Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALGUNS.NET > Announcements and Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Announcements and Suggestions This is a place for suggestions, news and updates about the site.

Old 07-26-2010, 4:10 PM
Veteran Member

If you ever think that another member is getting way out of line, you can report their offending posts. While I'm not a moderator and I can only hazard educated guesses about how the mods operate, my guess is that the mods don't read every single post, and what looks like uneven enforcement may just be a matter of some posts getting reported and some not getting reported (and thus, escaping the mods' attention).
Old 07-26-2010, 4:26 PM

The only time I will report a post is if it is really bad. I'd like to report every idiotic post that says, "drool". That's how I could make Calguns better.
Old 07-26-2010, 4:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy View Post
The only time I will report a post is if it is really bad. I'd like to report every idiotic post that says, "drool". That's how I could make Calguns better.
LOL! I'd like to report all of the "tag" posts, but I show great restraint.
Old 07-27-2010, 2:28 PM

Put a video section in everythread
Old 08-03-2010, 4:30 PM

Default How not to piss off people

Today I get a PM out of the blue from a moderator. It accused me of making a comment on the sales forum and told me not to do this and read the rules. I have no recollection of leaving a comment on the sales forum. There was no mention of the comment or the thread or any link to either. Sending an ambiguous PM that slams someone for doing something without specific information only serves to piss them off and ruins thir day. I have no problem being reminded of a rule if i actually did something worng, but since I do not remeber doing anything wrong, and there was no information included in the slam PM, all it acomplished was to make me really angry. Moderator's; if you are going to slam people on the forum then be specific about what it is for!

Mike
Old 08-03-2010, 5:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike in CA View Post
Today I get a PM out of the blue from a moderator. It accused me of making a comment on the sales forum and told me not to do this and read the rules. I have no recollection of leaving a comment on the sales forum. There was no mention of the comment or the thread or any link to either. Sending an ambiguous PM that slams someone for doing something without specific information only serves to piss them off and ruins thir day. I have no problem being reminded of a rule if i actually did something worng, but since I do not remeber doing anything wrong, and there was no information included in the slam PM, all it acomplished was to make me really angry. Moderator's; if you are going to slam people on the forum then be specific about what it is for!

Mike
I recently had a similar occurence.
I was PM'd by a moderator, who shall remain nameless, who wrongly accused me of bumping my WTS thread more than once every 24hrs. I was especially upset by this a great deal since I pay extra close attention to the rules, including the new ones.
The moderator in question quickly and thouroughly apologized for the mistake and that cured any ill feeling on my part.
He did mention to me that he had seen several similar offenses that day so I think it's possible that he was just over worked.
All things considered I think moderators need to excercise a bit more care as I've seen similar issues recently. Not only care to accurately identify offenses, but also to make absolutely sure the member in question is appropriately informed of the infraction so that he/she will be sure to correct the behavior.
I respect what they do and applaud them for donating their time to help our community; Thusly I hope I'm not coming off as harsh.
Old 08-03-2010, 5:37 PM

Improve the ability to stay logged in longer. Example: I open a new tab to read threads. While in the thread whether looking at posted videos, or reading several pages of that thread, I get logged out of the site it seems like in only 10 mins or so. I would like to be logged in still when I return to the "main" page I was on originally. Yes I'm fairly new, if I am missing a place to set a setting or whatever, please inform me. Thanks
Old 08-03-2010, 5:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJoe View Post
Improve the ability to stay logged in longer. Example: I open a new tab to read threads. While in the thread whether looking at posted videos, or reading several pages of that thread, I get logged out of the site it seems like in only 10 mins or so. I would like to be logged in still when I return to the "main" page I was on originally. Yes I'm fairly new, if I am missing a place to set a setting or whatever, please inform me. Thanks
Log OUT
Log back in
When you type your username and password check the box that says 'remember me'

I've been logged in for months at a time. If you have done this and still get logged out automatically then it's likely related to cookies acceptance.
Old 08-03-2010, 8:06 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy View Post
If you really think I was out of line with my comment, then I will accept that. I will accept my spanking. For your info, no other post was edited in that thread.
no other posts might have been edited, but they may have been deleted in their entirety.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Id like to see a mini spy where you can see what threads are active you dont have to go searching through the forum.Lets say person A posts in a thread that thread will show up in the mini spy. I think that would make the forum a lot better.
Old 09-23-2010, 2:43 AM

i think we should have section dedicated to cowboy action shooting. how to get started list of local events what guns you use etc. jmo
Old 09-23-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNP'R View Post
Id like to see a mini spy where you can see what threads are active you dont have to go searching through the forum.Lets say person A posts in a thread that thread will show up in the mini spy. I think that would make the forum a lot better.
It's there. It's called subscribing to the post. It's under thread tools.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1646789

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1645958

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1645863

Legal disclaimer: Opinions are like buttholes. Everyone has one, including me.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:37 PM

I got shafted by a seller who left me neg feedback in retaliation after I gave him neg feedback for falsely advertising a product as new. I submitted a fraud report but no response and no update on the rating. It'd be nice if there was some status indicator to show at least if it's been looked at or not.
Old 10-09-2010, 9:09 PM

How about allowing people to give each other feedback with a thumbs up button. Definitely need a thumbs up button that allows you to show that you agree with what a person said or you appreciate what they said, and its good to see positive feedback. IMO its better than seeing someone quote your previous post and say +1. Let the users keep that positive feedback and let it follow them around for as long as they are members. It can help users get a feel for what people think about their posts and it can be done anonymously.
Old 11-02-2010, 8:33 PM

Separation of ammo and reloading forums. Marketplace, at least.
Old 11-03-2010, 9:16 AM
TheAyatollahofRocknRolla!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoglog View Post
I got shafted by a seller who left me neg feedback in retaliation after I gave him neg feedback for falsely advertising a product as new. I submitted a fraud report but no response and no update on the rating. It'd be nice if there was some status indicator to show at least if it's been looked at or not.
Did you contact a mod via pm?
"Let criminals out. Let illegals in. Let boys in the girls bathrooms. Condemn police officers. Abort babies. Pervert the children. Condemn Christians. Accept barbarity in the name of Islam. Overtax the hard working people. Coddle the lazy. That's the liberal way." -from a posting on "Yahoo"
Old 11-09-2010, 11:25 AM

Mandating a specific location in the Titles of marketplace listings would go a long way eliminate major frustrations for many members and friends of the site.
S. CA , N. CA, Counties, regions, etc are not specific enough.
San Diego County, for example, is larger that the State of CT in sq. miles.
This easy-to-implement requirement would be an ultimate time-saver.
A posting without a specific location would result in the posting getting zapped. Posters would catch on real quickly.
Old 11-10-2010, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jado View Post
Mandating a specific location in the Titles of marketplace listings would go a long way eliminate major frustrations for many members and friends of the site.
S. CA , N. CA, Counties, regions, etc are not specific enough.
San Diego County, for example, is larger that the State of CT in sq. miles.
This easy-to-implement requirement would be an ultimate time-saver.
A posting without a specific location would result in the posting getting zapped. Posters would catch on real quickly.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:44 AM

An open carry section would be nice since there is already a section for CCW
Old 11-11-2010, 4:54 PM
Veteran Member

How 'bout having folks put their locations in the title of the post. It's

annoying to check out a post, wait for it to load, only to find the seller is 400

miles away & will only do FTF

Just my 2 cents worth . . .
Old 11-11-2010, 9:16 PM

sorry if this was already addressed earlier but it would be nice to autosubscribed to threads that we comment on, and/or be able to have a "previous posts" button
Old 11-11-2010, 9:19 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by G lock View Post
sorry if this was already addressed earlier but it would be nice to autosubscribed to threads that we comment on, and/or be able to have a "previous posts" button
We already have that. It's one of the settings under "User CP" / "Edit Options".
Old 11-11-2010, 9:24 PM
Banned

Default Re: Open Letter - how can we make Calguns.net better?

Clearly defined rules would be a major plus.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullnshoot25 View Post
The rules are, hypocrisy is democracy. Didn't you know?
Old 11-11-2010, 11:19 PM

Maybe someone brought it up already, but the time posting hasnt been set back yet if it matters just a little confusing when it says i posted something 1hr ahead. FYI
Thanks
Old 12-05-2010, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullnshoot25 View Post
That's hilarious! The rules are whatever the mods decide they are, at the time.

But here's kudos to whoever maintains the site, for adding Tapatalk support.
Very nice to be able to see the forum in a well-presented way on a mobile device.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:41 AM

Default Breaking Down Into Radius?

I was wondering if a tool could be added for distance away, in the market place forums. E-bay and one of the other forums I frequent has this cool little feature. That way when one is looking at items they can search for items say up to 150 miles away, etc.
Just a thought!
Old 12-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Banned

Is anyone else receiving multiple emails of the topic or forum subscriptions? 4x for my daily 2A forum sub, random threads get random numbers of duplicate emails.
Old 12-20-2010, 5:37 PM
Veteran Member

PLEEEEase? Location to be posted, if only for FTF's . . .
Old 12-22-2010, 4:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Thanks to Casual Shooter, this really is kinda fun (was Los Gatos Mountains) ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N6ATF View Post
Is anyone else receiving multiple emails of the topic or forum subscriptions? 4x for my daily 2A forum sub, random threads get random numbers of duplicate emails.
I had 4 copies of the same PM notice in email.
Old 12-22-2010, 6:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Would like single button press to allow me to see all my threads I initiated and would like a single button press to see all threads I have posted in.

Thanks for considering additional options.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAShooter View Post
Would like single button press to allow me to see all my threads I initiated and would like a single button press to see all threads I have posted in.

Thanks for considering additional options.
is it really that hard to access your profie, go to statistics, and then click on either of these links, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...nduser&u=56992 or http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...&starteronly=1 ?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 12-22-2010, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N6ATF View Post
just picked up a 29x dupe of the same email. I originally though that it migh be an issue with my mail server, since I occasionally pick up dupes of other emails. but CG has been going crazy with the dupe notifications lately.

Old 12-23-2010, 4:56 PM
Banned

Eek! 7 emails for one PM!
Old 01-07-2011, 2:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
just picked up a 29x dupe of the same email. I originally though that it migh be an issue with my mail server, since I occasionally pick up dupes of other emails. but CG has been going crazy with the dupe notifications lately.
+100 on this.

Been trying to ignore this annoying glitch for almost TWO WEEKS now.

Thought it would be fixed before I would bother to complain...

Justin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Sometimes, arguing just for the sake of arguing, can be fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyZRC View Post
no it can't!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
YES IT CAN!
"Pink rifle disease... SPREAD IT!"
Old 01-22-2011, 8:09 PM
Bacon makes it better

Don't know if this is the first time this has been brought up but, on one other vbulletin site I belong to the date when the thread is started is listed under the thread title. This is helpful when searching so I know if it is something I saw already, or just something I thought I saw already. We get to see when the most recent post was made, but not when the thread was started.
Old 01-22-2011, 8:41 PM

The use of a portal page on the index of the site IE www.calguns.net would allow for expansion of the site without affecting the current function.

If I had my way, I would ditch vb all together and use phpbb... more extensible, and easier to admin, but heck what do I know, my sites only have a half million viewers a month.

A software package that includes a news feed, and more than just a forum would be a good investment of time.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
Old 01-24-2011, 1:34 PM

Default User name Amensty

How about the ability to switch or out-right change our User names, but still keep our positive feedback & posting count/history? You could charge for a one-time change over & apply the money to server/band-width costs or use it as a fund raiser to CGN. I understand that it could get out-of-hand, but if you limit to a one-time only event or apply escalating charges for each instance that might offset the man-hour costs or make it worth the effort for the administrators.

I'd love to switch my user-name, but would hate to lose the my posting & itrader history.
‘‘Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? ... If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?’’

— Patrick Henry

Old 01-24-2011, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quser.619 View Post
How about the ability to switch or out-right change our User names, but still keep our positive feedback & posting count/history? You could charge for a one-time change over & apply the money to server/band-width costs or use it as a fund raiser to CGN. I understand that it could get out-of-hand, but if you limit to a one-time only event or apply escalating charges for each instance that might offset the man-hour costs or make it worth the effort for the administrators.

I'd love to switch my user-name, but would hate to lose the my posting & itrader history.
you can change your username already. Its not that hard to do, just contact Kestryll.

Old 01-24-2011, 1:38 PM
Banned

Send all profits to me.