Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 05-21-2018, 4:25 PM
Veteran Member

Default How best to ship a varmint rifle for repair from San Diego to NE?

Hi, i would like to ship my old varmint rifle to a shop in NE that my Dad used to use, just wanted to get some work done.

I'm not sure how best to ship it. I went to our local FedEx shop but they didn't seem all that interested. It's all safely boxed up. No ammo.

I checked the shipmygun.com website but unfortunately the package is just slightly taller than their allowance, it's 57inches and they will only accept up to 51inches if i recall correctly.

Is there a good and hopefully not too expensive way to ship it. I'm in San Diego. Thanks
Old 05-21-2018, 4:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

UPS hub.
UPS store will not ship it.
Old 05-21-2018, 4:41 PM

USPS Priority. you can buy and print a shipping label at home, then take the box to your local post office.
Old 05-21-2018, 4:45 PM
Veteran Member

If you are shipping the complete rifle, take the action out of the stock and pad them separately. I have read many stories of rifles arriving broken, so when I have one shipped to me I insist on separation. UPS seems to be the worst culprit from reading and personal experience. I have had quite a few shipped to my FFL by USPS, all arriving in good condition.

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 05-21-2018, 5:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Ship it USPS.
Take the stock off and only ship the parts needed for repair. If the whole rifle must go separate the stock from the barreled action. Put the small parts in a baggie and then the whole thing will fit into a smaller box. That is if you need to do so to save shipping costs.

I have shipped a number of firearms USPS and actually had better luck with them arriving on both ends with no damage. Cannot say the same about Fed-ex or UPS.
Old 05-21-2018, 5:17 PM
Veteran Member

i tried to print my own label for priority but the dimensions are too large supposedly.

thanks....i'll unpackaged and take it apart and try again.
Old 05-21-2018, 6:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Take it into your local Post Office and let them put the postage on for you. You are allowed 130 inches of length and girth depending on method used so you should be good to go.
I use a couple of garbage bags to wrap the rifle then I tape it well.
I build my own box out of cardboard and make it two layers deep.
I spray the inside of the box with large gap filler foam you get at the hardware store and I use strapping tape.
USPS no longer sells strapping tape so get a roll at the hardware store.
Your package will survive with any of the shippers but only if it is packaged correctly.
I use USPS because I work there and it's a little bit cheaper.
Take a lot of pictures of your gun before shipping it especially the serial number and insure it for its replacement value.
A 17 pound 1000 yard light gun runs $34- $86 depending on how you mail it so tell the clerk you want to ship it as cheaply as possible.
If you use a priority label on a first class package it changes the package from first class to Priority and you'll pay a premium. It will not get there any quicker from my experience but it will cost you more.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

Last edited by LynnJr; 05-21-2018 at 6:04 PM..
Old 05-21-2018, 7:07 PM
Veteran Member

thank you everyone, this information helped a lot. appreciate it
Old 05-21-2018, 8:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnJr View Post
I use USPS because I work there
Ruh roh, I better quit saying bad things about Remingtons. Wouldn't want LynnJr to go postal.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:41 PM

I wrapped mine in bubble wrap. Took it to the ups store, they put it into a box and shipped it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2018, 4:45 AM
Veteran Member

Your in San Diego ship via fed ex. they are in kearny mesa. no issues shipping multiple times with them,
Old 05-22-2018, 4:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

USPS priority mail. No markings on box that shows it is a firearm. Declare and ship. FFL can shipback direct to you. I use double cardboard as well. I do it a lot when I hhave to much stuff for checked baggage.
Old 05-22-2018, 7:43 PM

Take it to the UPS hub in Kearny Mesa.
Old 05-23-2018, 9:12 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone...it's on its way. I took it apart and packed it really well and double boxed it as well. i used a hard case and then a cardboard case. Fingers crossed in a few weeks it will be back and i'll finally get a chance to try it out. She's a 1976 Varmint Rifle that needed some care. Sent it back to the smith my Dad used way back when.

In case anyone wants to know. It measured 49 inches long, weighed 19 lbs and cost $60 with insurance/tracking from USPS. They were pretty reluctant to send it first class with the holiday weekend coming up, so not wanting to push the issue i settled on Priority.

I was going to go with shipmygun but they needed the receiving party to send them a copy of their ffl and 19lbs exceeded their limit of 15 lbs so i went with USPS...and of course LynnJr's recommendation who's never steered me wrong.

Last edited by mtenenhaus; 05-23-2018 at 9:20 AM..