Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 12-11-2018, 3:30 PM

Default PCP tank options?

Thinking about buying a PCP gun. Not really looking forward to paying $400 for a tank? Any alternatives ?

For info - I want to buy a Gauntlet .22 and I have the ability to get tank filled at Fire Station (if I get compatible connections).

I might consider a heavy tank thatís not as portable if it costs significantly less.

Thanks !
Old 12-14-2018, 7:44 AM

lots of deals to be had on flea-bay....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-SCI-Ca...snX:rk:12:pf:0
"Governments don't want a population capable of critical thinking. They want obedient workers, just smart enough to run the machines and just dumb enough to passively accept their situation." - George Carlin
Old 12-14-2018, 5:25 PM

Depends on the fillable gun pressure. A SCUBA tank is pretty inexpensive, but generally they only fill to 3000 PSI.

The carbon tanks are much lighter and they usually have a maximum fill of between 4500-5000 PSI.

You need to be well aware that any tank you buy, especially used, needs to be certified periodically, like every five years and the dates are marked on each tank. I doubt the fire department will fill your tank if it is not certified, nor will any other fill station. So if buying used, look for the certification date first. You also do not want any dings on the tank, those are possible weak spots.
Old 12-20-2018, 5:36 PM

Default 4500 PSI tanks

I like the 4500 PSI tanks, due to lighter weight and more fills till you get down to 2500.
Most guns fill to 3000-3600 PSi

The 4500 psi tanks have a born on date (manufacture date) they are only good for 15 years from the born on date and require a hydro test every 5 years.

If your tank is out of hydro or over 15 years old, you will not be able to get it filled at a scuba shop or fire station. If you have your own compressor you can fill as long as you like.

I have been buying 45 minute sized bottles from a SCBA shop with 3 to 4 years of life left from $125- $175.

Hatsan has a $400 range compressor 12V that will fill guns but not bottles.

Good luck.

John

Last edited by greek; 12-21-2018 at 10:08 AM..