Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 11-29-2012, 9:33 AM

Default Swapping rail systems, what do I need?

I've been thinking about replacing the rail on my Noveske Light Recce upper with a CASV but I only assembled the lower portion of this build and wanted to ask if this is something fairly easy and what tools I would need? Also if anyone has any warnings about the CASV I'm open. My intention is to trim the weight and improve the ergonomics.

Here is my current setup. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 11-29-2012, 6:56 PM

I doubt you're going to save weight by swapping to the CASV. The CASV mid-length weighs 14 ounces and the one you have on there probably weighs around 8 ounces or less (both weights do not include the barrel nut). You can take yours off and weigh it to get an accurate comparison.

If the ergonomics are the main factor and the CASV is a better fit for you, then the extra weight probably won't matter to you.

If your going to get the CASV, you're going to need to get an AR15 barrel nut and delta ring assembly in order to mount it.

The tools you're going to need are an AR15 armorers wrench, upper action block, allen wrenches (for the gas block), torque wrench and a wrench to take off the Noveske barrel nut. It's really easy to do and there are a ton of youtube videos, also Brownells has some, that you can watch. Hope this helps.

Last edited by lwbyo1; 11-30-2012 at 1:44 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 11-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Switching to the CASV is going to require a lower mount for that Aimpoint, just FYI. You're probably going to need a different front sight too, as the CASV has a taller top rail. It's really meant for a FSB, unless you're going with the stepped down version.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln6echo View Post
what tools I would need?
Bench vise on a solid workbench.
Upper receiver block.
SWS barrel nut wrench.
Allen Wrenches.
Standard barrel nut wrench.
Anti-sieze.
A barrel nut alignment pin is helpful, but not mandatory.

In addition, you will need a standard barrel nut to install as the CasV does not retain the barrel into the receiver like your SWS manufctured Noveske Rail.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 12-03-2012, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd1584 View Post
Switching to the CASV is going to require a lower mount for that Aimpoint, just FYI. You're probably going to need a different front sight too, as the CASV has a taller top rail. It's really meant for a FSB, unless you're going with the stepped down version.
That's a turn off. Sounds like more tools needed than work. Any thoughts on the Seekins Precision 3 gun?

Thanks all for the info!
Old 12-03-2012, 8:39 PM
Calguns Addict

I like seekins stuff. You will still need some of the tools to remove the barrel as I believe DD uses their own barrel nut. The seekins barrel nut can be put on with a crowfoot wrench if you are going to use a torque wrench. I guess it could be done with an open end wrench as well, but I would be concerned with getting it to the right torque.
Old 12-03-2012, 8:39 PM
Calguns Addict

I like seekins stuff. You will still need some of the tools to remove the barrel as I believe DD uses their own barrel nut. The seekins barrel nut can be put on with a crowfoot wrench if you are going to use a torque wrench. I guess it could be done with an open end wrench as well, but I would be concerned with getting it to the right torque.