Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 12-02-2018, 8:53 PM

Default Big Bore Airgun legal in car?

So I am an adult that had no problems with any laws and i just want to ask is it legal for me to have a big bore airgun (benjamin bulldog and/or benjamin marauder in 25) in my car for self protection, hunting, and for the range?
if its legal, what places i can't go and how should i store it?
Old 12-03-2018, 9:03 AM

Self protection? How exactly would that even work? I can't even imagine being able to deploy any sort of long gun kept in a vehicle in a self defense situation.

As for legalities, treat it like any other long gun and you should be square with the law. Your bigger issue is climate control. Temps are going to swing widely, which will have a huge impact on your cylinder pressures. Personally, I wouldn't want to ever keep my PCP guns in the car on a regular basis. The temp swings alone could risk blowing out my o-rings. Plus, I've had rifles start to pit sitting in the trunk for too many days. It's a long, boring story but I've had some firearms sitting in the trunk during the cooler months back in college. Won't be doing that again.
Old 12-03-2018, 9:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Not a firearm so carry as you wish. Someone with heavy coat that you shoot will take it away and use it as a suppository on you. put a real gun in vehicle.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
Not a firearm so carry as you wish. Someone with heavy coat that you shoot will take it away and use it as a suppository on you. put a real gun in vehicle.
Worst advice ever!
Old 12-03-2018, 6:11 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic8Ball View Post
So I am an adult that had no problems with any laws and i just want to ask is it legal for me to have a big bore airgun (benjamin bulldog and/or benjamin marauder in 25) in my car for self protection, hunting, and for the range?
if its legal, what places i can't go and how should i store it?
Under CA laws...

Airguns are considered "imitation firearms". [PC 16700(a)(1)]

It is illegal to openly display/carry an "imitation firearm" in a public place. [PC 20170]

Being in a vehicle is considered a public place. [PC 20170(b)(10)]

While in public places, unless your airgun has it's entire surface brightly colored [PC 20175(m)], it needs to be concealed or in a fully enclosed container [PC 20175(a)].

Therefore, in order to be CA legal...
Unless you airgun has it's entire surface colored bright white, bright red, bright orange, bright green, bright yellow, bright blue, bright purple, bright pink, or a combination of those colors; then your airgun should be in a fully enclosed container while in your vehicle and while being transported to & from areas where you can legally use your airgun.

Penal Code 16700
(a)(1) As used in this part, “imitation firearm” means any BB device, toy gun, replica of a firearm, or other device that is so substantially similar in coloration and overall appearance to an existing firearm as to lead a reasonable person to perceive that the device is a firearm.

Penal Code 20170
(a) No person may openly display or expose any imitation firearm in a public place.
(b) As used in this section, “public place” means an area open to the public and includes any of the following:
(1) A street.
(2) A sidewalk.
(3) A bridge.
(4) An alley.
(5) A plaza.
(6) A park.
(7) A driveway.
(8) A front yard.
(9) A parking lot.
(10) An automobile, whether moving or not.
(11) A building open to the general public, including one that serves food or drink, or provides entertainment.
(12) A doorway or entrance to a building or dwelling.
(13) A public school.
(14) A public or private college or university.

Penal Code 20175
Section 20170 does not apply in any of the following circumstances:
(a) The imitation firearm is packaged or concealed so that it is not subject to public viewing.
(b) The imitation firearm is displayed or exposed in the course of commerce, including a commercial film or video production, or for service, repair, or restoration of the imitation firearm.
(c) The imitation firearm is used in a theatrical production, a motion picture, video, television, or stage production.
(d) The imitation firearm is used in conjunction with a certified or regulated sporting event or competition.
(e) The imitation firearm is used in conjunction with lawful hunting, or a lawful pest control activity.
(f) The imitation firearm is used or possessed at a certified or regulated public or private shooting range.
(g) The imitation firearm is used at a fair, exhibition, exposition, or other similar activity for which a permit has been obtained from a local or state government.
(h) The imitation firearm is used in a military, civil defense, or civic activity, including a flag ceremony, color guard, parade, award presentation, historical reenactment, or memorial.
(i) The imitation firearm is used for a public display authorized by a public or private school or a display that is part of a museum collection.
(j) The imitation firearm is used in a parade, ceremony, or other similar activity for which a permit has been obtained from a local or state government.
(k) The imitation firearm is displayed on a wall plaque or in a presentation case.
(l) The imitation firearm is used in an area where the discharge of a firearm is lawful.
(m) The entire exterior surface of the imitation firearm is white, bright red, bright orange, bright yellow, bright green, bright blue, bright pink, or bright purple, either singly or as the predominant color in combination with other colors in any pattern, or the entire device is constructed of transparent or translucent material that permits unmistakable observation of the device’s complete contents. Merely having an orange tip as provided in federal law and regulations does not satisfy this requirement. The entire surface must be colored or transparent or translucent.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 12-03-2018 at 6:14 PM..