Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 07-12-2018, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
The purple shells are cool looking.
You got me there, I have to have one 16GA NOW. Purple shells !!!
Any idea where I can buy A300 or Maxus in 16GA? I'll do it today. Or at least Rem V3?
Purple shells !!!Purple shells !!!Purple shells !!!Purple shells !!!
Old 07-12-2018, 3:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyCat View Post
Any idea where I can buy A300 or Maxus in 16GA? I'll do it today. Or at least Rem V3?
Heh, not so much.

Though if you wanted a new A5, those can be had in 16 brand new from Browning!
Old 07-12-2018, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGoatCrawler View Post
...Iím looking for something light, swings well, and isnít much over $1000.
I really like double barrels, but many are $1400-2500...
Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
So, in reality, you want an expensive shotgun (by your description) for under a grand. That is going to be tough to do. The shotgun you want for under a grand is everything the expensive ones are. A Benelli ultra lite is $2600. Its everything you describe.
wut? Has to be expensive to be light and swing well?

I'm not looking for anything super fancy. A good field gun that I don't mind beating on.

The Benelli Ultra Light looks very nice though. Where are you getting $2600? Same gun?
https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...2330/cat100004
Old 07-12-2018, 7:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

I'm not looking for anything super fancy. A good field gun that I don't mind beating on.

The Benelli Ultra Light looks very nice though. Where are you getting $2600? Same gun?
LOL!! Not that thing! Iím talking Performance Shop

https://www.benelliusa.com/performan...a-light-upland
Old 07-12-2018, 7:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Again, Franchi is a good shotgun for a fair price with Benelli technology. Itís a good deal
Old 07-12-2018, 7:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Hey! The one you posted I didn’t know existed but it looks like a great shotgun too. I never saw that one in my dealers catalog. I’ll check it out tomorrow
Old 07-12-2018, 8:27 PM

The 16's were always around 50 years ago, most often as Rem. or Win. pump. Once the 20's came out in 3" chambers the 16 ga. was phased out. Same thing happened with the 10 ga. with the advent of 3.5" chambers in 12 ga.
IMO the new 12's can do anything, even with the steel 7 shot for quail in a light field load, or pheasant as a first shot flushing over a dog perhaps followed by 3" heavy 5 or 6 load. Just depends- your preference vs. the single universal 12 ga. in the best gun for your budget.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2018, 8:46 PM

Quote:
LOL!! Not that thing! Iím talking Performance Shop

https://www.benelliusa.com/performan...a-light-upland
$1200 up charge to put on an enlarged bolt handle/bolt release, enlarge the forcing cone, cerakote, extra fancy chokes, and EDM porting(really necessary?)

Quote:
Hey! The one you posted I didnít know existed but it looks like a great shotgun too. I never saw that one in my dealers catalog. Iíll check it out tomorrow
That more modest model looks like a real nice set up. I think the performance one is overboard for what it is. I'd rather have two of the regular models... one in 12ga and one in 20 haha.

I am going to look into picking one up.
Old 07-13-2018, 6:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
$1200 up charge to put on an enlarged bolt handle/bolt release, enlarge the forcing cone, cerakote, extra fancy chokes, and EDM porting(really necessary?)

That more modest model looks like a real nice set up. I think the performance one is overboard for what it is. I'd rather have two of the regular models... one in 12ga and one in 20 haha.

I am going to look into picking one up.
Actually the PS guns are pretty amazing. Performance Shop guns are tuned and balanced to Performance Shop specs. I had a 12 and a 20 and they were pretty amazing. Lightest shotgun with very little recoil. They did sell too. Easy sell in the Bay Area. Probably not so much up North
Old 07-13-2018, 7:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I am definitely a Beretta guy through-and-through when it comes to shotguns. I think an a300 would suit your needs really well, or even an older 391 could do everything you want it to do. Mine was never finicky never cared about what ammo, never felt like it was over or under gassed and just flat ran

The loudest sound in the world is a ďclickĒ when you need a ďbang.Ē
Old 07-13-2018, 9:28 AM
Veteran Member

With your price range I would recommend a Winchester SX4 for a semi auto or for a little less, a Stoeger 3000 or 3500.

If you can push your budget up and are interested in a 16 gauge, the Browning A5 Sweet 16 is a great option for a semi auto.

I'm a broke mo-fo, so I just use my old 870 Express with a 26" Carlson barrel with a bead and fiber optic sight combo. It's bulky, but I consider it carry-on.

If you are looking for an O/U, I would recommend a CZ or Stoeger.

"Far and away the best prize life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris7556 View Post
They teach you secret stuff I can't mention on line.
Old 07-28-2018, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrieta578 View Post
Upland? Over pointing dawgs? An O/U is the way to go... with your budget, look for older Beretta like the BL-4, BL-5, or SE55s and 56s. They are great guns! As good as any modern Beretta and most were hand engraved. They can be had for $850-$1200 in excellent condition.

UNLESS youíre hunting CHUKAR. CHUKAR hunting is not about hunting, is revenge. Requires more fire power.
I'm not a hunter so this may sound like a stupid question to those who are but, what difference would it make which type of gun you are shooting while hunting with dogs?
Old 07-28-2018, 8:44 PM
Veteran Member

Last year I switched from my Superposed in 12 ga to a 686 in 20 ga. Much lighter.

This year I'm thinking about going to a 28 ga. Don't have a 28 ga so I need one, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBamBoo
CalGuns....the welfare forum of the gun world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll
I am NOT a lawyer, paralegal or anything other than a schmuck....
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott
Sorry i want something NIST traceable.
Old 07-29-2018, 2:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Ive used the 20g topper single breal action SG for dove. I done better than a lot of people who jas 1k+ SG. not because Im better, but because I know I only got 1 shot. Make it count. haha.

But, my 3-gun 11-87 serves me well for the past 25 years for any where between varmint to big game. It's well under 1k.
Old 07-29-2018, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geedavell View Post
I'm not a hunter so this may sound like a stupid question to those who are but, what difference would it make which type of gun you are shooting while hunting with dogs?
over/under is real nice just because of the 2 different chokes. If you miss with the first open choke you have the second tighter choke. If you miss with the 2 shells, well the semi auto or pump with the 3rd shell would not help you anyways.

the only other reason that i can think of is some dog trials and tests will only allow break action shotguns.

i currently hunt over dogs with a nice lightweight 20 gauge semi auto mainly because there is a lot of hiking involved in upland hunting..Still looking to get an over/under though
Old 07-29-2018, 2:10 PM

Think your right Scott. Doesn't really matter about the dogs and which gun you use. As long as its lightweight and has good fit so you can hit more birds, that is all that matters
Old 07-29-2018, 3:31 PM

OP, if you haven't decided yet, you can pick up a Remington 1100 in 12ga or 20ga from budsgunshop.com for about $420-$460. This would be worth a look. Certainly fill all your needs for upland birds. Just a thought.
Old 07-29-2018, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpowerstroker View Post
Think your right Scott. Doesn't really matter about the dogs and which gun you use. As long as its lightweight and has good fit so you can hit more birds, that is all that matters
I've heard it mentioned in other websites too....about differences between hunting with dogs and without.
Obviously, you have to be much more careful taking low shots, not to shoot the pups but I wouldn't see what difference in the gun would make
Old 07-29-2018, 5:41 PM

Only thing I can think of regarding shotgun type and dogs is that a side by side might be very slightly more dangerous for the fact it obscures more of your vision. In that regard, O/U and autos might be slightly safer. Side by sides aren't the most common though.
Old 07-29-2018, 7:56 PM
Calguns Addict

I use a 20g Benelli Montefeltro and 20g Franchi AL48 for quail. Both are light and their 12g counterparts are pretty light too. I prefer autos for this species as I can thumb another shell or two in on the fly without looking. Keeps my eyes on the fall and keeps me in battery should another come up. I have O/U's, SxS's and autos and I choose the auto for this species.

Steel #6 do OK.

#Blackolivesmatter

Last edited by JagerDog; 07-29-2018 at 7:58 PM..
Old 07-29-2018, 8:05 PM

Dog or not, the gun functions the same. Not shooting your dog, or others, is the responsibility of the shooter!
Old 07-30-2018, 12:01 PM

Affordable and upland makes me think of IZH/Baikal. I've got a sxs 20 women/youth model. The trigger is gritty but it will do anything more expensive guns will do. I think I paid about $300 out the door for it new somewhere around 15+ years ago.

I recall there was an o/u model at the time. Is IZH still in business? Haven't seen their stuff around for the last few years.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:29 PM

Found a gun built to my specs about 15 years ago. 16G, sxs, extractors, imp and mod, english style stock, 26" tubes, and dual triggers. It is a CZ Bobwhite. And the kicker, I got it from CDNN for $400. It was a very out of fashion gun at the time and that's always where the deals are with them. I believe it is still a sub 1K gun.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:40 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

I was given a 20 ga 1187 for my birthday a few years back. It's not a super recent build but has screw in chokes. I found it to be my most accurate shotgun for me. I think they run about $450 used and maybe a little more for a "new" one. Just an idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.