Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-17-2019, 3:02 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnWnMe View Post
Moonclips are nice but they're almost like carrying a second revolver.
But pretty much the same can be said with carrying any extra ammo. There is no way to carry ammo in an organized manner with any less weight than a moonclip, and it is **way** less tedious loading than with a speedloader, and it is way more reliable and sure. Yes, you can slim out (but elongate) the extra ammo on hand with a speed strip, which is at least 4x as much material as a moonclip, but you aren't going to load anywhere near as fast from one.

And a 5-shot moonclip is a lot less bulky than 6 or 8 shot moonclips most people are used to seeing.

Of all the ways there are to carry extra revolver ammo, moonclip is far and away my #1. My only criteria is the revolver must also be capable of firing without it.

The 442 PC Pro will fire without moonclips and will also allow loading from speedloaders, strips, loose rounds, or anything else you want to load from. There is no downside that I see then.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 01-17-2019 at 3:37 PM..
Old 01-17-2019, 3:51 PM

Check out the S&W 66 Combat Magnum, SKU:10061
Stainless K-Frame, 6-Shot 357 Magnum with adj. sights and 2.75" Barrel.
I added one of these to my 357 mag collection and really enjoy shooting it.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:53 AM

I feel overwhelmed with options. Ill go to the gun store and see if there are any deals, or even order something mentioned here. Instead of going with a 686 i think i will go for something smaller.
Old 01-18-2019, 3:00 AM

Great posts everyone.
I have 6- S&W revolvers and they are core workhorses to protect me and the kids from different size animals. I do a lot of camping while fly fishing and hunting with the family. So l come from the theory that you want to STOP the animal before you get bit or hurt.
I believe in an emergency in town itís not impossible to have a 225 lb chump on drugs with his 280 lb crazy eyed gorilla friend, attack. So I ask- with no time to reload and only 5 shots would you rather have at that moment 38+ or 357 mag?
Now if the gun is for fun start with a 357-4Ē and shoot 38/357.
If I want a lighter caliber for CC Iím going with my P365-10 round. My Pro 640 with Tritium adjustable sights is for STOPPING POWER.
Nothing wrong with 38, just saying.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:28 AM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

The 642 PC Pro moonclip SKU 178042 is also on roster, stainless version of the 442. I just scored a killer deal on one NIB PPT this morning!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmithson View Post
I believe in an emergency in town it’s not impossible to have a 225 lb chump on drugs with his 280 lb crazy eyed gorilla friend, attack. So I ask- with no time to reload and only 5 shots would you rather have at that moment 38+ or 357 mag?
I may be wrong, but OP said this was to be a backup carry gun, aka New York reload. Post #5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skalinas View Post
The revolver will be for CCW backup gun. Sorry i didnt type any info while at work

Your point is still valid though. 357>38+P. But weight and size starts to become a consideration as well, when you have two guns to hide and carry.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 01-18-2019 at 10:41 AM..