Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 08-27-2016, 8:57 AM

Default Question about SKS -

Why do all Gunbroker dealers require FFL on SKS made in the 1950s? I thought under C&R they could ship directly to you?

If I am wrong, under what circumstance can you buy an SKS without an FFL transfer?
Old 08-27-2016, 9:05 AM
Veteran Member

you need a COE too

Also many sellers on GB dont want to research laws so they take the lazy route
Old 08-27-2016, 10:27 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct4surf View Post
Why do all Gunbroker dealers require FFL on SKS made in the 1950s? I thought under C&R they could ship directly to you?

If I am wrong, under what circumstance can you buy an SKS without an FFL transfer?
Federal laws requires a FFL if the firearm is shipped across State lines.
^ If the firearm is a C&R, then a C&R Type 03-FFL can be used to comply with this requirement.

CA laws requires all firearm transfers to go through a CA FFL dealer.
^ If the firearm is a C&R rifle/shotgun, then a CA resident with a valid C&R Type 03-FFL and valid COE is exempt from this requirement.

Bottom line:
*CA resident with no FFL = C&R SKS must be transferred through a CA FFL dealer.
*CA resident with a valid C&R FFL and no COE = C&R SKS must be transferred through a CA FFL dealer.
*CA resident with a valid C&R FFL and valid COE = C&R SKS can be shipped to the address listed on the C&R FFL.
^C&R SKS must be logged into the CA resident's C&R FFL log book and must register the C&R SKS with CA DOJ.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 08-27-2016, 4:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
All modern firearms including curio & relic guns have to be transferred through or to a FFL holder of some sort...in California

C&R guns can be shipped directly to a holder of a 03 Curio &Relic FFL license out of Ca..

Transfers into CA requires both a 03 C&R license as well as a Ca. issued COE (Certificate Of Eligibility)For long guns..

Handguns shipped into Ca cannot go to a C&R FFL... The must go to a 01 FFL holder (regular gun shop)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 08-28-2016, 9:54 PM

Great info, thank you. I was confused on this because somebody at a gun show was selling a Russian SKS, and said it was cash-and-carry, no FFL needed because it was C&R. Seems he was grossly mistaken.

I probably would have bought it if he wasn't charging $900 for it.
Old 08-28-2016, 9:58 PM
SeƱor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Great info, thank you. I was confused on this because somebody at a gun show was selling a Russian SKS, and said it was cash-and-carry, no FFL needed because it was C&R. Seems he was grossly mistaken.

He was correct under the pre-2014 laws.
C&R long guns were cash-and-carry for face to face transfers prior to Jan 1 2014.

Post 2014, if the buyer has an 03 and COE, it is still cash and carry or can be shipped to your door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 08-29-2016, 7:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Oh dera, the Libs are actually correct! There was an example of the "Gunshow loophole".
Old 08-30-2016, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy8500 View Post
Oh dera, the Libs are actually correct! There was an example of the "Gunshow loophole".
I actually thought about that as well! Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

This was prior to 2014, so it sounds like it was legal at the time.