Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 05-25-2013, 1:09 PM

Default Trijicon ACOG dual illumination or not

I'm in the market for a ACOG, so many to choose from, my question is to help narrow my choices, I definitely want one with good mid-range magnification, but where I'm not 100% sure is whether to get one with dual illumination or not. Can you gentlemen share with me your thoughts on dual illumination?
Old 05-26-2013, 7:40 PM
Veteran Member

For a comparison, see: http://www.firearmreviews.net/acog-comparison/

As for dual illumination, my opinion is that it is the only way to go when it comes to an ACOG. Without it, you cannot use the Bindon Aiming Concept, which enables you to use it for quick target acquisition. The reticle also draws your eye when it's glowing a bright red, green or amber color and makes it faster when using the scope the normal way (non-BAC). Without it, it's like any other 3x or 4x scope scope. The tritium is only useful for very, very dark scenarios (IMO, either pitch black or night vision use). Do yourself a favor and get a dual illuminated model.....you won't regret it.

Last edited by goodlookin1; 05-26-2013 at 7:42 PM..
Old 05-27-2013, 9:43 AM
Vendor/Retailer

ACOGs are awesome for a wide open battlefield but I think an illuminated 1-4x has more versatility.
Old 05-30-2013, 7:40 PM

In my opinion it's trijicons fiber optics that really make the acog shine. I picked up the bac idea real quick and find it extremely usable. I have a 4x model and if the eye relief isn't an issue for you, all the other aspects of the 4x models can't be found in any other optic. They are lightweight, durable, and the fov is better than most lower magnification models. The eye relief is short and I don't think I would mount one to a 30 06, but for a 556 carbine it's a great match.
The elcan spectre dr is awesome if you don't like the whole bac idea, but its also much heavier. Pricey too. There are also lots of variable 1-4,6,8... Scopes on the market but once again they are heavy.
The ta01's ect are great scopes but IMO your losing alot of functionality by skipping on the fiber optics.