Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder > Curio & Relic Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic Gallery Post pictures of your favorite milsurp here.

Old 06-21-2017, 8:31 PM

Default K31 Private Series

I swapped an old Mauser for a K31 the other day, to my surprise the receiver had a P before the serial number. The serial number coincides with the 1968/1969 Private numbers beginning with 2681xx. My question is, was this a parts rifle? The receiver and bolt match, the stock matches the hand-guard but doesn't match the receiver. It came w/ a non-serialized mag and the barrel has a Hamereli stamp but no serial number? The butt of the stock is dated 54 and has a IX. Is it possible this could be original? The stock is in pretty good condition and the barrel is perfect showing minimal wear on any of the blued parts, crown looks new as does the sight. Trigger and trigger guard show minimal to no wear? Any input is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2017, 7:21 AM
Veteran Member

Nice rifle, Stormin.

I've got one that is within a 100 or so of your serial number. I'll start a thread with pics...
Old 06-22-2017, 8:14 AM

Thanks! That would help, other than the serial number, are there any other similarities? Does yours seem like a parts rifle? I don't mind if you post your pics up on this thread. Thanks again

Old 06-22-2017, 6:36 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Old Mauser can mean many different things, but I will say K31's have been drying up, with prices floating around $500-ish for a decent specimen. It is almost pre-ordained that it will be a lights-out great shooter. Grab a case of GP-11 and get her shootin'!
Old 06-22-2017, 6:37 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin_67 View Post
Thanks! That would help, other than the serial number, are there any other similarities? Does yours seem like a parts rifle? I don't mind if you post your pics up on this thread. Thanks again

I would guess it was a rescued sporter, and that is OK. K31's are usually all matching, but the main thing is that in your case the bolt and receiver stayed together.
Old 06-22-2017, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Old Mauser can mean many different things, but I will say K31's have been drying up, with prices floating around $500-ish for a decent specimen. It is almost pre-ordained that it will be a lights-out great shooter. Grab a case of GP-11 and get her shootin'!

Heck yeah, picked up a case of GP11 for 279$ with free delivery from Luckygunner

Old 06-22-2017, 7:01 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Heck yeah, picked up a case of GP11 for 279$ with free delivery from Luckygunner

That is a pretty good price. You are 2 for 2!
Old 06-22-2017, 8:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I do not believe it is a parts rifle. It is all matching and has a walnut stock that seems to be contemporaneous to the serial number.
Old 06-23-2017, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I do not believe it is a parts rifle. It is all matching and has a walnut stock that seems to be contemporaneous to the serial number.

Ok, thanks very much, you guys have helped me figure out what I have. Sounds like mine is hodge podge of parts. Now that I know this, I am going to degrease the wood, and seal it back up w/ a mixture of turpentine and boiled linseed oil. Because the barrel appears to have been replaced, I am hoping it's s shooter. I hope this GP-11 ammo shoots well, if not I am going to buy some Norma brass and load my own ammo for it. Thanks

Old 06-23-2017, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post

It was an all matching Carl Gustaf Swedish Mauser from 1913. I bought it off GB for 515$. When it arrived someone had dropped it and cracked the handguard and bent the sight. I just took it on the chin and kept it. I was able to straighten the sight but repairing the handguard didn't go so well. Anyway, that was the trade.

Old 07-01-2017, 6:38 PM

The P stamp means it was bought by the soldier when he got out of the service. They had the option to buy their rifle, and a P was stamped on the serial number

Old 07-01-2017, 6:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbmx View Post
The P stamp means it was bought by the soldier when he got out of the service. They had the option to buy their rifle, and a P was stamped on the serial number

Per Guisan,

"There are two different kinds of P-stamps.

A P in line and ahead of the serial indicates that it is a private purchased rifle (with the looks of a military one).

A P stamped somewhere on the receiver indicates that the rifle is no longer military property mostly because of the soldier that used it choose to keep it at the end of his military career."

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...kings-on-K31-s