Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:52 PM

Default Transfer question regarding deceased relative's shotguns

My uncle recently passed away and my father wants to take possession of his two shot guns, we are in California and my uncle lived in Arizona. What is the procedure in transferring ownership to my dad? My uncle is my mom's brother.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:03 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Do you know if the firearms were left to either your father or mother as a "bequest" in your uncle's will? If not, does the executor of your uncle's estate want the firearms to go to your mother because of "intestate succession"?

Transfers by bequest and intestate succession are exempt from the Federal requirement that interstate transfers go through an FFL.

If there was a bequest to your father or mother then they can just go pick up the firearms or they can be shipped directly to them. The same goes if your mother gets them through intestate succession. (I'm pretty sure your dad can't get them through intestate succession, at least while other blood relatives of your uncle are still alive.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 09-29-2010, 6:10 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Didn't your uncle give them to your grandpa or grandma while they were still alive and then grandma and grandpa give them to your dad? Hasn't he had them in the state since a long time ago? No? Then they need to come through an FFL unless they are bequeathed and all that jazz.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation