Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:11 PM

If you're bored and your wallet burning a hole in your pocket, why not start with some innocuous boring gun (used even) and turn it into a fun project gun?
Old 03-18-2018, 9:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old View Post
Seems from your original post, you collect glocks. I'll let an unfired gen4 G17 go for your $650 limit, but you take care of the $10+25 ppt costs also.
Was caught up in the SSE bandwagon, but regretted the purchase after handling it more at home after the 10day wait. It's now a backup to a backup. ...

Thanks for the offer. It is a great deal. I already have 2 Glock 17: 1 Gen 2 and 1 Gen 3.
I should have specified in my original post that I wanted a 10mm Glock 20 or 40 Gen 4.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 03-18-2018, 9:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Hi Points really aren't POS. They are inexpensive, heavy, clunky, reliable handguns that are almost as ugly as Glocks...
You are right, but since I have several other pistols there is no reason to step down to a Hi-Point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosh View Post
How about a single action revolver?? Freekin fun to shoot and the Uberti is very reasonably priced. Great to fondle too.... they are just beautiful.
Yes, they are beautiful guns, but they don't fit my hand. If they did, I would have had one 30 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
S&W Model 41. Roster exempt.
I can't really afford one of those. I saw one at the dealer a few days ago. I think it was $1200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che762x39 View Post
Browning High Power. Everyone should have one. The original classic 9mm
I looked at them 30 years ago. I didn't like them. They didn't fit my hand. A friend had one a year ago and I still didn't like them. He didn't either and sold it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73chevy View Post
Black Powder Revolver!
I just sold a bunch of Colt black powder guns. I priced them high so they wouldn't sell but they still sold. I may get a Walker or 3rd Model Dragoon.

I think I can get some off-roster revolvers if I convert them to Single Action Only. That opens up some options.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

Last edited by Carcassonne; 03-18-2018 at 9:58 AM..
Old 03-18-2018, 10:36 AM

You are the first person I've ever heard of who did not like the hand-fit of the BHP.

No offense, just a fact; based on my personal experiences talking with hundreds of firearm enthusiasts.

Oh, well.. Good luck to you.

-

IN-ALIENABLE - Defined by Webster as: incapable of being alienated, surrendered, or transferred .

Joseph Johnston - 4/14
Old 03-18-2018, 12:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyAbrams View Post
You are the first person I've ever heard of who did not like the hand-fit of the BHP.

No offense, just a fact; based on my personal experiences talking with hundreds of firearm enthusiasts.

Oh, well.. Good luck to you.

-
maybe OP needs a different hobby
Old 03-18-2018, 2:49 PM

Springfield Loaded Target 9mm. Yeah, it isn't a "look at me, I'm flush" expensive 1911, but they are fun to shoot.
Old 03-18-2018, 3:08 PM

Save up and buy a Kimber 1911. They’re great guns, you get the excellent 1911 trigger that’ll put any Glock trigger to shame. Kimber has several on the roster, 3”’, 4”, & 5” barrel lengths. I’m looking to get a 3” Raptor after tax season is over to go with my Ultra CDP.

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 03-18-2018, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterGunner View Post
Save up and buy a Kimber 1911. They’re great guns, you get the excellent 1911 trigger that’ll put any Glock trigger to shame. Kimber has several on the roster, 3”’, 4”, & 5” barrel lengths. I’m looking to get a 3” Raptor after tax season is over to go with my Ultra CDP.
Theres a kimber in 38super that i have my eye on, but i dunno. Jumped on a CZ P-01 while i think on it.
Old 03-18-2018, 7:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcassonne View Post
You are right, but since I have several other pistols there is no reason to step down to a Hi-Point.
From Glock to Hi Point a step down?

Matter of opinion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 03-18-2018, 8:24 PM
Calguns Addict

I kinda feel that way too I think about getting a p99 as or a steyr m9. they're off roster but pop up for decent prices from time to time. anything trendy though forget it. I've pretty much sworn off new purchases until I move. saved quite a bit of coin that way.
Old 04-03-2018, 7:23 PM

Cz 97?, do a little trigger work and they are beautiful, on the roster, holds ten 45s
Old 04-03-2018, 7:32 PM

OP: I hear you. Went through a similar process and finally settled for something for my wife. After that, I think I'm done with handguns. I am a minimalist, so I'm sort of fine with that. The two we have now will get the job done. But I feel for those that want more variety in their collection.
Old 04-03-2018, 8:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eswrite View Post
OP: I hear you. Went through a similar process and finally settled for something for my wife.

After that, I think I'm done with handguns.
I shortened what you wrote and it reminds me of how I feel!

I'm in the same situation. Being limited to the roster sucks but I sold some stuff and wanted one last handgun so I bought a boring Gen 3 G19.

It's my last handgun purchase as long as there's a roster. When my hsc expires next month I'm not renewing it!

I'll always have a current hunting license so that lets me buy and trade long guns which is going to have to satisfy.

But yeah, I'm done with handguns!
Old 04-04-2018, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

I might get a Beretta PX4 type G or a Ruger SP101 4" 357 magnum.

Old 04-04-2018, 2:36 PM

Becoming stagnant happens. Been there done that.

This is a good time to review the collection, consolidate those at the bottom of your list via sales, and procure that special wheel gun or 1911 in a higher price bracket.

Then the next evolution happens...

You either...

1) Know you've kept the right original guns in your arsenal and are happy with the latest premium gun. You save your pennies for the next premium gun.

2) First sentence above applies but instead you procure more of lower price range stuff that might interest you in the future, OR PPT for off roster stuff that becomes available at your then current budget, and rinse and repeat on purging more of the impulse buys you didn't need for another true gem.

More scenarios exist but you get the idea. Seems you ARE interested in something 'special' so where there's a will there's a way. Just takes a bit of time. I'm saving for a custom 1911 currently.

He who dies with the most guns doesn't win, unless that person is an octopus. Sometimes you have to refresh and need to think out of the box into another type of gun to keep things interesting. Say a nice SAA, or a custom built SA using an old consignment three screw Ruger BH as a base project?

If all else fails...

3) Take a step back for a few months or longer enjoying what you have. Meanwhile, save pennies for that right PPT deal, and comb the sales forums religiously for that right gun to come along.

Last edited by sierra11b; 04-04-2018 at 3:02 PM..
Old 04-04-2018, 4:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

As intended by our overlords, I'm also at the end of my buying/collecting due to a roster of old been-there-done-that handguns. The only thing that interests me, but not enough to buy are the Beretta 92FS and maybe a Glock 19 (I have a 17 and a 23 and like the full sized grip of the 17 better). CCW guns ... aren't much use without a CCW permit and the Shield I have would cover that anyway( ie there's nothing on the roster that I'd tryout for CCW purposes beyond the shield).

So as intended by the roster, I guess I'll put the money towards ammo.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 04-04-2018, 6:29 PM
Veteran Member

You have to pay to play. You probably have some nice toys already but if you can't afford spending more than $1K on something off roster, then you need to sell off a couple of your guns that you don't really shoot anymore and use that money towards buying something nicer that you want.

There is always something nice that you can buy but it's all about willing to pay a little more, or something a lot more with the CA markup, if you want it.

I did just that and bought a Sig P210A Target. Lots of people spent good money to buy the CZ Shadow 2 or the Tac Sport Orange.

Just pick something that you really want and figure out how you can get it.
Old 04-04-2018, 7:50 PM

>> but there is nothing on the roster worth a darn.

There are many good pistols on the Roster that I want to buy. The 30 days per pistol it help me a lot, I need at least 30 days to get the enough funding to purchase another pistol. The featureless accessories on the AW makes my AW looks even more attractive. All of my CA State Income tax refund that I cheat are used solely to purchase another pistol/revolver. The new ammo's law does not affect me at all because I reload the ammo at home.
And one more thing, I am planning to organize a group of advocate that will given out free marijuana to the homeless and addictive people in SF and Oakland and Sacramento area.
I Don't get mad I get even.

And the last thing is: I wonder what do the Sacto's dudes "SMOKE" when they wrote the microstamping regulations ?

Last edited by newbie1234; 04-04-2018 at 8:00 PM..
Old 04-04-2018, 8:09 PM

Quote:
I want a new handgun. There doesn't seem to be anything on the roster.

I don't want a low end 1911, and I can't afford a high end 1911.

I have no need for a small concealable handgun since I can't get a CCW permit.

HK costs too much.

I don't like Sig Sauer pistols.

I don't want another CZ

I already have all the Glocks I need that are on the roster (Can't get a Gen 4).

Revolvers cost too much.

Hi-Point is a POS.

Every once in a while I get the urge to try a Glock 38 45 GAP, but then the urge goes away. Luckily no one around here sells Glocks in 45 GAP.

Maybe I will get a used model 10 S&W and do a SAE.

So, I'd look at either Beretta's 92FS Brigadier INOX [9mm] or S&W's 686 Pro Series in Satin Stainless [.357 Magnum]...

Both are quality and not something everyone else already has... That's just me...
Old 04-04-2018, 9:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Revolvers cost too much? WTF ?
Old 04-05-2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
You know what? Air rifles are stupidly fun, and you can shoot in your backyard!
not quite, San Diego treats air rifles almost like a firearm
Old 04-05-2018, 4:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hate to say it but as Californians we really are missing out on some fantastic guns at great prices due to our handgun ban. Our roster is a handgun ban and buying used from exempt individuals doesn't make it any less of a ban.

Doesn't help that in addition to the gun ban we have a multitude of "poll taxes" and "poll tests" we have to deal with in order to exercise an enumerated constitutional right.

OP, I totally get where you are coming from. You should be able to get a CZ P-10, Canik, VP9, S&W, and a ton of other guns easily for under $500 but can't due to our handgun ban.

I won't even get into CZ Scorpion pistols or AR pistols and whatnot.
Old 04-05-2018, 7:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saym14 View Post
Revolvers cost too much? WTF ?
The ones I want are over $1000.

Old 04-05-2018, 7:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie1234 View Post
And the last thing is: I wonder what do the Sacto's Los Angeles dudes "SMOKE" when they wrote the microstamping regulations statutes?
Microstamping regulations are ministerial and benign. The problem is the microstamping statute.

The bill, AB 1471, (Ch.532, Stats. 2007) was authored by Assembly Member Feuer and co-sponsored by Senators Cedillo and Romero. All are from LA.

Mike Feuer is LA City Attorney...drop by his office and ask your question.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...00720080AB1471
Old 04-05-2018, 8:31 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I know you said you don't have a use for a compact pistol because you can't get a CCW, but one of my favorite pistols to shoot is my little Sig 238. Even if I didn't have a CCW, I'd still absolutely love that little pistol. It's incredibly accurate, and feels just so right in my hands (your anatomy may vary), especially with a Hogue rubber grip.

It ties with my Beretta 92 Brigadier as being my favorite pistol to shoot. Being tiny enough to conceal is just a bonus, but I'd buy one anyways even if I couldn't carry it.

Affordable, too. I got mine for $560 at Bass Pro. Add the hogue grip for $20, a couple extra magguts 7rd mags for $40 each, and 500 rounds of ammo, and you're still well under the $1000 mark.

If DOJ visits you regarding your RAW application: Avoid opening your door if they don't have a warrant. Don't consent to a search. Don't "talk your way out of it". Assert your right to remain silent until you have a lawyer present.

2018 CA Legislation Quick-Reference & Statuses

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 04-05-2018 at 9:58 AM..
Old 04-05-2018, 9:50 AM
Veteran Member

Do you reload yet? If not, that's where your $ should go.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 5.0L View Post
not quite, San Diego treats air rifles almost like a firearm
Yeah, same with my county... but only if they notice.

Old 04-05-2018, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
Yeah, same with my county... but only if they notice.
lol, my Ruger Blackhawk Elite sounds almost as loud as a .22
Old 04-05-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Microstamping regulations are ministerial and benign. The problem is the microstamping statute.

The bill, AB 1471, (Ch.532, Stats. 2007) was authored by Assembly Member Feuer and co-sponsored by Senators Cedillo and Romero. All are from LA.

Mike Feuer is LA City Attorney...drop by his office and ask your question.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...00720080AB1471
Thanks You for correcting and providing the information, I am sure remember those names on every election. Since they are in my area I knew what do they smoke.
Old 04-06-2018, 5:10 PM

I was feeling the same way 'til I decided on a Ruger SP101 in 9mm. Now I'm happy.
Old 04-06-2018, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconLair View Post
really? the thought never crossed your mind to try another roll pin?

if not it's probably an easy enough fix either way

talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water
It did. But others were having issues so it appeared to be a bug. As another guy mentioned, they have upgraded roll pins now. My guess is tey didn’t have them in that first year.
Old 04-06-2018, 6:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I want a new handgun. There doesn't seem to be anything on the roster.

I don't want a low end 1911, and I can't afford a high end 1911.

I have no need for a small concealable handgun since I can't get a CCW permit.

HK costs too much.

I don't like Sig Sauer pistols.

I don't want another CZ

I already have all the Glocks I need that are on the roster (Can't get a Gen 4).

Revolvers cost too much.

Hi-Point is a POS.

Every once in a while I get the urge to try a Glock 38 45 GAP, but then the urge goes away. Luckily no one around here sells Glocks in 45 GAP.

Maybe I will get a used model 10 S&W and do a SAE.

Haven’t bought an on roster gun since the stupid LCI, mag disconnect regs. Just keep trolling the handgun for sale section. You’ll find something you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2018, 3:36 PM

Quote:
I might get a Beretta PX4 type G or a Ruger SP101 4" 357 magnum.
Your recent post says interested in revolvers only in the $1K range...but my suggestion just for this post is you could get an sp101 match champion in 4.2" from grabagun which I think should be ok to mention here since they pay for their ad banner up here.

For only $25-50 or so above the regular sp101 4.2" from last I checked, you'll get an upgraded altamont grip that looks more compact than my hogue grips and a knuckle saver compared to the standard altamont's with wood inserts. Plus the MC will get tuning on the internal trigger/hammer assemblies, a target crown, fluted cylinder, and better fit/finish than standard...BUT the trade-off is the "Match Champion" banner on the lug and shims. I'd bet after a few cleanings or so, people would either fidget to get shims back in place, or even lose them on cleaning especially if they use air compressors to blow dry/clean parts. Trigger shims will be okay, hammer shims will be the problem.

If I could do a do-over, I'd get this in a heartbeat even at a $75-100 surplus over my standard 4.2". Just my hogue wood grips almost cost the difference. I have medium hands so I think my pinky will still be on the shorter than the hogue, altamont MC grips. Around $580+ tax/dros and your chosen ffl's trans fee, and you'll have more left over for ammo if you don't already own a .38/357. And might as well save, since after that you'll want a marlin 357 levergun to go with this when they come out again.
Old 04-08-2018, 1:58 AM

If you don’t already have one, get a Browning Buckmark.

Great to shoot/plink, and .22LR ammos are still relatively cheap.
Old 04-08-2018, 5:48 AM
Calguns Addict

38 snubbies always have a place.

Sportsman's warehouse is selling the Smith & Wesson 642 for $340.
OTD for under 4.

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...7203/cat135004

MPN:163810
Double Action Only
.38 SPL +P
Matte Silver
1.875in
5+1 Black Synthetic Integral
15 oz
Sale: $339.99
Reg: $429.99
Old 04-08-2018, 9:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
I already have an HK expert 45. If I could get a 9mm or 40S&W Expert for under $1000 OTD I would get one.

I have a Beretta 92A1

My budget is around $600-$650 OTD. If it is a Unicorn like the HK 9mm Expert or a Les Baer I might go up to $1000.

Your problem isn't the lack of guns on the roster. Your problem is that you own too many guns already. You own everything on the roster.
Old 04-08-2018, 3:24 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Les Baer 1911
Galil arm/ar/sar , Milled Sam7 , Yugo AK , & Sling loop version thumb grips available now
Old 04-09-2018, 12:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlebitis View Post
Your problem isn't the lack of guns on the roster. Your problem is that you own too many guns already. You own everything on the roster.
Yeah ... I think that's it for most of us. There is a short list we can choose from and we've all chosen the ones we like already and ... ran out.