Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-20-2012, 6:34 AM
Veteran Member

Default Browning Hi-Power vs 1911 in 9mm?

Wondering about those who own or have shot both - what are your impressions on the differences, similarities, and which you liked better? I have a 1911, have owned a 1911 in .38 super, and have several CZ pistols, but have never shot either a 9mm 1911 or a Hi Power.
Old 02-20-2012, 7:23 AM

Both are great. Kind of a can't lose proposition. The HP feels better in my hand than the 1911, though a 1911 doesn't feel bad. The grip of the HP feels very similar to a CZ75.
The 1911 will have a better trigger than a HP. The HP trigger can be improved, but will never be as nice as a 1911 trigger.
I do own both, although no 1911 in 9mm, yet.
My current debate is if my next purchase is another HP or another 1911.

“Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can” Samual Adams
Old 02-20-2012, 7:56 AM
Veteran Member

I agree with Andy's observations above.

I recently picked up a Kimber Stainless Target in 9mm. It is easily the most accurate 9mm I have ever shot. Tack driving accuracy, flawless function (even on some of my reloads that other of my 9's may choke on), fastest follow-up shots this side of a .22lr. Kind of sorry I waited so long to pick one up. On the other hand, everyone has to have a HP.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:29 AM

I have both a SA 1911 9mm and a Browning HP. Both are excellent, but I prefer 1911 style grip. Nothing beats a 1911 trigger too. I feel the HP would be more reliable as it was designed for the 9mm. The 1911 9mm is more finicky and requires having a combination of good magazines, ammo, and springs combination.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:33 AM

I owned a SA loaded 1911 in 9mm. I sent it back to SA for FTF and stove pipe issues, they allegedly fixed it, I got it back shot it and it did the same thing. I sold it. I know other SA 1911 9mm owners with zero problems so it may have been the pistol I had. I then bought a BHP MKIII, and it shot accurate out of the box zero problems. I still have it. I recently picked up a RIA in 38 super, got a 9mm barrel, replaced the extractor, replaced the recoil spring, put a better trigger, and it shoots and functions all good. If you want quality out the box, get the BHP. If u like working on guns, get the 1911. Or get both like me They both cost about the same give or take. Good luck
Old 02-20-2012, 11:15 AM

BHP in 9mm is the original, 1911 in 9mm is a wannabe.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:45 AM

Location: Where they tax you on everything and give you the shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPGunner View Post
I have both a SA 1911 9mm and a Browning HP. Both are excellent, but I prefer 1911 style grip. Nothing beats a 1911 trigger too. I feel the HP would be more reliable as it was designed for the 9mm. The 1911 9mm is more finicky and requires having a combination of good magazines, ammo, and springs combination.
True when it comes to trigger, the 1911 is better and made even much better with tuning. That's due to that it doesn't have a mag disconnect safety and there are more 'smiths that can work on them.

I experienced the same thing: Despite the grittier trigger, the BHP is more reliable out of the box than an out of the box SA 9mm 1911 that I used to own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbspider View Post
I owned a SA loaded 1911 in 9mm. I sent it back to SA for FTF and stove pipe issues, they allegedly fixed it, I got it back shot it and it did the same thing. I sold it. I know other SA 1911 9mm owners with zero problems so it may have been the pistol I had. I then bought a BHP MKIII, and it shot accurate out of the box zero problems. I still have it. I recently picked up a RIA in 38 super, got a 9mm barrel, replaced the extractor, replaced the recoil spring, put a better trigger, and it shoots and functions all good. If you want quality out the box, get the BHP. If u like working on guns, get the 1911. Or get both like me They both cost about the same give or take. Good luck
I also sent a SA 1911 in 9mm that I owned due to slide not going back to battery after firing a round. Just for reliability, I stay with the BHP between them for 9mm.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:01 PM

I think the issue with SA 1911 9mm's is a combination of their weak recoil spring and super strong mainspring in the ILS mainspring housing used to launch the titanium FP that has a crazy strong FP spring (thanks to CA drop test requirements).

Replace all that stuff with standard equipment and it runs pretty reliably with a decent magazine and full power ammo.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

I have an FEG knock-off of the Hi-Power and a single stack Remsport 1911 in 9mm. I also have a Frankengun made from a Para Ord frame, Para Ord 9mm barrel, and a Springfield .38 Super slide using Para Ord 18 round +2 .38 Super magazines. I have several 1911's and just like the way the trigger breaks in a 1911.

The trigger on the FEG just feels wierd to me. Long and mushy. For a time I had the mag disconnect safety removed. That helped a little, but not that much so I put it back. I've never fired a CZ so I don't know that trigger.

You get more rounds in the magazine (legal pre-bans of course) of the Hi-Power over the single-stack 1911, but I get that all back plus more with the Para Ord set-up.

Randy
NRA Life Member

Last edited by brassburnz; 02-20-2012 at 12:36 PM..
Old 02-20-2012, 2:39 PM

If you already have a 1911, go for the Hi-power...
Old 02-20-2012, 4:01 PM

With the Hi-Power, get ready for slide bite if you are used to shooting a 1911 with a beavertail grip safety. That is really the only issue with the hi-power that I have ever come up with. Shot one a LOT in the recent past, and loved it. the 1911 in 9mm is great as well. the EMP platform is debugged and a great gun for a compact 1911, and in full size, there's a reason competition shooters use it.
Old 02-21-2012, 7:50 AM

The Hi Power does not have the grip safety on a 1911. I liked how the grip felt, but okay accuracy and a trigger that is not crisp like a 1911 is what made me go back to 1911 only.
Old 02-21-2012, 8:09 AM
Hold my beer & watch this
CGN Contributor

I own both and I guess it depends on what you want. I shoot my 1911's better because I am not used to the HP trigger yet but I am "combat" accurate. I like the HP because it is holds more rounds then a 1911 yet has the same controls of a 1911 minus the grip safety. It is also a single action gun although with the long reset it doesn't feel that way lol. I would get a HP because you already have some 1911's.
Old 02-21-2012, 1:00 PM

For games, 9mm 1911.
For carry, 9mm Hi-Power.
For general range duty, which ever floats your boat.

Reasons: 9mm 1911 will be the best choice for IDPA ESP or USPSA SS minor power factor and will not give you rule issues for IDPA or mag drop free issues for both games like the Hi-Power will. Also, 1911 trigger is superior for gaming.

For carry, Hi-Power has hi-cap magazines, is flatter and lighter. I own both I have gamed and do game with both. I have carried and do carry both. My views are based on personal experience.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member

No losers here---the P35 Hi Power is one of my favorite pistols---carried one almost every day for 12 years---everybody should have one, or three. The 1911 in 9mm is a bit more tricky---the pistol was designed around the 45 ACP round and everything has to be perfect (especially the magazines) for it will to work well in 9mm. The 1911 is a bigger gun that weighs more if that matters to you. I've shot several 1911s in 9mm that shot great---then there was one that had issues---was not my gun and don't know if it was ever made reliable. I would probably buy a P35 first and then the 1911 next.
Old 02-22-2012, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't buy anything here View Post
If you already have a 1911, go for the Hi-power...
This; why not switch it up?

Solidworks drafting
Old 02-22-2012, 8:13 AM
Veteran Member

I owned ( and own) several older Hi Powers. Also owned ( and own) several 1911's in 9mm.

As a WEAPON , Hi Power is much superior to a 1911 in 9mm.

As a shooter , a well tunned 1911 is a lot of fun.

If You want to compare a stock, production 1911 in 9mm VS. T-Series, C-series Hi Power, Browning will win hands down.
Old 02-22-2012, 8:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If it hasn't been mentioned, you need three hands to reassemble a BHP ......

Not really, so long as you have a method for keeping the hammer at full cock while replacing the sear spring and sear. Removing the magazine safety, either for good or for polishing, is a bit of a chore. I leave mine in but polich the heck out of the pad and reduce spring pressure, it helps quite a bit.

The BHP seems to be a little easier for people to shoot well. Very unscientific but having recently gone to the range with some newer shooters they all plinked the daylights out of a target at 15 & 25 yds with the BHP, not so much with the 1911s. The 1911s were in 45 ACP & that may have had an impact, but all were very happy with the feel of the pistol.
Old 02-22-2012, 8:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Accuracy wise, I'd say the 1911 in 9mm wins versus most Hi-powers since you can tighten the barrel fit more easily due to the bushing and the 1911 has a superior trigger versus any Hi-Power except a GP Competition.

However the Hi-Powers are very reliable and have great ergonomic feel to most people hands. In an informal test done during WWII they had new recruits shoot 1911's and Hi-Powers and approximately 70% chose the Hi-Power as their favorite and scored better with them, but the recoil of the .45acp is a bit much for some new shooters.

While I like the older Hi-Powers due to their polished blue finishes, the later models are a bit stronger. Weak spots on the Hi-Powers are their slides and extractors as they're a tad small/weak.

I would encourage anyone to give a Hi-Power a try, its a timeless classic.

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

Old 02-22-2012, 9:11 AM

I used to own an 60's era Belgian bhp
Sent it to Novak for sights
Did the safety and navidrex stocks
Had lots of hicaps
Sold it last spring as I found my springer 9mm saw lots more use and carry
The bhp sat in the safe for years
So I sold it and the mags as kits and bought a smith performance center m&p while I was still a leo and lots of mags
The m&p has been carried alot alot
Ditto the springer 9mm
I used to have 38 supers and was sorry I sold them but I now don't miss the super as the 9mm loaded with corbon is just fine in my tt gunleather iwb
Greebo, as a matter of feline pride, would attempt to fight or rape absolutely anything, up to and including a four-horse logging wagon. Ferocious dogs would whine and hide under the stairs when Greebo sauntered down the street. Foxes Kept away from the village. Wolves made a detour. Terry Pratchett
Old 02-22-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
If it hasn't been mentioned, you need three hands to reassemble a BHP ......

Not really, so long as you have a method for keeping the hammer at full cock while replacing the sear spring and sear. Removing the magazine safety, either for good or for polishing, is a bit of a chore. I leave mine in but polich the heck out of the pad and reduce spring pressure, it helps quite a bit.

The BHP seems to be a little easier for people to shoot well. Very unscientific but having recently gone to the range with some newer shooters they all plinked the daylights out of a target at 15 & 25 yds with the BHP, not so much with the 1911s. The 1911s were in 45 ACP & that may have had an impact, but all were very happy with the feel of the pistol.
I have no problems taking mine apart and putting it back together. I disagree.

Others talked about hammer bite, I've also never had an issue. But everyone has different size hands, so I guess that really comes into play.
Old 02-22-2012, 2:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mana4real View Post
I have no problems taking mine apart and putting it back together. I disagree.

Others talked about hammer bite, I've also never had an issue. But everyone has different size hands, so I guess that really comes into play.
No hammer bite here either. I have large but fairly boney hands.

Regarding taking it apart, I mean entirely - removing the safety, ejector, hammer, sear and sear spring. If we're speaking of the same level of disassembly and reassembly, how do you keep the hammer at full cock, the sear spring in place and the sear in place? I used to hook my thumb over the hammer spur and index finger down the magwell to keep the sear spring in place - then drop the sear in place and hope I could get the pin in place before my thumb got tired. Now I loop a piece of metal over the hammer spur and into the magwell via the backstrap, lots easier.
Old 02-22-2012, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
No hammer bite here either. I have large but fairly boney hands.

Regarding taking it apart, I mean entirely - removing the safety, ejector, hammer, sear and sear spring. If we're speaking of the same level of disassembly and reassembly, how do you keep the hammer at full cock, the sear spring in place and the sear in place? I used to hook my thumb over the hammer spur and index finger down the magwell to keep the sear spring in place - then drop the sear in place and hope I could get the pin in place before my thumb got tired. Now I loop a piece of metal over the hammer spur and into the magwell via the backstrap, lots easier.
I've never taken it down that far. So I can't say how difficult it may be to "completely" tear it down. The high power I have is older then I am.
Old 02-22-2012, 7:30 PM
Veteran Member

From my experience a nice quality 1911 is way way nicer than a Hi power. I had both since the mid 70s and while in their time the Hipower was cool a Glock or XD is a nicer 9mm than a Hipower and a 1911 is well a 1911 .
It is not that hard to take a Hi power or a 1911 apart " how often do they have to come apart?". Glocks are the best to take apart though.

Last edited by Sunday; 02-22-2012 at 7:33 PM..
Old 02-22-2012, 7:51 PM

Default 9mm or .45?

I dunno, seems a 1911 in 9mm is trying to combine two good aspects from two different packages into a new package that doesn't make a lot of sense. Yes, a 9mm 1911 can be made to work well, I guess, but why bother? If one wants a personal defense weapon in .45 (bigger holes, more recoil, fewer rounds), get a 1911. If one want a PDW in 9mm, get a BHP. Why would one want a PDW 1911 in 9mm? Heavier/bulkier gun than a BHP with fewer rounds. Now if one wants a paper puncher, if not recoil sensitive, then a 1911 is maybe a better choice, given its intrinsically better trigger. If more comfortable with the 9mm format for target work, then get a Sig P210. Really, paper => 1911 in .45 ACP. Personal defense, either 9mm => BHP, or .45 => 1911. One last comment, the grip feel of a BHP is better than anything else imaginable excepting what I can't mention in a family forum.
Old 02-22-2012, 8:08 PM
Veteran Member

Get both!!! You can get a reliable new 9mm 1911 and a used HP for about the same price if you are willing to do a SSE or a PPT. I own both and I prefer the 9mm 1911 over the HP but the HP is still a wonderful gun.

PS: Women love all 1911's, but they especially love the ones in 9mm
Old 02-22-2012, 8:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Yes, women love 9mm 1911. Especially stainless steel color.

H&K VP9 W/Garret Industries Holster & Mag carrier
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...8#post18075738
Sig P320 9MM Full W/Night sights & custom holster
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1192448
Old 02-23-2012, 5:43 AM

BHP...higher capacity magazine is the clincher.
Old 02-23-2012, 6:12 AM

I like this thread, but I am still borderline with buying a BHP, because I bought a CZ75-SA already, close enough right?
Also do have a 1911-9mm, great fun gun, it's a definitely a buy.

Just can not see myself buying a BHP~$850 with the 1911 and CZ already.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunafficionado View Post
BHP...higher capacity magazine is the clincher.
You can get quality 10 round 9mm 1911 magazines...

Now, if you have pre-ban magazines for the hi-power or are a LEO then it is a different story, but most people do not own regular capacity magazines for guns they do not already have.

But yes, 13+1 is better than 10+1 with a flush fitting magazine.

Last edited by InGrAM; 02-23-2012 at 3:21 PM..
Old 02-23-2012, 12:57 PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I love both the 1911 platform and the sexiness of the Hipower. the HP is a little more concealable IMHO ,and shoots to the point of aim.
I concede that one should have at least one of each for all the reasons mentioned in earlier texts.
Old 02-23-2012, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 Blast View Post
Wondering about those who own or have shot both - what are your impressions on the differences, similarities, and which you liked better? I have a 1911, have owned a 1911 in .38 super, and have several CZ pistols, but have never shot either a 9mm 1911 or a Hi Power.
I was going to get a hi-power back around 1990, but it didn't feel comfortable in my hands, so I would pick a 9mm 1911 over those two choices.

Ohh the guns I should have bought back then....
“The most reliable sign, the most universal behavior of unscrupulous people is not directed, as one might imagine, at our fearfulness. It is perversely, an appeal to our sympathy”
Martha Stout – “the sociopath next door”
Old 02-23-2012, 10:55 PM

I think the HP is a beautiful gun to carry and holds more rounds. I traded it and some $$ away for a 95% Python which moves the world for me. That said, my Springfield Trophy Match 1911 in 9mm is flat out the best shooting gun I own. My wife loves it, my kids love it, and I love it almost as much as my vintage Mark IV Series 70 Colt 1911. The SA Target Loaded is a roster gun and will shoot better than most.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member

Dang you guys! Now I'm more confused than before! I'll probably just have to break down and get both! Initially I was leaning toward BHP because it's a JMB original, it was the last design he was working on before his death - so it stands to reason he put some refinements in the design of the Hi-Power that he didn't incorporate in the 1911. (IIRC Browning had to include things like a grip safety in the 1911 that his original design didn't have)

Those I know who own a BHP say it's just such a "natural pointer." Well- the same is true for me wrt the 1911.

However, I have CZ pistols which are a close enough facsimile of a BHP that getting one seems redundant. I have heard many good things about a 1911 in 9mm, people rave about its "fun factor" and the main objection to them isn't cost, or reliability, but rather "Why get a 9mm in a platform designed to shoot a .45?" Well - why conversion kits then? Why shoot .22 out of a gun that has the dimensions of a .45? For practice, muscle memory, and let's face it - fun!
Old 02-24-2012, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Dang you guys! Now I'm more confused than before! I'll probably just have to break down and get both! Initially I was leaning toward BHP because it's a JMB original, it was the last design he was working on before his death - so it stands to reason he put some refinements in the design of the Hi-Power that he didn't incorporate in the 1911. (IIRC Browning had to include things like a grip safety in the 1911 that his original design didn't have)

Those I know who own a BHP say it's just such a "natural pointer." Well- the same is true for me wrt the 1911.

However, I have CZ pistols which are a close enough facsimile of a BHP that getting one seems redundant. I have heard many good things about a 1911 in 9mm, people rave about its "fun factor" and the main objection to them isn't cost, or reliability, but rather "Why get a 9mm in a platform designed to shoot a .45?" Well - why conversion kits then? Why shoot .22 out of a gun that has the dimensions of a .45? For practice, muscle memory, and let's face it - fun!
Hit the nail on the head with this post. Get the 9mm 1911 and the HP later. You won't regret it in the least.
Old 02-24-2012, 5:07 PM

Hammer bite
Older guns with rowel hammers can bite
I've got a scar that's Been years in the making
But won't be doin it no more cause I sold it!
Bhp + rowel = bite
Greebo, as a matter of feline pride, would attempt to fight or rape absolutely anything, up to and including a four-horse logging wagon. Ferocious dogs would whine and hide under the stairs when Greebo sauntered down the street. Foxes Kept away from the village. Wolves made a detour. Terry Pratchett
Old 02-24-2012, 5:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Dang you guys! Now I'm more confused than before! I'll probably just have to break down and get both!
Ah, then our work here is done ....
Old 02-24-2012, 6:21 PM

Location: Where they tax you on everything and give you the shaft.

Quote:
Fact: The BHP pistol as it is today and as it was released back in 1935 is nowhere near to the original JMB design. His original designs were: a blowback design and a striker-fired locked-breech design with both using a double stack 16rd magazine. After he died in 1926, Dieudonne Saive continued with the locked-breech design and adopted many of the 1911's features (when its patents expired in 1928) into the design until the final product release.

Quote:
Since you have CZ pistols, you pretty much answered the question of why to buy a BHP? IMHO, the CZ's are great pistols for the money and better buys than the BHP. So, go ahead and get the 9mm 1911 regardless what folks are saying about it.

One suggestion: I don't know if it's on the Roster List, but why not a Single-Action CZ75?