Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-02-2011, 9:46 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Default best muzzle brake?

Howdy!

So I'm building an AR for my girlfriend, and I'm having a hard time finding the best recoil-reducing brake. I've done some research, and I've tried several. The list consists of the Surefire, Battlecomp 1.5, standard bird cage, and the PWS. So far, I'd say it's a toss up between the Surefire and the Battlecomp, but I'm open to any other suggestions. Thanks in advance...

Jerry

Last edited by bug_eyedmonster; 10-02-2011 at 11:55 PM..
Old 10-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member

SJC Titan, TTi Eliminator, Miculek.
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 10-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Of all the brakes you listed, none would be considered the best recoil-reducing brake... well the surefire might be on the top end of that.

+1 for what IPSICK said.
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 10-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

oh, before I forget, this is going on a stainless Krieger light contour barrel, and will need to be pinned and welded. IPSICK, thanks for the recommendations!
Old 10-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

I would have to say an A2
Old 10-02-2011, 10:21 PM

PWS556
Old 10-02-2011, 10:25 PM

Get the PW556, that way no one will stand being next to her and you won't have to worry about people hitting on your girl at the range.

-W
Old 10-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

I've tried the A2 and the PWS, both didnt seem even close to the reduction of a Battlecomp 1.0, or even the Battlecomp 1.5 on my 14.5 Noveske. They are both lighter, and much cheaper than let's say a Surefire break, but I'm just checking to see if there's something else out there.

Jerry
Old 10-02-2011, 10:30 PM

I vote BC
Old 10-02-2011, 10:56 PM

I've heard nothing but great things about the miculek brake, and it's cheap. My next comp I will be trying out will probably be the effin-a by ares armor. It's the one where you can custom tune it by opening or closing round, threaded holes to adjust where the gases vent from.

On a side note, I don't how much of a shooter your gf is, but if she is somewhat intimidated by/dislikes the recoil of .223 I think a brake would be even worse. While the felt recoil will be slightly reduced the trade off will be MUCH louder muzzle blast and increased felt pressure on every shot. For new shooters this can be extremely distracting. There was another thread talking about this about a week ago. If it is just going to be a range toy shot from the bench, the best choice may be a longer heavy barrel with a bipod and scope. The increased weight reduces felt recoil as well, plus I'm sure she'd have a blast pinging steel at various ranges. Just something to consider.

WTB: AMD 65 parts kit with original barrel

Interested in a Front Sight Diamond membership? PM me.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

She shoots a good amount, this rifle is actually for her to take classes with me. She doesn't have a problem with recoil using my rifle, but it's heavy. With her build, I'm trying to keep it light. The recoil isn't what she's too worried about, it's getting back on target for the follow-up shots with a lighter gun.

Jerry
Old 10-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Calguns Addict

The difference between brakes should be inconsequential, and .223/5.56 doesn't create enough recoil for it to be a concern. Any of the brakes you listed should do just fine. I have a Surefire MB556K and it works very well.

Last edited by jumbopanda; 10-02-2011 at 11:34 PM..
Old 10-02-2011, 11:49 PM

How long a barrel is the one your looking at an end piece for? If it is 16 or more inches in length why weld or pin? If your looking for a superb recoil reduction piece check out JP rifles.com before making your decision. If it is a bench gun a recoil eliminator from JP will fit the bill but if it is to be a tactical style rifle a JP Compensator from them will work well also.
Any recoil reduction device will bring up noise levels to side shooters irreguardless of brand. JP has about the best on the market.
Ooh Rah- 1969-1978
Old 10-02-2011, 11:55 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Jumbopanda, I've been looking at getting a Surefire, that was the other choice other than a Battlecomp. The recoil isn't a problem for her unless she's been shooting all day, I just dont want her to get too tired in the middle of a class and start dropping shots.

Novalondon, the barrel is a 14.5 inch Krieger stainless, which is why I needed a stainless brake to be pinned and welded.

Jerry
Old 10-02-2011, 11:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Since you have a Krieger barrel, you might want to avoid the Battlecomp because those types of brakes (the KAC Triple Tap falls under this category) may cause a slight decrease in accuracy, which is undesirable when you have the most accurate barrel on the market. I would say that the Surefire works just as well if not better than both of those, although it is louder to nearby shooters.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:02 AM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

That's weird, not to say that I'm doubting you, but what about their specific designs make them less accurate? I'm asking because I really don't know, and I'd like to. =)

Jerry
Old 10-03-2011, 12:12 AM
I need more cowbell!!!!!!
CGN Contributor

PRI MSTN QC brake.
I have one on a Stainless Wilson barrel. My girl shoots my AR all day long.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=1231
Old 10-03-2011, 12:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug_eyedmonster View Post
That's weird, not to say that I'm doubting you, but what about their specific designs make them less accurate? I'm asking because I really don't know, and I'd like to. =)

Jerry
The closed bottom and open top causes an asymmetric flow of gases around the bullet. The effect may be negligible though, depending on what kind of accuracy you're expecting.

More info here: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=63864

Quote:
Hello gents,

Thanks for all the informative and honest back-and-forth on the long-range accuracy issue. I will have some additional accuracy testing information before the end of this week. Preliminarily, I can tell you that I fired a 20-round (!) 100 yard group with my personal AR which, at the time of the testing, had a BCM 16" middy upper, stock nasty trigger, and 1.5 power compact ACOG. The group measured about 1.6". I wasn't particularly taking my time with each shot nor was I nicely sandbagged.

More importantly, as many of you have said, the BattleComp is NOT supposed to be a sniper rifle accessory. It is for CQB. We would prefer that folks send us back their BattleComps for a full refund before firing rather than have anyone be dissappointed because their rifles lost .5 MOA after installation. Customer satisfaction is our primary goal. We try very hard not to make any claims about our products that are not supported by facts and real-world feedback from end-users, and we aren't going to change in that regard.

Thanks again for all your support,
Nick
Old 10-03-2011, 8:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy View Post
PRI MSTN QC brake.
I have one on a Stainless Wilson barrel. My girl shoots my AR all day long.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=1231
This is actually the comp I personally want to try next. Not overly expensive and I like how the QC stands for Quiet Comp, although I don't have unrealistic expectations about the Quiet part. Additionally it has clocked ports at the top.

As for compensation and accuracy, I don't know about the BattleComp but the JP Tactical Compensator I am using now doesn't seem to affect accuracy. The JP barrel is still sub-MOA precise at 200 yards and most likely further than that.
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 10-03-2011, 8:37 AM
Veteran Member

From personal ownership, the best muzzle brake (keeping rounds on target) is the battle Comp , for both muzzle control and flash, hands down it's the PWS556.
The AAC Blackout and Vortex only hides flash
Old 10-03-2011, 8:48 AM
Calguns Addict

You mention this is for a carbine course. Is it a BB/featured or featureless rifle or are you running this out of state?

Some of the recommendations are no go on featureless rifles.

I'll second the recommendation for the MSTN/PRI Quiet Comp (though it ain't quiet). The muzzle doesn't move at all for fast followup shots.

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785
Old 10-03-2011, 9:11 AM
FREE STATE LIVING!!!!!!!!
CGN Contributor

Location: Idaho. Land of the FREE!!! Home of the BRAVE! Constitutional Carry Is Awesome! Still going......

MSTN, Miculek, JP "Bennie Cooley" and Rainier Arms comp works great, almost just like the PWS with a vortex tip to it.

This is the bennie cooley brake and I LOVED mine. Really reduced recoil but was LOUD at the range for the guys sitting next to me.

This is the rainierarms.com brake. Great brake, effective and slight flash suppression also.

And last but not least if you want the most effective brake out there, check out the JP "Recoil Eliminator"

The loudest sound in the world is a “click” when you need a “bang.”
Old 10-03-2011, 9:32 AM
Veteran Member

Food for thought.

http://www.multigunmedia.com/pk-compensation.pdf

http://www.multigunmedia.com/ar15-comps-pt-2.pdf

Old 10-03-2011, 9:32 AM

I highly suggest JP, i just finished reviewing a few different brakes and that is the keeper of the bunch. Ill post the review shortly

Informative Reviews
Old 10-03-2011, 9:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetspeedz View Post
I highly suggest JP, i just finished reviewing a few different brakes and that is the keeper of the bunch. Ill post the review shortly
Which ones did you try?

Old 10-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Those pdf's aren't opening for me....could be a filter at work, but no worky from here....
"Looking a bit angry, he asked why I thought it was a Republican truck. I explained that if it were an Obama truck, the seats would blow smoke up your *** year-round. I had to walk back to the dealership. The guy had no sense of humor."
Old 10-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Spy View Post
Those pdf's aren't opening for me....could be a filter at work, but no worky from here....
Work fine from my office. These are not my PDF's but those of an accomplished 3-gun shooter.

Old 10-03-2011, 2:13 PM

Battlecomp FTW. A lot of the others are overly loud. I hate shooting next to people using Surefires and Miculek (and similar style ones). The Battlecomps aren't nearly as bad and they work well.

Last edited by RECCE556; 10-03-2011 at 2:19 PM..
Old 10-03-2011, 2:29 PM
Banned

PWS > trendy more expensive things
Old 10-03-2011, 2:37 PM
Veteran Member

I just picked up the JP, will try it out on sat
Originally Posted by keenkeen View Post
"What you've just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Old 10-03-2011, 3:05 PM
FREE STATE LIVING!!!!!!!!
CGN Contributor

Location: Idaho. Land of the FREE!!! Home of the BRAVE! Constitutional Carry Is Awesome! Still going......

Just get the Miculek brake and be done with it. $49.99 or cheaper most places, works about the best for most guys without the ego of needing something like an Inconel Triple Tap from KAC (only $400 but they work really well) and it'll do a great job so you can make a featureless or whatever you want.

The loudest sound in the world is a “click” when you need a “bang.”
Old 10-03-2011, 3:11 PM

if you want to use it in competition stick with JP b/c they are approved

JPTRE-2S

Again ill post a review shortly by the end of the week. check my signature i have a few coming out with videos and how to's.

Informative Reviews
Old 10-03-2011, 3:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Ive used BC, PWS, Surefire and some other cheaper random brakes...

My top pick was PWS, feels like it did the best in terms of muzzle rise.

Next on my list is Surefire.

BC was good, but I dont like the ammout of flash I get in my optics when shooting at night, so that fell off my list.
Old 10-03-2011, 4:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetspeedz View Post
if you want to use it in competition stick with JP b/c they are approved

JPTRE-2S

Again ill post a review shortly by the end of the week. check my signature i have a few coming out with videos and how to's.
You say this as if it is the only one approved of the ones mentioned. They do conform to the approved dimensions for tac optics and limited division.

For comps, best can still be subjective.

Old 10-04-2011, 3:17 AM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Great info, but these reviews are only the competition types, I wish there was the Surefire and Battlecomp (although I dont think it was out at the time) for the testing... This was the first real proof of what works (within the test anyway) that I've seen here, but everyone is different, and opinions vary. Thanks for the info folks!

Some details I think I need to make clear.

1. This is going on a higher-end light weight build for my girlfriend.
2. The barrel that this brake is going to be mounted on is a lightweight, 14.5 inch stainless barrel. This means it must be pinned and welded.
3. Although the barrel is a Krieger, and accuracy is still very important, the main focus here is what will have the least felt recoil. She needs to stay on target for follow up shots.
4. Noise/concussion is not as big of a deal, the only person that should be worried about shooting next to her is me, and I'm using a Battlecomp... =)
5. I'm not trying to find the CHEAPEST working comp here, if there is even marginal gain, for a slight price increase, I'm going to spend it. This is already killing my wallet...
6. She will be shooting this for classes and for fun, maybe even for varmiting.

I hope this helps! Thanks again for your input guys...

Jerry
Old 10-04-2011, 8:14 AM

# 3. Staying on target with an AR is not that hard to do. Have her work on the fundamentals. Learn how to use a sling. Save your money an buy more ammo and get more range time.

Personally I don't see the need to have a muzzle brake on an AR. A standard A2 flash hider is all I need. The only AR I own that has a brake is my MK12 MOD 0, but that's only because I wanted to build it to spec.

PS - ALL BRAKES ARE LOUD!!!

IYAOYAS

Last edited by gau17; 10-04-2011 at 9:11 AM..
Old 10-04-2011, 8:49 AM
Veteran Member

Unless you have already purchased the barrel and are married to the idea of a shorter barrel and gas system, I believe you are ignoring the importance of the whole system on recoil reduction.

Besides the comp you need to look at a rifle length gas system (needs at minimum a 17" barrel), adjustable gas block, lightened bolt carrier, and either a lightened rifle buffer or standard carbine buffer. To save weight you can still go with a lighter contour barrel and a lightweight handguard (PRI carbon fiber or Nordic aluminum come to mind), but make sure you balance the rifle and don't go with a buttstock that is too lightweight (maybe a SOPMOD).