Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-23-2016, 3:42 PM

Default Tell me about the Seecamp .380

So what's up with the Seecamp .380? My mom is looking at one and I really know nothing about them. I went over other more common, less expensive options with her, but she's old-school and likes the idea of steel.
Old 03-23-2016, 3:47 PM
retired Goon

It's heavier than other pocket guns in that caliber.

The .380ACP version is not on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale.
There is one .32ACP variant that is listed on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale.

Friend's dad has the Seecamp in .32ACP.
It's reliable and the DAO trigger is better than the Kel-Tec P-32 trigger.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 03-23-2016, 3:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You can find a lot of info on their website. Seecamps do NOT have any sights. They are a small company without much, if any, aftermarket support. Those who own them tend to love them for small carry guns. I know the .32s are very finicky when it comes to ammo. I don't have any first hand experience with the .380s.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE
Old 03-23-2016, 4:42 PM

They are designed for and like Winchester Silvertip hollowpoints. May be a little fussy with other rounds, try them and see, but the Silvertips are reliable.
Old 03-23-2016, 4:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have a .32 and qualified with it for my ccw. The shooting left my trigger finger bleeding. I started a thread about it, the advice seemed to be tape up the finger before shooting, but I plan to dehorn the trigger guard. Just haven't had a chance.

IIRC, the .380 is the same size as the .32. It's difficult to shoot, but it conceals like a zippo lighter.

I'll never sell mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
My transvestite analogy stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXX
Old 03-23-2016, 6:37 PM
Veteran Member

The Seecamp are only designed to work with Winchester Silvertips and any round with a similar profile and length. You can only purchase one used P2P unless you're exempt, then you can purchase it new. I hear there is still a waiting list even today. What few people I know that have them wouldn't give them up for anything.
Old 03-23-2016, 6:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Just say no.....
Old 03-23-2016, 8:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_DiveR View Post
The Seecamp are only designed to work with Winchester Silvertips and any round with a similar profile and length. You can only purchase one used P2P unless you're exempt, then you can purchase it new. I hear there is still a waiting list even today. What few people I know that have them wouldn't give them up for anything.
Yes, there is a waiting list for new ones. There is also a .32 on the CA roster so, you do not need to be exempt to purchase a .32.

Old 03-23-2016, 8:36 PM
Calguns Addict

The 32 is unpleasant to shoot. I would imagine the 380 would be downright awful.
"there is no appreciable difference in the effectiveness of the 9mm and the .45 ACP cartridges" -Dr. Vincent JM DiMaio, Gunshot Wounds: Practical Aspects of Firearms, Ballistics, and Forensic Techniques

Don't consider this an endorsement, but you can buy Front Sight Diamond memberships off eBay for $39.
Old 03-24-2016, 2:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

These threads kill me. I don't really enjoy shooting "unpleasant" guns but these make me curious. Kind of like a challenge. Hmm. .32? Yeah, might have to look into that.
Old 03-24-2016, 8:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

My wife looked at a used .32. The slide is very slick, the springs very stiff. She could not pull it back all the way, it would slip out of her hand. An S&W Bodyguard .380 is a better choice for a woman.
Old 03-24-2016, 1:56 PM

Thanks for the great input, everyone.

My Mom's in Maine, so...you know. And while Seecamps seem to have quite a following and seem to hold value, I think I'm going to advise against it, since she's going on 77 (although she is kick-*** tough). I think she should have something she can rack the slide on...and comfortably shoot every now and then...using sights...without getting a bloody finger...with whatever ammo is available.

If she wants a metal gun, there's gotta be something better out there for her.
Old 03-24-2016, 2:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Anyone (male or female) who is 77 should consider the fact that their strength may be going and they won't be able to cycle a slide. So, I would suggest that she considers revolvers or semi autos with tip up barrels such as a Beretta model 86.

Old 03-24-2016, 2:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Anyone (male or female) who is 77 should consider the fact that their strength may be going and they won't be able to cycle a slide. So, I would suggest that she considers revolvers or semi autos with tip up barrels such as a Beretta model 86.
I was going to suggest a revolver as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
My transvestite analogy stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXX
Old 03-24-2016, 2:35 PM
Veteran Member

Default Tell me about the Seecamp .380

Coq, I think your mom would be better served looking elsewhere as well.
I personally really like the .32 Seecamp for what it is. However, one thing that isn't often mentioned is the somewhat different manual of arms required to unload the pistol. The Seecamp has a magazine disconnect safety. Here's the different part. Once the mag is removed, the slide CANNOT be retracted all the way back ejecting the live cartridge in the chamber. To empty a Seecamp, you need to release the mag catch and pull the mag out just enough that the mag disconnect safety hasn't engaged yet, allowing the slide to be retracted all the way to eject the live round, yet far enough out that the slide doesn't pick up a fresh round off the mag on its way forward. Also, the trigger bar can be damaged if you try and pull the trigger with a mag partially removed. It's a beautiful, tiny pocket jewelry semi auto. In .32 it is not really enjoyable to shoot. In .380, I have to imagine I'd shoot it once or twice and never again. If I do ever find one in .380, I am buying it though. Good luck. There are a lot of great, small, quality semi autos or revolvers available to her living in the free states.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2016, 3:32 PM

Luckily, she's gotten over the Seecamp...thanks in part to the input from this thread! And for the record, she does already have a little revolver.

She's currently checking out a variety of stuff that does include the little Beretta Tomcat mentioned above (blowback with flip up barrel)...but those seem difficult to find.

The cool thing is my Mom is having a blast shopping for guns...she's really gotten into it.

Thanks again guys.
Old 03-25-2016, 5:26 PM
Veteran Member

Keep an eye out for a Beretta with a Tip up barrel. They do pop up occasionally. If she has the strength to rack the slide, perhaps a Sig P232 (blue/alloy frame) or a Beretta Cheetah (allot frame also IIRC). Both are in 380, full size grip, not too hard to rack, and with a grip that is easier to handle. Beretta even carries 13 rounds if you're not restricted.
Old 03-26-2016, 6:55 AM

Have your Mom handle a .380 sig P238. I think she would be able to rack the slide as it doesn't require much if any real strength to do so. The HD and HDW models are steel framed, the rest of the lineup are aluminum framed. They are single action unlike the Seacamp.

Last edited by nickel plate; 07-11-2016 at 8:02 AM..
Old 03-26-2016, 7:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

My wife ended up with the Beretta Tomcat .32 ACP with the tip up barrel. Anyone can load that gun.

It's not fun to shoot, it rubs my trigger finger and has a nasty habit of throwing brass back into your face. It's not very accurate for a mouse gun.

I much prefer my S&W Shield, a pleasure to shoot.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:19 AM

I strongly recommend a mid size revolver. NOT a small one, but one with enough size and weight to mitigate the recoil. Also with a .38 cal NOT a 357. the .38 will have plenty of bang and yet still be something she can control.
As with all such recommendations, be sure she gets training with the actual gun she gets.
Small guns really hurt a lot more than guns with some mass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coq View Post
Thanks for the great input, everyone.

My Mom's in Maine, so...you know. And while Seecamps seem to have quite a following and seem to hold value, I think I'm going to advise against it, since she's going on 77 (although she is kick-*** tough). I think she should have something she can rack the slide on...and comfortably shoot every now and then...using sights...without getting a bloody finger...with whatever ammo is available.

If she wants a metal gun, there's gotta be something better out there for her.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
You can find a lot of info on their website. Seecamps do NOT have any sights. They are a small company without much, if any, aftermarket support. Those who own them tend to love them for small carry guns. I know the .32s are very finicky when it comes to ammo. I don't have any first hand experience with the .380s.
They have plenty of support. Larry Seacamp is usually the one I speak with. All stainless steel, its a piece of art. Mine is ultra reliable with silvertips. This is the ammo Seacamp wants run in their guns. Works perfect, much more than I can say of some of the other pocket pistols I have.
Old 03-26-2016, 8:07 PM

I agree with nickel plate, tell her to at least take a look at the Sig P238. Metal frame, good sights, easy to rack the slide and mild recoil because it's not a blowback. It is a little bigger than the Seecamp, but it's still a small gun. Also, single action autos aren't for everyone.
Old 03-26-2016, 8:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G View Post
They have plenty of support. Larry Seacamp is usually the one I speak with. All stainless steel, its a piece of art. Mine is ultra reliable with silvertips. This is the ammo Seacamp wants run in their guns. Works perfect, much more than I can say of some of the other pocket pistols I have.
The company is no longer owned by the Seecamps. The person you quoted was referring to aftermarket support, ie accessories.
"there is no appreciable difference in the effectiveness of the 9mm and the .45 ACP cartridges" -Dr. Vincent JM DiMaio, Gunshot Wounds: Practical Aspects of Firearms, Ballistics, and Forensic Techniques

Don't consider this an endorsement, but you can buy Front Sight Diamond memberships off eBay for $39.
Old 03-26-2016, 8:44 PM

I was the same.. about liking all steel.. I had an interarms ppk/s .380 that was a beauty and reliable after break in. But it was difficult to rack and the recoil brutal. Traded it for a kimber micro stainless .380 last year. Aluminum frame, much smaller, less recoil and easy to rack. It is my carry piece. Got over the aversion to aluminum after purchasing and enjoying my mossberg 590 a1.
Old 04-01-2016, 5:38 PM

Update: Well, my Mom put an order in for a Beretta 3032 Tomcat...then picked up a Lady Smith .38 to play with while she is waiting. Plus she's still shopping. Haha.
Old 04-01-2016, 7:47 PM
Calguns Addict

The Seecamp .32 can fire normal rounds (FMJ) if you remove the wire spacer from the mag.
I didn't bother- mine feeds silvertips and buffalo bore loads without any issues.

I still don't understand recoil complaints- the .32 shakes a little when you fire it. I can see how the 380 would be unpleasant, I've heard it needs a new recoil spring every few hundred rounds.

On my .32, I cant the gun 45 degrees to the side- you can use the 'V' formed where the barrel meets the slide as an aiming channel- it's quite effective. You can make head shots at 7-9 yards using that. I do with they at least gave you a groove, or a front bead, or SOMETHING to aim the thing with.

-Dave

-Dave
Old 03-17-2018, 7:36 PM

The Seecamp isn't designed to be a range gun. It is no fun to shoot. It is designed as a self defense tool. For that purpose, it excels simply because you will forget it is even in your pocket. Strapping on a larger pistol is just too impractical for me.

I qualified for my CCW with my .32 even without sights. I agree with a prior poster that it will be the last gun I ever sell. The ammo is a bit finicky but you can find what works and what doesn't. Buffalo Barnes +P copper bullets work great in mine with an extra strength magazine spring from Wolff.

The slide racking is not much of an issue since you carry it with a round in the chamber like a revolver. It's long double action pull is the same "safety" as any revolver.
Old 03-17-2018, 7:55 PM

Holy necropost, Batman!
Old 03-17-2018, 7:59 PM

Love my Seecamp 32. Have no problems racking the slide, or shooting it accurately without sights. It is finicky with ammo other than Winchester silver tips and hornady hollow points. It fits in the change pocket of my jeans and disappears.
For an older woman I’d recommend a S&W 442/642
Old 03-17-2018, 9:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootshot01 View Post

The slide racking is not much of an issue since you carry it with a round in the chamber like a revolver.
So it's ok to have a revolver that the cylinder is so stiff once loaded the operator cant open it?
Old 03-17-2018, 10:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The .32 has a quirk
You cannot open the slide without the magazine in place.

It makes manipulations different.

Once can also damage a trigger part if you attempt to squeeze the trigger with the gun empty and the mag out, you will need a replacement part if you squeeze hard.

Great small guns from the 1990s. I am not sure in today’s market, they make sense in .380.

Lots of great small pistols
Glock 42/43
Ruger lc380 or lc9

Etc

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 03-18-2018, 6:32 AM
Veteran Member

I had one in 32acp. It was difficult to shoot accurately because of it having no sights. It also keyholed with ammo which might be a plus since hollow points probably wouldn't expand, but it couldn't help accuracy. As for the 380 seecamp from everything I have read they are pretty brutal to shoot because of them being blowback. I now have a Ruger LCP Custom which I can shoot more accurately and is lighter to carry.
Old 03-18-2018, 8:00 AM

I have the .32, and after shooting it several times I would not want to shoot the .380 version. But comparing a Seecamp to a LC9 or a Glock 43 is to miss the point of the Seecamp entirely. The gun is honestly half the size of a Glock 43. It is difficult to appreciate how tiny it is without having one next to another firearm, but it comes very close to fitting inside the box that standard playing cards come in.

As for accuracy, putting 6 rounds into a man-size target at 7 yards is not difficult.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2018, 8:23 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty99 View Post
I have the .32, and after shooting it several times I would not want to shoot the .380 version. But comparing a Seecamp to a LC9 or a Glock 43 is to miss the point of the Seecamp entirely. The gun is honestly half the size of a Glock 43. It is difficult to appreciate how tiny it is without having one next to another firearm, but it comes very close to fitting inside the box that standard playing cards come in.
It would be more apt to compare the Seecamp LWS series to other pocketguns and not with subcompacts & compacts.

Such as...
Beretta Model 21A
Beretta Model 3032
Beretta Pico
Cobra Arms CA series
Colt Mustang Lite
Colt Mustang Pocketlite
Diamondback Firearms DB380
Jimenez Arms JA series
Kahr Arms P-380
Kel-Tec P-32
Kel-Tec P-3AT
NAA Guardian
Remington RM380
Ruger LCP
Ruger LCP II
S&W Bodyguard 380
SIG P-238 series
Taurus TCP
Walther PPK

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 03-18-2018, 8:35 AM

I've had 4 seacamps all in 32acp . . 3 non ca and 1 ca version. Fun guns and can hid anywhere. I sold them all and they are not fun to shoot. They do fill a very specific roll.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:09 AM

I prefer Kel-Tek P-32, Ortgies and NAA 32 Guardian to Seacamp.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
It would be more apt to compare the Seecamp LWS series to other pocketguns and not with subcompacts & compacts.

Such as...
Beretta Model 21A
Beretta Model 3032
Beretta Pico
Cobra Arms CA series
Colt Mustang Lite
Colt Mustang Pocketlite
Diamondback Firearms DB380
Jimenez Arms JA series
Kahr Arms P-380
Kel-Tec P-32
Kel-Tec P-3AT
NAA Guardian
Remington RM380
Ruger LCP
Ruger LCP II
S&W Bodyguard 380
SIG P-238 series
Taurus TCP
Walther PPK
Here you go
Old 03-18-2018, 3:50 PM
Veteran Member

Seecamp 32. When I’m not carrying a g43 or a P7 and small size is crucial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2018, 11:46 PM

Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post, but the Seecamps are blowback guns (fixed barrel, no mechanical lockup of the slide). That was standard on .22, .25s, .32s and .380s for many years. This design requires a fairly heavy slide and recoil spring, and accentuates felt recoil. I think Kel-Tec was the first to come out with an ultra-compact .32 ACP with a mechanical lockup system (like nearly all 9mm and up handguns use). With these, the barrel recoils with the slide for a short distance upon firing, and then tips down at the chamber to unlock it from the slide. This allows the gun to be lighter, and reduces felt recoil. I think all the really small .380s made in the last 15-20 years or so (Kel-Tec P3At, Ruger LCP, Kahr P380, Sig P238, Taurus, etc.) use this system. While I've handled and admire the Seecamps, their use of the blowback design makes them somewhat obsolete in my opinion - though obviously they can still serve their intended purpose just fine for those who like them.