Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 03-09-2009, 7:56 AM

Default Pink Glock OK for Production class?

This might sound really stupid, but hey, it's California, so you never know....

I'm planning on getting into IPSC and/or related things (IDPA? GSSF? Steel challenge?) once I get my legalities sorted out.* I'd like to get my wife involved too, partly so she doesn't see it as something that's just for me that takes away from her, and partly also to have an ally in the home defence issue.

I saw a thread on GlockTalk.com about a pink Glock, and I thought "Hmmmm. I bet if I got her something like a G19 in fuchsia, she might go along with it!"

So my question is, would DuraCoating a pistol like that be an unacceptable mod for Production class (and whatever the IDPA and other equivalents would be)?

Or should I post this in the Ladies forum?

* We're Canadian, and I'm in CA on a work visa ("non-immigrant alien"). We have to have hunting licences before we can legally possess in the USA.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:13 PM

There isn't anything in the USPSA/IPSC Production-division rules about color. If she would shoot a pink Glock then get her a pink Glock
Old 03-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

The rules say:
"Authorized modifications (Strictly limited to these items and their stated guidelines)"
* Slide – refinishing. Milling of sli de – only asrequired to insert sights.

So, if the gun comes pink from the factory, you should be ok. If it doesnt, you're probably only allowed to get the slide refinished into pink. As the rules are written (no matter how silly it sounds) it doesn't look like you would be allowed to have the frame painted...
Old 03-09-2009, 4:25 PM

I saw that but there's a period after "refinishing". I don't see why you couldn't "refinish" the slide into a different color?
Old 03-09-2009, 5:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grywlfbg View Post
I saw that but there's a period after "refinishing". I don't see why you couldn't "refinish" the slide into a different color?
Yeah, slide should be ok, frame probably not.
Old 03-09-2009, 7:00 PM

Question Modification

I really doubt that the simple change of COLOR would be a disqualifier. People shoot olive drab, black, and desert tan color guns all the time.

Why should pink be any different?
Old 03-09-2009, 7:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellfedirishman View Post
I really doubt that the simple change of COLOR would be a disqualifier. People shoot olive drab, black, and desert tan color guns all the time.

Because the above-mentioned colors are factory configurations, not customizations. When the rules say "Strictly limited to these items and their stated guidelines", it kinda leads me to believe that no other mods are allowed, no matter how small or cosmetic they are... I agree with your point though, it is kinda silly, but rules are rules...
Old 03-09-2009, 8:25 PM
Veteran Member

Off topic, but maybe you can get her started through GSSF? Much easier than IDPA or IPSC, and no need for gears like holsters.
Old 03-10-2009, 6:15 AM
Veteran Member

Just wanted to place my 2 cents...... I've been shooting IPSC since 1994 and started using a Glock 24 40. The Glock 19 is to small for IPSC. I would suggest Glock 17 and go production all the way!

So my question is, would DuraCoating a pistol like that be an unacceptable mod for Production class? <---- For rules regarding production class visit www.uspsa.com

When I shot limited division all my Glock slides were hard chromed.

Last edited by Mstnpete; 03-10-2009 at 6:21 AM..
Old 03-10-2009, 6:44 AM
Veteran Member

Actually, this ruling is from NROI:
Quote:
The Board of Directors has reviewed an earlier interpretation of the rules, one regarding finishes to guns in Production division, and have decided to rescind this interpretation.
It will be now legal in the US to have your Production gun finish cosmeticly enhanceed,eg.Teflon,NP3,hard chrome, matt finish hard chrome, bright finish hard chrome etc., the Board of Directors felt that there is no advantaged gained, nor is it a ruling that could be enforced consistently.
So, you should be ok to get something like this:

Last edited by gose; 03-10-2009 at 6:51 AM..
Old 03-10-2009, 8:12 AM

That was EXACTLY the picture that triggered the thought in my mind.

'Cept she'd want a slightly darker shade of pink, if you know what I mean, but that's just a detail.

LOL. Great news. Thanks for all the info, everyone!
Old 03-10-2009, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellfedirishman View Post

It's irrelevant how "insignificant" the change is. As others have posted, Factory configurations are "ok", beyond this, rules are rules. IPSC is a game and if there are rules that define what you can do with the gun, so be it.

I'll simply say, that in my experience, NO ONE is going to care what color your gun is. If there's no money, prize table, trophies involved, it's not going to matter. In fact, if anything, I bet you'll receive even more encouragement to shoot!

You might not get officially scored, but you'll be able to play. All the club level matches I've been to, nobody cares or checks or thinks twice about what you shoot really.

I shoot here and there in SoCal. I've squadded with the USPSA President, area 2 director, Vidanes.. and I'll simply say they dont' care. They're more concerned about you being safe and having fun than whether or not you're following every single rule. Now if you were competing at an Area level match or a prize match, then yea, you'll need to follow the rules if you wanna stay in Production Division. If not, you'll be in Limited shooting minor, with a G19- lols..good luck with that.

Last edited by Voo; 03-10-2009 at 3:57 PM..
Old 09-07-2010, 5:21 PM

Red face Girls like to shoot pink guns!

Hi,
I just thought that I would let you and your wife know that I have been shooting USPSA matches with this pistol (my G-17) for three years at many major matches, and have NEVER gotten bounced for the paint. I won this pistol from a GSSF match that I came in DEAD LAST, but won the "new member pistol" from the match, and from then,,,,,the MONSTER grew! I now own 7 Glocks with pink Hogue Grips, and shoot a G-24 for USPSA, and my G-34 for Steel plate matches. If this is what will get your wife out shooting, then by all means, GO FOR IT!

However, this pistol has since been recoated in a powder coat. Its much more durable than the Duracoat, and she will be much more pleased with the results. The ALL pink gun, honestly looks like a toy, and is a bit tacky (IMHO), this keeps the pistol looking like a firearm STILL, but looks good. If she is serious about shooting, then anything to get her out there, is good! We NEED more ladies out there! Try facebook and the Link of Women of USPSA, to get more information! Take care from NJ!
Old 09-07-2010, 6:14 PM
Banned

Never, ever, use a pink pistol in USPSA, especially if combined with Hello Kitty, what is the shooting world coming to??

Half of the shooters at Norco have camo, or flames, or whatever... give me a break......

me? well, I am Old School, just plain black on black on black.

Last edited by HighLander51; 10-30-2010 at 9:26 AM..
Old 09-07-2010, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
Never, ever, use a pink pistol in USPSA, especially if combined with Hello Kitty, what is the shooting world coming to??

Half of the shooters at Norco have camo, or flames, or whatever... give me a break......

me? well, I am Old School, just plain black on black on black.
Wow,,,,,so sorry to offend,,,,I was just trying to help the guy out with his wife. You go ahead and stay "old School", I shoot what I like, and I like what I shoot, and, as long as I am out shooting, then I am happy. Nobody said that YOU had to agree with it, I was just trying to help a guy out that OBVIOUSLY asked about a Pink pistol in particular, (nobody said that YOU had to shoot it), he was asking about it, for his wife, and if we can bring MORE females in the sport, then I say, do what it takes. There are also PLENTY of Dudes shooting Red, Blue, Green and other colors as well, colored pistols are starting to become a part of the sport, and if you are old school, well then more power to you. Stay with your black gun and be happy with what you shoot, but PLEASE don't judge me, for what I CHOOSE to shoot, to make me happy, sir.
Thank you
Old 09-08-2010, 4:35 AM
In Memoriam

You go njglockgurl!!!!! To me Glocks are boring anyway. They need all the help they can get.
Wild colors, stripes, flames, dots, chrome, whatever you want
(Yes, I own a G35 with a grip reduction)
If you want Old School, it should be only blued guns! LOL!
Old 09-08-2010, 7:02 AM
Banned

Wink

njglockgurl......

Obviously my subtle sarcastic humor was wasted in that post. "Give me a break" was directed at the stupid USPSA Board of Directors rule (which they did finally get rid of).

I completely support pistols of color (and shooters of color), especially in pink overtones, unless they clash, there is nothing worse than clashing colors..... (personally I like the complimentary black on black.. kind of like Johnny Cash)

This pink and green is just hideous....

But this holster/pouch combo is very tastefully done, even with the red overtones.

Oh, and here is that color again! From a USPSA Women's Shooting Camp

Last edited by HighLander51; 10-30-2010 at 9:26 AM..
Old 09-08-2010, 9:22 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gose View Post
Actually, this ruling is from NROI:

Does the NROI (range officers) set rules for USPSA? I don't get the connection.
Old 09-08-2010, 9:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck View Post
Does the NROI (range officers) set rules for USPSA? I don't get the connection.
NROI (National Range Officers Institute) is the training/sanctioning body for range officers, chief range officers, match directors, tournament directors, etc, and rulings for the USPSA.
Old 09-10-2010, 7:43 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmca View Post
NROI (National Range Officers Institute) is the training/sanctioning body for range officers, chief range officers, match directors, tournament directors, etc, and rulings for the USPSA.
So, they don't make the rules, they just interpret them? And they said that painted pistols are okay for production class?
Old 09-11-2010, 7:32 PM

no they make the rules, and the rule just changed not to long ago.
I took the NROI range officer class not to long ago and one of the things lots of people asked about was refinished guns in production class. Internal external mods also had quite a few new additions and it seems that production class is becoming the new "limited 10" class with all the things that can now be done with the production guns. I wouldnt be surprised if they came out with a bone stock class

"wildhawker
People generally do what they want, not what they can, or should."
Old 09-13-2010, 7:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

According to the rules, custom coloring your pistol will give you 10% speed, 12% agility, 15% accuracy and 40% fear factor.