
How is an integral barrel a flash suppressor? Wouldn't it be argued that a regular crowned barrel is a flash suppressor because it redirects the flash away from the shooters field of vision by going straight out the barrel?

The truth is the state has no clue what a flash suppressor is.
I think it's more like they refusing to give exact definition as to what FH is. In this case they have more leeway to come up with BS.
"The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory" Jeff Cooper

Last edited by rrr70; 10-10-2012 at 6:32 AM..
Old 10-10-2012, 6:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

We all know that flash hiders make the shooter invisible so, if a surpressor makes the shooter invisible, it could be considered a flash hider.

Wes,
While I think I follow your logic about integral surpressors, how would you clssify a permanently attached flash hider? Would it be just part of the barrel and no longer considered a "flash hider" or, would it be a barrel with an integral flash hider?
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 10-10-2012, 1:32 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Wes,
While I think I follow your logic about integral surpressors, how would you clssify a permanently attached flash hider? Would it be just part of the barrel and no longer considered a "flash hider" or, would it be a barrel with an integral flash hider?
Are there any ports that redirect the flash? No. The flash comes out the end of the muzzle just like a standard barrel. No re-directing has occurred.

In your case of a permantly attached flash suppressor, the flash is re-directed from exiting the muzzle with the bullet to exiting through established slots in order to redirect the flash.

Well at least it sounds good.
Old 10-10-2012, 2:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Are there any ports that redirect the flash? No. The flash comes out the end of the muzzle just like a standard barrel. No re-directing has occurred.

In your case of a permantly attached flash suppressor, the flash is re-directed from exiting the muzzle with the bullet to exiting through established slots in order to redirect the flash.

Well at least it sounds good.
But, a plain barrel that is crowned and ported isn't a flash hider, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBR Works View Post
I talked to Jason Davis. He said it would most likely be a test case. I guess no featureless + can for me...
, Well, you could always go non semi-auto and not worry about CA AW laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishMike View Post
I LOVE my integrally suppressed stuff. Finishing up a UMP now

But yes, this could probably be argued either way
I've got to play with a few models with intergral surpressors and they are much more fun than having to screw a can on and off. A friend of mine has had a MP5SD in his safe since he bought it for $1200 in 1969. Another friend has a Ruger MKII that I'd love to be able to own. He also has a MP5K with a can and a transferable FCG that he used to shoot yotes with from his back porch.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

KM6WLV

Last edited by CSACANNONEER; 10-10-2012 at 2:51 PM..
Old 10-12-2012, 5:58 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
I've got to play with a few models with intergral surpressors and they are much more fun than having to screw a can on and off. A friend of mine has had a MP5SD in his safe since he bought it for $1200 in 1969. Another friend has a Ruger MKII that I'd love to be able to own. He also has a MP5K with a can and a transferable FCG that he used to shoot yotes with from his back porch.
I was going to call BS, but wisely did some research first and would never have thought the MP5 came out in the mid sixties. I learn something new all the time.
Old 10-12-2012, 7:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I was going to call BS, but wisely did some research first and would never have thought the MP5 came out in the mid sixties. I learn something new all the time.
He bought it from a firend of his who had just purchased 5 of them and didn't need them all. He also hemmed and hawed over spending that much on something he isn't really into. Now it just sits in his safe with his +98% first gen Colts, sub cal (.12-14 cal guns), etc.
Utah CCW Instructor

KM6WLV
Old 10-12-2012, 8:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'm just curious why it was so expensive. They cost less than that now
Old 10-10-2012, 7:00 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

my guess would be no as well.

Remember that the feds considered cans to be flash hiders and counted as an evil feature during the fed AWB. I would assume that CADOJ would take the same position.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 10-10-2012, 1:43 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I talked to Jason Davis. He said it would most likely be a test case. I guess no featureless + can for me...

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Serving you from Prescott, AZ
Old 10-10-2012, 1:53 PM
Calguns Addict

I LOVE my integrally suppressed stuff. Finishing up a UMP now

But yes, this could probably be argued either way
Old 10-11-2012, 8:48 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I like Wes' logic.

www.franklinarmory.com
info@franklinarmory.com
ONLINE STORE: http://franklinarmory.com
Franklin Armory - Manufacturer of Quality, California Legal AR's, the F17 Series rimfire rifles in 17 WSM, the Drop-in Fixed Magazine (DFM), and the CA7, CA11, and CA12 Rostered AR Pistols!
Old 10-12-2012, 8:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Wait - I'll call BS. The SD didn't come out until 1974
Old 10-12-2012, 9:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishMike View Post
Wait - I'll call BS. The SD didn't come out until 1974
Then either old Sonny's memory is going or mine is. I could have sworn he said '69.
Utah CCW Instructor

KM6WLV