Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder > Curio & Relic Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic Gallery Post pictures of your favorite milsurp here.

Old 04-19-2017, 1:03 PM

Talking My first Mauser

This was an impulse-buy last week. I have been saving up to buy a U.S. Model 1917, but when the Empire Arms "New Stuff" list came out last week, I had an overwhelming urge to buy one of the Russian Capture 98Ks. It arrived today, so I thought I would share some pictures.

Here is the description:

Quote:
Model 98k Mauser bolt-action rifle # 3786f (8x57) mfg. by Bystrica (code dou 42) in 1942. A Russian reworked rifle in Excellent-PLUS condition, with 100% rebluing and intact bold Nazi eagles. Has all-milled parts electro-penciled 3786 to match receiver, bore is strong and mirror bright. Laminated buttstock has faint Army cartouches on right side with blued flat buttplate, repro cleaning-rod and front sight hood, no locking-screws. Very attractive.
Now I have to wait a few more months before I can get the 1917...

Last edited by AlienHobo; 04-25-2017 at 6:02 AM..
Old 04-19-2017, 1:19 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Empire Arms is well regarded, so I am sure you will be happy with it. Every time I open that email all the good stuff is already spoken for. An RC K98 is a perfect combination of historical significance and regular shooter. I'd get some repro capture screws and sling and put some lead downrange.

Some people try to "correct" RC K98's by removing shellac, looking for correct factory code parts, etc.

Please don't. It is exactly as it is supposed to be.
Old 04-19-2017, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I'd get some repro capture screws and sling and put some lead downrange.
Screws and sling has been ordered. I've already got about 1K rounds of 8mm. Should be fun!
Old 04-20-2017, 4:58 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

By the way, I can't see your pictures.
Old 04-20-2017, 5:12 AM
Calguns Addict

I can't see the pics either...

And thanks for the reminder....I need to send my C&R/COE to Dennis in preparation for the next email.
Old 04-20-2017, 5:30 AM

yeah we need pictures!
Old 04-20-2017, 6:02 AM

Really, you cannot see them? I can. I'm not sure what's wrong. I'll see what I can do to repost them.

Update: It looks like they were too big to be attachments, so I shared them from Amazon. Can you see them now?

Last edited by AlienHobo; 04-20-2017 at 6:21 AM..
Old 04-20-2017, 10:42 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Pics are good now. Rifle looks nice. Early war flat butt plate stock, not seen on rifles after 1940-41. But who cares, RC Frankenmausers are still awesome.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Good score !

The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are.
Old 04-21-2017, 8:15 AM

also interesting that its a 42 yet has a good looking sight hood, which, IIRC, didnt come out till 43.

so it mustve been armory refurbed before the russians got it then?

agree with the other posters..nice lookin RC mauser!
"If the American Left wanted to decrease interest in shooting, they should have the government make it mandatory like they do here in Switzerland. Nothing makes you not want to do something like when the government makes you do it."

"I'm over you." -Citadelgrad87

Old 04-21-2017, 9:34 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennsche View Post
also interesting that its a 42 yet has a good looking sight hood, which, IIRC, didnt come out till 43.

so it mustve been armory refurbed before the russians got it then?

agree with the other posters..nice lookin RC mauser!
I am fairly certain the grooved front sight and hood were standard by 1942, with 1941 being the transitional year.

Replacing a front sight hood on a Mauser is by far the most infuriating milsurp task I have ever encountered. OP, leave it on and don't fool with it. Trust me!!
Old 04-21-2017, 9:59 AM

Thanks for checking it out and for the advice.

I've got some Yugo surplus 8mm and I'm looking forward to taking it out for a spin.
Old 04-21-2017, 3:10 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Yugo surplus has been surefire for me in all my Mausers. Having an extra power Wolff firing pin spring in your bag is useful and get you back shooting if you encounter hard primers. Takes one minute and no tools to change it.

Read up on hangfires and how to deal with them safely just in case you have one.
Old 04-24-2017, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Replacing a front sight hood on a Mauser is by far the most infuriating milsurp task I have ever encountered.
A good snap ring plier works really nice for installing the K98 Mauser front sight hood. Insert the tips of the plier on the inside of the front sight hood and expand the plier outward to open up the slot at the bottom of the hood base to slip the hood on or off the rifle. You can put duct tape on the plier tips if you are worried about marring the finish of the hood. The pliers work well for both removing and installing the hood...at least, they did for me. I got this tip on the web from experienced Mauser owners. I imagine any needle tipped tool can do the same, but the snap ring plier is spring loaded and that assists in the expanding action.
Old 04-25-2017, 2:56 AM
Veteran Member

I recall reading on Mauser forums that if an earlier ungrooved for a sight hood Mauser went to a field depot or arsenal for work during the war, that they may have had grooves cut into the sight base at that time.

It was also said that many German infantry took the sight hoods off to improve their field of vision.

I have read a number of books of WWII from the German infantry viewpoint, but do not remember anyone ever talking about front sight hoods.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:26 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by loademup View Post
A good snap ring plier works really nice for installing the K98 Mauser front sight hood. Insert the tips of the plier on the inside of the front sight hood and expand the plier outward to open up the slot at the bottom of the hood base to slip the hood on or off the rifle. You can put duct tape on the plier tips if you are worried about marring the finish of the hood. The pliers work well for both removing and installing the hood...at least, they did for me. I got this tip on the web from experienced Mauser owners. I imagine any needle tipped tool can do the same, but the snap ring plier is spring loaded and that assists in the expanding action.
I have tried using regular needle nose pliers and that doesn't work at all. As soon as the hood starts to flex, it will fly off the end of the pliers. While the snap ring pliers seem like a much better solution, I refused to make a special trip to Home Depot to buy one tool to use one time. Instead, I spent hours trying to force it on and bounced the flying hood off my forehead at least once.

Like a caveman discovering fire, I finally opted to heat the hood in order to be able to bend it easier. That worked and I got it on, but then it was flexed too wide and loose to stay on securely. FML.
Old 04-25-2017, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loademup View Post
This is what I did when refurbishing my first Mauser (pattern) rifle - an M48BO. Easy peasy with snap ring pliers. Being a restorer of old cars meant the pliers were already in my tool box
Old 04-26-2017, 10:27 AM

How much did you pay for it? I got mine for $400 when I went to Arkansas.
Old 04-26-2017, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230infantry View Post
How much did you pay for it? I got mine for $400 when I went to Arkansas.
Just over $500 with shipping.