Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:35 AM

Default Upgrading my M&P Shield

I'm getting the M&P Shield out of jail in a few days, and have the following question about upgrades:

1. What's my best option for upgrading the sights?

2. is the Apex trigger kit worth it (and if not, is there a better option)?

3. Has anyone used the Talon Grips for the Shield (or is there a better choice)?

Thanks all.
Old 01-20-2019, 1:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Apex duty, carry kit is a must. Truglow, TFX or TFO. And the talon rubberized grips are awesome. I got the gritty sandpaper grips and they sucked. I have 2 non CA Shields and each one has the above mods except my second Shield has Big Dot sights. Both are great sights. The Shield sights can be tough to remove so I recommend a gunsmith unless you have the right tools and feel comfortable doing the installation. Great gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2019, 1:11 PM

I like Trijicon HD sights. The black u-cut rear with the orange/yellow dot up front makes a good sight picture for me. The tritium is bright enough at night for me too.
Old 01-20-2019, 1:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Upgrade your mags with MagGuts +2.

https://magguts.com/product/smith-we...9mm-2-magguts/
Old 01-20-2019, 1:20 PM

If for carry, make sure your IA allows off roster handguns on your permit. As soon as you change the trigger, it become an unsafe handgun. No law against having an unsafe handgun on your permit, but I believe some IAs don't allow that.

Do you have a Kel-Tec P-11? Let me know as I may be interested in buying or trading for it.
Old 01-20-2019, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC View Post
I'm getting the M&P Shield out of jail in a few days, and have the following question about upgrades:

1. What's my best option for upgrading the sights?

2. is the Apex trigger kit worth it (and if not, is there a better option)?

3. Has anyone used the Talon Grips for the Shield (or is there a better choice)?

Thanks all.
I really like the visibility of the M&P three-dot sights, but I did add Truglo sights to my most recent Shield acquisition and they are a nice tactical upgrade.

The Apex trigger is a must. I don't like the feel of the M&P safety trigger, and the Apex is a huge improvement. They now have a couple of different trigger designs; and I stayed with the traditional shape. I've owned a Shield with and without the Apex springs, and I'm on the fence with changing out the springs since the stock setup is perfect for a defensive pistol.

I haven't used the Talon grips, but I did put a Hogue sleeve grip on my Shield. I prefer the grippy feel of the Hogue grip over the Talon style.
Old 01-20-2019, 3:14 PM

I have the talon rubber texture grip tape on my Shield. It helps, the thing is pretty slippery IMO. I've had it on for about a year and a half and a little over 1k rounds through the now, they're starting to loosen up and come off on the backstrap. I imagine if I EDC'd this thing I probably would have gotten it stippled instead
Old 01-20-2019, 3:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califpatriot View Post
If for carry, make sure your IA allows off roster handguns on your permit. As soon as you change the trigger, it become an unsafe handgun. No law against having an unsafe handgun on your permit, but I believe some IAs don't allow that.
Lol that's not true lol. It may be that an IA won't allow modifications, but the shield has on roster models and you can't "make it" into a non roster model. You're drinking from the FUD tree.

If you buy a gun from me and fail to pass background, I will keep at least 50% of the sale price to compensate me for the time you've wasted of mine (sale and failed sale pickup), so if you're in doubt, don't buy my guns.
Old 01-20-2019, 3:43 PM

The Apex trigger kit (with trigger and sear) is an amazing upgrade. I got it for Christmas and my accuracy has gotten better.
Old 01-20-2019, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packy14 View Post
Lol that's not true lol. It may be that an IA won't allow modifications, but the shield has on roster models and you can't "make it" into a non roster model. You're drinking from the FUD tree.
Bottom line: IAs may not allow modifications and so the best thing to do is to check with them. Not sure exactly how many do and how many don't. One of the largest issuing agencies--OC--says the following:
http://www.ocsd.org/civicax/filebank...x?BlobID=24223
"3. The applicant’s firearm(s) is/are subject to inspection at the discretion of the Sheriff or designated Department Member. The Sheriff reserves the right to deny a license for any firearm that has been altered from the manufacturer's specifications or that is deemed unsafe (Penal Code § 31910)"

As for your legal contention whether you can make into, this is not an issue that has been addressed in caselaw, regulations, or statute. A reasonable reading is that changing key parts of a firearm like a trigger can affect its "safety," as "safety" is defined by the unsafe handgun law. I'm fairly sure if it ever came before the courts, the courts would say that such a handgun may no longer be sold within the state by an FFL absent a roster-exemption. As a practical matter, most FFLs won't sell a on-roster firearm that has had key parts like trigger, slide, etc. changed out. I don't blame them--if they picked that fight with DOJ, they'd probably lose.

As for OP's question, TFX pro sights are very good--bright in night and day. Somewhat more expensive than other options.

Do you have a Kel-Tec P-11? Let me know as I may be interested in buying or trading for it.
Old 01-20-2019, 4:27 PM

I love the Truglo fiber optic/tritium night sights, and have them on my Kimber & Glock 19.
I’ve never had to shoot in the dark, but during the day these things light up.
I too have a Shield in jail and it will receive these same sights.
Good luck
Old 01-20-2019, 5:06 PM
Veteran Member

I did Apex trigger, TFX and Talon grip... Hyve extended magazines and finger extension. Took the Mag disconnect off also but I do that to all my guns. Kept the safety since its a carry gun.

It's an awesome gun for the money. I'll never sell it. In fact I want a shield 2.0 but just haven't seen one for the right price.

WTB
Browning BLR 30-06**
P10F**
P10S**

Last edited by etwinam; 01-20-2019 at 5:10 PM..
Old 01-20-2019, 5:14 PM

I have 2 shields and put ameriglo I dot sights on them and love them.

Magguts +2 in the 7 round mags and strike industry's emp +2 on the 8 round mags. The si +2 arent beautiful but they are cheap and work well.

I like the hogue handall slip on grip sleave with one finger groove for grip additions. It gives the grip more of a palm swell.
Old 01-20-2019, 9:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califpatriot View Post
Bottom line: IAs may not allow modifications and so the best thing to do is to check with them. Not sure exactly how many do and how many don't. One of the largest issuing agencies--OC--says the following:
http://www.ocsd.org/civicax/filebank...x?BlobID=24223
"3. The applicant’s firearm(s) is/are subject to inspection at the discretion of the Sheriff or designated Department Member. The Sheriff reserves the right to deny a license for any firearm that has been altered from the manufacturer's specifications or that is deemed unsafe (Penal Code § 31910)"

As for your legal contention whether you can make into, this is not an issue that has been addressed in caselaw, regulations, or statute. A reasonable reading is that changing key parts of a firearm like a trigger can affect its "safety," as "safety" is defined by the unsafe handgun law. I'm fairly sure if it ever came before the courts, the courts would say that such a handgun may no longer be sold within the state by an FFL absent a roster-exemption. As a practical matter, most FFLs won't sell a on-roster firearm that has had key parts like trigger, slide, etc. changed out. I don't blame them--if they picked that fight with DOJ, they'd probably lose.

As for OP's question, TFX pro sights are very good--bright in night and day. Somewhat more expensive than other options.
that is true, your prior statement was pure nonsense. Good recovery.

If you buy a gun from me and fail to pass background, I will keep at least 50% of the sale price to compensate me for the time you've wasted of mine (sale and failed sale pickup), so if you're in doubt, don't buy my guns.